PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new boat

jan
05-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Hello I'm new to outdoor forum. Looking for new aluminium 16-17 foot boat.
Maybe, crestliner 1650ft.with 50hp.What do you thing ,or Hewes ?. Any sugestion please . Next week I will try visiting a few boat dealers . My ranges is up to $ 20 000. Boat is for 2 people (50hp. its basic package or better go with 60 hp.)Thanks J.J

goldrox
05-19-2009, 08:59 PM
You should consider checking out Legend. Canadian made. I bought one last year and the price was great.

http://www.legendboats.com/

floppychicken
05-19-2009, 10:40 PM
..the best bang for your buck, IMO would be the "AlumaCraft" series of boats. I was immensely impressed with the quality and price. They have a VERY good reputation as well and they are VERY hard to beat. You should be able to get into a single console for the money you are looking to spend.

Things you won't find on many others:
-1 Piece x Dual Hull the ENTIRE length of the boat with 12" spacers.
-Foam insert flooring.
-Carpeted decks AND rails on many models.
-Deeper Keel and Deep V" the entire length of the boat.
-Deep floors and higher gunnels as a result...
Lots more at their site.... www.alumacraft.com

Just the above make for a REALLY nice ride and it'll handle the Windy Alberta Waters with ease.

The boat show had a number of the 2008's 'all-in' with the 70hp 'E-tec' engines (Mercury Killers) for 22k. I think they SOLD a LOT of them... It was a very impressive boat with all the bells and whistles and was the 17' I believe.

The Dealer at the show was "Boat Mart" in Red Deer....

Cheers,

/FC...

water
05-20-2009, 07:13 AM
How about a 2006 DC CL 1896 Warrior with 200 h.p suzuki and all the toy's. Call me if interested at 780-674-2770 or 780-674-0117.

bsnyder
05-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Watch what you buy , there is a lot of junk out there.My first boat was a lund 1750 with a 150hp.I paid the same used for this boat than I could have got a new legand or equilivant. But I was looking at quality as well as price.
Make sure the motor on your boat is the max rated. If its rated for a 90 make sure it has no less or you we will br disipointed.
The fellow above with the warrior would be worth looking at, not the faetest boat but exelant quality and will handle anything thrown at it.Im a 2025 lund man myself. Good luck:wave:

fishforsport
05-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Hi,

I have a '99 - 17 1/2'Alumacraft Trophu Sport c/w with 135 hp Merc Optimax.
This boat is a very stable, fast fish/ski boat. It has 2 sonars and a bow-mounted trolling motor. You would be very impressed. I live in Stony Plain and viewing and test ride are available, just e-mail me at fishforsport@hotmail.com
or call at (780) 963-2785

Brian

Waxy
05-20-2009, 08:15 AM
OK, forgive me, but I'm going to climb back onto my soapbox on this topic yet again -

Unless you absolutely MUST have a new boat, and there's nothing wrong with that, someone has to buy them and they're nice to have, then you're going to get A LOT more boat for your money by going used, especially these days. There's a very good example right in this thread. Take a look at that Warrior and compare it to a 1650 Crestliner with a 50HP. There really is no comparison, and there's lots more boats out there like that in all sizes and brands. If you don't want that much boat, and the Crestliner or something similar is what you want, then you can buy it, ready to fish, for FAR less than $20,000.

When you're dealing with a new boat purchase, it's not just the boat itself, but all the rigging - electronics, trolling motors, batteries, splash guards, etc, etc... that up in a big hurry.

Look around at the typical classified sites - Autotrader, Kijiji, Buy and Sell, etc..., but search out the fishing forums as well, they often have great classifieds sections. Walleyecentral, IDOFishing, Walleyefirst, etc... Then there's Ebay, vast.com, iboats.com. etc...

Do a search and get a handle on how much boat you can get for $20,000 in the used market, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Then compare that to what $20,000 gets you new, and remember to add in the rigging costs when doing the comparisons!

Waxy

JohninAB
05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
If you are looking at new boats and visiting dealerships ask them before hand what is all included in the purchase price, you might be shocked. Some dealers will charge you extra for the trailer spare, safety kit, lifejackets etc whereas others it is all inclusive. May not seem like much but when you get home and then have to drop $100 on a trolling motor battery because it was not included, or $150 on a spare tire etc it adds up fast.

