PDA

View Full Version : Slave Lake - how was the fishing ?

tchcont
05-19-2009, 11:36 AM
how was the fishing this last weekend , lots of people out
and about. just not the greatest weather.
am heading out mid week if weather permits , hope to
land some biggens like last year.

Thanks

bsnyder
05-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Let me know where the Biguns are?, would like to cash a cheque at the Anglers Cup and Faust.HAHA:huh:

tchcont
05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
No info on there wear abouts yet , am in those tourney's:wave:

hopefuuly we are the ones cashing the biggen cheque:lol:
after that the info will be freely handed out.

Thanks and happy fishing

Little Red Man
05-19-2009, 02:38 PM
I presume you mean Lesser Slave Lake.....

Saturday was HOT.....lots of fish being taken (mostly Wallies, but the odd Pike and Burbot)....My 5year old caught two 50 cm Wallies.

Sunday was NOT HOT (fishing or weather). Jigging did not seem to produce at all. Tried the "Slow Death" method just drifting in the wind and picked up a couple.

Monday was sunny but COLD and blowing really hard...never bothered to get the boat out on the water.

bsnyder
05-19-2009, 03:39 PM
No info on there wear abouts yet , am in those tourney's:wave:

hopefuuly we are the ones cashing the biggen cheque:lol:
after that the info will be freely handed out.

Thanks and happy fishing

GEE, your not very nice :((yuk) I would share with you:scared:(maybe not the best spot):huh: HAHA, anyways good luck and see ya there:wave:

tchcont
05-19-2009, 03:48 PM
where were you fishing "Lil red man" , saw lots
of boats out from Shaws on the point? weather
was a little bit of a turn off for me , save the high
winds and cold for the tourney days.:(

Will post pic's of what we find this weekend , see
if the little hole is still producing?

Joe Fehr
05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Same report from Shaws point here Saturday hot Friday wasn't bad, Sunday rough and cold. Got some nice burbot and decent walleye with a couple pike mixed in.

Little Red Man
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Yup....we were also just off Shaw's Point....first time there...definately going back....

bardfromedson
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
water was very dirty and i think this added to the slow fishing. our best fishing was on friday. spinners and bottom bouncers and rapalas worked best
anyone know who the guy in the yellow jet boat was?he needs to learn to play nice with others.

tchcont
05-19-2009, 11:20 PM
I bet that jet boat make alot of noise to:rolleye2:
You always a couple of those jerks around , save
it for the river boys.

what caliber of fish were people catching at the point ,
also noticed most of the local lakes seem dirty
this spring , not much run off either?

anyone venture down to cutbank or the big rocks
on the north shore?

Sorry for all the ?'s , just got the itch and need
to hear the latest news , will be out later in
the week myself , will report on trip.

bardfromedson
05-20-2009, 09:14 AM
average slave lake size fish(16-19 inch) and the odd one over 20. one guy at the cleaning table had about a 5 pounder. i wish people would throw those big hens back. had a couple that were still full of milk so there must be some that are not spawned out. if the water clears up and warms up im sure it will be back to the normal 100 fish days.

bsnyder
05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
average slave lake size fish(16-19 inch) and the odd one over 20. one guy at the cleaning table had about a 5 pounder. i wish people would throw those big hens back. had a couple that were still full of milk so there must be some that are not spawned out. if the water clears up and warms up im sure it will be back to the normal 100 fish days.

I agree, when are people going to relize that the bigones should be returned to spawn.:tongue2:Thats why Alberta has very few big ones left.:mad2:
A 5pd fish in slave is huge, where in Sask its average.See the diferance? Somepeople will never learn and are selfish (sorry venting ,haha ):D

cannonc
05-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Faust Bay was decent on Sat 330-600 our group caught our limit over 50cm.
Slowed consideribly after that.

jrcw
05-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Fished Slave Friday and Monday with results similar to other posts. Didn't have the time to go far so I just stuck around Shaw's. The shelf off the marina wasn't producing like I thought it would at first. Trolled bottom bouncers with crawlers and it took a while to find them. Switching to a slip bobber and minnow picked up a few more. I'd really like to find a few more spots on Slave besides the usual holes (Cutbank, Shaw's Creek, the channel when it's open etc.). I haven't been able to track down a good bathymetric map, but I'd sure like to find some structure of some sort. I'm sure there's some good holes out there...

bardfromedson
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
don't waste your money on the lowrance chip for there gps.there is very few contour lines and they can be out by as much as 100 yards on the lake.

Shmag
05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
don't waste your money on the lowrance chip for there gps.there is very few contour lines and they can be out by as much as 100 yards on the lake.

Which one did you buy???? Navionic's, hotmap's, or the western canada one made by Lowrance. The guy's from wholesale sports told me the contour ones are way off as far as depth and like you said they can be off by a couple hundred yards on points and what not. They talked me into the Lowrance one with-out the contour lines.

tchcont
05-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Well just got in and have to WHOA! fishing was
awesome , 1-7pm and landed around 200 fish
with 2 guys , best spring fishing in along time. :)

No one else fishing in the area:confused: , got back to load
everyone said it was slow?? Was definatly the
walleye chop today , first day in the boat and
the legs are feeling it.:cry: will try posting pic's
tomorrow , caught some nice ones , kept 2 - 47cm
for the pan.

water is stained solid to the bottom in some places,
found some clear areas and FISH ON.

Good Luck Fishing

bobalong
05-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I haven't been able to track down a good bathymetric map, but I'd sure like to find some structure of some sort. I'm sure there's some good holes out there...[/QUOTE]

Scroll down and click on Fig 2, not the greatest but gives a bit of detail

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/view/?region=Peace%20and%20Athabasca%20Region&basin=Athabasca%20River%20Basin&lake=Lesser%20Slave%20Lake&number=35

jrcw
05-21-2009, 10:42 PM
bobalong: thanks for the link! i have map similar to this one. i wonder if a more detailed version, digital or otherwise, even exists. it would be nice to see some features at a smaller scale etc.

Little Red Man
05-22-2009, 09:37 PM
You can try this chart....costs money, but expect it to be much more detailed than the free one.......

http://www.maptown.com/cgi-bin/mt/store.cgi?overlord=Details&store_id=15181

jrcw
05-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the link. The maps on this site seem decent and are reasonably priced. I think I might order a couple. To continue with the Lesser Slave Lake thread, I just got back and the bite is ON!

Agb Crash
06-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Planning on going up friday for the day.
Where should I launch to maximize fishing time.
I do have 135 hp but truck burns less gas than boat.
This is a 1 day trip from edmonton.