PDA

View Full Version : Thieves

drake123
01-12-2018, 04:35 PM
So the local authorities nabbed a guy trying to steal my new f350 at 9am this morning. He spilled info that my property has been cased a few times, as expected. Any suggestions out there for acreage (75acres) security?

Talking moose
01-12-2018, 05:28 PM
How did they catch him?

Newview01
01-12-2018, 05:30 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_SGR-A1

cdmc
01-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Upside down harrows?

fishtank
01-12-2018, 05:43 PM
f350 seem to popular on their list:scared:...nothing beats a big dog for a acreage.

yoteblaster
01-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Talked to a police officer the other day. He said the f stands for “free” when it comes to the ford 350s. Very popular target for thieves. Big dog would be my suggestion. That’s what we have on our farm. We can’t touch the scum but our dog will

Scottmisfits
01-12-2018, 05:58 PM
The way the laws are in Canada, a big dog is great as long as it scares them away. As soon as the dog touches them, the owner is now responsible. About the only thing that you could do would be set up cameras with motion detection. Maybe there is a company that does something with regards to rural surveillance?

gitrdun
01-12-2018, 06:00 PM
I would suggest an outside dog with availability to come in the house through a dog door for warmth. It doesn't have to be a man eating dog, just one that barks his fool head off when someone shows up. I also have motion sensors.

Twisted Canuck
01-12-2018, 06:05 PM
How about those little drones with 3 grams of explosives we've been hearing about....in conjunction with a no trespassing sign, should be fine!:)

stubblejumper01
01-12-2018, 06:07 PM

That's the ultimate home defence system!! That would stop all the bs going on if it was known that this could be protecting people's property

Trochu
01-12-2018, 06:09 PM
They had a town hall meeting around here. The local "cop" suggest increasing lighting, removing bushes from around the house, and installing a gate. :rolleye2:

Hillbilly 12
01-12-2018, 06:12 PM
They had a town hall meeting around here. The local "cop" suggest increasing lighting, removing bushes from around the house, and installing a gate. :rolleye2:

Lol really?, why not put public statements out to criminals. If you get killed or wounded trying to steal it's your own fault. So maybe don't steal...

royal coachman
01-12-2018, 06:13 PM
i had a F350 stolen out of my yard last December. RCMP caught the guy with it in Revelstoke and he got 90 days of which he probably served 30. I vote for a sneaky Blue Heeler that doesn't bark but bites like a shark!

KGB
01-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Drones with a 200 gramm of explosives are fine, just like a big angry dog. Just don’t forget to hide the body after. :scared0018:

elk396
01-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Security gate, they can't even get in your yard if you have one, best money I ever spent.

Twisted Canuck
01-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Claymores and punji pits, a few trip flares, maybe some white phosphorus grenades on a trip wire...word will get around.

elk396
01-12-2018, 06:39 PM
Friends of ours had a semi-visious German Shepard in their garage, the thieves came into the garage, were seen petting the dog on the security camera, lol, loaded all the tools in the truck and then stole it.

Homesteader
01-12-2018, 06:44 PM
A dog that barks at vehicles and people they don’t know, and a wingmaster!

Unfortunately, or I should probably say fortunately they won’t come to take anything when you’re there.

Rockman
01-12-2018, 07:53 PM
You should get one of these:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/95/9d/83/959d83cbe88f8465b0264a8f9743cc19--big-dogs-dog-pictures.jpg

Problem is they tend to be a little too aggressive.

BUSHRVN
01-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Look up “Dakota Alert 2500”. This system work very well at up to 2500 feet, wireless and so far reliable for me. You can put an external speaker outside on a toggle switch as well so that when it’s tripped, they will know they’ve been detected as well and possibly leave before they get past the driveway even.

Bassett
01-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Wire in a kill switch on your truck, cheap and easy to do. Will help save it.

MountainTi
01-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Couple dogo's should work

srs123
01-12-2018, 08:28 PM
So back in the day, 15 years ago maybe there was this guy in halifax who was just getting into his driveway and saw a thief exit his place with the Dvd player, so he steered the car into the thieve and ran him over on the driveway and broke his arm. Cops came and arrested both. The thief got charges dropped and sued the owners insurance for damages. The owner got charged with assualt.

Be careful with trying things like that, just get a camera system and put some insurance on your home

Newview01
01-12-2018, 08:39 PM
So back in the day, 15 years ago maybe there was this guy in halifax who was just getting into his driveway and saw a thief exit his place with the Dvd player, so he steered the car into the thieve and ran him over on the driveway and broke his arm. Cops came and arrested both. The thief got charges dropped and sued the owners insurance for damages. The owner got charged with assualt.

Be careful with trying things like that, just get a camera system and put some insurance on your home

AKA bite the pillow, they're going in dry.

300-510
01-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Security gate, they can't even get in your yard if you have one, best money I ever spent.

What's the price on that set up.

Weedy1
01-12-2018, 08:44 PM
You should get one of these:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/95/9d/83/959d83cbe88f8465b0264a8f9743cc19--big-dogs-dog-pictures.jpg

Problem is they tend to be a little too aggressive.

Is it the 1970's Adidas that tend to make central european looking men too aggressive?

Old longBow
01-12-2018, 08:52 PM
:fighting0021:
Was it not said and I quote "Shoot, Shovel, SHUT UP!!!

Suzukisam
01-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Until ford clean up thier act buy a chev. If not buy a electric fence kit from princess auto and clip it to your front number when parked. Or a leg hold trap by drivers door covered with snow or hay. You use pass door. They will only try once

Don_Parsons
01-12-2018, 09:15 PM
We bought the camera / smart phone system.

We placed hidden cameras all around the property.

Each station sends a notification to our phones and 3 nabours on our road,,, we are linked into their systems as well.

Nabour hood watch at its finest.

We took part in the rual crime watch seminar on Tuesday, I think our next plan is to add a some cameras at both ends of our county road now.

Today's new servalance cameras take very clear pictures, and the cameras are hidden away unseen.
Crazy what these tech companies come up with.

Don

Twisted Canuck
01-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Neighbor?

parfleche
01-12-2018, 09:34 PM
If there is something I hate its a thief ! BUT all these hairy ideas will only get someone in trouble! Yeah I know we all feel like hanging a thief , but in today's world it just isn't worth it! There is NOTHING of material value that deserves taking a life! not even a ford 350! Its ridiculous that a person has to do so much to protect his property ,And again be restricted in what he is legally able to do .Our hands are tied here in Canada! I believe it may be the government IE {police} are scared to lose control ! It,s a lot easier to punish the man attempting to protect himself or his property than to try and get restitution from a no account, who does not have a pot to pee in to start with ! likely the best protection is to lesson the opportunities that afford thieves to steal to begin with .

rossi
01-12-2018, 09:35 PM
A neighbour of mine installed a sensor in the driveway and two cameras in his yard. The sensor is planted 6 inches in the ground a ways down the driveway that alerts to his phone. The cameras also alert to his phone pretty neat system.

drake123
01-12-2018, 09:53 PM
A neighbour drove by and called the authorities.

Big_Willy
01-12-2018, 10:00 PM
F-350 needs this option as standard equipment;

https://youtu.be/Iyh0bG7FWJg

-Willy

Hunt4Ever
01-12-2018, 10:18 PM

Yes put a kill switch into the ground of the inertia fuel switch.

trophybook
01-12-2018, 11:10 PM
Just shoot them keep tight lipped and dump them by the sun child or O'Chiese

Bourbon Outdoorsman
01-12-2018, 11:33 PM
f350 seem to popular on their list:scared:...nothing beats a big dog for a acreage.

