PDA

View Full Version : Lowe Boats

saskman
05-20-2009, 04:06 AM
I am looking for a new boat and have been reading up on Lowe boats. Does anyone have one or know much about them? I have located quite a few out in Ontario but I am not sure of any dealers in Alberta and if there are any long running problems with them. Any info would be appreciated. It will be my first boat and I just want to make sure I don't buy a lemon. Thanks

bsnyder
05-20-2009, 07:56 AM
True, a good boat is a lot of money and you want quality . I had a fellow tournament fisher use a Lowe last year and it seemed to handle it OK.I bieleve it came from Gibbins moter sports? and his name is Mel.If you want the best go to Lund.HAHA :lol:good luck:wave:

Topwater
05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
True, a good boat is a lot of money and you want quality . I had a fellow tournament fisher use a Lowe last year and it seemed to handle it OK.I bieleve it came from Gibbins moter sports? and his name is Mel.If you want the best go to Lund.HAHA :lol:good luck:wave:

I wasn't there but heard from a good source that Mel's Lowe boat met its demise on Slave last year and he will be back in a Harbercraft this year. A dealer in G.P, used to sell Lowe but dropped them because they were too hard to deal with.

bsnyder
05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I wasn't there but heard from a good source that Mel's Lowe boat met its demise on Slave last year and he will be back in a Harbercraft this year. A dealer in G.P, used to sell Lowe but dropped them because they were too hard to deal with.

WOW , I didnt know that:rolleye2:,I sure wouldnt want to be in Slave in an inferior boat.Bet Mel was MAD,HAHA:lol:Harbercraft is a tough boat, not real pretty but very seaworthy.Still like my LUND:D

saskman
05-20-2009, 04:22 PM
The info about the boat on Slave Lake is kind of scary since I live in Cold Lake and this lake can get really hairy when the wind picks up. Thanks for the info!

riderpride55
05-20-2009, 05:46 PM
go with the harbercraft

Rainbow_boats
05-21-2009, 01:01 AM
On bigger bodies of water, the most important consideration is the hull design, and how much abuse it may be able to take. Cheaper boats are simply cheaper boats, not built to handle the water as well, let alone when it gets ugly.

Most people make the common mistake...

"Boat A: has a elec. trolling motor, Fish finder, nice casting surfaces, a livewell, and very comfortable seats...
Boat B: has the same features but is $3,000.00 more money.

I'm going to by Boat A."

Its a fishing boat, it is expected to have allot of storage, a large livewell, and the EXPECTED FISHING AMMENITIES...

IMPORTANT TO ASK.... Boat B: Why is it more expensive.
-What truely DISTINGUISHES CHEAPER BOATS FROM THE MORE EXPENSIVE BOATS, is the build quality and the hull design.

---How is the hull constructed,
-how close are the rivets together.
-how close are the welds together, and how do the welds look along the seams.
-If it is welded, is the aluminum interlocked or riveted just off the edges of the weld to re-inforce in any fashion, the seams to prevent stress cracking.
-Are all the main seams, double riveted, or show consistent welds.
----these points can equated to a longer lasting seam/boat, although is obviously reflected in a higher cost.

In the end on a lake like cold lake, it can get ugly (very ugly).

REMEMBER ITS A FISHING BOAT, IT IS EXPECTED TO HAVE THE FISHING AMMENITIES. The more important considerations are:

1) I have 4 weeks of holidays, of which I want to boat. Can the boat handle rough enough water conditions to make full or better use out of my product. Or should I bring firewood, if the forecast is bad.

2) Is the boat built to handle the abuse it might take on rough water.

3) IDEAL FOR COLD LAKE, as that lake can turn ugly real fast. Can the boat navigate brutal water conditions, wereby I can safely return to shore (if passengers are feeling unsafe).

Thanks,

Mark
Rainbow

bsnyder
05-21-2009, 08:25 AM
On bigger bodies of water, the most important consideration is the hull design, and how much abuse it may be able to take. Cheaper boats are simply cheaper boats, not built to handle the water as well, let alone when it gets ugly.

