PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish and cameras

Talking moose
01-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Anyone use them for whites or is it a no no? Have never seen a white on the camera. Are they soooked of it?

lakerman
01-22-2018, 05:26 PM
saw the elusive ghosts at wab. on the weekend, of course cruising by or swooping in to get dead minnows that fell off the hook

pikeman06
01-22-2018, 06:58 PM
I just use it to verify that they are around then pull it out and trust that they are down there and fish em the way I always do. I used to record lots with my old aqua view with the big bright perch shaped camera and I swear it almost decoyed the perch, Jacks and wallies in but the whites were another story. I use mine in a two man tent so it's always 4ft away from my hook and the whites avoided the camera and the wireworm obviously. That's gull though and they were "educated" if you will. It's that big eye close to the mouth that makes for all those last minute refusals. I think they can see very well. Personal opinion of course.

SamSteele
01-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Might want to set the camera to point down and set it 4-6’ higher than the lure depth. I’ve done that before when I come across camera shy fish. It seems to help a bit.

Talking moose
01-22-2018, 09:38 PM
Might want to set the camera to point down and set it 4-6’ higher than the lure depth. I’ve done that before when I come across camera shy fish. It seems to help a bit.

Thx. I was thinking of fishing shallow with the camera right near the bottom of the ice.