Fords are the easiest to steal

jstubbs
01-13-2018, 12:23 AM
You have three choices: continue your life and make insurance claims, create a defense mechanism in the form of mean dogs or otherwise (which is not always legally secure), or move to a jurisdiction that has laws that are more to your favour.

The first and last point are the only legally safe options. Ask your lawyer. You can try your best with cameras, hiding your nice stuff, whatever. Thieves don’t care. Once you’re on their radar, it’s nothing but a matter of time.

Best of luck, OP.

liar
01-13-2018, 12:30 AM
lots of camera recommendations . we have some at work and have all kinds of pictures of thieves stealing our stuff . which is kind of neat , i guess . pretty expensive " entertainment " because they have been no help in trying to stop or solve a crime .
i was on side when we first started installing them and considered getting some at home but now i'm glad i saved my money .

Walking Bear
01-13-2018, 12:50 AM
I see lots of good advice here and lots of stupid stuff..... If you want to spend 10 years in the big house do the stupid stuff. ....

Thieves hate NOISE and LIGHT.......it draws attention fast.

What I have done in the past is let a round fly out of your big rifle...Don't shoot to hurt anyone...... No criminal will boast about how he got shot at when he is bragging on coffee row. And I keep my mouth shut..... and it don't happen again. But I don't live close to civilization.........

HunterDave
01-13-2018, 01:51 AM
A camera is a passive defence and is useless as a defence unless you plan on monitoring it 24/7. A big dog that’s going to deter thieves and alert you would be my choice. I know of one 180 lb dog that the thieves wouldn’t chance getting out of the truck to pet......lol. Not vicious but VERY intimidating. :)

Red Bullets
01-13-2018, 04:52 AM
IMO only... I think a few pit traps in selective places around the acreage would work just fine.
Dig a pit 10 feet deep and put a trap door that can be 'set' over the hole. Put a good soft foamy on the bottom so the crook doesn't get hurt. Put a bottle of water and a sandwich in there too. Set the traps at night. Have one right beside your truck door even or along the sides of buildings. In the morning check your pit traps and if you have caught a culprit call the cops and tell them they can take their time coming.
Pit traps work for rabbits and grouse. A thief isn't much smarter.

TylerThomson
01-13-2018, 06:07 AM
I see lots of good advice here and lots of stupid stuff..... If you want to spend 10 years in the big house do the stupid stuff. ....

Thieves hate NOISE and LIGHT.......it draws attention fast.

What I have done in the past is let a round fly out of your big rifle...Don't shoot to hurt anyone...... No criminal will boast about how he got shot at when he is bragging on coffee row. And I keep my mouth shut..... and it don't happen again. But I don't live close to civilization.........

We've been through this before. Some of the less intellectually endowed suggest killing people as a deterrent and will never admit that noise light and having people watch them will ever stop a single theft.

Unregistered user
01-13-2018, 06:36 AM

Free deer too!

graybeard
01-13-2018, 07:36 AM
I hate reading incidences like this; as a recent victim, it hit a nerve.

The innocent owner continues to spend taxed upon, hard earned money to upgrade security and increased insurance premiums..... IT IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

The laws and penalties are in place but no where to house the convicted.

Judges need to be elected......and more jails built.

Personally I would donate and extra $2,000 if I knew it was going towards building a new jail(s). Rather than my unwillingness to support the wasteful taxing from Mr.Turdo and Queen Nutley...... IMHO....

Time for a Snickers.....

Jack Hardin
01-13-2018, 07:47 AM

We have neighbors that had the thieves crash right through the gate on a long driveway this past November, with their persumed stolen vehicle however, they left when they found out the folks were home.

hogie
01-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Get a dog or two.

If it's 2008 and newer it should have PATS system. Not as easy to steal, older than that install a kill switch.

These thieves are very determined bunch, if they really want it they will get it.

I work at a dealer , we have so much BS stuff happening on lot. Not too long ago they broke into building with a security system and cameras everywhere and stole a brand new F350 from the shop. They knew exactly what to do, keys in truck. Pryed open side door opened bay door and drove it away. Drove it to another dealership a couple hours away left it there and did the same thing to them. Stealing to steal, like it was a game.

Before they upgraded security system thieves cut cables to cameras, broke in, found keys in sales desk and stole vehicles off lot. Joyride and left them at other business in town. They climbed up a a metal water drain for roof to cut the camera.

I live on small acearage, just got a second dog. 3 year old German Shepard. We have attached garage with a fenced off kennel area. Dog doors from garage to house to kennel. They both bark at strangers, they Shepard is big and can look through the 5 feet high glass panels on main door in garage when he goes up. I have monitored security system as well. I think my dogs will do more than the security system ever will to stop thieves.

darren32
01-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Talked to a police officer the other day. He said the f stands for “free” when it comes to the ford 350s. Very popular target for thieves. Big dog would be my suggestion. That’s what we have on our farm. We can’t touch the scum but our dog will

He said "new". Anything newer than 2008 would have PATS and be very difficult to steal without the chip key. You would need the help of a dealer. Any thief trying to steal it would be an idiot ....

GunnerySgtJackson
01-13-2018, 08:08 AM
In my locale, drug users are committing all the break-ins. Need the money for their habit/dependency. They don't give a crap about getting caught, their need to get a fix overrides everything. Rcmp know who they are. Rcmp even put out public announcements that serial B&E individuals are back in town after release.
I live in a small town......there are at least 2 methadone stations here!!!! Crazy!
If I were King, I would have this fixed in short order. Public canings and executions.......but that ain't gone happen here....
Everything is drug crazy it seems! Not sure what this new legalization outcome is going to be.....
Who is buying all the stolen stuff?? Druggies have to be selling stolen goods to someone??!! Do they ever get convicted??

I have 4 RCMP that live in close proximity to my house. They have patrol vehicles in their driveways most nights. They all have their backyards and garages lit up like daylight in the night time.....

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2018, 09:02 AM
He said "new". Anything newer than 2008 would have PATS and be very difficult to steal without the chip key. You would need the help of a dealer. Any thief trying to steal it would be an idiot ....

Sadly not true. They now have devices that allow them access without keys.

darren32
01-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Sadly not true. They now have devices that allow them access without keys.

It is possible but your average crack head thief does not have the technology. If they had a laptop and ford ids they would have already sold it for drugs :)

SlightlyDistracting
01-13-2018, 09:14 AM
In my locale, drug users are committing all the break-ins. Need the money for their habit/dependency. They don't give a crap about getting caught, their need to get a fix overrides everything. Rcmp know who they are. Rcmp even put out public announcements that serial B&E individuals are back in town after release.
I live in a small town......there are at least 2 methadone stations here!!!! Crazy!
If I were King, I would have this fixed in short order. Public canings and executions.......but that ain't gone happen here....
Everything is drug crazy it seems! Not sure what this new legalization outcome is going to be.....
Who is buying all the stolen stuff?? Druggies have to be selling stolen goods to someone??!! Do they ever get convicted??

I have 4 RCMP that live in close proximity to my house. They have patrol vehicles in their driveways most nights. They all have their backyards and garages lit up like daylight in the night time.....