Most people make the common mistake...

"Boat A: has a elec. trolling motor, Fish finder, nice casting surfaces, a livewell, and very comfortable seats...
Boat B: has the same features but is $3,000.00 more money.

I'm going to by Boat A."

Its a fishing boat, it is expected to have allot of storage, a large livewell, and the EXPECTED FISHING AMMENITIES...

IMPORTANT TO ASK.... Boat B: Why is it more expensive.
-What truely DISTINGUISHES CHEAPER BOATS FROM THE MORE EXPENSIVE BOATS, is the build quality and the hull design.

---How is the hull constructed,
-how close are the rivets together.
-how close are the welds together, and how do the welds look along the seams.
-If it is welded, is the aluminum interlocked or riveted just off the edges of the weld to re-inforce in any fashion, the seams to prevent stress cracking.
-Are all the main seams, double riveted, or show consistent welds.
----these points can equated to a longer lasting seam/boat, although is obviously reflected in a higher cost.

In the end on a lake like cold lake, it can get ugly (very ugly).

REMEMBER ITS A FISHING BOAT, IT IS EXPECTED TO HAVE THE FISHING AMMENITIES. The more important considerations are:

1) I have 4 weeks of holidays, of which I want to boat. Can the boat handle rough enough water conditions to make full or better use out of my product. Or should I bring firewood, if the forecast is bad.

2) Is the boat built to handle the abuse it might take on rough water.

3) IDEAL FOR COLD LAKE, as that lake can turn ugly real fast. Can the boat navigate brutal water conditions, wereby I can safely return to shore (if passengers are feeling unsafe).

Thanks,

Mark
Rainbow

AMEN, well said:wave:

Tredeb
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM
My buddy has a Lowe and it seems that the max HP rating is quite low. His boat is about the same size as an Alumacraft Trophy 175 or a Lund Tyee 1750 yet his is only rated for 115 while the Lund and Alumacraft are 150.

I feel his boat could use the extra power as it is very "prop fussy" with his 115 merc 4stk. My brother in law has a lund 1750 classic w/ a 90 4stk and I would say it outperforms the Lowe.

floppychicken
05-21-2009, 09:41 PM
...is a 1986 16' LOWE 'Lunker V'. The boat is built like nothing I have seen. It's very deep and built of 10ga. aluminum (2 PLY Bow) with BIG heavy rivets set close together and 4 belly ribs, along with a massively re-enforced keel. The middle bench has been split and custom fitted with a starboard side ZEBEC console. All the floors are 1/2" treated wood w/ carpet. Flooring sits on 2.5" aluminum angle and flat Bar which is re-enforced from front to back.

It handles the rough water 'beautifully' and I have no worries about going out when the water is rough. I only have a 40hp Magnum on the back, but I can do 30 mph with two of us and all our gear. She comes outta' the hole nice and quick and is on plane at 14mph.

Not as fancy as most, but I love my Old LOWE !!

Cheers,

/FC...

mooseslayer
05-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Go with the Lund. I did and and I have no regrets. Seeing as how I will be fishing in your boat when you buy one, I want to make sure I get home safe and sound. Lund all the way!!!!!!

bsnyder
05-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Go with the Lund. I did and and I have no regrets. Seeing as how I will be fishing in your boat when you buy one, I want to make sure I get home safe and sound. Lund all the way!!!!!!

I AGREE:wave:

Mistagin
05-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I'll just toss another one in the mix :lol: ----- PRINCECRAFT!

fishincrazy
05-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I looked at all of the boats out there, studied the spec.s, considered info on dealer service reputation, talked to boat owners, looked at options etc, etc. I bought a Lund. When I got it home I had a good look at the fit and finish, top notch. I had a couple of warranty issues( boat is 1 year old) they got fixed by Rainbow Marine no questions asked. I had two small places in the travel tarp that the stitcthing was missed they got me a brand new cover no cost. I have had the boat out twice now and it performs fantastic in the rough water. Remember the old saying "that you get what you pay for" is very true today. I was at Pinehusrt Lake May long and there was a heck of a lot of Lunds on the water.