PDA

View Full Version : Official Lake Sundance Calgary Perch fishing bonking club

Pages : [1] 2

Sundancefisher
01-20-2018, 11:00 AM
I keep fielding posts and questions on Lake Sundance. There are also other members on the forum from the community.

Lake Facts:

There are 9 man made lake communities with sport fishing options. Bonavista, Bonaventure, Arbour, Chaparral, Sundance, Midnapore, McKenzie, Auburn, Heritage.

Lake Sundance was constructed in 1980 and consists of a 33 acre (13.2 hectare) man made lake and a 22 acre (8.9 hectare) park.

As the lake is manmade there is no inlet or outlet stream with no chance of emigration or immigration of fishes.

The lake has become more eutrophic over the years with an increase in nutrients coming from both man made fertilizers from lawn run off and a
lso birds such as Canada Geese.

There is open water fishing for about 7-8 months (April –November) of the year and ice fishing for approximately 2 months (January –Feb) of the year.

Ice came off the lake on April 30, 2009 and April 7, 2010, April 23, 2013, April 24, 2014, March 31, 2015, March 28, 2016, April 20, 2017.

Lake froze over November 19, 2010, November 16, 2011, November 15, 2012, November 14, 2014, and November 26, 2016

Lake Sundance has an average depth of about 22 feet or 6.7 meters and has no natural inflow or outflow or natural springs.

Water levels are controlled and topped off yearly if required using a water well drilled in 2011 or city water. Prior to that, water was only purchased from the City of Calgary.

Summer activities on the lake include boating, swimming and fishing. Winter activities include skating, fishing and cross country skiing.

Off lake activities include skating and tobogganing in the winter and beach activities, playground activities, tennis, basketball, road hockey and picnics in the summer.

The volume of water in this lake would be approximately 800,000 m3 to 830,000 m3 depending upon the water level and time of year.

Currently we have rainbow trout as well as brown trout, brook trout and grass carp which are all currently catch and release.

There are illegally introduced yellow perch in the lake which have stunted due to over population. As these perch out compete our stocked trout for natural food we strongly encourage everyone to catch as many as possible. All caught perch must be killed. Brown trout and brook trout will eat small perch whereas rainbow trout will not. Grass carp feed on the aquatic plants
in the lake.

Community Facts:

Lake Sundance falls within the Sundance Lake Community boundary sandwiched on the west by MacLeod Trail and the east by Fish Creek Provincial Park. The north boundary is Midnapore community and the south is highway 22 X.

Lake Sundance sits at an elevation of 3411 ft above sea level and the coordinates at the center of the lake is approximately 50o 54 ‘ 05.74” N by 114o 02’ 2.30” W (Google Earth, 2007).

Residents can bring up to guests in to fish at a time. I and others have brought in many guests over the years. Fun times sitting on the ice bonking perch and casting in the summer for trout. Many times I personally just head out to fish...way better than watching fishing on TV. If interested...PM a local resident.

I and others will post fishing updates here as to what is happen fish wise. What is biting. What they are biting on. Hopefully other residents will also chime in with their updates.

Cheers

Sun

The Spank
01-20-2018, 11:19 AM
I can recall fishing rainbows in one of the community man made lakes in the summer of ‘81 as a guest of a friend. I just can’t recall which?

Sundancefisher
01-20-2018, 12:05 PM
I can recall fishing rainbows in one of the community man made lakes in the summer of ‘81 as a guest of a friend. I just can’t recall which?

bonavista was the first. Likely there. Was there houses all around the lake? 1994 was when the last lake home state in Sundance were built.

The Spank
01-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Yes there was and if I recall some kind of a community centre or complex? It was a long time ago. I was 17, memory is a bit dim. Working that summer in Calgary is a bit of a blurr from cramming so much into such a short span of time. Lol

Sundancefisher
01-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Yes there was and if I recall some kind of a community centre or complex? It was a long time ago. I was 17, memory is a bit dim. Working that summer in Calgary is a bit of a blurr from cramming so much into such a short span of time. Lol

Must of been Bonavista then. Maybe Midnapore.

The Spank
01-20-2018, 02:28 PM
I googled both and checked out the locations and images. Definitely Midnapore. I was able to recognize a few buildings and an area of the lake from online images. It was pretty new when I was there and reading up on it the development time (1977) being as new as it was would coincide with my time there (1981).
Thanks for that!!

Sundancefisher
01-20-2018, 05:00 PM
I googled both and checked out the locations and images. Definitely Midnapore. I was able to recognize a few buildings and an area of the lake from online images. It was pretty new when I was there and reading up on it the development time (1977) being as new as it was would coincide with my time there (1981).
Thanks for that!!

No problemo. Lots of fun memories fishing.

Sundancefisher
01-20-2018, 05:02 PM
Was out with a couple residents today. Helped one family learn how to catch perch. The morning is fishing far better these days. Really slowed down after 1 pm.

Perch were on bottom and wanted slow presentation. No trout caught. I have only caught 1 brown and 1 brook in the past month. Caught about a 1000 perch in that time.

Small jigs with a perch eye seem the best.

The Spank
01-20-2018, 07:44 PM
What size are these perch you’re catching and bonking?

the local angler
01-20-2018, 07:51 PM
a couple of weeks ago i was out there with sundancefisher and average was about 7" ish. if you have the patience for them they are a blast to catch and takes time to clean but well worth it.

dutchpirate
01-20-2018, 08:18 PM
...takes time to clean but well worth it.

I'm at work so I can't get on youtube right now, but search 10 second perch cleaning, great technique, I believe the guy in the video is named Costas. I'm nowhere near the 10 seconds, more like a minute or two, but still pretty quick.

dutchpirate
01-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Home now, found the video (https://youtu.be/pjTlFwQb7D0)

the local angler
01-20-2018, 10:43 PM
i have seen that video before but never even tried it.....hmmmm next time

Sundancefisher
01-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Fish were smaller yesterday. Averaged about 6 inch. Going out again now.

The 10 second method works. Takes 60 seconds for most people.

The Spank
01-21-2018, 01:19 PM
6”-7” perch aren’t too bad to clean. Takes a bunch for a good fish fry but well worth the effort. They are tasty little beggars! :)

sneekerp
01-21-2018, 04:15 PM
6”-7” perch aren’t too bad to clean. Takes a bunch for a good fish fry but well worth the effort. They are tasty little beggars! :)

I wouldn't get too excited about a 6-7" average in Sundace. I'm not sure if their tape measures are rubber, but from personal experience the average size is much smaller. My boys and I were out for the afternoon last weekend. We caught 132 perch. Only 2 made the 6" mark. The rest were under 5".

The Spank
01-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Lol, I wasnt getting excited by any means. Only offering up an opinion and word of encouragement. Calgary is a long drive to fish for perch. I can be on Lac La Ronge in alot less time catching limits of 5 pound walleye and lakers to 20lbs that I can keep without tags.

Sundancefisher
01-21-2018, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't get too excited about a 6-7" average in Sundace. I'm not sure if their tape measures are rubber, but from personal experience the average size is much smaller. My boys and I were out for the afternoon last weekend. We caught 132 perch. Only 2 made the 6" mark. The rest were under 5".

Strange. Most I measured today were over 6 inch. I have caught more smaller ones recently.

Still...these aren't monsters. I did catch a few 8 inchers this year and couple 9's.

sneekerp
01-21-2018, 09:20 PM
Strange. Most I measured today were over 6 inch. I have caught more smaller ones recently.

Still...these aren't monsters. I did catch a few 8 inchers this year and couple 9's.

I'd sure like to see those pictures of the 9 inchers with a tape measure.

Sundancefisher
01-22-2018, 09:05 AM

Next time I will. As mentioned...I said couple. So out of 10,000 + perch I caught last year... less than 10 were 8 inch and 2 were 9. Of course the corner where I fish has seen significant depletion of perch within a good casting radius...and they may have a bit more food.

I have a new net to use this year to reduce perch populations.

Dimensions: 150’ x 12’ x ½” stretched mesh
Material: Polypropylene braided knotless netting (black)
Lead line flush to net
Comes with purse/bag

When the perch move in shallow to spawn in the spring we will give it a spin. I want to try before I stock the new trout. Then during the summer when I see perch schools in tight to shore we will do more seining.

Just need to find folks that want thousands of perch to either eat, feed to animals or use as fertilizer.

Should be able to catch 10,000 to 100,000 perch in a day to start I am thinking. Depends upon how many people want to come out and help for a share of the catch.

I guess I will have to set up a registration system.

Netting like this is more fun.

Sundancefisher
01-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Fishing was once again spotty yesterday. We moved around a bit. Lots of perch showing up on the flasher my buddy had...just not aggressive to the hook.

Every hole you drill has about 1000 perch within a 10 foot radius.

slingshotz
01-22-2018, 11:46 AM
We were out there two weeks ago and caught maybe a hundred and then we also took maybe another hundred from Sundance and others that didn't want them. They all were about 6-7" and some of them were already full of eggs surprisingly.

Since they are so small, the best way I found was to simply fillet each one leaving the rib cage and skin on, takes about 10 seconds to run the knife behind the head and right down the spine, you don't need to gut them, but make sure you leave the dorsal fin attached to the spine. Then after washing the fillets quickly to get rid of any guts and stuff, I just roll them lightly in seasoned flour and deep fry them. Since they are so small, the rib bones, skin and scales just crisps up and there's no choking hazard. I learned this trick from some russian friends as a kid. For smaller ones it is also possible to run a knife down the middle of the spine and butterfly them but you need to remove the dorsal fin, head and guts. If you deep fry them properly (not in a batter), the spine will also be crispy and eatable.

Next time I do this, I'll try and take a video and photos showing the before and after. Took me maybe 2 hours and I got over 3kg of fillets.

Sundancefisher
01-22-2018, 04:05 PM
We were out there two weeks ago and caught maybe a hundred and then we also took maybe another hundred from Sundance and others that didn't want them. They all were about 6-7" and some of them were already full of eggs surprisingly.

Since they are so small, the best way I found was to simply fillet each one leaving the rib cage and skin on, takes about 10 seconds to run the knife behind the head and right down the spine, you don't need to gut them, but make sure you leave the dorsal fin attached to the spine. Then after washing the fillets quickly to get rid of any guts and stuff, I just roll them lightly in seasoned flour and deep fry them. Since they are so small, the rib bones, skin and scales just crisps up and there's no choking hazard. I learned this trick from some russian friends as a kid. For smaller ones it is also possible to run a knife down the middle of the spine and butterfly them but you need to remove the dorsal fin, head and guts. If you deep fry them properly (not in a batter), the spine will also be crispy and eatable.

Next time I do this, I'll try and take a video and photos showing the before and after. Took me maybe 2 hours and I got over 3kg of fillets.

Great update. Good to know the cleaning and eating technique. The "10 second method" I found usually rips the guts out as well.

Sundancefisher
02-02-2018, 10:11 PM
Going to be a cold snowy weekend on the lake.

Habfan
02-03-2018, 05:38 AM
Sundance, you should try pickled fish ! If you fillet the meat off, then follow a pickled fish recipe off of the internet, the vinegar dissolves the bones. Perch is very tasty pickled.

Sundancefisher
02-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Sundance, you should try pickled fish ! If you fillet the meat off, then follow a pickled fish recipe off of the internet, the vinegar dissolves the bones. Perch is very tasty pickled.

How about you come out..catch a hundred...take a few hundred more...take them home and pickle then pop out to get hundreds more ...we eat some...and repeat?

:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Habfan
02-03-2018, 08:43 AM
How about you come out..catch a hundred...take a few hundred more...take them home and pickle then pop out to get hundreds more ...we eat some...and repeat?

Ok ! I’m in McKenzie Lake. I can return the invite, but for Rainbows instead. I’ll pm you when it warms up. :)

Sundancefisher
02-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Ok ! I’m in McKenzie Lake. I can return the invite, but for Rainbows instead. I’ll pm you when it warms up. :)

Sounds like a plan

openfire
02-03-2018, 12:05 PM
Fishing was once again spotty yesterday. We moved around a bit. Lots of perch showing up on the flasher my buddy had...just not aggressive to the hook.

Every hole you drill has about 1000 perch within a 10 foot radius.

Sounds like a great place to take kids.

Drewski Canuck
02-03-2018, 07:24 PM
Sundance,

22 fow on the deep side is not much.

I have never seen the lake, but I am wondering if you can either let the lake level drop in the fall, or pump the water out onto the ice in the early winter to freeze it down to the point where it winter kills.

That would allow a fresh start sans Perch.