Im pretty certain the problem is not potheads who are stealing vehicle to get a bag of weed. Lol

Bushrat
01-13-2018, 09:49 AM
It is possible but your average crack head thief does not have the technology. If they had a laptop and ford ids they would have already sold it for drugs :)

You underestimate thieves, especially professional's. This is a black market business worth billions in Canada . Easy to launder vehicles when they are reduced to parts that are untraceable and worth lots of dollars. You never know which insurance company or mechanic shop are unknowingly buying these parts to repair your vehicle or putting them in containers to ship and be sold in other countries. Thieves stealing nearly new or new vehicles are pretty much on top of any new security and anti theft devices and have them figured out within days of them hitting the market.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3514013/2m-in-stolen-vehicle-parts-recovered-so-far-at-north-edmonton-chop-shop-never-seen-anything-like-this/
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/how-high-tech-car-theft-became-a-billion-dollar-canadianracket/article28226997/

Ranch11
01-13-2018, 10:33 AM
So the local authorities nabbed a guy trying to steal my new f350 at 9am this morning. He spilled info that my property has been cased a few times, as expected. Any suggestions out there for acreage (75acres) security?

Speaking to an RCMP officer in our area, he stated that 90 % of the rural properties have been scouted out! That's crazy!

elk396
01-13-2018, 11:09 AM
It's pretty obvious that our justice system isn't a deterrent, that the underlying message I see here.

hilt134
01-13-2018, 11:28 AM
I think the dog is your best bet. Alarms on the property might get set off at random which would be bothersome. If your truck is in a garage I would suggest rigging the doors from the inside with a trip wire and an air raid siren. Or maybe a stukka siren. Loud and lots of it. Other than that I would say anything left outside is pretty well hooped

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2018, 02:34 PM

You can buy the unit online. It's not ids. And it's damn cheap

moemoes
01-13-2018, 04:03 PM
So the local authorities nabbed a guy trying to steal my new f350 at 9am this morning. He spilled info that my property has been cased a few times, as expected. Any suggestions out there for acreage (75acres) security?300 win mag

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

play.soccer
01-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Problem with telling him to get a big dog is he has to find a puppy and raise it right which takes over a year. Sure he could adopt a rescue big dog but then he will need to train it and train it hard and quick sooooo to say "get a dog man" isn't a quick solution.

TylerThomson
01-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Problem with telling him to get a big dog is he has to find a puppy and raise it right which takes over a year. Sure he could adopt a rescue big dog but then he will need to train it and train it hard and quick sooooo to say "get a dog man" isn't a quick solution.

You don't need a dog that's trained. You just need a dog that loses its mind when it sees someone and isn't the size of a Chihuahua.

mgvande
01-13-2018, 05:23 PM
This

JeanCretien
01-13-2018, 07:24 PM
I hate reading incidences like this; as a recent victim, it hit a nerve.

The innocent owner continues to spend taxed upon, hard earned money to upgrade security and increased insurance premiums..... IT IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

The laws and penalties are in place but no where to house the convicted.

Judges need to be elected......and more jails built.

Personally I would donate and extra $2,000 if I knew it was going towards building a new jail(s). Rather than my unwillingness to support the wasteful taxing from Mr.Turdo and Queen Nutley...... IMHO....

Time for a Snickers.....

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2018, 09:41 PM
A camera is a passive defence and is useless as a defence unless you plan on monitoring it 24/7. A big dog that’s going to deter thieves and alert you would be my choice. I know of one 180 lb dog that the thieves wouldn’t chance getting out of the truck to pet......lol. Not vicious but VERY intimidating. :)

When there is motion or noise it alerts you. You don't have to watch.

TrapperMike
01-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Dogs don’t stop them. We have 2 neighbors who came home to find their dogs shot and possessions stolen. One neighbor had set the dogs on to some guys stealing gas. Dogs didn’t hurt anyone just chased them off. Couple of days later when they returned home their dogs had been shot and laid out in the driveway.

Newview01
01-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Dogs don’t stop them. We have 2 neighbors who came home to find their dogs shot and possessions stolen. One neighbor had set the dogs on to some guys stealing gas. Dogs didn’t hurt anyone just chased them off. Couple of days later when they returned home their dogs had been shot and laid out in the driveway.

But apparently shining some lights at them will do the trick :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Johnny G1
01-13-2018, 10:05 PM
But apparently shining some lights at them will do the trick :sHa_sarcasticlol: Yes and the light would be a bright flash from a barrel causing self inflicted deadly wounds????

HunterDave
01-13-2018, 10:12 PM
Are we moving away from theft and moving into armed robberies now?

Bang, bang.....out go the lights.:)

Jack Hardin
01-14-2018, 07:13 AM
Are we moving away from theft and moving into armed robberies now?

Bang, bang.....out go the lights.:)

When reading news stories where the RCMP have caught rural thieves, they are now more often than not, finding loaded firearms along with drugs in the stolen vehicle. It seems to be the trend now.

We installed a gate last year along with 5 of our other neighbors. We also installed a yard light.

What some folks are doing that have gravity fuel tanks, is putting gas in the tank marked diesel and diesel in the tank marked gas. Locking the fuel tanks doesn't make a difference, as the thieves always cut the locks but, see how many miles they go on the wrong fuel.

I remember several years ago, a friend ran out of gas and only had a barrel of diesel with a hand pump for refueling his tractor in the field in the back of the pick-up. It got him to a service station but, he said it was sure sluggish. Not sure how gas in a diesel would work.

obsessed1
01-14-2018, 07:54 AM
People always say my stuff isn't worth someone's life......i work hard for everything I have( which isn't much) life is expensive and living on a single income with kids doesn't leave tons of extra money just laying around. Our government, both federal and provincial have made things even tighter on the budget with all the changes in taxes. I'm supposed to just suck it up and shell out more money for"security" and "deterrents" just to hold onto things that I have already spent my hard saved penny's for, on top of that if and when MY stuff does get stolen i get to cough out for deductibles and higher premiums just to replace the stuff I ALREADY saved for once. I agree my stuff isn't worth a life but, if you value your life keep your hands off my stuff. otherwise you better hope I don't catch you.
ALL of these guys have made a conscious choice at some point that puts them in this position wether they are pro criminals or just meth heads trying to score.
Our justice system clearly doesn't work to protect honest folks and blaming the cops is not fair ( the ones i know personally are as upset with the way it works as i am) in our area our rural neighbours have banded together to keep watch over each others places. we have caught more than a few scum bags and so far the courts have released all of them.
I sure wish we had castle law here....and for those who say stuff is not worth a life.....if you value your life soooo much keep your grubby mitts OFF MY STUFF. that's your choice...otherwise it's not I that puts a value on your life but you.

58thecat
01-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Build more jails:snapoutofit:

Car thief....hang'em
Tresspasser....shoot'em
Caught speeding....lose your ride...pick up garbage for six months every weekend etc

Don't feed and house these animals just so they can fatten up on your dime just to get back out and right back at it....:sign0176:

Hillbilly 12
01-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Build more jails:snapoutofit:

Car thief....hang'em
Tresspasser....shoot'em
Caught speeding....lose your ride...pick up garbage for six months every weekend etc

Don't feed and house these animals just so they can fatten up on your dime just to get back out and right back at it....:sign0176:

X2, enough money is wasted!! Society has become so intelligent we have no common sense to deal with these losers.

Just leave your keys in your truck, sled, quad, side by side, and when the thief is don't with it it will be returned back to you the same way it left. Same as your house, don't lock it, just leave it open so the thief can bring your tv back to you after he's done watching it lol. Or so I've been told this is a good idea!!!