I bought my boat new last spring. When I picked it up from the dealer all I had to do was stop and top off the fuel tank and I was ready to go. 4 life jackets, anchor, docking ropes, boat fenders, safety kit, spare tire and mounting bracket, trolling motor battery, first aid kit etc were all included in the price which was the best deal I could find anywhere.They even registered the boat for me and put the numbers on plus they sent a letter to my insurance company breaking down the cost of the individual items on the boat.
Checked this spring and the exact same boat is over $4000 more brand new now due to the declining dollar and inflation.

bsnyder
05-20-2009, 08:31 AM
OK, forgive me, but I'm going to climb back onto my soapbox on this topic yet again -

Unless you absolutely MUST have a new boat, and there's nothing wrong with that, someone has to buy them and they're nice to have, then you're going to get A LOT more boat for your money by going used, especially these days. There's a very good example right in this thread. Take a look at that Warrior and compare it to a 1650 Crestliner with a 50HP. There really is no comparison, and there's lots more boats out there like that in all sizes and brands. If you don't want that much boat, and the Crestliner or something similar is what you want, then you can buy it, ready to fish, for FAR less than $20,000.

When you're dealing with a new boat purchase, it's not just the boat itself, but all the rigging - electronics, trolling motors, batteries, splash guards, etc, etc... that up in a big hurry.

Look around at the typical classified sites - Autotrader, Kijiji, Buy and Sell, etc..., but search out the fishing forums as well, they often have great classifieds sections. Walleyecentral, IDOFishing, Walleyefirst, etc... Then there's Ebay, vast.com, iboats.com. etc...

Do a search and get a handle on how much boat you can get for $20,000 in the used market, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Then compare that to what $20,000 gets you new, and remember to add in the rigging costs when doing the comparisons!

Waxy

AMEN (haha):wave:

floppychicken
05-20-2009, 10:48 AM
The ONLY reason to buy used NOW is because folks are hurtin' from a financial point of view... Which is OK. It helps them out and you get a smokin' deal as well.... I'm onboard with that....

.... but previous to 6 months or so, USED boat prices in Alberta have been friggin' OUTRAGEOUS ! Who has not been on this board or on other sites and has seen the absolutely RIDICULOUS PRICES people have been asking for their boats ? Anyone who says they've seen GREAT deals before people starting losing their jobs and homes has been smoking CRACK !

It's only been the last six months or so that many good or GREAT deals have come along and BEWARE because there are STILL a lot of people trying to get what 'THEY PAID' for their rigs ! Anyway, having said that, If I were the original poster, I would definitely take some of these guys up on their offers and check out these rides ! I wouldn't mind a loaded 18' CrestLiner or 17' MirroCraft for the budget, especially if they are 'willing to take you out'.....

Cheers,

/FC...

bsnyder
05-20-2009, 10:58 AM
The ONLY reason to buy used NOW is because folks are hurtin' from a financial point of view... Which is OK. It helps them out and you get a smokin' deal as well.... I'm onboard with that....

.... but previous to 6 months or so, USED boat prices in Alberta have been friggin' OUTRAGEOUS ! Who has not been on this board or on other sites and has seen the absolutely RIDICULOUS PRICES people have been asking for their boats ? Anyone who says they've seen GREAT deals before people starting losing their jobs and homes has been smoking CRACK !

It's only been the last six months or so that many good or GREAT deals have come along and BEWARE because there are STILL a lot of people trying to get what 'THEY PAID' for their rigs ! Anyway, having said that, If I were the original poster, I would definitely take some of these guys up on their offers and check out these rides ! I wouldn't mind a loaded 18' CrestLiner or 17' MirroCraft for the budget, especially if they are 'willing to take you out'.....

Cheers,

/FC...

TRUE but, have you seen the price of new boats this year?:tongue2:, they went way up Ranger and Lund are nuts.A new 2025 or 2075 Lund are between 80 and 90 thousand dollers this year.:huh:, I wanted to trade my 03 2025 in on a 2075 but at 50 thousand differance I think ILL keep my older boat:mad3:

Waxy
05-20-2009, 11:16 AM
If I was looking for a used boat, I probably wouldn't be looking in AB. There may be some deals these days, but the best deals will come from down east or in the USA.

Waxy

bsnyder
05-20-2009, 11:21 AM
If I was looking for a used boat, I probably wouldn't be looking in AB. There may be some deals these days, but the best deals will come from down east or in the USA.

Waxy

True, I was looking at some Trojan,s down south.Not bad prices even with the travel and exchange

JohninAB
05-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I concur, used boat prices here seem to be inflated for the most part especially on Kijiji. Some real clunkers there and people asking pristine prices for them on boats without much to offer.

jan
05-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks folks.You are verry nice and right about !why buy new boat .
Nothing wrong with use .I was looking for long time for use ,but the price what they ask was to high.Thanks for the respond and good sugestions.I just need boat for fishing with my wife.I currently owe verry lucky 14 ft alum.20hp
but need upgrade to bigger boat( mostly fishing Pinehurst Lake,-18 years).
Nice to have all the toys in the boat(speedy motor,etc,etc)but i have to remember i like fishing and hunting to. That why i dont want spend to much for speedy boat,only i need what is necessary to fish on rainy or sometimes
windy days.I am sorry for the owner Warrior boat(realy nice boat )but i thing to expencive for my pocket.Talking new Crestliner Sport Angler 1650(50 hp)
price is not bad ($ 18.5)not included sun top,troling motor fish finder,cover tarp.What do you thing how much that will be cost extra. Thanks again. J.J
Sorry for the spelling . Iam Polish Warrior

jesse34567
05-20-2009, 05:11 PM
also if u can drive out for a boat check in saskachwan or bc for some awesome deals

Rainbow_boats
05-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Boat buying TIPS...