I have often wondered if rotenone could be distributed under the ice to consume the oxygen and force a winterkill. If that could be done in March when the oxygen levels are low to start, it would be pretty effective.

However, this is the biggest problem for our trout lakes and the Province has not rehabilitated any of our lakes. BC is now rehabilitating a number of lakes in the Kamloops - Kootenay Lake area. I am jealous.

Drewski

Sundancefisher
02-03-2018, 11:11 PM
Sundance,

22 fow on the deep side is not much.

I have never seen the lake, but I am wondering if you can either let the lake level drop in the fall, or pump the water out onto the ice in the early winter to freeze it down to the point where it winter kills.

That would allow a fresh start sans Perch.

I have often wondered if rotenone could be distributed under the ice to consume the oxygen and force a winterkill. If that could be done in March when the oxygen levels are low to start, it would be pretty effective.

However, this is the biggest problem for our trout lakes and the Province has not rehabilitated any of our lakes. BC is now rehabilitating a number of lakes in the Kamloops - Kootenay Lake area. I am jealous.

Drewski

Rotenone would work. Draining the lake would be super expensive to refill.

Sundancefisher
02-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a great place to take kids.

Today would of been awesome for kids expect for the cold. It was a perch a minute. So cold the heater just kept the chill off.

Sundancefisher
02-11-2018, 09:55 AM
So much snow in Calgary and more on the way.

Coldest winter in a while. I have used my shelter quite a bit.

On the plus side the perch are still biting well.

Sundancefisher
02-22-2018, 07:43 PM
All residents. Grab your families and head on out. Don't be afraid to bring two guests!

Weather looking ok. -3 for a high. Partly sunny.

the local angler
02-22-2018, 10:17 PM
wish i could be there but down with the flu

Sundancefisher
02-23-2018, 04:29 PM
wish i could be there but down with the flu

The flu I have seen going around really sucks to.

Sundancefisher
02-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Fishing derby on Feb 24th was great. 135 anglers. Lots of guest and better yet lots of kids. Seeing a child get a ribbon stating "I Caught My First Fish at Lake Sundance" while fishing with mom and dad was priceless. Smiles from ear to ear.

Weather likely played a part in getting a 44% participation increase.

Still...the more we get families out fishing the better.

Once the daylight savings kicks in and it is lighter well into the evening we can do some perch slaying after work for a few hours. Just need a lawn chair, bucket and rod.

Interestingly enough I had 30 marmish rods for prizes and people didn't have a clue what they were. In hindsight I should of given a demo.

Elchinodiablo
02-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Any Marmish Rods left over??

Sundancefisher
02-27-2018, 05:28 PM
Any Marmish Rods left over??

Nope. All were claimed. They are great for little perch.

Sundancefisher
03-16-2018, 07:21 AM

Out of 66 caught in an hour 1 was 9 inch and 1 was 8 inch. Most other 6-7. A few under 6.

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/status/974090280583405568

Sundancefisher
03-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Holes have formed due to melt and snow weight.

Watch out at surrounding lakes.

Dewey Cox
03-17-2018, 01:55 PM
What’s a marmish rod?

millsboy79
03-17-2018, 02:10 PM
What’s a marmish rod?Questions like that are best answered by Google or YouTube

Dewey Cox
03-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Yeah, a fishing forum is a really stupid place to ask about stuff like that.

Coiloil37
03-17-2018, 02:24 PM
What’s a marmish rod?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/6aefa4b4865a5892edb2271568973118.jpg

millsboy79
03-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Yeah, a fishing forum is a really stupid place to ask about stuff like that.Didn't say it was a stupid place ... just said there were better.

HowSwedeItIs
03-17-2018, 03:00 PM
What’s a marmish rod?

A brand of palm/hand rod from out of Edmonton, it has a spring bobber that is adjustable based on the weight of the lure. You can fish tiny presentations on them, they sell a whole range of small jigs under the marmish name. Bought a couple of them a few years ago, never really used them as I fish deeper water than they are really handy for but I like the idea

Dewey Cox
03-17-2018, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Sundancefisher
03-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Can't beat the palm rod for perch.

Sundancefisher
04-14-2018, 08:44 AM
With all the perch in the lake the trout our slow to grow. Put 800 browns 5-7 inch about 1 year 5 months ago and caught a 10 incher the other day.

Rainbows were looking skinny however I have been chopping up perch and dropping down the hole (still lots of ice but lake closed to foot traffic). Caught a number of fat full tummy trout last night.

Looks like my feeding station is working.

See if this link works. Fat rainbow photo.

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/status/984969211523956736?s=21

Sundancefisher
04-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Going to feed some more trout shortly.

huntsfurfish
04-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Going to feed some more trout shortly.

2 thumbs up.

sneekerp
04-14-2018, 12:44 PM
With all the perch in the lake the trout our slow to grow. Put 800 browns 5-7 inch about 1 year 5 months ago and caught a 10 incher the other day.

Rainbows were looking skinny however I have been chopping up perch and dropping down the hole (still lots of ice but lake closed to foot traffic). Caught a number of fat full tummy trout last night.

Looks like my feeding station is working.

See if this link works. Fat rainbow photo.

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/status/984969211523956736?s=21
How is it that you are allowed to fish the lake when it's closed to everyone else?

Sundancefisher
04-14-2018, 05:51 PM
How is it that you are allowed to fish the lake when it's closed to everyone else?

By not standing on the ice.

Sundancefisher
04-17-2018, 02:14 PM
There is still so much ice left on city lakes. I am wondering if we are looking into the second week of May for Sundance to be ice free.

coyoteman
04-17-2018, 09:55 PM
Have a non fishing friend at Arbour, Caught some nice rainbows, Fly fishing.
I wonder if any perch in that lake? Never though to try.
Very good for ice skateing as well.

Sundancefisher
04-18-2018, 09:32 AM
Have a non fishing friend at Arbour, Caught some nice rainbows, Fly fishing.
I wonder if any perch in that lake? Never though to try.
Very good for ice skateing as well.

Hopefully no perch there. They destroy the lake. Worst thing to ever happy to Lake Sundance. We could have a prolific trophy trout fishing lake if perch were not in there.

Sundancefisher
04-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Just slayed the perch last night. It seems our high harvest in the corner is allowing a fair number of 7 incher, some 8 inchers and even a few as big as 9. Bigger ones mostly fat females.

Seeing quite a few brookies and rainbows with more browns.

The trout seem to like eating raw perch McNuggets. :bad_boys_20:

They appear to be growing on this diet. Just hope they are being taste trained to go after the biggies.

If anyone wants buckets of perch...hundreds of pounds worth...I will be setting up a seine netting event right after ice out. Could be this coming weekend or next. Ice is very close to going off. Another warm day with wind could do it.

Need a guys with sandals (not afraid of the cold) or hip waders. Need lots of fine mesh dip nets. May need to make a run to bass pro.

The net is 150 feet long by 14 feet high and 1/4 inch mesh. It gets laid parallel to shore with ropes on both ends. Ropes get pull to shore and everything gets scooped along. Some trout will go up and over. Once to shore the fish will ge concentrated in the water. Each scoop has perch going into tubs and buckets. Trout returned to the lake. Then repeat.

I expect 1000-10,000 perch per pull.

Flieguy
04-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Wanna let me tag along next week or weekend? I'll tie you some flies

Sundancefisher
04-29-2018, 12:48 AM
Wanna let me tag along next week or weekend? I'll tie you some flies

No bribes needed to come fish or net. PM me.

jeek93
04-30-2018, 04:50 PM
No bribes needed to come fish or net. PM me.
Hi Sundancefisher,

I'm interested in joining this weekend if you have any spots left. Have waders and a small fishing net. Tried to PM you, but your inbox seems to be full. Send me a PM if you have room for me. Thanks!

Badback
05-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Anyone interested in helping with the seine netting at Lake Sundance this Sunday May 6th at 1:00, PM Sundancefisher. You will need to bring rubber nets, waders if possible and buckets/tubs to haul perch away. When you arrive at the Lake Office, inform the staff you are with the perch netting.

If anyone wants buckets of perch...hundreds of pounds worth...I will be setting up a seine netting event right after ice out. Could be this coming weekend or next. Ice is very close to going off. Another warm day with wind could do it.

Need a guys with sandals (not afraid of the cold) or hip waders. Need lots of fine mesh dip nets. May need to make a run to bass pro.

The net is 150 feet long by 14 feet high and 1/4 inch mesh. It gets laid parallel to shore with ropes on both ends. Ropes get pull to shore and everything gets scooped along. Some trout will go up and over. Once to shore the fish will ge concentrated in the water. Each scoop has perch going into tubs and buckets. Trout returned to the lake. Then repeat.

I expect 1000-10,000 perch per pull.

Badback
05-03-2018, 09:44 PM
So while Sundancefisher is away at camp, he can not access his PM messages, so if anyone is interested in netting perch this Sunday, you can PM me.

Anyone interested in helping with the seine netting at Lake Sundance this Sunday May 6th at 1:00, PM Sundancefisher. You will need to bring rubber nets, waders if possible and buckets/tubs to haul perch away. When you arrive at the Lake Office, inform the staff you are with the perch netting.

Badback
05-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Update, there are tons of perch in the shallows so tomorrow’s netting should be really good. Thanks to the people that Pm’d me and if anyone wants to just drop in tomorrow at 1:00 remember to bring waders, nets with rubber netting and buckets to take fish home.

So while Sundancefisher is away at camp, he can not access his PM messages, so if anyone is interested in netting perch this Sunday, you can PM me.

jeek93
05-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Thank you Sundancefisher and badback for inviting us. I had a great time! Those little perch sure tasted good. I had so many that I gave up filleting after a while and buried the rest for compost. I took home only about a third full bucket...but it had over 200 perches. I figure a full bucket would contain about 500 to 600 so we must have slayed over 5000 yesterday. You guys are blessed to live in such a beautiful community. Thank you again!

Badback
05-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Thank you Sundancefisher and badback for inviting us. I had a great time! Those little perch sure tasted good. I had so many that I gave up filleting after a while and buried the rest for compost. I took home only about a third full bucket...but it had over 200 perches. I figure a full bucket would contain about 500 to 600 so we must have slayed over 5000 yesterday. You guys are blessed to live in such a beautiful community. Thank you again!

Thanks Jeek93 it was good meeting you and the other members from the form. It was cool seeing aviador's boys go for swim since the water wasn't that warm but they did it. Here are a couple of pics of netting and if anyone would like to try this, we need at least 6 people to handle the net (150 feet long).

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/Image-1_zpsytxxohxl.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/IMG_0938_zpspt6vckij.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/perch%20siegn_zps1ozrpyqk.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/perch%20siegn2_zpsvmkggisk.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/IMG_1007_zpsgacss85m.jpg

aviador
05-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Yes, as Jeek93 said, thank you Badback and Sundance Fisher. Great to meet everyone and what a wonderful way to spend the day, the boys had a blast while we were netting and the wife was happy that the only thing she could do was relax and soak up some sun!
I cleaned fish for two days but did them all! About 15-16 pounds of fillets we figured.....
Thanks again and look forward to joining you again someday.

pinelakeperch
05-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Looks like fun! Other than fileting a 4in perch of course :sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
12-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Getting close to ice fishing perch bonking season. Actually caught a few 9-10 inch perch this year. Between thinning them out hard in the immediate area plus stocking browns and brooks to eat the little perch I am optimistic on fishing.

It is cool catching a perch followed by a rainbow followed by a brook followed by a brown.

Got to observe them under water interacting. Browns swim with some rainbows. Brooks tend to hang on their own. Rainbows stay schooled well after stocking.

Perch are freaked out by the trout. Brooks are very aggressive feeding on the bottom and are first to notice food on the surface but are slower to swim to surface. When they do they slurp. Rainbows power through food at the surface.

After stocking browns, brooks and rainbows one will need to get down to the bottom fast to catch perch. I am thinking of using a hali jig (perch colour) as a weight again with a chartreuse jig below.

Can hardly wait.

Tight lines everyone!

Sundancefisher
12-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Getting close to ice fishing perch bonking season. Actually caught a few 9-10 inch perch this year. Between thinning them out hard in the immediate area plus stocking browns and brooks to eat the little perch I am optimistic on fishing.

It is cool catching a perch followed by a rainbow followed by a brook followed by a brown.

Got to observe them under water interacting. Browns swim with some rainbows. Brooks tend to hang on their own. Rainbows stay schooled well after stocking.

Perch are freaked out by the trout. Brooks are very aggressive feeding on the bottom and are first to notice food on the surface but are slower to swim to surface. When they do they slurp. Rainbows power through food at the surface.