Hillbilly 12
01-14-2018, 08:17 AM
People always say my stuff isn't worth someone's life......i work hard for everything I have( which isn't much) life is expensive and living on a single income with kids doesn't leave tons of extra money just laying around. Our government, both federal and provincial have made things even tighter on the budget with all the changes in taxes. I'm supposed to just suck it up and shell out more money for"security" and "deterrents" just to hold onto things that I have already spent my hard saved penny's for, on top of that if and when MY stuff does get stolen i get to cough out for deductibles and higher premiums just to replace the stuff I ALREADY saved for once. I agree my stuff isn't worth a life but, if you value your life keep your hands off my stuff. otherwise you better hope I don't catch you.
ALL of these guys have made a conscious choice at some point that puts them in this position wether they are pro criminals or just meth heads trying to score.
Our justice system clearly doesn't work to protect honest folks and blaming the cops is not fair ( the ones i know personally are as upset with the way it works as i am) in our area our rural neighbours have banded together to keep watch over each others places. we have caught more than a few scum bags and so far the courts have released all of them.
I sure wish we had castle law here....and for those who say stuff is not worth a life.....if you value your life soooo much keep your grubby mitts OFF MY STUFF. that's your choice...otherwise it's not I that puts a value on your life but you.

Perfect post.

liar
01-14-2018, 09:19 AM
When there is motion or noise it alerts you. You don't have to watch.

some of the systems at work call out when motion is detected . 50km from the detachment and response time is somewhere between 3 hours and never . i dont have the answer but like i said earlier , i haven't seen a lot of upside with cameras or live video streams . dogs can scare away potential " grab and run" thieves but i also know of one that was shot to quiet him down . if your guard dog is also a family pet you now have that to deal with .

10aciousB
01-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Lol really?, why not put public statements out to criminals. If you get killed or wounded trying to steal it's your own fault. So maybe don't steal...

LOL I knew a guy in Saskatchewan that posted a sign on his gate stating something to the effect of:

"Criminal, Consider this your one and only warning. If you enter this property for the purpose of committing a criminal act of any kind, you knowingly acknowledge and accept any consequences thereof, up to and including loss of life."
:acigar:

The Spank
01-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Agreed 100%!!!! I woke up one hot summer night to the sound of someone trying to remove the outboard from my boat. I don’t know which sent him into flight faster, the sound of me loading my model 12 as I stepped out the side door into the driveway or the sight of the 300 pound naked guy holding the gun but my motor stayed where it was as he scrambled over the fence in full flight peeling through my neighbours yard. :love0025:

ryeguy21
01-14-2018, 01:05 PM
so much tough talk of shooting thieves but it never ever HAPPENS.

Mister Bee
01-14-2018, 01:11 PM

It happened in Biggar, Sask in 2016

obsessed1
01-14-2018, 01:18 PM

I and my wife have both physically run scum bags off our acreage with firearms. havent yet had the need to shoot but if the need would arise I would not hesitate. It has nothing to do with being tough, just protecting my family. I wish castle law was legal in Canada because just the possibility of getting shot might deter a few.

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2018, 01:19 PM
If the cameras alert me to someone in my garage and I am not horribly outnumbered after I call the RCMP and the guys in the community watch I am going in swinging. Bat, stick, butt end of something that makes sharp noises but I am not going to watch them drive away with my hard earned belongings. As someone said before, why would I pay $1000 deductible to rebuy something I bought once?
I have a very easy to steal 2003 F250 7.3 sitting outside. Very easy in summer, not so much now in the cold not plugged in and no batteries. I might even run some new positive battery cables to a hidden ground somewhere, or to a very loud siren.
I need to find out some way to make the ones in the garage unable to move but easy for me if I need to respond to a call. Bars on the windows and disabling the manual door release is another good idea. Putting the forklift in front of another diesel outside keeps it in place.

obsessed1
01-14-2018, 01:20 PM

It happens all the in the US where it's legal to defend your possessions with force.

fallen1817
01-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Man in home managed to take a gun from the intruders, shot said intruder and then gets charged...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1487818-break-in-suspect-shot-man-in-home-charged

Another man shoots the home invader, and kills him... Surprise, he gets charged, too...

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/im-glad-he-shot-him-newfoundland-man-up-on-murder-charges-for-shooting-home-invader

And then the fella in Alberta...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-farmer-who-shot-thief-won-t-go-to-jail-1.1291394

Yes, he appealed his sentence and was successful.

***I didn't background check the end sentencing/pleas with these articles; I just wanted to show that you'll generally be charged initially***

But ask yourself. Even if you're found Not Guilty, you'll be spending thousands of dollars on a lawyer to take care of the issue for you, not to mention the personal battles, and change in your life, as well as any psychological damage you may have from shooting/killing another man.

You gotta do what you gotta do, and I'll be painted as one of the spineless people that will roll over, but I digress...

I'm not about to shoot a guy that is in my barn, for the sake of being in my barn... Because for all I know from 100 yards away, he could be my neighbour or some drunk kid that is beyond stupefied from intoxication, and wandered in there by accident. Too many variables, for me to shoot first and ask questions later... And I'd rather my kids have to grow up without a quad than without a dad.

Just my two cents, now flame away.

obsessed1
01-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Man in home managed to take a gun from the intruders, shot said intruder and then gets charged...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1487818-break-in-suspect-shot-man-in-home-charged

Another man shoots the home invader, and kills him... Surprise, he gets charged, too...

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/im-glad-he-shot-him-newfoundland-man-up-on-murder-charges-for-shooting-home-invader

And then the fella in Alberta...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-farmer-who-shot-thief-won-t-go-to-jail-1.1291394

Yes, he appealed his sentence and was successful.

***I didn't background check the end sentencing/pleas with these articles; I just wanted to show that you'll generally be charged initially***

But ask yourself. Even if you're found Not Guilty, you'll be spending thousands of dollars on a lawyer to take care of the issue for you, not to mention the personal battles, and change in your life, as well as any psychological damage you may have from shooting/killing another man.

You gotta do what you gotta do, and I'll be painted as one of the spineless people that will roll over, but I digress...

I'm not about to shoot a guy that is in my barn, for the sake of being in my barn... Because for all I know from 100 yards away, he could be my neighbour or some drunk kid that is beyond stupefied from intoxication, and wandered in there by accident. Too many variables, for me to shoot first and ask questions later... And I'd rather my kids have to grow up without a quad than without a dad.

Just my two cents, now flame away.

Totally agree it's not lawful in Canada.....thats why it's not done often.i for one would be for it being lawful in Canada. I have no issue with you choosing not too but if someone come into my yard and shoots my dog just so he can steal my hard earned possessions. In my mind that guy has made his bed. It's not just the theft but the danger of what theses guys are willing to do to my family.

liar
01-14-2018, 01:51 PM
It happens all the in the US where it's legal to defend your possessions with force.
its legal in canada also , as long as you dont use more force than the attacker is using against you . and in MOST of the states the same rules apply . even in florida , where it is legal to use lethal force if you fell threatened , the people involved in the shooting face a long , expensive road justifying their actions after killing an attacker . there have been quite a few high profile cases in recent years .

IR_mike
01-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Happened SE of Bonnyville in dec 2016....landowner shot at armed thieves and was NOT charged.

parfleche
01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Here is an idea : Take away their drivers licence for a year .

fallen1817
01-14-2018, 02:05 PM
Totally agree it's not lawful in Canada.....thats why it's not done often.i for one would be for it being lawful in Canada. I have no issue with you choosing not too but if someone come into my yard and shoots my dog just so he can steal my hard earned possessions. In my mind that guy has made his bed. It's not just the theft but the danger of what theses guys are willing to do to my family.

