PDA

View Full Version : Size for a weasal cubby box size?

2506 rem
12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Today i went out back behind my place on alford creek to see if their was any beaver, muskrat, or mink sign i found a set of weasal tracks. I know the main way of trapping them is to use chubby box with a #1 longspring, but i dont know how big to make the box. And since im only 15 and new to trapping i figured a weasal would be a little better trophy then the squirells.

Rob
12-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey 25,

Build yourself a box long enough to hold a Victor Rat Trap. Make sure the box is tall enough to let the trap snap. Make a small opening in the front (1 1/2" hole is plenty) and you're good to go. Victor Rat Traps are cheap and work excellent for ermine.

You could also build a cubby set with just sticks and/or spruce boughs. A little ingenuity will go a long ways when trapping these guys. Just about anything that will hold a trap will work.

If you insist on using a longspring trap make sure it is set to kill the weasel, not catch it by the leg - which is illegal here.

Here is a link that may help.

www.trapperman.com/trapperman/The_Weasel_Box_Set.html (http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/The_Weasel_Box_Set.html)

bullgetter
01-08-2007, 11:23 AM
We're using Victor rat traps inside old antifreeze jugs with some weasel scent behind the trigger. Time will tell how they work.