After stocking browns, brooks and rainbows one will need to get down to the bottom fast to catch perch. I am thinking of using a hali jig (perch colour) as a weight again with a chartreuse jig below.

Can hardly wait.

Tight lines everyone!

Stocked brook trout and brown trout in the Spring 2018. Stocked about 2000 rainbows in the Fall. We have it catch and release for trout as we monitor numbers and catch rates.

FAMILY PERCH FISHING DERBY is February 23, 2019 subject to weather. If you live in the community come on out for family, fishing, friends, fun and food. There will be trophies and prizes geared towards fishing and the outdoors. I am also likely to retain the 4 age categories for kids and one for adults.

Each resident household can invite their guest limit but must be with them the whole day.

No power augers but tents and heaters are ok.

Start planning now. Every year we get more people.

Cheers

Sun

Sundancefisher
12-31-2018, 09:39 AM
Sweet. Ice fishing is now open. Thinking of a perch bonking frenzy tomorrow Jan 1. PM me if interested in coming out.

Let me know if you want to keep all the perch you can, selectively take the biggest or take none. I have a buddy who will take any he can to feed to his dogs frozen whole.

Cheers

Sun

Moosetalker
12-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Could probably let them freeze and run em through a big grinder like a bear outfitter friend did with whole beaver refrozen would make awesome fish meal.

Sundancefisher
12-31-2018, 05:19 PM
Could probably let them freeze and run em through a big grinder like a bear outfitter friend did with whole beaver refrozen would make awesome fish meal.

They do taste good. Just at 6, 7, 8 inch they are a bit to clean.

Can't use whole perch as bear bait unfortunately. Against regs.

Caught a number today however they were very fickle. Needed a very small jig fished still 2 inches from bottom.

Hopefully with the warm weather tomorrow they will be more aggressive.

potatogun
12-31-2018, 06:04 PM
Chaparral is also infested with perch now. We have been killing hundreds dauly

1Heavyhitr
12-31-2018, 10:18 PM
Wish somebody would start illegally dumping perch into lakes around Edmonton! Anybody want to bring me a cooler or 2 full from Calgary lol I'd pay a few bucks for it! Heck, I'd even drive an hr south to meet you!

Red Bullets
12-31-2018, 10:55 PM
Wish somebody would start illegally dumping perch into lakes around Edmonton! Anybody want to bring me a cooler or 2 full from Calgary lol I'd pay a few bucks for it! Heck, I'd even drive an hr south to meet you!

Watch the local Superstore. A while ago I saw yellow perch fillets for sale in the frozen section at Superstore on 51 ave. and Calgary Trail. Only saw them once there.

Time to build a dugout at the farm and stock some European yellow perch.

Sundancefisher
01-01-2019, 08:22 AM

I know this post is in jest as illegal perch stocking is destroying fisheries all over.

There are a number of lakes around Edmonton with illegally stocked perch.

They are terrible perch fisheries due to stunting.

1Heavyhitr
01-02-2019, 11:10 PM
I know this post is in jest as illegal perch stocking is destroying fisheries all over.

There are a number of lakes around Edmonton with illegally stocked perch.

They are terrible perch fisheries due to stunting.

It was a joke. By no means am I encouraging anyone to illegally "Add" perch to any lakes. You'd think that would be common sense but I realize the problem with common sense is that it isn't so common these days.

Sundancefisher
01-11-2019, 04:22 PM
To bonk perch this weekend or not bonk perch. That is the question.

Found a perch a minute spot last Sunday. Kids and adults alike were lobbing perch all around.

Youngers were really into it.

Sundancefisher
03-15-2019, 08:42 AM
I am itching for a big perch bonking day tomorrow.

Anyone like eating perch?

dvers749
03-15-2019, 10:20 AM
I would be more than happy to take out a couple of perch with you! When are you thinking?

Sundancefisher
03-15-2019, 10:34 AM
I would be more than happy to take out a couple of perch with you! When are you thinking?

Probably lookto start fishing between 9-10 am. Fish till late if we wanted. Caught perch after work till 7 last night. Was getting nippy out after 6.

Caught 7 after I found a spot. 2 were 8 inchers. Fat females ful of eggs.
PM your phone number and we can text the plans.

Sundancefisher
03-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Likely the last weekend to ice fish on our lake. Ice is thick but melting fast.

Perch catch rates are down and trout catch rates are up.

Brandonkop
03-22-2019, 07:54 PM
I sure wish you guys could team with Alberta Fisheries since you are already doing all the work to take all those perch and dump them into say Pigeon lake or some other lake that we need to re establish a perch population. You've collected them, they just need to drive the tank truck their, load em up and drive to the lake and dump them in. I wish Alberta fisheries were more creative like most other States and Provinces. They just don't seem to have a creative bone in their bodies here.

Sundancefisher
03-22-2019, 10:11 PM
I sure wish you guys could team with Alberta Fisheries since you are already doing all the work to take all those perch and dump them into say Pigeon lake or some other lake that we need to re establish a perch population. You've collected them, they just need to drive the tank truck their, load em up and drive to the lake and dump them in. I wish Alberta fisheries were more creative like most other States and Provinces. They just don't seem to have a creative bone in their bodies here.

We can now that we tested negative for whirling disease.

Could now catch thousands of perch to stock local put and take perch fisheries.

Albertadiver
03-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Sign me up

Brandonkop
03-22-2019, 10:15 PM
We can now that we tested negative for whirling disease.

Could now catch thousands of perch to stock local put and take perch fisheries.That would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Sundancefisher
03-23-2019, 09:12 AM
That would be awesome!

I have 4 fyke nets and a large beach seine.

Fyke nets are best spring and fall and I need 6 able bodied volunteers as their is weight lifting involved. Need a transport truck with tanks.

We have caught from 500 to 4000 perch in a trap. All are catchable size.

Too bad we can’t put perch in the storm water ponds along Stoney Trail.

Heading out to catch perch.

If anyone is bored PM me. Get you out.

Drewski Canuck
03-23-2019, 09:21 AM
By the way, you're welcome on the idea of using stunted perch from urban lakes to stock other lakes.

Now lets see where the Bios could take a bunch of Perch to re establish a population.

Gull Lake, Sylvan Lake, Eagle Lake, Pigeon Lake, Wizard Lake, South Buck Lake, ....

And it would only cost the Province the wages they are paying staff anyway, and a tank of Diesel for the Truck.

Drewski

ROA
03-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Ya let’s take genetically inferior perch prone to stunting to other lakes so we can continue the Albert tradition of **** perch lakes. Ya? How bout no. Genetic quality makes a big big difference.

30 years ago some perch were taken out of a lake I know with superior genetics. They were put into 2 other lakes close by (done by FW so don’t get ****y). All 3 of those lakes continue to produce astonishing 14”+ fish to this day even with the crazy pressure. Genetics+lake fertility+management = giants.

Brandonkop
03-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Ya let’s take genetically inferior perch prone to stunting to other lakes so we can continue the Albert tradition of **** perch lakes. Ya? How bout no. Genetic quality makes a big big difference.

30 years ago some perch were taken out of a lake I know with superior genetics. They were put into 2 other lakes close by (done by FW so don’t get ****y). All 3 of those lakes continue to produce astonishing 14”+ fish to this day even with the crazy pressure. Genetics+lake fertility+management = giants.Yeah you are 100% incorrect and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You cant say a perch is prone to stunting genetically because it is stunded. Sure some may grow larger that others, but the main factor in stunting is overpopulation. Just ask Sundance Fisher when populations were low that lake grew true giant perch, I remember looking at pics green with envy. Same with Crimson lake. The fish only got small after the population expanded. The larger fish die off or are caught and you are left with a large reproducing population of stunted fish with the same genetics as the big fish that spawned them originally.

Cascade lake, arguably the best jumbo perch lake in North America right now had its perch population re established in 2004 to 2006 by stocking it with stunted perch from a lake in Oregon. Now perch are growing to 17inches and nearly three pounds.

Dont judge a perches genetic potential by its environmentally restrained size.

Then there is the whole factor of epigenetics, that's where it gets interesting.

Sundancefisher
03-23-2019, 11:23 AM
By the way, you're welcome on the idea of using stunted perch from urban lakes to stock other lakes.

Now lets see where the Bios could take a bunch of Perch to re establish a population.

Gull Lake, Sylvan Lake, Eagle Lake, Pigeon Lake, Wizard Lake, South Buck Lake, ....

And it would only cost the Province the wages they are paying staff anyway, and a tank of Diesel for the Truck.

Drewski

Been chatting for years on that every since a while back we gave perch to Bass Pro for their tanks. Before the stunting. Never gained traction however I would still be supportive. F&W never expressed serious interest. People seem to want a put and take perch fishery.

ROA
03-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Random stunted perch are not the ones you want to bucket into every lake. I was clear on factors beyond stunting. Genetics are important. Letting the big ones go is much more than the number of eggs a fish carries in its belly. Though that is what every idiot keeps repeating, “hey man it’s all about the amount of eggs” no it’s about maintaining genetics. Start with the best mich better chance to get the best. Let the best go to retain the best genetics in the lake. It works.

Sundancefisher
03-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Yeah you are 100% incorrect and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You cant say a perch is prone to stunting genetically because it is stunded. Sure some may grow larger that others, but the main factor in stunting is overpopulation. Just ask Sundance Fisher when populations were low that lake grew true giant perch, I remember looking at pics green with envy. Same with Crimson lake. The fish only got small after the population expanded. The larger fish die off or are caught and you are left with a large reproducing population of stunted fish with the same genetics as the big fish that spawned them originally.

Cascade lake, arguably the best jumbo perch lake in North America right now had its perch population re established in 2004 to 2006 by stocking it with stunted perch from a lake in Oregon. Now perch are growing to 17inches and nearly three pounds.

Dont judge a perches genetic potential by its environmentally restrained size.

Then there is the whole factor of epigenetics, that's where it gets interesting.

Yes. Agreed. Genetics are limited in a bucket stocked lake. Therefore. I Wouldn’t suggest putting in a current perch lake. I would in a put and take fishery.

Stunting is purely a factor of food availability. Take stunted perch and give them food they start to grow again.

Smoky buck
03-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Random stunted perch are not the ones you want to bucket into every lake. I was clear on factors beyond stunting. Genetics are important. Letting the big ones go is much more than the number of eggs a fish carries in its belly. Though that is what every idiot keeps repeating, “hey man it’s all about the amount of eggs” no it’s about maintaining genetics. Start with the best mich better chance to get the best. Let the best go to retain the best genetics in the lake. It works.

Without knowing the original genetics or growing fry from Sundance stock under good conditions no one knows the potential of these perch.

Test stocking in a pond with a smaller number of perch where presently does not have a fishery would not hurt. Or stalking into lakes where pike/walleye are lacking baitfish and depleted perch stocks

There is use for these perch beyond culling them it is more of a question of for what purpose to create a fishery or enhance a fishery as a food source for predatory fish

Brandonkop
03-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Random stunted perch are not the ones you want to bucket into every lake. I was clear on factors beyond stunting. Genetics are important. Letting the big ones go is much more than the number of eggs a fish carries in its belly. Though that is what every idiot keeps repeating, “hey man it’s all about the amount of eggs” no it’s about maintaining genetics. Start with the best mich better chance to get the best. Let the best go to retain the best genetics in the lake. It works.I think bucketting them into lakes that dont have a perch population that once did would be better than not stocking anything. I think we would be pleasantly surprised and I would be open to a trial test run to see what happens. If they dont grow theyll just get devoured by pike and walleye anyways.

So here is the way I look at it with what you said about releasing the big fish to maintain genetics. That 14 inch perch was once a 6 inch spawning female, 7 inch, 8 inch.... you get my point. Every generation along the way that it spawned would have the same genetics passed on as the fish does when it is 14 inch. Each year it has a bigger genetic influence because more progeny are made each year, but the genetic makeup does not change with the size of fish. So perch reach sexual maturity at 3 years of age. They have been reproducing for likely 7 to 8 generations already and are nearing the end of there lifespan.

The best arguement I've heard for releasing big fish is, " if you want to catch a 15 inch perch you have to release the 14s." Makes sense. But these are old fish and most are dieing of natural causes by the time they get that big.

Thank you for releasing big perch! It does help trophy potential of fisheries. Most people fry them though. Me included since the dawn of my time (genetic predisposition bonk for me, I'm in recovery), but I think I am being influenced to let the bigger ones go by many. So maybe we will let some big fish go this next week. Freezers full of salmon anyways.