Definitely agree with you on that one.

parfleche
01-14-2018, 02:07 PM
or perhaps five years , and deny them a firearms licence , and have them unable to possess alcohol!:sHa_shakeshout:

obsessed1
01-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Why don't we just make it illegal to steal stuff.......oh yah criminals don't care about rules or what they can do or not do legally. If they are willing to steal my truck I doubt having/ not having a licence is going to stop them

Spooner
01-14-2018, 02:26 PM
If the cameras alert me to someone in my garage and I am not horribly outnumbered after I call the RCMP and the guys in the community watch I am going in swinging. Bat, stick, butt end of something that makes sharp noises but I am not going to watch them drive away with my hard earned belongings. As someone said before, why would I pay $1000 deductible to rebuy something I bought once?
I have a very easy to steal 2003 F250 7.3 sitting outside. Very easy in summer, not so much now in the cold not plugged in and no batteries. I might even run some new positive battery cables to a hidden ground somewhere, or to a very loud siren.
I need to find out some way to make the ones in the garage unable to move but easy for me if I need to respond to a call. Bars on the windows and disabling the manual door release is another good idea. Putting the forklift in front of another diesel outside keeps it in place.

Have you considered that insurance is cheaper than being a dead tough guy?

Whole lot of talk in these threads.

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Have you considered that insurance is cheaper than being a dead tough guy?

Whole lot of talk in these threads.

You conveniently and intentionally glazed over the part about calling the RCMP and members in the watch.

Let me get that for you

If the cameras alert me to someone in my garage and I am not horribly outnumbered after I call the RCMP and the guys in the community watch I am going in swinging

Have you considered that if they are brazen enough to go into the garage they are stupid enough to go into the house? Insurance does not replace you, your spouse and offspring. Cameras may give me the upper hand if I know about them without them knowing about me.

Spooner
01-14-2018, 03:09 PM
You conveniently and intentionally glazed over the part about calling the RCMP and members in the watch.

Let me get that for you

If the cameras alert me to someone in my garage and I am not horribly outnumbered after I call the RCMP and the guys in the community watch I am going in swinging

Have you considered that if they are brazen enough to go into the garage they are stupid enough to go into the house? Insurance does not replace you, your spouse and offspring. Cameras may give me the upper hand if I know about them without them knowing about me.

My point stands.

Cameras don't give you ninja skills./

Personally, I'd wait for the heavies, rather than pretend I can take on multiple thieves stealing my insured belongings.

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2018, 03:38 PM
My point stands.

Personally, I'd wait for the heavies, rather than pretend I can take on multiple thieves stealing my insured belongings.

Well there you go. Don't fill your boots. When I get old and unable to handle myself I may feel that way.

obsessed1
01-14-2018, 04:34 PM
My point stands.

Just because YOU don't have the skills or desire to defend yourself/ property doesn't mean everyone is in that same boat. Some people are very capable of handling themselves and are willing to assume the risks involved. Others prefer to bend over.
I choose to train so that someday IF my family ever needed me to defend them with force I would have a better than average chance of doing that. Some would just prefer to lie down. I fully support your right to do that as well.

fallen1817
01-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Just because YOU don't have the skills or desire to defend yourself/ property doesn't mean everyone is in that same boat. Some people are very capable of handling themselves and are willing to assume the risks involved. Others prefer to bend over.
I choose to train so that someday IF my family ever needed me to defend them with force I would have a better than average chance of doing that. Some would just prefer to lie down. I fully support your right to do that as well.

X2

sdvc
01-14-2018, 05:16 PM
Its not a right... its responsibility..... weighted with sound judgement.:argue2:

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2018, 05:17 PM
I choose to train so that someday IF my family ever needed me to defend them with force I would have a better than average chance of doing that. Some would just prefer to lie down.
x3

well said

ryeguy21
01-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Happened SE of Bonnyville in dec 2016....landowner shot at armed thieves and was NOT charged.

Oh just one example in the last 2 years? With all the theft and all the big talk we are reading here you would think people are constantly being shot.

Heck we have a guy here training for the day to kill a thief and banding together with his neighbors to do the same yet nothing's come from it.

I can appreciate people's desire to protect their property but those who talk a big talk are typically the last ones who would actually do anything.

2000victory
01-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Redneck alarm

Day/night motion sensor light-one or two bulb. One bulb alarm only , two bulb alarm and light 110 V ac or Solar that can attach 12 V DC adapter to or is 12 v for alarm
I used 110 V AC and 12 V DC adapter
Most disarm themselves in daylight so just tape over daytime sensor so its always armed 24/7

Light base screw in adaptor for plug in

12 V DC adapter from many tools and toys.

12 V auto back up alarm or siren

Only a small two pair wire is required so alarm can be placed/mounted anywhere.

Get creative where you place sensor ...whether you want to light them up or just set off alarm is up to you.

I made couple for farmer friends...solar powered.
Its nice to watch a strange vehicle enter a 1/4 mile long driveway only to turn around a leave after only 50 feet cause they set off an alarm that can be heard half mile away in the country.

I have 110 v ac on my back deck . sensitivity set at max. Fence 50 feet from deck , vehicles on other side /outside fence. Anyone walking down the alley that steps off alley onto driveway sets off alarm. Has stopped vandalism and gas theft since installed.

Its hillbilly redneck but it works and its cheap.

Not able to upload pic but its pretty simple

The siren also get the coyotes going...more fun.

obsessed1
01-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Oh just one example in the last 2 years? With all the theft and all the big talk we are reading here you would think people are constantly being shot.

Heck we have a guy here training for the day to kill a thief and banding together with his neighbors to do the same yet nothing's come from it.

I can appreciate people's desire to protect their property but those who talk a big talk are typically the last ones who would actually do anything.

Lol I'm not specifically training to kill thieves......( you might want to work on your reading skills before you join in on an adult conversation) I have stated that I am pro castle doctrine. I am also of the mindset that a man should be able to handle himself even in the event of a dangerous situation and have put effort into making sure that I can.

As for being the type to talk big yet do nothing if you knew me you would realize that I'm the first guy to jump to aid. Even in life and death situations and have proven myself on more than a few occasions.

I support your freedom to choose to hide under the covers. I hope you never are in a situation that would force you to stand on your own with the police 3 hours away

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Lol I'm not specifically training to kill thieves......( you might want to work on your reading skills before you join in on an adult conversation) I have stated that I am pro castle doctrine. I am also of the mindset that a man should be able to handle himself even in the event of a dangerous situation and have put effort into making sure that I can.

As for being the type to talk big yet do nothing if you knew me you would realize that I'm the first guy to jump to aid. Even in life and death situations and have proven myself on more than a few occasions.

I support your freedom to choose to hide under the covers. I hope you never are in a situation that would force you to stand on your own with the police 3 hours away

Don't you just love watching people hiding behind drawn curtains watching you when the tones go off? People whine and bitch because civic employees and volunteers aren't there fast enough for them. That gets under my skin.

obsessed1
01-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Don't you just love watching people hiding behind drawn curtains watching you when the tones go off? People whine and bitch because civic employees and volunteers aren't there fast enough for them. That gets under my skin.

