PDA

View Full Version : 2009 stocking reports

brook trout
05-20-2009, 05:25 PM
hey every body. went on to 2009 stocking report and beaumont pond didnt show up. did it get stocked, or did anybody see it get stocked.

EarthDaddy
05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Yup it got stocked a couple weeks ago with 21 inch rainbow. :lol:. Just kidding about the 21 inchers, but it did get stocked honest

Sartorius
05-20-2009, 11:00 PM
The stocking list probably just hasn't been updated yet.

The Anvil
05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Here is link to the latest update on the 2009 Alberta Stocking reports
updated on May 19th, 2009

http://www.mywildalberta.com/documents/2009Stocking.pdf (http://www.mywildalberta.com/documents/2009Stocking.pdf)

The Anvil
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Just out of curiosity dose anyone know what the different Genotypes mean on the stocking reports? Example 2N vs 3N?
Cheers!

Wood1
05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Just out of curiosity dose anyone know what the different Genotypes mean on the stocking reports? Example 2N vs 3N?
Cheers!

2N is diploid, 3N is triploid (sterile)

brook trout
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
i know a triploid is a fish that dosent spawn but what is a diploid?

Sundancefisher
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM

Don't be such a diploid.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Papershredder
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM

A fish that is fun to party with; but you don't want to bring home to Mom.:lol::lol:

nicemustang
05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Brook Trout has problems using the search featuer....www.google.com

The Anvil
05-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Diploid

Definition

noun

(Science: genetics, cell biology)

A cell or an organism consisting of two sets of chromosomes: usually, one set from the mother and another set from the father. In a diploid state the haploid number is doubled, thus, this condition is also known as 2n.

Trip·loid (trploid)
adj.
Having three times the haploid number of chromosomes in the cell nucleus: triploid somatic cells.
n.
A triploid organism or cell. 3n

LOL,

So just to be 100% sure,
Triploid are sterile and therefore can not reproduce.
Now to my understanding, which I am still confused on and yes I have searched google, Diploid fish can reproduce right?

Bear
05-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Yes diploid can reproduce. All animals in nature are diploid. For example women are XX and men are XY chromosomes.

Wood1
05-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Diploid

Definition

noun

(Science: genetics, cell biology)

A cell or an organism consisting of two sets of chromosomes: usually, one set from the mother and another set from the father. In a diploid state the haploid number is doubled, thus, this condition is also known as 2n.

Trip·loid (trploid)
adj.
Having three times the haploid number of chromosomes in the cell nucleus: triploid somatic cells.
n.
A triploid organism or cell. 3n

LOL,

So just to be 100% sure,
Triploid are sterile and therefore can not reproduce.
Now to my understanding, which I am still confused on and yes I have searched google, Diploid fish can reproduce right?

Yes, diploids are normal fish capable of egg development. Triploids are achieved by exerting pressure to the eggs and or application of heat. Our diploid rainbows in stocked lakes go through the egg production cycle and since they do not spawn, they re-absorb the eggs and do not expell them.

The benefit of triploids is that they spend more time growing. They do not actually grow faster, but have the advantage of not spending energy/time during spawn in producing eggs and the issues with re-absorbtion.

Studies have shown that triploids cannot tolerate as warm of water as diploids due to the larger surface area of their blood cells.

The Anvil
05-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Great info,

I appreciate the extra re-education. Always a good idea to keep the brain working.

Fishmaster
05-22-2009, 06:56 PM
it does not say morinville res or the fish and game pond have been stock or cardiff but i hear cardiff has been