Thanks for your thoughts I know we are all concerned and want to have great Alberta fisheries.

Sundancefisher
03-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Without knowing the original genetics or growing fry from Sundance stock under good conditions no one knows the potential of these perch.

Test stocking in a pond with a smaller number of perch where presently does not have a fishery would not hurt. Or stalking into lakes where pike/walleye are lacking baitfish and depleted perch stocks

There is use for these perch beyond culling them it is more of a question of for what purpose to create a fishery or enhance a fishery as a food source for predatory fish

Here is a Sundance perch before food became the limiting factor.

https://www.facebook.com/LakeSundance/photos/a.638582029500821/3105171332841866?type=3&sfns=mo photo is down a ways or try this

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/status/1109549566074986499?s=21

ROA
03-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Once a lake has been decimated of the large gene fish it is hard for that to come back to what it was. If you decimate it further you get an in inbred bunch of genetically inferior fish. It’s not only the growth genes either it’s the inheritance of diversity in behaviour. From spawning locations, styles and timing to feeding habits. That is where Albert is today, weak fish, runts, easy to over fish because they all act the same, hardships in spawning because they all do it the same.

So keep your inbread pond runts in the pond. Thanx

Sundancefisher
03-23-2019, 02:42 PM
Once a lake has been decimated of the large gene fish it is hard for that to come back to what it was. If you decimate it further you get an in inbred bunch of genetically inferior fish. It’s not only the growth genes either it’s the inheritance of diversity in behaviour. From spawning locations, styles and timing to feeding habits. That is where Albert is today, weak fish, runts, easy to over fish because they all act the same, hardships in spawning because they all do it the same.

So keep your inbread pond runts in the pond. Thanx

Did you see the photo of the runt from Sundance?

Also learn about perch stunting. You know not what you are talking about when it comes to these perch.

ROA
03-23-2019, 02:47 PM
It’s not just the overpopulation. It’s other things I have said. I am involved in the management of a private lake in the US at my other home. I am no idiot like you guys accuse me of. When you guys work with real bios on a real lake get back to me until then I see a bunch of ill informed Albertans that think they know it all. I gave you information from my experience you should think about it but you wont because we have the pond professional bucket brigade with all their Alberta trout welfare experience yapping non stop.

Brandonkop
03-23-2019, 02:52 PM
It’s not just the overpopulation. I am involved in the management of a private lake in the US at my other home. I am no idiot like you guys accuse me of.If your theory is correct, explain cascade? They stocked it with runts. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190323/11be6af0314f728706ce91583f8c20d1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190323/dda30bb6932c006f49dd67b6a531e5f9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190323/cd35976620884751201af3e959eaed68.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190323/d394cf6f85271ca0c77b323fc6bcc197.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190323/51a9772e63661c243c3d7ab9751a953c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190323/3f36a069597bdba136c994534b98b999.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190323/11f88470c157e85c89e63c9da4f1e490.jpg

ROA
03-23-2019, 02:55 PM
You were there ?

Sundancefisher
03-23-2019, 03:07 PM
It’s not just the overpopulation. It’s other things I have said. I am involved in the management of a private lake in the US at my other home. I am no idiot like you guys accuse me of. When you guys work with real bios on a real lake get back to me until then I see a bunch of ill informed Albertans that think they know it all. I gave you information from my experience you should think about it but you wont because we have the pond professional bucket brigade with all their Alberta trout welfare experience yapping non stop.

You make an assumption I didn’t get my university education in fisheries...worked in the field and have done extensive research.

Maybe listening is a two way street.

If you think we are supportive of moving fish around willy nilly, you are wrong.

I am not in favour of moving perch to an existing perch lake.

But a lake that winterkills and could provide a perch put and take fishery has merit.

Chow

Sun

Brandonkop
03-23-2019, 03:08 PM
You were there ? You don’t know **** about the fish put in so zip it.Wow, why so hostile? I have been there the last four years. No I was not present during stocking. In life you dont always have to be present to know what has happened. I wasn't present when they figured out anything I know and use daily at my job, but I read about it. This is all well documented. Here is one such report of stocking efforts on cascade. https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/making-perch-lake-cascade

It states 193,000 adult perch weighing 32,300 pounds were transplanted. You can do the math. Those were runts.

ROA
03-23-2019, 03:08 PM
Good keep your inbred runts in your pond then.

Smoky buck
03-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Here is a Sundance perch before food became the limiting factor.

https://www.facebook.com/LakeSundance/photos/a.638582029500821/3105171332841866?type=3&sfns=mo photo is down a ways or try this

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/status/1109549566074986499?s=21

Nothing wrong with those perch easy to expect average quality out of them. It looks like more of an issue of suitable lakes where stocking of perch would be beneficial. I know some think put and take lake but without predation odds are you run the risk of creating a stunted perch pond in the long run because how they reproduce

Issue is cooperation from fisheries or if they would be interested in a project

ROA my experience goes well beyond just being an educated fisherman on this
subject

ROA
03-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Wow, why so hostile? I have been there the last four years. No I was not present during stocking. In life you dont always have to be present to know what has happened. I wasn't present when they figured out anything I know and use daily at my job, but I read about it. This is all well documented. Here is one such report of stocking efforts on cascade. https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/making-perch-lake-cascade

It states 193,000 adult perch weighing 32,300 pounds were transplanted. You can do the math. Those were runts.

Huge diversity. Not inbred pond runts or it wouldn’t be the best lake in North America

Keep your pond runts out of the lakes.

SNAPFisher
03-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Huge diversity. Not inbred pond runts or it wouldn’t be the best lake in North America

Keep your pond runts out of the lakes.

Hey ROA, thanks for speaking up. What do you think about using those runt pond perch as prey species for predators in other lakes?

2nd, even other forage species, non-game fish, re-establishment? E.g. spot tail shiners.

Not random dumping but selective into lakes that could use a prey species bump up and have the food, forage and environment needed.

Jamie
03-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Seems some people showed up to a gun fight with just a pocket knife.

Sundance and Brandon are both extremely knowledgable. You guys get the final word.

Sundancefisher
03-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Switching topics

We have had brook trout and brown trout in the lake now for 2 years. This winter we saw a massive drop in catch rates and a distinct increase in average size. Where one once stopped catching anything over 6 inch now the average size is closer to 7 inch. Also seeing 8 inch perch more commonly with the occasional 9 inch and rare 10 inch.

Definitely seeing a shift in our perch population both in terms of numbers and size.

5 years ago when we put a camera down and spun it around you could count 200-1000 in some areas. Massive clouds of perch. Back then I could easily catch 300 perch in a day. Now when I saw a few camera shots and talked to those using camera they can see 10 and then 1-5 swimming by now and again.

Now I am not purported to have perch under control however I am hoping the brooks and browns are devestating the young of the year and with brooks and browns now to 15 inch...maybe they can eat perch as large as 3 inches.

Our browns appear to be growing long yet skinny. Putting any food towards length which hopefully means targeting longer prey.

We have also treated our lake with copper sulphate to treat for algae and maybe that has harmed the perch fry even in low concentration through direct impact or indirect through plankton (key food for young of the year perch).

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I really really want to stock tiger trout however the process is not quick to have them approved.

ROA
03-24-2019, 01:14 PM
Hey ROA, thanks for speaking up. What do you think about using those runt pond perch as prey species for predators in other lakes?

2nd, even other forage species, non-game fish, re-establishment? E.g. spot tail shiners.

Not random dumping but selective into lakes that could use a prey species bump up and have the food, forage and environment needed.

We have a pond that is full of stunted pan fish and bass we used to net and put into the lake. The inbred pond fish are easy pray and act stupidly, nature’s way of cleaning the gene pool I guess. That went on for years and back then we never got a quality fishery. In 2006 we killed the lake and started over now with the genetic strain we have put into the lake we don’t risk interbreeding the bass with the ones from the pond. The resulting hybrid bass interbreeding with our lake’s Florida strain are known as F1’s (if I remember) and do not posses the genetics to grow big. A juiced up lake is hard enough to maintain as it is so forget about putting in low caloric and lipid fish that could ruin genetics when things like trout will grow bass bigger and have no chance of hybridization with the residents.

There is millions of dollars spent and many people that have dedicated thier lives with passion to grow 200” whitetails and double digit bass. The amount of work and progress done privately would blow your mind. Check out things like the sharelunker program. There is one fish in particular that has its DNA traced back two 2 or 3 generations of fish from the program. We use DNA testing as well in our lake and have found that we need to keep introducing quality fish over the years to keep the size up.

Anyways I am done arguing with Alberta’s socialist, fish tax, trout welfare idiots.

I’ll add one more thing because I am nice. If you guys want to do something fun and cool perch are one of the easiest fish to age. A quick YouTube search for perch age will show you how. The oldest perch I have ever found was up here, a 12 year old female and was only 11.25”. Also the youngest 12” perch I have found was only 5 years old. The lakes i fish up here the perch size for age follows the shrimp population fairly closely. Have fun.

SNAPFisher
03-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Sharelunker....bass...this isn't Texas!! Have you done any work on Alberta fish such as walleye or northern pike? If you have, please elaborate. Otherwise you seen to be using the wrong species paint brush. It doesn't take a genius or bio to smell out B.S. if this is the case.

ROA
03-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Well then have fun with your disaster of a ****ty little pond. What do i know about anything. My lake is doing great by the way. Typical govt attitude. Truly am sorry for sharing information outside your little govt bubble. Guys like you will always control the narrative to be sure alberta stays on trout welfare just like you intended. Mean while the rest of the world grows and learns. Libertarian capitalism for the win.

SNAPFisher
03-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Well then have fun with your disaster of a ****ty little pond. What do i know about anything. My lake is doing great by the way. Typical govt attitude. Truly am sorry for sharing information outside your little govt bubble. Guys like you will always control the narrative to be sure alberta stays on trout welfare just like you intended. Mean while the rest of the world grows and learns. Libertarian capitalism for the win.

Control the narrative? You can't even answer a simple question. Move along troll. Go troll your "own lake" :lol: :lol:

Sundancefisher
03-24-2019, 03:28 PM
We have a pond that is full of stunted pan fish and bass we used to net and put into the lake. The inbred pond fish are easy pray and act stupidly, nature’s way of cleaning the gene pool I guess. That went on for years and back then we never got a quality fishery. In 2006 we killed the lake and started over now with the genetic strain we have put into the lake we don’t risk interbreeding the bass with the ones from the pond. The resulting hybrid bass interbreeding with our lake’s Florida strain are known as F1’s (if I remember) and do not posses the genetics to grow big. A juiced up lake is hard enough to maintain as it is so forget about putting in low caloric and lipid fish that could ruin genetics when things like trout will grow bass bigger and have no chance of hybridization with the residents.

There is millions of dollars spent and many people that have dedicated thier lives with passion to grow 200” whitetails and double digit bass. The amount of work and progress done privately would blow your mind. Check out things like the sharelunker program. There is one fish in particular that has its DNA traced back two 2 or 3 generations of fish from the program. We use DNA testing as well in our lake and have found that we need to keep introducing quality fish over the years to keep the size up.

Anyways I am done arguing with Alberta’s socialist, fish tax, trout welfare idiots.

I’ll add one more thing because I am nice. If you guys want to do something fun and cool perch are one of the easiest fish to age. A quick YouTube search for perch age will show you how. The oldest perch I have ever found was up here, a 12 year old female and was only 11.25”. Also the youngest 12” perch I have found was only 5 years old. The lakes i fish up here the perch size for age follows the shrimp population fairly closely. Have fun.

Stop insulting and stop posting on this thread. Your attempt to sound knowledgeable comparing bass and sunfish to perch is a huge stretch. Bass genetics is an entirely different topic that we are not even talking about.

Again. Move along. Not wanted on this thread.

ROA
03-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Yes we have perch. Not in Texas by the way just sharing information about probably the best place and best people to learn about fish management as a whole. Anyways, headed to one of the best walleye lakes tomorrow to meet some buds from south of the boarder. Your guys poor attitude will give us lots to laugh about.

Let’s do this again some time. Or no?

Sundancefisher
03-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Yes we have perch. Not in Texas by the way just sharing information about probably the best place and best people to learn about fish management as a whole. Anyways, headed to one of the best walleye lakes tomorrow to meet some buds from south of the boarder. Your guys poor attitude will give us lots to laugh about.

Let’s do this again some time. Or no?

Just stop insulting people and go away.