Well fortunately my close neighbors are of the same mind as we are, and our efforts have resulted in 4 thieves, 2 scum bags in 2 separate incidents being caught by the police for crimes committed not just in our area but the town close by. In both those incidents the cops arrived no less than 3 hours from time of call. In both instances firearms were used as a means of protecting ourselves. In both cases the RCMP said the use of firearms was the best thing we could have done. In neither incident was a shot fired by us. One incident resulted in the RCMP firing shots at the perps while apprehending them. In all 4 cases the scum bags pled out for lesser sentences and two of the guys had priors for violence. I was present in court for each scum bag. Hiding under the covers has never been my thing. Neither is bending over.

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2018, 06:47 PM
Well fortunately my close neighbors are of the same mind as we are, and our efforts have resulted in 4 thieves, 2 scum bags in 2 separate incidents being caught by the police for crimes committed not just in our area but the town close by. In both those incidents the cops arrived no less than 3 hours from time of call. In both instances firearms were used as a means of protecting ourselves. In both cases the RCMP said the use of firearms was the best thing we could have done. In neither incident was a shot fired by us. One incident resulted in the RCMP firing shots at the perps while apprehending them. In all 4 cases the scum bags pled out for lesser sentences and two of the guys had priors for violence. I was present in court for each scum bag. Hiding under the covers has never been my thing. Neither is bending over.

Good catch!!! I have handguns because I love target shooting, but well you know.
I would really like to buy you a steak and a beer some day.
I haven't been to GP in years, but was in Valleyview a couple weeks ago. Maybe 1 day.

parfleche
01-14-2018, 08:04 PM
From reading all of the above and the suggestions given , I think we can all agree that all the blustering and whining wont solve the problem.upside
down harrows , guns etc .Given the laws as they are and the fact the police are also stretched to patrol the municipalities ,Thievery is a fact of life , it has always existed and it wont stop soon! We can blame it on the economy , or the way kids are raised , the drugs and alcohol , its here to stay , and the touchy feel governments can and wont do anything to suppress it . Heck go to the middle east and even whacking off limbs does not stop it !

Joe Black
01-14-2018, 08:46 PM
From reading all of the above and the suggestions given , I think we can all agree that all the blustering and whining wont solve the problem.upside
down harrows , guns etc .Given the laws as they are and the fact the police are also stretched to patrol the municipalities ,Thievery is a fact of life , it has always existed and it wont stop soon! We can blame it on the economy , or the way kids are raised , the drugs and alcohol , its here to stay , and the touchy feel governments can and wont do anything to suppress it . Heck go to the middle east and even whacking off limbs does not stop it !

Yup

Hillbilly 12
01-14-2018, 09:23 PM

Well all I can say to that is two offenses and left with no arms or no hands, he won't be stealing much... Just sayin..

Newview01
01-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Heck go to the middle east and even whacking off limbs does not stop it !

But I'm willing to bet that they don't have repeat offenders.

Little red riding hood
01-14-2018, 11:38 PM
Not sure where you live, if cats or dogs will be tripping motion sensors, but if that's not an issue, put some flashing red lights and a siren on a motion sensor! Better than a camera, because a camera will only get you a look at what he's taking, the red lights and siren will draw attention and send him scurrying like a cockroach when a light is turned on!

Spooner
01-15-2018, 12:02 AM
Not sure where you live, if cats or dogs will be tripping motion sensors, but if that's not an issue, put some flashing red lights and a siren on a motion sensor! Better than a camera, because a camera will only get you a look at what he's taking, the red lights and siren will draw attention and send him scurrying like a cockroach when a light is turned on!

Seems excessive when you can sneak up on the 4 goons in your garage and execute them silently John Rambo style.

WWJRD?

58thecat
01-15-2018, 06:54 AM

Don't bring a fist to a gun fight nor a fist to a knife fight, train as you wish as hard as you can but remember things are not the same as a training bought, if your loved ones are in immediate danger yes engage do what ever is necessary but if not call 911, isolate, barricade, load the 590 and if any ***** comes through the door well....

dgl1948
01-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Just to bad the courts would not do their part now.

obsessed1
01-15-2018, 08:01 AM
Just to bad the courts would not do their part now.

Almost seems a waste of my time to show up at court. By the time i went to the station to give a statement the dirt bags were already out and back to breaking laws. 3/4 plead out 20 min before court case almost a year later. The lawyer says they wait until then to see if everyone actually shows up ( if not they usually just get thrown out) then they plead to lesser charges and in all three cases they ended up with probation with time served. I loose a few hours pay, scum bags get less than a scolding.

Ken07AOVette
01-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Seems excessive when you can sneak up on the 4 goons in your garage and execute them silently John Rambo style.

WWJRD?

4? Are you sure it's not 11? Might be 70!!!!

JDK71
01-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Couple dogo's should work

wow those dogs look like they mean business

Suzukisam
01-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Cattle fence will keep them out and you have it up to keep the coyotes out. All the farms have them. They will touch it once and then leave. With the beware of dog sign. You gots to use physalogical warfair again these scum bags. Would you enter if a guy was using electric fence to keep his big wild ass dog in?

Newview01
01-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Cattle fence will keep them out and you have it up to keep the coyotes out. All the farms have them. They will touch it once and then leave. With the beware of dog sign. You gots to use physalogical warfair again these scum bags. Would you enter if a guy was using electric fence to keep his big wild ass dog in?

No comment on the rest of your post, but psychological warfare will have the best effect. Birds of a feather flock together, and word in the underworld will spread quick enough if they know rural folks are using punji pits and claymores.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-16-2018, 07:56 PM

And it’s only you that puts a value on your “Stuff”.

MountainTi
01-16-2018, 08:26 PM
wow those dogs look like they mean business

They are pretty intimidating all right

fordtruckin
01-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Good idea, while easily defeated most thieves are opportunistic and if something doesn't work like its supposed to it causes them to move on to something else quickly.

They also don't really have due process and are not generally considered first world countries. Those who steal over there aren't doing it to support a drug habit or boredom. They do it for survival. I highly doubt 99% of thieves in Alberta are thieving for survival. My guess is they are entitled junkies who can't handle not making easy money and feel they deserve what they take and society OWES them.

WOW, And AO was up in arms over the Province becoming a police state because they can detain you and have your vehicle towed for blowing a .05.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Suzukisam
01-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Like those low life’s have a drivers license. Or really care if they could have one. Most of them have warrants for one thing or another. And are on first name which the arresting officers lol. Thank the bleeding hearts for the let’s not get tuff on crime courts. Bring back Ralph Klein “ Shoot. Shovel. Shut up “ a true alberta last hero

obsessed1
01-16-2018, 10:27 PM
And it’s only you that puts a value on your “Stuff”.

We all value our own stuff. If you don't value yours you can pm me for my address and send your "stuff" my way. I was brought up to respect other people's property and to put value on it because they put value on it.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-16-2018, 10:49 PM
We all value our own stuff. If you don't value yours you can pm me for my address and send your "stuff" my way. I was brought up to respect other people's property and to put value on it because they put value on it.

Right.

My “ stuff “ is only of value to me and me alone. Same as you.
There is no retail, possible sentiment maybe, but that is it.
Your value no matter the number will never be compensated if you look at it in $$

But neither you, nor I, should be able decide the value of another man’s life.

Only when your being or someone close to you is at risk should you be able to decide,who’s life is worth more.

If you decide that your stuff is worth a life, someone else can decide your life is worth your stuff.

No “ stuff” I own or work hard for will ever equal what I consider more valuable.

