PDA

View Full Version : anyone with a quick fix?

the local angler
01-19-2018, 06:25 PM
hey all i have an older model jiffy model 30 2 cycle ice auger, i just need a fuel line replacement. i have heard of using hobby shop clear tubing but not sure if its rated for fuel. i have heard of a place something like" two brothers " hard ware store way down in the southeast. would regular automotive parts store have something similar for a fuel line that is the same diameter inside and out and see through? i am hoping for something in the north area of town if that helps. i just need to to find a place that sells the fuel line. i tried the fishing hole but they didn't have it. maybe like a small engine type shop since its a Tecumseh engine?

Weedy1
01-19-2018, 06:31 PM
hey all i have an older model jiffy model 30 2 cycle ice auger, i just need a fuel line replacement. i have heard of using hobby shop clear tubing but not sure if its rated for fuel. i have heard of a place something like" two brothers " hard ware store way down in the southeast. would regular automotive parts store have something similar for a fuel line that is the same diameter inside and out and see through? i am hoping for something in the north area of town if that helps. i just need to to find a place that sells the fuel line. i tried the fishing hole but they didn't have it. maybe like a small engine type shop since its a Tecumseh engine?

Don't know where you are but how about Napa or Parts Source?

https://www.napacanada.com/en/search?text=fuel%2Bline&referer=search_form-allprod

the local angler
01-19-2018, 06:34 PM
problem solved a bit of a search revealed princess auto carries an assortment of these clear fuel/primer lines and in different sizes too. thanks for the quick reply

LutherDLG
01-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Was going to say - Princess Auto sells replacement 1/4" and 1/8" fuel line for lawn mowers, etc. If you ever need any other kind of fuel line, or any hose for that matter, including ones that are ethanol resistant - check out Green Line Hoses.

curtis_rak
01-19-2018, 07:39 PM
I just received a box in the mail for my old Jiffy White Lightening.

Its been leaking fuel for a while now and I can't pinpoint if the tank is cracked (common) or it's just the line. I opted for a new tank. $50 shipped for a brand new tank, fuel line and clamps.

Will post the results tomorrow when I get it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the local angler
01-19-2018, 09:41 PM
cool cause right now i am in the same senario as i know i am leaking fuel when i drill and see drops of blue on the ice so the first thing i thought was the fuel line cause since i bought this unit like 15 plus years ago brand new till now still the original fuel line spark plugs etc... i just hope its the ends of the fuel line just worn out. i stopped using this auger when i noticed the leak (and yes i cleaned up the drips of fuel/oil mixture ). is the replacement tank still plastic or can you get like a metal tank from the aftermarket?

Dozer Pete
01-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Fuel line at Bumper to Bumper, $ the foot. The OD on the fuel line (at NAPA) is was a little smaller than on my auger. Use a chainsaw fuel filter in the tank. They work great.

curtis_rak
01-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Took mine apart today. I ordered a brand new plastic tank and it came with clamps and about 12" of clear fuel line.

Looks like my fuel line was okay (but old, varnished etc). The nipple on the bottom of the tank seemed like it was bent or slightly off (maybe a small crack somewhere). I noticed that the white plastic fuel elbow on top of the carb was cracked in two places and would definitely leak.

Instead of waiting another week for a new plastic elbow I cleaned the fuel line straight to the carb. There is enough clearance that you don't even need the elbow... the clear line won't kink.

So I fired it up and all was good for a couple mins and it leaked again! Turns out in addition to the cracked elbow the 4 screws that holds a metal plate onto the carb were loose. So I tightened the 4 screws which sucked down the gasket u set the plate and it's leak free now.

Long story short, you may have more than 1 leak. Get it all nice and clean with a tag and some varsol then start examining all of those potential spots.

This is the tank kit I bought.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282 757647325

the local angler
01-20-2018, 05:43 PM
thanks for the info, i just got back from princess auto and they had like 4 sizes of clear primer/fuel line and since i was lazy in taking mine apart to find the exact size i bought one pack of each size. i will definitely check the various parts like you did and hope all is good. where did you order the fuel tank kit? did you actually buy it from ebay?

SNAPFisher
01-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Good info guys! Thanks Local and Playdoh. I think I have a similar issue after knocking mine over this year. Glad to hear about the kits. I think I also need a new plug. I'll put some time into fixing the Jiffy.

curtis_rak
01-21-2018, 08:19 AM
That link that I posted is the exact one I bought.... it shipped in 6 or 7 days.

the local angler
01-21-2018, 02:48 PM
ok i just got back from replacing the fuel line for my auger in the back yard and it wasn't as easy as i would have hope for. first i removed the fuel tank, simply enough, but the nuts inside the filter cover didn't come off like it should and the two studs came out too causing the throttle spring, carb, 3 gaskets and one plate all to fall out at once. yup i managed to gather all the parts and replaced the fuel line which turns out the 3/16 primer/fuel line is much thicker then the factory one and the spring loaded clips that hold the hose to the fuel tank and carb nipples was just barely fit over the fuel line, a bit tricky as i didn't want to break off the plastic nipples. all reassembled except the throttle spring cause i didn't notice where each ends clipped on to. so back onto the internet and youtube and managed to find out where each end goes. so now reassembled but haven't tested yet as i didn't have and fuel/two cycle oil mix around. i really hope its good. fingers crossed.