Sundancefisher
03-24-2019, 03:50 PM
Very cool day however fished yesterday and today for perch and only caught trout. All rainbows. No brookies. Can’t walk On the ice any more as the lake is closed. A few holes were opening up. Heard some people fell through at Mackenzie. Strange ice these days.

Sundancefisher
04-14-2019, 07:18 PM
Ice went off the lake today. A day of shifting wind direction and light ripples has taken the last of the ice off.

Start of the open water season!

Sundancefisher
07-01-2019, 07:22 PM
4 years back I dropped a fish camera down while ice fishing...spun it around and counted about 1000 perch. :scared0018::scared0018:

Fast forward to his past winter and tried it again. Counted 8 perch.

Now this weekend we tried to catch perch and couldn’t find a perch to save my bacon. :126fs2277341:

Went from catching hundreds a day to...I haven’t been able to catch a perch in two months! In twenty hours fishing shallow and deep. :sign0161:

Thinking about what variables have changed we have stopped netting perch. Still encouraging fishing for them. :confused0074:

Still using Reward for aquatic plant control and copper sulphate for algae control.

In 2016 I stock the lake with brook trout and brown trout.

Could them predaceous trout been that successful in controlling perch? :evilgrin:

It is a real mystery at the moment. :grouphug:

I can only hope we have beaten them down.

wildwildwest
07-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Wow, unbelievable! That is quite an achievement!
How’s the trout doing there? Growing a lot bigger?

4 years back I dropped a fish camera down while ice fishing...spun it around and counted about 1000 perch. :scared0018::scared0018:

Fast forward to his past winter and tried it again. Counted 8 perch.

Now this weekend we tried to catch perch and couldn’t find a perch to save my bacon. :126fs2277341:

Went from catching hundreds a day to...I haven’t been able to catch a perch in two months! In twenty hours fishing shallow and deep. :sign0161:

Thinking about what variables have changed we have stopped netting perch. Still encouraging fishing for them. :confused0074:

Still using Reward for aquatic plant control and copper sulphate for algae control.

In 2016 I stock the lake with brook trout and brown trout.

Could them predaceous trout been that successful in controlling perch? :evilgrin:

It is a real mystery at the moment. :grouphug:

I can only hope we have beaten them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sundancefisher
01-08-2020, 03:48 PM
Looks like the lake just opened. The holes that sometimes form in late December / early January happened again this year. I have my theories.

Now just need a light weight big tent until I can safety pull my sled tent. Or see the weather warm back up. I can have guests join me like in past years however for health reasons I will need to fish in a tent with a heater this winter unless it warms up.

Looks like there will be lots of trout biting also. Rainbows to 22 inch. Brooks and browns to 16 inch.

Looks like we have a high percentage of perch in the 8 inch range however lower catch rates. Perch catch rates impacted by reduced population and higher food availability. Just need to fish smarter. Lighter lines. Smaller hooks. The right bait. Eyeballs, maggots, mealworms. In that order.

Should be a very interesting ice fishing season.

Right lines everyone.

kbobbeck
01-08-2020, 05:57 PM
congratulations on winning back your lake from the perch
your hard work and persistence is admirable

Sundancefisher
01-08-2020, 06:11 PM
congratulations on winning back your lake from the perch
your hard work and persistence is admirable

Scared to say winning. Makes me sound crazy like Sheen. I like to be deemed crazy under my own merit and problems.

Still things are positive. It could turn the other direction again but I hope to see more brooks and browns stocked in the future and with bigger perch more out looking to eat a ton.

DiabeticKripple
01-08-2020, 09:58 PM
glad to hear you have those perch under control.

i remember coming out in 2015? and i couldnt believe the amount of perch we pulled out of the nets. buckets and buckets full.

Sundancefisher
01-09-2020, 04:22 PM
glad to hear you have those perch under control.

i remember coming out in 2015? and i couldnt believe the amount of perch we pulled out of the nets. buckets and buckets full.

The days of filling buckets with 5 inch perch is gone for a while and hopefully for ever. Now filling half a bucket with 9 infers would be a nice treat.

I’m going to try and pull my tent out maybe tomorrow and look for them perch.

SNAPFisher
01-09-2020, 06:46 PM
The days of filling buckets with 5 inch perch is gone for a while and hopefully for ever. Now filling half a bucket with 9 infers would be a nice treat.

I’m going to try and pull my tent out maybe tomorrow and look for them perch.

Good luck!

vcmm
01-09-2020, 07:13 PM

Heck my wife and I would love to catch them. She would be the best fisher person of us two. My health slows me down.

Sundancefisher
01-09-2020, 08:35 PM
Heck my wife and I would love to catch them. She would be the best fisher person of us two. My health slows me down.

Happily take folks out. Problem is we would need a tent until I feel better or the weather warms

rena0040
01-10-2020, 03:18 PM
Was out today, got 2 nice rainbow and 8 perch 7-9 inches. I need a more sensitive rod and quicker reflexes for those perch. Missed a ton of bites.
Was in 22 ft of water. I found it odd the rainbows were cruising around 1-6 ft under the ice.

I will gladly take out anyone who wants to teach me how to catch perch. Only 3 rules: no smoking, no drinking and kill every perch you catch. We can have a pint at OJs afterwards. I have a 6 man tent and heater.

Sundancefisher
01-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Was out today, got 2 nice rainbow and 8 perch 7-9 inches. I need a more sensitive rod and quicker reflexes for those perch. Missed a ton of bites.
Was in 22 ft of water. I found it odd the rainbows were cruising around 1-6 ft under the ice.

I will gladly take out anyone who wants to teach me how to catch perch. Only 3 rules: no smoking, no drinking and kill every perch you catch. We can have a pint at OJs afterwards. I have a 6 man tent and heater.

Ok. Will see you out there tomorrow!

rena0040
01-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately kids have me running to arenas all weekend, next time I can get out is Wednesday morning.

Sundancefisher
01-10-2020, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately kids have me running to arenas all weekend, next time I can get out is Wednesday morning.

That should work also. Gives me a chance to grab my gear and work the kinks out.

Scottmisfits
01-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Sundance, now that I have time, and you are feeling better, I would love to take you up on your previous offer to me and my son. I do have a tent but it’s small, just no heater yet.

Sundancefisher
01-11-2020, 06:41 PM
Sundance, now that I have time, and you are feeling better, I would love to take you up on your previous offer to me and my son. I do have a tent but it’s small, just no heater yet.

Pretty cold this week without a heater. Let’s figure getting out when it gets warmer.

Was out today and the perch are fewer. On camera we saw 1-5 today versus hundreds in the past.

Perch were 7-9 inch and fat enough to make some nice fillets. Great to see them larger.

Because there are fewer they are harder to catch. Saw them being more fickle and slower to bite. Likely due to fewer numbers and more natural food availability. Competition to the bait does help with a more furious bite.

Trout swimming around scare the perch off for a minute.

In the end we caught over 50 between three of us

Scottmisfits
01-11-2020, 06:44 PM
Still a couple of weeks away for sure. I’m not brave enough for this cold either.....
Is the cold affecting the movement of the fish at all maybe?

Sundancefisher
01-11-2020, 08:25 PM
Still a couple of weeks away for sure. I’m not brave enough for this cold either.....
Is the cold affecting the movement of the fish at all maybe?

I haven’t noticed cold being a factor this time of year. Snow cover, light, time of day, barometric pressure change maybe.

Sundancefisher
01-12-2020, 08:36 PM
Went out today for an hour to see how the body works pulling the sled. Brought my heater but no extra bottle. As luck would have it. The bottle ran out in a millisecond. However I toughed it out for an hour and the catch rate was 10 perch/hour. Perch were 7.5 to 9 inch.

Good spot. Now to get more propane.

Sundancefisher
01-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Was it ever cold today out in a tent on the lake. Unbelievably cold.

Amazing watching perch on camera swim up to the hook and nibble the bait without grabbing the hook.

Me thinks we need to downsize our hooks here soon. Also thinking 4 lb test may be needed.

Perch are fewer and they are either smarter or just more picky what they will bite.

AK47
01-16-2020, 05:56 PM

I will take your offer but needs to be one of the warmer Sundays as I do not fish in tent. As a former two time champion of Sundance perch fishing derby I think I can show you a few things about how to catch them :sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
01-17-2020, 10:09 AM
I will take your offer but needs to be one of the warmer Sundays as I do not fish in tent. As a former two time champion of Sundance perch fishing derby I think I can show you a few things about how to catch them :sHa_shakeshout:

I think your light line and tiny tungsten hooks with a maggot is what is needed right now. They are bigger and more fickle for sure.

goku88
01-17-2020, 01:51 PM
I use to fish lake eden near Edmonton during the early 80s for of us in a dingy cheap fishing rod with worms drop line 8feet. in 2 hours catch 100 perch. I missed those days. had access to lake sundance 10 years ago for a client bill on 103 sunset way. awesome people the trout fishing was great. perch was plentiful but small. if any resident would like company on lake sundance please let me know. I am a sport fisherman. clean and polite

Sundancefisher
01-18-2020, 11:14 AM
I’m thinking 10 perch/hour may be the winning number for our derby Feb 29. Well down from 50+ /hour in the past.

Caught 10 yesterday in an hour. Sizes were

1 - 6.5 in
7 - 7-8 inch
2 - 9 inch

All fatter. Getting way more meat off them compared to the skinny 5 inchers of yesteryear

Sundancefisher
01-18-2020, 11:15 AM
I use to fish lake eden near Edmonton during the early 80s for of us in a dingy cheap fishing rod with worms drop line 8feet. in 2 hours catch 100 perch. I missed those days. had access to lake sundance 10 years ago for a client bill on 103 sunset way. awesome people the trout fishing was great. perch was plentiful but small. if any resident would like company on lake sundance please let me know. I am a sport fisherman. clean and polite

Been lucky. Of all the folks I have had come out only one was sketchy. The rest were all clean and polite. Some brought snacks...and most importantly all took a pile of perch home to eat.

goku88
01-18-2020, 01:18 PM
Been lucky. Of all the folks I have had come out only one was sketchy. The rest were all clean and polite. Some brought snacks...and most importantly all took a pile of perch home to eat.

thats cool. i hate it when fisherman leaves garbage everywhere, especially when there is on at the parking lot. just wondering have you caught any browns there yet

Sundancefisher
01-18-2020, 01:28 PM
thats cool. i hate it when fisherman leaves garbage everywhere, especially when there is on at the parking lot. just wondering have you caught any browns there yet

I stocked the browns in 2016. They were 5-7 inchers. This fall the biggest I caught was 16 inch. Average is probably around 12 inch. Some seem to have very large heads and skinny bodies. Hoping they are growing their chompers faster to target small perch. Once they get going...over 20 year lifespan I am hoping someday we will have 10-20 pounders. They are catch and release.

Haven’t caught one ice fishing yet.

Sundancefisher
01-19-2020, 10:38 AM
Finally back to warmer weather fishing! Saw rainbows chasing my perch jig down yesterday.

Sundancefisher
01-19-2020, 07:05 PM
Higher catch rates today at times. Ended up with 40 perch from 1-4 with a few lulls in activity.

Buddy likely caught 100. His buddy 40.

Lots of people trying however need to finesse them in. Small hooks, bait and slow presentation. :sHa_shakeshout:

goku88
01-19-2020, 07:37 PM
Higher catch rates today at times. Ended up with 40 perch from 1-4 with a few lulls in activity.

Buddy likely caught 100. His buddy 40.

Lots of people trying however need to finesse them in. Small hooks, bait and slow presentation. :sHa_shakeshout:

one of the kids from lake midnapore wanted to learn to fish today so we caught 5 rainbows and 45 perch unfortunately all between 4 to 6 inches they are happy. are your fish any bigger. try to up load pictures. fail

Sundancefisher
01-19-2020, 11:05 PM
one of the kids from lake midnapore wanted to learn to fish today so we caught 5 rainbows and 45 perch unfortunately all between 4 to 6 inches they are happy. are your fish any bigger. try to up load pictures. fail

All the ones I caught ranged from 7.5 inch to 9.5 inch.

sneekerp
01-20-2020, 05:13 PM
All the ones I caught ranged from 7.5 inch to 9.5 inch.We were out today and caught a pile of perch. After an accurate measurement they all ranged between 6 and 8.25 inches. Including a tagged 8 incher. I sure haven't seen an average of 7.5 to 9.5. [emoji848]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/723b7e7fd4c5e1a26d22f3f39fa6625b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/d9380c0ad45aa73ce89c4918df8ecfa4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/11152cdd4c89e4aa571fab5b76232f76.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Sundancefisher
01-20-2020, 05:48 PM
We were out today and caught a pile of perch. After an accurate measurement they all ranged between 6 and 8.25 inches. Including a tagged 8 incher. I sure haven't seen an average of 7.5 to 9.5. [emoji848]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/723b7e7fd4c5e1a26d22f3f39fa6625b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/d9380c0ad45aa73ce89c4918df8ecfa4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/11152cdd4c89e4aa571fab5b76232f76.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Keep your tag for a draw prize at the perch fishing derby.