You can’t replace everything.

Hillbilly 12
01-16-2018, 10:56 PM
Every item I own is worth more than a waste of skin thieves life. Ask the thief, is that item worth your life, if so try and steal it you might get lucky you might not, it's up to the thief.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Every item I own is worth more than a waste of skin thieves life. Ask the thief, is that item worth your life, if so try and steal it you might get lucky you might not, it's up to the thief.

Until said thief decides the same thing.

Hillbilly 12
01-16-2018, 11:03 PM
Until said thief decides the same thing.

I'm unsure of what you saying?

Red Bullets
01-16-2018, 11:40 PM
Ken07AOVette...You say you are going in swinging when the thieves are at hand.... Might I suggest you keep a hockey helmet with face cage and some shin, chest and arm protectors with your bat. Just for your safety. :) Be sure to paint your thief catching "outfit" in a dragon slayer theme so the thief only remembers a dragon slayer coming at him before the lights go out. haha :sHa_sarcasticlol: Would make the thief's testimony in court entertaining. "Your honour, all I remember is a dragonslayer creature saying good night."

catnthehat
01-17-2018, 12:00 AM
Ken07AOVette...You say you are going in swinging when the thieves are at hand.... Might I suggest you keep a hockey helmet with face cage and some shin, chest and arm protectors with your bat. Just for your safety. :) Be sure to paint your thief catching "outfit" in a dragon slayer theme so the thief only remembers a dragon slayer coming at him before the lights go out. haha :sHa_sarcasticlol: Would make the thief's testimony in court entertaining. "Your honour, all I remember is a dragonslayer creature saying good night."

" A really BIG dragonslayer, your Honour!":sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

ETOWNCANUCK
01-17-2018, 12:18 AM
I'm unsure of what you saying?

That your life is worth whatever the thief wants. So he kills you to get it.

Things also have a way of happening when we are least expecting it.

A thief doesn't send warning that he is about to do something.

It just happens.

Maybe you're lucky to be there and catch the thief in the act.

most likely though you are unaware that the crime took place.

you are at work, on vacation, visiting friends. Or even sound asleep in your own bed.
Most property crimes happen when the owner is not around.

Difference between you and the thief?
You are going about your day as you would.

The thief is going about their day stealing stuff.

We all hope we are as prepared as well as we want to be. But the reality is more often than not , we are not prepared.
And even if we are in that moment,
doesn't mean the results will turn out to be favourable.

Yeah it is possible to win the day.
but it is also possible to lose it.

JD848
01-17-2018, 12:43 AM
I was drinking with a friend one night and there were about 7 people at table and my friend got up and went outside to have a smoke,i seen him in the window then he was gone,it was late and I thought he went home.I had a room at this motel where the bar was so l left and went to my room,i was ready to fall asleep and tried to remember if I had lock my truck up right ,so I went outside and there were 40 cop cars all around this place and the cop asked me a few things and pushed me back into the room.

5 guys and a girl killed my friend that night and draged his body and put it on the railway tracks 40 feet away and the train ran him over,they did him in for drug money or an argument,i think maybe both.So you never know what a thief or thieves that are out of it can do.I know he gave it his best go,but he lost because there were to many.I was only 20 feet away from where they did this while walking to my room ,it bothered me for long time ,this happened in march 21 ,2009 in kenora ont and it still bothers me till this day,Eddy was a great guy and I pray it never happens to no one.I was in from out of town fishing lake of the woods for a week and the ice went bad that day so I was leaving in the morning,but the police kept everyone in that hotel for 2 days.

JD848
01-17-2018, 02:13 AM
I wrote they did him in for drug money,but Eddy wasn't into drugs so they robbed him to get money for drugs and I know he wouldn't back down or they jumped him and the rest is a horror show, I just can't figure out why that way.Take a human life to steal peanuts is horrible,i wanted to go to court ,but new the couple that did this and would have been hucked out court or charged ,so I stayed away.He lived in the bush his whole life, great resort and fishing and hunting lodge his dad built some 75 years ago and it was all his,not a worry in the world,minded his own business and came to town on the wrong night.

58thecat
01-17-2018, 06:00 AM
I wrote they did him in for drug money,but Eddy wasn't into drugs so they robbed him to get money for drugs and I know he wouldn't back down or they jumped him and the rest is a horror show, I just can't figure out why that way.Take a human life to steal peanuts is horrible,i wanted to go to court ,but new the couple that did this and would have been hucked out court or charged ,so I stayed away.He lived in the bush his whole life, great resort and fishing and hunting lodge his dad built some 75 years ago and it was all his,not a worry in the world,minded his own business and came to town on the wrong night.

Sorry to hear of this, a loss of a friend to animals....sad day and I mentioned it before as tough talk lures the Internet hero's to type how they would handle thieves etc so I will put this into perspective for outdoors men and women...a bull moose or cow gets hauled down by a handful of wolves, yes they are very large to the wolves kinda like a 6'6" 240lbs man with a bat but the wolves eat at the end...gotta keep your wits about you and even then we become victims, again JD848 sorry for the loss of a friend.

:(

obsessed1
01-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Wow some of you guys take things way too far. As if the first response to seeing / finding some one on my property is to kill them....even where castle doctrine is law this doesn't fly. Also I am very aware of possible danger of confronting thieves just as I'm very aware of being in the wrong place at the wrong time could also result in tragedy. I personally know a few people who have been caught in theses situations. Proper prep/ training includes situational awareness and avoiding theses altogether. But it also includes the skill training to have a better than average chance of surviving. However this thread is about thieves stealing people's property. My point is our laws and justice system need to change in favor of property owner's. A bit of fear might just be enough to keep the average lowlife from even trying it. And for the ones who come with intent to do harm we should be able to assess the situation and deal with it with appropriate force without fear of the law ruining our lives in the process.

Hillbilly 12
01-17-2018, 08:52 AM
That your life is worth whatever the thief wants. So he kills you to get it.

Things also have a way of happening when we are least expecting it.

A thief doesn't send warning that he is about to do something.

It just happens.

Maybe you're lucky to be there and catch the thief in the act.

most likely though you are unaware that the crime took place.

you are at work, on vacation, visiting friends. Or even sound asleep in your own bed.
Most property crimes happen when the owner is not around.

Difference between you and the thief?
You are going about your day as you would.

The thief is going about their day stealing stuff.

We all hope we are as prepared as well as we want to be. But the reality is more often than not , we are not prepared.
And even if we are in that moment,
doesn't mean the results will turn out to be favourable.

Yeah it is possible to win the day.
but it is also possible to lose it.

That's true, but I would do whatever to stop a thief. I could not stand there and dial the cops, it's a wasted phone call. Crime would plummet if there was the slightest mention that a person could protect their belongings. I myself would take the chance in stoping theft, but like you stated it most likely happens when a person is gone.

Norwest Alta
01-17-2018, 09:10 AM
That's true, but I would do whatever to stop a thief. I could not stand there and dial the cops, it's a wasted phone call. Crime would plummet if there was the slightest mention that a person could protect their belongings. I myself would take the chance in stoping theft, but like you stated it most likely happens when a person is gone.

Agreed. We all should have the responsibility to protect ourselves, loved ones and our property by whatever means possible. It's something we owe ourselves.

obsessed1
01-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Right.

If you decide that your stuff is worth a life, someone else can decide your life is worth your stuff.

