PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Bonnyville/Cold Lake region- (new guy)

Ken07AOVette
05-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Some old guy from here has finally pulled my ear long enough about how awesome fly fishing is, and now that he says I am proficient at throwing a line on the grass by his mansion, I am looking to go lose some flies. Does anyone know of a good lake, dirt road and very little use where we could have some fun, maybe even eat a fish or 17? He is totally into catch and release, I like to sustain on what I sustenance hunt for.

Any hints would be great, PM is fine if it is some wonderful hidden spot that you don't want everyone on the planet to know about, or PM me and I will give you my email address.

I am also looking for a rod/reel, basic supplies.

Now for teh funny- I have been fishing since 1971, have never caught a walleye. 27,000,000 pike, lots of perch, couple hand fulls of trout, etc, but no pickeral. :D

So- if you have some extra equipment that you want to sell, that did NOT come from Wal-mart or Canadian tire, and know of a spot, I have cash or paypal, and am not afraid to use it. I have been known to buy the odd wobbly pop for a good tip too.

Thanks in advance.

Ken07AOVette
05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Are there no good lakes around Bonnyville?
Did I offend everyone because I want to actually eat a fish?
Do I have to spend a grand on fly fishing equipment before anyone answers?

I have a map, know all the spinning lure lakes, but would like to try the flies.

surhuntsalot
05-25-2009, 06:03 PM
If you want to Fly Fish for trout, your options around here might be a bit limmited. Little Bear lake along the Primrose Hwy is one bet, I just got a tip that the Medley River further north up the Hwy will be stocked soon as well. If you really want to have a fight, you can tie a clouser minnow pattern, or bucktail on and get pike in the shallows of French Bay on Cold Lake... PM me if you want more datails...

Good Luck

spudislander
05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I second the advise about Little Bear, I've also heard about the Medley and that some of the Beaver Ponds hold bigger bows. I'm going to head out for Pike sometime next week. It'll be my first time chasing them with the fly rod.