I just got in. Caught a massive pile of perch from 6 to 9.5 inches measure with a tape. The majority were 8 inches or bigger.

A crazy pile of perch. I think I ended up with over 100. Most caught in the NE bay side of the center path.

You can see my tracks. First holes did okay. Further holes hit the jackpot.

goku88
01-20-2020, 10:27 PM
if there is a derby and you need a sidekick give me a shout

Sundancefisher
01-21-2020, 09:52 AM
if there is a derby and you need a sidekick give me a shout

Will do. Each household is allowed two guests. Just need to see who the kids want to bring. Otherwise when can you fish. Happy to get you into a bucket of perch to eat.

Saw online perch goes for $25/lb filleted with skin on. Buddy cleaned almost 5 lbs yesterday.

goku88
01-21-2020, 02:28 PM
i am on ei at the moment so lots of time huan 4037080188

Just4hugh
01-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I'd be interested in helping out in the derby. If anyone is willing to take me on.

Thanks!

Sundancefisher
01-22-2020, 06:05 PM
Hi,

I'd be interested in helping out in the derby. If anyone is willing to take me on.

Thanks!

Will get you out some time soon. My guest spots are full for the derby with kids friends.

Today’s fishing was more challenging. Needed to drill a bunch of holes to find some willing perch. Still finished the day off with 6 perch of which 4 were 8 inch and 2 were 9 inch.

I say they look like monsters compare to the past 5 inches days.

Just4hugh
01-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Will get you out some time soon. My guest spots are full for the derby with kids friends.

Today’s fishing was more challenging. Needed to drill a bunch of holes to find some willing perch. Still finished the day off with 6 perch of which 4 were 8 inch and 2 were 9 inch.

I say they look like monsters compare to the past 5 inches days.Looking forward to it.

goku88
01-22-2020, 08:03 PM

I say they look like monsters compare to the past 5 inches days.
Sundance I think it has to do with nice weather no fish or not as eager bites. but if we just had that cold snap a warm trend coming they bite at anything. happy to hear your doing so much fishing. I thought I'm the only guy smiling alot when fishing

Sundancefisher
01-25-2020, 07:51 PM
Crazy day.

Sunny and warm.

Perch were hardly biting. Not sure what was up...

Few days ago. Caught a hundred. Today. 20.

Sundancefisher
02-17-2020, 02:40 PM
Funny how the fishing success does vary from day to day. One day trout won’t stay off the hook. Next day perch bite like crazy. Then next day...neither bite well.

Yesterday the perch were biting one after another. Maggots seemed to be the ticket versus normally perch eyeballs work the best.

goku88
02-17-2020, 06:40 PM
was at princess auto today picked up 2 ultra light Celcius blizzard rod for $11 each perfect for those perch your picking off. feels nice should be fun to tryout. little perch cant laugh at my medium action rod anymore

Sundancefisher
02-17-2020, 06:46 PM
was at princess auto today picked up 2 ultra light Celcius blizzard rod for $11 each perfect for those perch your picking off. feels nice should be fun to tryout. little perch cant laugh at my medium action rod anymore

You need the ultralight spring bobbers like what is on the end of a frabill pan fish popper rod combo.

Even an ultralight rod won’t pick up 70% of perch bites.

Just4hugh
02-17-2020, 08:33 PM
You need the ultralight spring bobbers like what is on the end of a frabill pan fish popper rod combo.

Even an ultralight rod won’t pick up 70% of perch bites.I can attest to that.

goku88
02-17-2020, 11:57 PM
sounds like sundancer is saying competition time. the guy who catches least amount of perch has to go buy hot chocolate at timmys plus who catch first fish gets a bonus donut

Sundancefisher
02-18-2020, 11:36 AM
sounds like sundancer is saying competition time. the guy who catches least amount of perch has to go buy hot chocolate at timmys plus who catch first fish gets a bonus donut

I love it. Competition is fun.

rena0040
02-18-2020, 02:55 PM
Today was definitely a trout bite day. At times I couldn't even get my hook to the bottom to even try for perch, when I did get down there they really didn't want to move more than a couple inches up.
I attached a couple pics, average size for perch was 8-8.5 inches and trout 18-20 inches.
A great fishery to have a few blocks from home.

Sundancefisher
02-18-2020, 07:42 PM
Today was definitely a trout bite day. At times I couldn't even get my hook to the bottom to even try for perch, when I did get down there they really didn't want to move more than a couple inches up.
I attached a couple pics, average size for perch was 8-8.5 inches and trout 18-20 inches.

Nice fish. Since you are out fishing a lot also, can you please pass on to others that the trout survive best if not out of the water for more than 30 seconds. My rule of thumb is I take a breath and if I need to breathe, so do the trout. While they swim away, often they die from anoxia.

I saw a couple guys a few weeks ago pull their trout out of the hole onto the ice (freezing cold air freezes gills and can also cause death), then look for a camera. Get set up, hold up said trout and drop a couple times, snap a couple pics and then drop head first down the hole. Trout was out of the water for over two minutes and will surely die.

Education is key to keeping the trout fishing catch rates healthy. The more we all help each other the better.

My biggest problem is fishing small hooks and light line and catching perch then hook a big rainbow. Gotta hand line them so carefully once near the hole.

goku88
02-19-2020, 03:26 AM

Nice fish dude. Agree with you guys camera should be ready. Less handling is better

goku88
02-19-2020, 09:27 AM

When do you want this competition let me know. Huan 4037080188:fighting0074:

goku88
02-19-2020, 11:25 PM

sundancer are there any big rainbows left in there or did people take them all. i remember landing a 27 incher out of there hope she is still terrorizing the perch:shark:

marlin1
02-21-2020, 10:37 AM
sundancer are there any big rainbows left in there or did people take them all. i remember landing a 27 incher out of there hope she is still terrorizing the perch:shark:

yes . I landed a few yesterday . lost more as I was light lining for perch

fish99
02-21-2020, 11:13 AM

sounds like a good trip.

goku88
02-21-2020, 02:50 PM

that's awesome. showmanship light line are best never know one wrong it's gone. any pictures

marlin1
03-05-2020, 05:21 PM
I have pics but a pain for me here . Was out again today . A lot slower but iced and released one decent trout between us . 7 perch 1 decent full of eggs

fish99
03-05-2020, 05:30 PM
I have pics but a pain for me here . Was out again today . A lot slower but iced and released one decent trout between us . 7 perch 1 decent full of eggs

sounds like a good supper was caught

goku88
03-07-2020, 06:59 PM

what bait or lures are you guy using? heard you cant use minnows. what about worm is that classified as live bait? shrimp catch perch. really need someone to show me how its done

Sundancefisher
03-16-2020, 12:57 PM
Wonder when tigers will become available

walking buffalo
03-16-2020, 08:36 PM
Wonder when tigers will become available

Right now.
You just need a bucket. ;)

Sundancefisher
04-28-2020, 10:35 AM
Lake ice is gone as of today. Pretty late. Now just need the parks and recreation facilities to be allowed to open. Till then all community access gates are closed on all lake communities.

Sundancefisher
08-25-2020, 10:29 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEVawnzgAyk/?igshid=1hl3h96erc0qf

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEVawnzgAyk/?igshid=hvbs27wrwl1n

Update on Sundance lake.

We have schools of smaller perch in the shallows this year. I see the smallest 1 inchers being new young of the year.

Then we have a fair number 2 year olds and lesser three year olds.

On the top end we are seeing NG far more 8,9 and 10 inch perch with some 11’s. Lost one today likely 12 inch

We have brown trout (9-12 inchers) being stocked this Fall to target the 1-3 year old perch.

Filling a bucket in 3-4 hours was not difficult.

Spudnut
08-26-2020, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the update. Pretty envious about your steady supply!

Ruger.308
08-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Update on Sundance lake.

Were you out on the lake or fishing from shore? Nice haul

Sundancefisher
10-11-2020, 11:26 PM
As we near the wrap up so open water 2020 perch fishing at Sundance we have seen some Horrible day early on, unable to find any. I think fishing from shore I caught like six only all season.

Lots of trout seem to have scared the perch from the shallows until the water warmed. Then there were some but not a lot near shore. It seemed casting to shore and reeling back out seemed to pick up some big ones, and by big ones the topper wa 12 inches long.

Come August and September and into October the perch were found off shore and in moderate numbers. We have had a good day filling 4 kitty litter buckets of large 8-12 inch perch. A bucket is worth about 2.2 lb of bonesless fillets.

Slow presentations on bottom with the standard hooks and eyeballs, maggots and mealworms working.

Perch are better fed and as such are less aggressive biting...sometimes, patience is now needed. Increase skill also needed.

Hoping to run some how to catch perch sessions this winter.

Given the big perch...I am hoping for a bigger interest in catching them to aid fisheries management.

Browns, brooks and rainbows as well as large perch should be eating smaller perch, lake Chub and fathead minnows.

I know if I am lucky enough to be physically able...I will be chasing perch.

We are proud of the community efforts to make Sundance the be recreational sport fishing lake in Calgary.

AK47
10-13-2020, 01:11 PM
Glad to hear some nice size perch are back!

Spudnut
10-14-2020, 08:57 AM
If you are having some open days this winter we will be in. Great job getting the popuation under control.

Sundancefisher
10-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Glad to hear some nice size perch are back!

If you are having some open days this winter we will be in. Great job getting the popuation under control.

I would love to be a genius and know everything we did has helped to mitigate the problem. I think time will have to be the judge of success. We know the perch population was out of control prior to 2016 stocking of brooks and browns. We know perch populations have crashed since. I noticed lots of small perch and minnows around the lake this summer. Haven’t seen lake chub populations this high in a long time. At the same time Midnapore is a good comparison as they didn’t do what we have done and their perch population is still high and stunted.

Was out the other day with badback and filled a bucket quick. Pretty much every one between 8 and 11 inch.

If you can find a school to ice fish over and have the right hook and bait and the trout don’t scare them away there should be some fabulous perch fishing this winter.

I have a few things on the go but if I can get out ice fishing I will certainly keep a list of who I should message to come join me.

Picked up that great deal on an ice fishing tent on amazon.

I predict a number of 12 inch perch will be caught this winter.

Just hope the 9-12 brown trout target the small perch in a big way this winter.

Jack&7
10-30-2020, 09:05 PM
Hey Kevin!

It has been a long time since I was on this forum...but I am back. I am definitely looking for a bucket of perch as fertilizer for my garden boxes next spring.

But I also wouldn't be against getting a few bigger ones for a feed. Please put me on your call list when the time comes. I will PM you my phone number as well.

Take care,
Dean

mtnhunter
10-30-2020, 09:24 PM
I would also be interested in learning how to target perch. Please add me to your list for a day out this winter sometime. Thanks!

Sundancefisher
10-30-2020, 10:00 PM
Hey Kevin!

It has been a long time since I was on this forum...but I am back. I am definitely looking for a bucket of perch as fertilizer for my garden boxes next spring.

But I also wouldn't be against getting a few bigger ones for a feed. Please put me on your call list when the time comes. I will PM you my phone number as well.

Take care,
Dean

Great. Sent you a PM

Sundancefisher
10-30-2020, 10:01 PM
I would also be interested in learning how to target perch. Please add me to your list for a day out this winter sometime. Thanks!

drop me a PM with your cell number. It will prob be closer to Jan when the lake opens

Sundancefisher
10-30-2020, 10:16 PM
Hey Kevin!

Take care,
Dean

If we hit it right we can get you 4 buckets of 8-12 inch perch. Tons of big ones these days and we need to catch them all

Sundancefisher
10-31-2020, 01:42 PM
Are there any other AOF members that live in Sundance and is interested in bringing in guests? I was thinking I could provide an old Sundance fishing trophy and we can have a catching competition. The more the merrier.

I actually find more people fishing close by can increase angling success. Can turn the perch on to biting.

Here is a link to help perch fishing success.. http://www.lakesundance.org/uploads/6/1/2/7/6127370/how_to_successfully_catch_yellow_perch_article_upd ate_may_2019.pdf

I am hoping to see more 12 inch perch this winter.

The best hooks are hard to find in the colours I like.

Alternatively I have been tying flies for perch. What works great is a balanced hook and use a chartreuse and a fluorescent orange tungsten bead and use chartreuse thread and either flouro orange or chartreuse rabbit fur for a tail. I have some flouro or orange silly legs for added movement.

Spudnut
11-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Kevin,

I hope you are able to get this going. Sounds like a great time and a fantastic opportunity. My son and I would be in if you can find people to let us in. My son has never actually caught a perch so that would be fantastic if it was possible. Also, thanks for sharing the link.

goku88
11-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Are there any other AOF members that live in Sundance and is interested in bringing in guests? I was thinking I could provide an old Sundance fishing trophy and we can have a catching competition. The more the merrier.

I actually find more people fishing close by can increase angling success. Can turn the perch on to biting.

Here is a link to help perch fishing success.. http://www.lakesundance.org/uploads/6/1/2/7/6127370/how_to_successfully_catch_yellow_perch_article_upd ate_may_2019.pdf

I am hoping to see more 12 inch perch this winter.

The best hooks are hard to find in the colours I like.

Alternatively I have been tying flies for perch. What works great is a balanced hook and use a chartreuse and a fluorescent orange tungsten bead and use chartreuse thread and either flouro orange or chartreuse rabbit fur for a tail. I have some flouro or orange silly legs for added movement.im in too.plus curious how your fly looks, how much to buy a couple as i also like rockies and trout

Sundancefisher
11-10-2020, 04:55 PM
Kevin,

I hope you are able to get this going. Sounds like a great time and a fantastic opportunity. My son and I would be in if you can find people to let us in. My son has never actually caught a perch so that would be fantastic if it was possible. Also, thanks for sharing the link.

I will add ya to the list. PM name and phone number.

Cheers

Sundancefisher
11-10-2020, 04:58 PM
im in too.plus curious how your fly looks, how much to buy a couple as i also like rockies and trout

Really easy to tie.

Get waxed thread in chartreuse, hot orange and hot yellow.

Get same colour rabbit fur.

Get hot orange and chartreuse tungsten beads.

Get size 8 jig hooks.

Add one of each colour bead.
Tie in your thread
Tie in your rabbit fur tail.

Tie off and cement or epoxy.

For added movement add thin silly legs.

Sundancefisher
11-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Lake is now partially ice covered.

Sundancefisher
11-24-2020, 10:24 AM
Only 3 inches of ice so still looking like after Christmas sometime for the lake to open for a perch bonking bonanza.

Sundancefisher
11-30-2020, 04:18 PM
4-5 inches now. Thickening up but still a ways to go. Warm weather this week won’t help.

Sundancefisher
12-29-2020, 01:01 PM
Hi fellow perch bonkers

We are still waiting for the lake to open. Once it does I will post. I’m getting lots of PM’s on the status. I will post once it does open.

There are thousands of 8-10 inch perch looking to find their forever fridge and frypan homes.

jegermiester
12-29-2020, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the update Sundancefisher, I'm looking forward to helping you accomplish this mission!!

Sundancefisher
12-29-2020, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the update Sundancefisher, I'm looking forward to helping you accomplish this mission!!

and I am looking forward to you catching a ton!

Get your small hooks ready.

I have been tying some small perch flies that work great. The small tungsten jigs in chartreuse, bright orange and/or yellow work great.

Daslogster
01-02-2021, 04:29 PM
Is there a group that regularly fishes in the winter? I just lost my local resident who I fished with when they moved away after their kids got a bit older. Good to hear the numbers are down but size is up...

Sundancefisher
01-03-2021, 12:25 PM
Is there a group that regularly fishes in the winter? I just lost my local resident who I fished with when they moved away after their kids got a bit older. Good to hear the numbers are down but size is up...

I’m sure someone can get you out slaying perch once the lake is open.

Sundancefisher
01-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Lake is still closed to allow some lake star holes to heal over.

Sundancefisher
01-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Spending some time tying some perch flies.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErT1S1zU0AA8yWq?format=jpg&name=large

Surfnturf
01-11-2021, 08:53 PM
I keep fielding posts and questions on Lake Sundance. There are also other members on the forum from the community.

Lake Facts:

There are 9 man made lake communities with sport fishing options. Bonavista, Bonaventure, Arbour, Chaparral, Sundance, Midnapore, McKenzie, Auburn, Heritage.

Lake Sundance was constructed in 1980 and consists of a 33 acre (13.2 hectare) man made lake and a 22 acre (8.9 hectare) park.

As the lake is manmade there is no inlet or outlet stream with no chance of emigration or immigration of fishes.

The lake has become more eutrophic over the years with an increase in nutrients coming from both man made fertilizers from lawn run off and a
lso birds such as Canada Geese.

There is open water fishing for about 7-8 months (April –November) of the year and ice fishing for approximately 2 months (January –Feb) of the year.

Ice came off the lake on April 30, 2009 and April 7, 2010, April 23, 2013, April 24, 2014, March 31, 2015, March 28, 2016, April 20, 2017.

Lake froze over November 19, 2010, November 16, 2011, November 15, 2012, November 14, 2014, and November 26, 2016

Lake Sundance has an average depth of about 22 feet or 6.7 meters and has no natural inflow or outflow or natural springs.

Water levels are controlled and topped off yearly if required using a water well drilled in 2011 or city water. Prior to that, water was only purchased from the City of Calgary.

Summer activities on the lake include boating, swimming and fishing. Winter activities include skating, fishing and cross country skiing.

Off lake activities include skating and tobogganing in the winter and beach activities, playground activities, tennis, basketball, road hockey and picnics in the summer.

The volume of water in this lake would be approximately 800,000 m3 to 830,000 m3 depending upon the water level and time of year.

Currently we have rainbow trout as well as brown trout, brook trout and grass carp which are all currently catch and release.

There are illegally introduced yellow perch in the lake which have stunted due to over population. As these perch out compete our stocked trout for natural food we strongly encourage everyone to catch as many as possible. All caught perch must be killed. Brown trout and brook trout will eat small perch whereas rainbow trout will not. Grass carp feed on the aquatic plants
in the lake.

Community Facts:

Lake Sundance falls within the Sundance Lake Community boundary sandwiched on the west by MacLeod Trail and the east by Fish Creek Provincial Park. The north boundary is Midnapore community and the south is highway 22 X.

Lake Sundance sits at an elevation of 3411 ft above sea level and the coordinates at the center of the lake is approximately 50o 54 ‘ 05.74” N by 114o 02’ 2.30” W (Google Earth, 2007).

Residents can bring up to guests in to fish at a time. I and others have brought in many guests over the years. Fun times sitting on the ice bonking perch and casting in the summer for trout. Many times I personally just head out to fish...way better than watching fishing on TV. If interested...PM a local resident.

I and others will post fishing updates here as to what is happen fish wise. What is biting. What they are biting on. Hopefully other residents will also chime in with their updates.

Cheers

Sun

I know this is old but perch is one of my favorite fish to eat. How can I get hooked up (pun intended) to get fishing there ? Is ice fishing allowed?

Thanks!

smith88
01-14-2021, 05:00 PM
So Sundance are you going to be stocking some Tigers when they are available?

Sundancefisher
01-21-2021, 09:48 PM
So Sundance are you going to be stocking some Tigers when they are available?

Yes. They would be good perch predators. Better than brookies I’m thinking.

Cool to have rainbows, brooks, browns and tigers...ya and perch unfortunately also.

Lake opens tomorrow for ice fishing. Got to see what the Covid rules will add to the mix.

Sundancefisher
01-24-2021, 09:52 AM
Very strange. Friday I was catching lots of big perch. Saturday there was a swarm of two year old small perch. Couldn’t keep them off the hook. Must of caught over a 100. Ratio was about one big one for every 10 small ones.

What the heck? Not good seeing so many small perch. Didn’t see any small ones during the summer fishing. Even saw a couple 3 inchers caught that must be 1 year olds.

Guess we need to really hammer these smaller perch and hope the new browns eat this Springs hatch.

Still...can’t beat the action. A zillion bites constantly. Now to find a school of big ones or try and clean out an area of small ones.

Drives home the point...never move perch around. They are insidious outside of their native lake ecosystem.

Frank_NK28
01-24-2021, 11:01 AM
Splake are big time perch eaters. Many trout lakes where I lived in Ontario that had developed a perch problem the MNR started stocking splake. Splake live longer than pure brookies and browns and will grow quickly to 5+ pounds. Consuming 5"-6" perch is not a problem for them. They may be an option worth looking into as well?

smith88
01-24-2021, 01:38 PM
Yes. They would be good perch predators. Better than brookies I’m thinking.

Cool to have rainbows, brooks, browns and tigers...ya and perch unfortunately also.

Lake opens tomorrow for ice fishing. Got to see what the Covid rules will add to the mix.

I caught a 14inch stocker Brookie that I had to keep (gill bleed) that had two 3 inch minnows and a bunch of fresh water shrimp in its belly. Going to have to change up what sort of lure I use next time I'm fishing there.

Sundancefisher
01-24-2021, 07:05 PM
I caught a 14inch stocker Brookie that I had to keep (gill bleed) that had two 3 inch minnows and a bunch of fresh water shrimp in its belly. Going to have to change up what sort of lure I use next time I'm fishing there.

You thinking of another lake? Sundance in Calgary is catch and release for brooks and browns.

Fishing today was different. Same spot but today we had to catch and release over 30 rainbows and 5 browns before catching perch. We then ended up with over 100 perch averaging 8 inch.

Yesterday it was almost no trout and tons of small perch.

I wonder if the trout scare the smaller perch away and once the trout have been stung the perch can get to the hook first.

Anyways...strange day.

smith88
01-24-2021, 07:42 PM
You thinking of another lake? Sundance in Calgary is catch and release for brooks and browns.

Fishing today was different. Same spot but today we had to catch and release over 30 rainbows and 5 browns before catching perch. We then ended up with over 100 perch averaging 8 inch.

Yesterday it was almost no trout and tons of small perch.

I wonder if the trout scare the smaller perch away and once the trout have been stung the perch can get to the hook first.

Anyways...strange day.

I'm just talking about stocked brook trout in general.

AK47
01-24-2021, 08:32 PM
Biggest perch I caught from Saturday had three tiny perch in the stomach. Maybe we need to stock big perch:)))))).

Sundancefisher
01-24-2021, 09:30 PM
I'm just talking about stocked brook trout in general.

Ahh. Gotcha. They are good eating. I’ve had lots from Elbow Lake over the years.

Sundancefisher
01-24-2021, 09:31 PM
Biggest perch I caught from Saturday had three tiny perch in the stomach. Maybe we need to stock big perch:)))))).

How big? 3 incher perch?

AK47
01-25-2021, 10:49 AM
How big? 3 incher perch?

Nope, more like 2 inchers.

Bubba2u
01-25-2021, 11:47 AM
I’ve heard that you can get invited out onto this lake if you know someone, what’s the best way to get out there? Would love to catch my first perch and meet some new people while respecting social distancing!

Sundancefisher
01-25-2021, 05:48 PM
Nope, more like 2 inchers.

I caught a bunch of big ones today and they had 2-3 inch perch in them also.

Caught very few 5 inchers. Most were 8-9 inch. Tons of trout yesterday. Just a few rainbows and a brown today. Another trifecta day.

Sundancefisher
01-26-2021, 10:19 AM
I’m getting as many people from PM’s out fishing as possible however I am wondering if there is anyone in Calgary who would come and get a bag of perch when the anglers don’t want them. Had a bag of biggies yesterday and texted one fella and he was here in minutes.

Maybe some of our AOF community would love fresh perch to eat and can’t get out on their own. People share venison so why not perch.

If interested PM me your cell number for perch texts and generally how many would you take...any size requests will be tough as all perch will be in a bag...you deal with what you want or don’t want. Let me know any timing restrictions for when you are around for pick up and how long it would take to get to Sundance. I prefer nothing in return. You making good use of the perch is thanks enough. I don’t want good fish wasted in a compost bin.

Daslogster
01-29-2021, 08:53 PM
I would be happy to take perch and work in Calgary M-F

rena0040
01-31-2021, 05:17 PM
Perch bite was hot today on tungsten jigs with shrimp. Got my first perch double.

The trout also showed up to ruin the perching for a bit. They are looking very good. 8 inch hole as comparison.

Beautiful day.

spert
01-31-2021, 09:40 PM
Sir, I would greatly appreciate any fresh Perch anyone is willing to give up. I’d also appreciate an invite out to fish there, is the lake invite only? I live in Montreux, but would LOVE to take my kids out there for some Perch action!