Often these low life's already make that decision. In a close by rural area last year even the cops were acted on with violence from some of these truck thieves. I do believe I should have the right to protect my hard earned belongings and my life and the lives of my family/ friends with force even if it means lethal force. After all they are the ones making that choice for themselves when they choose to break the law. I would way rather deal with a scum bag with force and be safe than pretend like it's possible they will only stop at taking my stuff and not do any harm.. A criminal lifestyle should be a extremely dangerous profession...as it is our laws protect them and Molly coddle them to where there really isn't much of a deterrent. From what I understand these guys don't even care if they get caught because it's only a minor bump in the road of doing business.

snareman
01-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Get em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parfleche
01-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Hillbilly , you posted crime would plummet if we could defend what is ours , But in reality , when you see what some states are able to do just that , They are still plagued with theft! Although I do agree , I would love to be able to think I have a right to defend myself or what is mine!

Ken07AOVette
01-17-2018, 07:24 PM
The keyboard warriors on the boards will call me names, but the truth is if I feel I or someone near me is in mortal danger and I can do something, I will.
Most men with families would do the same. I have never turtled in my life, and definately won't if I have time to properly prepare.

Newview01
01-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Hillbilly , you posted crime would plummet if we could defend what is ours , But in reality , when you see what some states are able to do just that , They are still plagued with theft! Although I do agree , I would love to be able to think I have a right to defend myself or what is mine!

So are you saying that crime is just as bad in pro-gun / pro-castle law cities as it is in say Chicago, or D.C., or L.A.?

Hillbilly 12
01-17-2018, 07:41 PM

True but if the law is behind thieves,thieves feel more inclined to keep stealing, if the law stated thieves would be shot or hurt I think crime would decrease a little, I know it wouldn't stop, but repeat offenders would trimmed down a little. No I'm not looking for an excuse for everyone to kill, just keep and protect what belongs to the owner. The moral of the story, go work for something, and don't steal.

Norwest Alta
01-17-2018, 07:57 PM
The keyboard warriors on the boards will call me names, but the truth is if I feel I or someone near me is in mortal danger and I can do something, I will.
Most men with families would do the same. I have never turtled in my life, and definately won't if I have time to properly prepare.

Why would anyone call names. Any man worth his salt would do the same.

Norwest Alta
01-17-2018, 07:59 PM

Can't compare Canada to America. Preþty much two different demographics.

Ken07AOVette
01-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Why would anyone call names. Any man worth his salt would do the same.

Lol I have been called internet tough guy and ninja more times by 3 or 4 guys on this forum than I have been sworn at in 30 years at my job!

Imagine you and me and Vinnie, Dean, bunch of the other goon sized guys sitting in a garage that someone breaks into. :fighting0030::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Norwest Alta
01-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Lol I have been called internet tough guy and ninja more times by 3 or 4 guys on this forum than I have been sworn at in 30 years at my job!

Imagine you and me and Vinnie, Dean, bunch of the other goon sized guys sitting in a garage that someone breaks into. :fighting0030::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Don't know any of those guys but to make a long story short protect what you can by whatever means are available to you.

srs123
01-17-2018, 09:43 PM
All you macho guys. Ever heard the say " initiative is an advantage". A man who is planning to do you harm will scheme and plan and will wait until you back is turned and then hit you. Stuff is stuff, iypts up to you if youbwanna die for it

Ken07AOVette
01-17-2018, 09:58 PM
All you macho guys. Ever heard the say " initiative is an advantage". A man who is planning to do you harm will scheme and plan and will wait until you back is turned and then hit you. Stuff is stuff, iypts up to you if youbwanna die for it

yes, iypts up to me, iibnotgonna die for it.

They may if they break into my house at the wrong time. Between 12 am and 12 am

Newview01
01-17-2018, 10:16 PM

These thieves love your type, FYI. You just bend over and take it.

Hillbilly 12
01-17-2018, 10:24 PM

Dry

Trochu
01-17-2018, 10:44 PM

Oilers fan?

Ken07AOVette
01-17-2018, 10:59 PM
Oilers fan?

haha yep, you made me LOL

slight derail- you just made me think of this.......
I was picking up donations today for our upcoming annual fundraiser for the Fire Department, and I wrote up the panel for his offering;

Thanks going out to ********** for their generous donation of a very nice pair of Tickets for March 1, 2018 Edmonton where you can watch Nashville beat the Oilers. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:)

partsman
01-17-2018, 11:00 PM
Just last night neighbours car got broken into, they smashed the left rear window, I think it was a Toyota, they had been parking it at the back of garage which is right on our shared alley, so tonight I shut our gates, might slow them down.

does it ALL outdoors
01-17-2018, 11:46 PM

^^^ This, or an aftermarket alarm with starter kill. Can get one installed for often less than a deductible would cost you. Why wouldn't you?

Especially if you are driving one of the most stolen vehicles out there, locking your doors just dosent cut it. A lot of people need to be MUCH more proactive

Or as someone else mentioned, a security gate, They cant steal it if they can't get in.

Glad to hear they caught the scumbags this time

58thecat
01-18-2018, 07:06 AM
haha yep, you made me LOL

slight derail- you just made me think of this.......
I was picking up donations today for our upcoming annual fundraiser for the Fire Department, and I wrote up the panel for his offering;

Thanks going out to ********** for their generous donation of a very nice pair of Tickets for March 1, 2018 Edmonton where you can watch Nashville beat the Oilers. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:)

Oilers have a tuff guy to put in your garage:sHa_sarcasticlol:

243 wild cat
01-18-2018, 08:42 AM

X2 Hiding under the covers has never been my thing. Neither is bending over and just let things happen if i am going to be the victim i will used anything necessary for protecting my family myself or my property!. And im ok with saying i've dealt with issues and i sleep good every night and so we all should being a victim of scum is not in my vocabulary. :fighting0030:

Hillbilly 12
01-18-2018, 08:45 AM
X2 Hiding under the covers has never been my thing. Neither is bending over and just let things happen if i am going to be the victim i will used anything necessary for protecting my family myself or my property!.

Darn rights!!, items come to hard to just let them be stolen without doing something.

Ehgun
01-18-2018, 09:42 AM

You get my vote for Minister of Justice.

abhunter8
01-18-2018, 10:11 AM

Well said, I agree 100%.

srs123
01-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Nah, I'm just a guy who has insurance. I wouldn't lift a finger. I'll just get new stuff. But you on the other hand, can't afford to lose a few rags.

To each his own

Ken07AOVette
01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
The trolls are full, it is starting to stink in here. Trouble is they gas off then just come looking to get fed again.
https://images.theconversation.com/files/140430/original/image-20161005-15882-13x0gd1.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=237&fit=clip

Hillbilly 12
01-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Nah, I'm just a guy who has insurance. I wouldn't lift a finger. I'll just get new stuff. But you on the other hand, can't afford to lose a few rags.

To each his own

I'm assuming you carry fire insurance on your home right?

New stuff? Lol

Norwest Alta
01-18-2018, 03:17 PM

To each his own

I guess you don't have things that can't be replaced?

obsessed1
01-19-2018, 03:18 AM

To each his own

You must be made of money. " hey everyone come steal my stuff it's ok I have insurance..............ill just replace it so you can come steal it again............i don't mind..........."

I wish I had your disposable income so I could care less if someone stole my truck or quad or tv or........

58thecat
01-19-2018, 05:41 AM
Deep voice now...all together.....Rollin'....Rollin'....Rollin'....keep this thread a Rollin'....it's Friday.:sHa_shakeshout: