PDA

View Full Version : Coat hanger fishing

coyoteman
01-26-2018, 04:10 PM
An old italian showed me how to catch white fishing in the snareing,and athabasca river in jasper park.Cut about a 5 inch piece of ordinary coat hanger bend it in a sharp V attach the end of your cast from a spin rod.about 4-5ft up make about a one ft dropper,to the end of which you attack #8-10 royal coachman.Cast upstream and let it "belly"down,These rivers have a very heavy rock flower content,as the fly comes slowly thru the murk they suck it in.Hooked a 10 lb plus bull trout on one occasion in the snareing,that was quite a fight,as i usually hook and release its a good idea to crush the barb.

The Spank
01-26-2018, 05:13 PM
Got a picture of this set up?

bessiedog
01-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Yup.....

Learned that from guys in Jasper years ago.... it was late aug and the boys were casting for spawners....

Worked well for whites... very very well.

Those fellows were the best! Helped rig up me and my wife... we caught lots.

singleshotom
01-26-2018, 05:36 PM
Spent a lot of time in that area. I was taught to is a piece of speedomitor cable folded in the middle. If it gets stuck between the rocks just pull hard an it being flexible would bend together an slide out from between the rocks...... was a old railroader method in the 70’s an was dam productive........
good old memories ......
Sst

Sundancefisher
01-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Did this on the Athabasca and caught lots of whitefish. Now they have been so fished out the number are way down. Back then I was bored catching so many and saw fish slurping flies along an eddy line and grabbed my fly rod. Turned out to be hundreds of grayling. Spent a few days having 100 grayling days.

Fun old days.

Hopefully they ban maggots in all flowing waters.

Moo Snukkle
01-26-2018, 05:57 PM
I’ve done well with this setup fishing parts of the Berland. I target whites in the summer and trout in the fall.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Yup--- speedometer cable is the way I do it.

Bushleague
01-26-2018, 07:40 PM
I've seen this setup before and wondered what the benefit of the "V" shape is. Personally I use a nail or a dropshot, seems like the V would get hung up more. Correct me if I'm wrong.

coyoteman
01-26-2018, 09:46 PM
I've seen this setup before and wondered what the benefit of the "V" shape is. Personally I use a nail or a dropshot, seems like the V would get hung up more. Correct me if I'm wrong.

actually ,the coat hanger hangs up less,seems to "flex"beween the rocks---give er a try when opportuniatey presents,have a piece of 6 lb blood knotted to a 10lb then all you lose is a piece of coat hanger.

rasta
01-27-2018, 07:04 AM
Used this method on the elk 20 yrs ago caught Bulls Cutts and crackers lol goood times