1) Regarding the dealer I am representing...
-All of our boats are made in the US.
-The US currency with the exception of the last 2-3 weeks. Has been 20-30% worse this year.
-The price of unfinished aluminum metal is up 7% this year over last.
-THIS SHOULD EQUATE TO PRICES 27-37% HIGHER THIS YEAR.

HOWEVER, our Aluminum boat prices have ONLY GONE UP from 5-10%
---The local dealers are absorbing the greater majority of the currency differences.

2) If your from Alberta there is no reason to buy a new boat out of province OR country. If your looking to go to the US and buy new, our dealership would be more than happy to BEAT THE US PRICE... ALWAYS... Just be prepared to bring us US currency as well.

In other words... if there selling a boat for $30k US, and we are asking $40k CAN. Let us know its impossible for us to shop every dealer across the continent.... KEEP THE DEALER HONEST, bring them $30k US, and you'll go home happy.

TO DATE THIS YEAR WE HAVE SOLD 2 BOATS, INTO THE UNITED STATES. American citizens are offering to pay US currency for a product and pick it up in Alberta, if we can undercut their local dealers price. AS MENTIONED ALBERTA DEALERS WANT YOUR BUSINESS, be honest with them, and explain the deals offered in the US and you can bet they'll earn/attract your business.

3) Enjoy the fishing season.

Thanks,

Mark
Rainbow

bsnyder
05-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Boat buying TIPS...

-The US currency with the exception of the last 2-3 weeks. Has been 20-30% worse this year.

---The local dealers are absorbing the greater majority of the currency differences.

2) If your from Alberta there is no reason to buy a new boat out of province OR country. If your looking to go to the US and buy new, our dealership would be more than happy to BEAT THE US PRICE... ALWAYS... Just be prepared to bring us US currency as well.

In other words... if there selling a boat for $30k US, and we are asking $40k CAN. Let us know its impossible for us to shop every dealer across the continent.... KEEP THE DEALER HONEST, bring them $30k US, and you'll go home happy.

TO DATE THIS YEAR WE HAVE SOLD 2 BOATS, INTO THE UNITED STATES. American citizens are offering to pay US currency for a product and pick it up in Alberta, if we can undercut their local dealers price. AS MENTIONED ALBERTA DEALERS WANT YOUR BUSINESS, be honest with them, and explain the deals offered in the US and you can bet they'll earn/attract your business.

Thanks,

Mark
Rainbow

Hi Mark, whats your best buddy, tournament price on a new 2025 or 2075 with a 300hp , merc 2 stroke.Have a 03, 2025 with yamaha 250 :sick:
thanks

floppychicken
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Boat buying TIPS...

Thanks,

Mark
Rainbow

Well,

It doesn't matter how a person looks at it, we Canadians get the sh!t end of the stick when it comes to buying our own goods, "Even in the USA".

Take a look at QUAD prices... The difference in pricing from last year was absolutely INSANE. The same QUAD down in Montana was $3000.00 BUCKS less than it was here ! Remember that Montana ALSO has NO sales tax...

I was looking at WeldCraft boats and they Too were almost $10,000 less than in Alberta.... This was AFTER paying trailer and import tax.

Also, how about buying trucks from the US ? Remember how GM wouldn't allow you to import ANY of their vehicles ? And if you did, they wouldn't honor the warranty anyway. That's why all these vehicles from the 'defunct dealerships' that come up from the USA can only have 'third party warranty's' like "Car Care" and such...

How about buying anything that has Canadian parts in it ? I was inquiring about a few boats and the US dealer said they couldn't be imported because they had "Bombardier" parts in them ! This also meant, Ski-Doo's, Quads, etc..... What a Crock !

....and we wonder why the 'NAFTA' doesn't work! We can thank the morons who put it together in the first place, along with the people who try and control the strength of the FIAT dollar ! What a JOKE.

/FC...

Waxy
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks folks.You are verry nice and right about !why buy new boat .
Nothing wrong with use .I was looking for long time for use ,but the price what they ask was to high.Thanks for the respond and good sugestions.I just need boat for fishing with my wife.I currently owe verry lucky 14 ft alum.20hp
but need upgrade to bigger boat( mostly fishing Pinehurst Lake,-18 years).
Nice to have all the toys in the boat(speedy motor,etc,etc)but i have to remember i like fishing and hunting to. That why i dont want spend to much for speedy boat,only i need what is necessary to fish on rainy or sometimes
windy days.I am sorry for the owner Warrior boat(realy nice boat )but i thing to expencive for my pocket.Talking new Crestliner Sport Angler 1650(50 hp)
price is not bad ($ 18.5)not included sun top,troling motor fish finder,cover tarp.What do you thing how much that will be cost extra. Thanks again. J.J
Sorry for the spelling . Iam Polish Warrior

There should be lots of options out there in the 16-18' range, with a 50-100HP outboard. Search the internet. Simply typing "Crestliner Sport Angler 1650" into Google will give you a start.

Sun top - $300-800
Trolling motor - $500-1500
Batteries - $100-300
Fish Finder - $300-3000
Travel Cover -$400-1000

As you can see, that stuff adds up in a real hurry. You also need all the basics if they don't come with the deal - safety equipment, paddles, lifejackets, ropes, bumpers, etc...

You may have to buy some of that yourself regardless of whether you buy new or used, so keep that in mind.

Good luck with your search,

Waxy

Tredeb
05-21-2009, 09:21 AM
If you are usually at pinehurst, why don't you do yourself a favor and stop at LAc La Biche sporting goods to see what they have.

I own an Alumacraft and I absolutely love it. Power Merchants in St Paul has started dealing in them and they seem very good to talk to, although I have not done business there, yet.

when I was shopping for my boat, I could not find a better boat than Alumacraft, for the money.

My $0.02

JohninAB
05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
My Crestliner bought new last year came with absolutely everything including travel cover.

floppychicken
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
If you are usually at pinehurst, why don't you do yourself a favor and stop at LAc La Biche sporting goods to see what they have.

I own an Alumacraft and I absolutely love it. Power Merchants in St Paul has started dealing in them and they seem very good to talk to, although I have not done business there, yet.

when I was shopping for my boat, I could not find a better boat than Alumacraft, for the money.

My $0.02

Yeah, X2 here..... JMO.

Crossbow
05-22-2009, 09:03 AM
I may be looking to sell my 2005 1650 Sport Angler w/90 Merc. Call 403.999.7804

jan
05-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Thanks for advisefor new boat.Now i sold my 14 ft.boat and have big problem to find new boat.Crestliner & Lund is my top list.After checking Free
Spirit marine (Thane very friendly ,strongly recommended him)also Rainbow Marine (Mark is good guy to ),only one problem ,They still asking money for boat.I understand nothing for free..Money ,Money, money.Ha Ha Ha .Amen
Example :Crestliner 1650 sport Angler: good price but only with 50 hp.2 stroke
I thing little underpower(what you think?)As you add ;90 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke
direct engine or 90hp. Nissan 4 stroke -price going up to $22000-$24000.
Also i don't know about propellers-better go with aluminium or stainless
and what size (pitch). SUMMARY. I MISS MY FISHING.

Little Red Man
05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Sent you a PM.....

I-Love-Eyes
05-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Crestliner 1650 Sport Angler...we have 2004 with 90 hp nissan Great little Motor) paid $23,000 came with fishfinder, trolling motor, bimini top, and travel cover and he got our Canadian boat registration, too. Got his unit from Free Spirit Marine..Thane..

bsnyder
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi Thanks for advisefor new boat.Now i sold my 14 ft.boat and have big problem to find new boat.Crestliner & Lund is my top list.After checking Free
Spirit marine (Thane very friendly ,strongly recommended him)also Rainbow Marine (Mark is good guy to ),only one problem ,They still asking money for boat.I understand nothing for free..Money ,Money, money.Ha Ha Ha .Amen
Example :Crestliner 1650 sport Angler: good price but only with 50 hp.2 stroke
I thing little underpower(what you think?)As you add ;90 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke
direct engine or 90hp. Nissan 4 stroke -price going up to $22000-$24000.
Also i don't know about propellers-better go with aluminium or stainless
and what size (pitch). SUMMARY. I MISS MY FISHING.

:wave:What ever you buy make sure it has the largest moter on ,that the boat is rated for or you will be sorry:cry:
As far as props , if you are in rocky locations go Alum.You will save damage to your leg if you hit and they are much cheaper to replace.But you will sacrifice on performance.:(For tournaments we all run stainless, much better speed and handeling , can be repaired but very expensive:sick:
The pitch depends on the size and working load of you boat.Usually most boats will be running at 5500 rpm at full speed and full load.Thats optimum.Its very important to have the proper pitch,If you work your moter to hard(4500rpm at full ) or are over reving (6000 +) you will be replacing your motor.:tongue2:Done IT, haha :tongue2:
We have a 2025 with a 250hp and run a 23 pitch stainless at 55-5700 rpm.:)