I’m getting as many people from PM’s out fishing as possible however I am wondering if there is anyone in Calgary who would come and get a bag of perch when the anglers don’t want them. Had a bag of biggies yesterday and texted one fella and he was here in minutes.

Maybe some of our AOF community would love fresh perch to eat and can’t get out on their own. People share venison so why not perch.

If interested PM me your cell number for perch texts and generally how many would you take...any size requests will be tough as all perch will be in a bag...you deal with what you want or don’t want. Let me know any timing restrictions for when you are around for pick up and how long it would take to get to Sundance. I prefer nothing in return. You making good use of the perch is thanks enough. I don’t want good fish wasted in a compost bin.

marlin1
02-01-2021, 07:34 PM

nice offer I believe I met you on the ice today . I was fishing with my brother who lives there and a buddy . Most of our perch were small . Will get a meal anyways .

Sundancefisher
02-01-2021, 09:39 PM
nice offer I believe I met you on the ice today . I was fishing with my brother who lives there and a buddy . Most of our perch were small . Will get a meal anyways .

It’s was nice chatting. You guys were catching some. I started slaying at about 2-4 today.

Spudnut
02-02-2021, 08:22 AM
Hey Kevin, thanks for the offer. I would take some perch to have a feed and can get there quickly as I am in the south. I texted you our number previously. Cheers.

rena0040
02-02-2021, 09:05 AM
getting people out this year will be tough for me. I'm working weekdays and guests not allowed on weekends really limits things.
As the days get longer though I may be able to get out for some evening perching.

Add me to the list of anyone wanting perch. i will freeze them whole and fresh for those who want to eat them and those who want coyote or bear bait i will let them freeze outside in buckets.

Sundancefisher
02-03-2021, 09:46 PM
Hey Kevin, thanks for the offer. I would take some perch to have a feed and can get there quickly as I am in the south. I texted you our number previously. Cheers.

Sounds good. Haven’t had any extra yet. Need a warm day to slay from morning to night and fill a bunch of buckets.

Sundancefisher
02-27-2021, 07:47 PM
Hoping tomorrow will see a strong perch bite at the lake. Anyone else going?

I can bring two people in and went to my PM list again. So far no one has responded back.

Today was a strong rainbow bite with a few browns. After catching the trout the perch bite picked up. Was one large perch for every five today.

Spudnut
02-27-2021, 11:25 PM
Kevin,

My son and I would be happy to come out tomorrow, if you still have an opening. I will check messages in the morning. I should be in your PM list.

Sundancefisher
02-28-2021, 10:44 PM
Kevin,

My son and I would be happy to come out tomorrow, if you still have an opening. I will check messages in the morning. I should be in your PM list.

Great meeting you both. It was an interesting day on the ice full of small perch...a few bigger ones and a little water behind the ears.

Sundancefisher
03-01-2021, 04:19 PM
Kevin,

Big ones were biting fast and furious today. I only fished 1.5 hours.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Evbh-DhUUAEsjkh?format=jpg&name=large

the local angler
03-01-2021, 04:36 PM
nice catch guys, i wish i was there too but i am minus a vehicle at the moment. soon i hope.

Sundancefisher
03-01-2021, 04:48 PM
nice catch guys, i wish i was there too but i am minus a vehicle at the moment. soon i hope.

Warm weather is going to cut ice fishing short maybe this March.

Sundancefisher
04-15-2021, 07:09 PM
Ice blew off Sundance today.

rena0040
05-28-2021, 08:46 PM
Perch bite was hot today. Smallest was 6 3/4" biggest 8 1/2" and all came out pouring spooge
all over my kayak.

Sundancefisher
05-29-2021, 10:04 AM
Perch bite was hot today. Smallest was 6 3/4" biggest 8 1/2" and all came out pouring spooge
all over my kayak.

Great job!

I had fantastic fishing until the beginning of May. Perch were all Over the shallows.

Sundancefisher
07-29-2021, 08:13 PM
Anyone have a belly boat and want to catch some perch?

LeeAB
07-30-2021, 05:17 PM
Hey it's Lee Murray, I fished with you a couple of times on Lake Sundance about 10 years ago and up at Running Rain Lake with Jim Stelfox.

I'm on holidays for the next month and have a belly boat, also have a son and wife that have taken up fly fishing and have belly boats and pontoons.

Wouldn't mind bonking some perch, send me a PM.

Lee

Sundancefisher
07-30-2021, 06:08 PM
Hey it's Lee Murray, I fished with you a couple of times on Lake Sundance about 10 years ago and up at Running Rain Lake with Jim Stelfox.

I'm on holidays for the next month and have a belly boat, also have a son and wife that have taken up fly fishing and have belly boats and pontoons.

Wouldn't mind bonking some perch, send me a PM.

Lee

Trout bite has slowed down a ton. Perch bite is hot right now. Casting light line, small jigs, perch eyeballs and slaying them. Also fishing right below the boat.

So ya. Buddy and I just floated the other day with a marmish rod and slayed em. Just using a life jacket and floating livewell is a blast. A float tube works also. Having an anchor helps.

My messages are cleared up so pm me and we can find a time. Don’t need waders In the tube as the water is 73 Fahrenheit

LeeAB
08-08-2021, 08:55 PM
Spent an afternoon last week with Sundance, good guy and good fishing.
If you want to know what 120+ perch look like in the cooler and then filleted and ready to eat, click on the thumbnails.
Highly recommend taking advantage of an invitation to bonk some perch.

Sundancefisher
08-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Spent an afternoon last week with Sundance, good guy and good fishing.
If you want to know what 120+ perch look like in the cooler and then filleted and ready to eat, click on the thumbnails.
Highly recommend taking advantage of an invitation to bonk some perch.

It was a blast. Once we found a school of biggies we filled the buckets fast.

Yumm. Perch tacos.

Sundancefisher
08-10-2021, 05:57 PM
I have a hunkerin to chase more perch.

Sundancefisher
11-18-2021, 10:19 PM
Midnapore and Chaparral were iced over yesterday.

Sundance is about half iced over. Should be fully frozen in the next two days I expect unless we get some serious winds.

We have about a half inch along shore.

Looking forward to getting some folks out for some great perch fishing.

I recommend getting one of these rods.

https://www.amazon.ca/Frabill-Panfish-Popper-24-Inch-Fishing/dp/B00L1YGUXU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Frabill+panfish+popper&qid=1637298211&sr=8-1

A marmish rod with this works also

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=/MARMISH-INC-/ULTRA-SENSITIVE-BITE-INDICATORS/&se=29474

These are good perch hooks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322879148245?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110 01%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D201609081050 57%26meid%3D1d1ee999a1284efea35ed1f79baf3ff0%26pid %3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D384477078338% 26itm%3D322879148245%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D23 80057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A8aa81a5a-48f6-11ec-b499-9a696cdd1e0f%7Cparentrq%3A3697530a17d0a49d85fe2e7f ffffad6a%7Ciid%3A1

Need 4 lb test for perch. 6 pound if you are not good at fighting big trout up a hole on light line.

Ice won’t open till it’s safe. Likely after Christmas.

A good long cold snap with no snow could change it.

Sundancefisher
11-19-2021, 11:13 AM
Midnapore and Chaparral were iced over yesterday.

Sundance is about half iced over. Should be fully frozen in the next two days I expect unless we get some serious winds.

We have about a half inch along shore.

Looking forward to getting some folks out for some great perch fishing.

I recommend getting one of these rods.

https://www.amazon.ca/Frabill-Panfish-Popper-24-Inch-Fishing/dp/B00L1YGUXU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Frabill+panfish+popper&qid=1637298211&sr=8-1

A marmish rod with this works also

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=/MARMISH-INC-/ULTRA-SENSITIVE-BITE-INDICATORS/&se=29474

These are good perch hooks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322879148245?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110 01%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D201609081050 57%26meid%3D1d1ee999a1284efea35ed1f79baf3ff0%26pid %3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D384477078338% 26itm%3D322879148245%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D23 80057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A8aa81a5a-48f6-11ec-b499-9a696cdd1e0f%7Cparentrq%3A3697530a17d0a49d85fe2e7f ffffad6a%7Ciid%3A1

Need 4 lb test for perch. 6 pound if you are not good at fighting big trout up a hole on light line.

Ice won’t open till it’s safe. Likely after Christmas.

A good long cold snap with no snow could change it.

I’ve had a bunch of PMs about coming perch fishing.

Firstly… lake still closed. I will post when it opens. We have an active safety program because the lake is heavily used. It’s a private lake with rules https://www.lakesundance.org/General-Rules/fishing. Perch is unlimited retention. Taking home 200 is not unusual. Expectations based upon the last 12 months is catching perch from 3-12 inch and averaging 7-9 inch. Boneless filleting and perch taco dinners seem the most popular.

Secondly… the answer to what I prefer for hear to be most successful is noted in this post. Ultralight rods and light line is critical for perch. Bites are so light that even a sensitive spring may not see a bite. While a bobber can work…if cold then bobber freezes into the ice. We’ve seen the perch bite and chew the hook on camera and the spring tip not even move. So to maximize your catch… you have to have a spring tip either built into the rod or an after market add on or a do it yourself epoxy job. I’ve seen some people make a loop in 80 or 100 lb test mono and epoxy it to the end of the rod and some coloured epoxy on the end to see the loop.

Thirdly… bait for me is catch a perch with a fly… then use eyeballs all day. A little sliver of perch skin works as well. Alternatively using maggots to catch the perch then use maggots and/or eyeballs.

Fourthly.. I’ve lost count of how many people I’ve brought out fishing. People always ask what they should bring me. I just need some nice company and smiling anglers. As past folks know… I love seeing kids catching perch. That all said…. I have yet to turn down donuts (sprinkle and choc dip) and Timbits and venison pepperoni and jerky lol. But ya. Don’t feel guilty if you bring nothing. I don’t drink coffee.

Fifthly… fishing can be last minute planned and if I’m going I can take a few guests. When I announce the lake is open, send me a PM with when you can fish and your cell number for texting. If someone needs to plan a visit in advance we can address it. If it is super cold… getting out is tougher. If you have a propane heater and six man tent… it becomes easier.

Sixthly… what to bring. Appropriate gear. I’ve literally had someone come ice fishing with 2 full sized Hali rods complete with 80lb braid. Hence the recommended gear. I’ve had a few broken rods from guests and they didn’t offer to replace them. I’ve had someone come dressed in sneakers and a light winter jacket when I had a parka and -100 boots and balaclava. If you have a tent that works. Propane heater is ok. Hand or electric augers only allowed. Only one rod fishing per person. A tip up isn’t useful for perch. I release all trout. Trout can’t be kept out of the water as cold can damage gills. I won’t stop someone from a quick trout photo. Bring hooks that work and a few if you are not good at hand lining large trout. We have rainbows to 24 inch, browns to 30 inch, brooks to 18 inch and perch to 12 inch. You will know immediately if it’s not a perch. If you have little kids I recommend the standard snacks and drinks and a few rewards like a toy for catching a fish if they are very young. Skates and toboggan with helmet is great to break up fishing. Kids that are forced to fish and are bored… will be turned off.

Lastly. There are washrooms nearby. No business allowed on the ice. I’ve had someone drop trousers and urinate facing the lake homes. While somewhat funny… I swim in the lake so ya. Not allowed. Also there is no smoking or vaping allowed in the park including on the ice. Take all garbage home.

Sundancefisher
11-20-2021, 12:14 PM
I found this data to be interesting.

Ice came off the lake on: April 30, 2009, April 7, 2010, April 23, 2013, April 24, 2014, March 31, 2015, March 28, 2016, April 20, 2017, May 1, 2018, April 19, 2019, April 28, 2020

The lake froze over on: November 19, 2010, November 16, 2011, November 15, 2012, November 14, 2014, November 26, 2016, November 7, 2017, November 19, 2018, November 9, 2020, November 20, 2021

highwood
11-20-2021, 01:14 PM
I found this data to be interesting.

Ice came off the lake on: April 30, 2009, April 7, 2010, April 23, 2013, April 24, 2014, March 31, 2015, March 28, 2016, April 20, 2017, May 1, 2018, April 19, 2019, April 28, 2020

The lake froze over on: November 19, 2010, November 16, 2011, November 15, 2012, November 14, 2014, November 26, 2016, November 7, 2017, November 19, 2018, November 9, 2020, November 20, 2021What about it is interesting

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Sundancefisher
11-20-2021, 07:19 PM
What about it is interesting

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Guess.