PDA

View Full Version : Aspen 2 Pre-mixed 2-stroke Alkylate petrol 50:1 for Ice Augers

Jawjacker
01-29-2018, 08:43 PM
I have been tossing around and researching what is the best 2 cycle oil fuel formulation for my Eskimo augers . Some say Amsoil , some say Opti-2 , others have various brand suggestions of oil/gas mixtures . I figured Id get it from the source. I call three certified Eskimo repair facilities. I ask their suggestion on the best gas/oil formulation. The answer I got from all three was Aspen2. Aspen2 is ninety three Octane , ethanol free and additive free with a shelf life of an opened bottle to be 5 years . They deem this stuff as racing fuel for Augers. I have to say my auger starts on the first pull and runs sooo nice compared to before. What a difference from the conventional 2 cycle oil and gas mixtures . Here is an explanation of the mix:

Aspen Alkylate petrol is a Swedish manufactured fuel that has been around since 1988 where it has become an essential product in the Swedish handheld machinery market. Anglo American Oil Company began distributing Aspen around 8 years ago, and more recently, with people starting to take notice of their health and the products, it is starting to become a staple fuel for many professional and personal small engined machinery owners and users here in the UK.
Aspen is available as Aspen 2 - a 2-stroke pre-mixed high performance ethanol free alkylate fuel and as Aspen 4 - a 4-stroke alkylate fuel and we are pleased to announce the launch of the NEW Aspen 2 with Full Range Technology™ - one fuel, for all brands that is blended at 50:1. It is already proven that Aspen Alkylate fuel is great for our machines and health, so this new development is even better news for users!
Aspen 2 was introduced in 1988 and since then manufacturers, Aspen Petroleum AB, have supplied more than 300 million litres, to more than 20 countries, to customers who appreciate engines that are easier to start, run better and are more reliable and at the same time emit dramatically less toxic emissions. Aspen 2 was the original and the world's best-selling ready-mixed alkylate petrol, but Aspen Petroleum AB took the original formula and, after years of testing, enhanced it for the better!
Full Range Technology™ is the greatest innovation for the company since Aspen 2. With all the benefits of the original Aspen 2 and more besides, it is suitable for all air- and water-cooled engines that run on a 50:1 oil-petrol mixture. The new Aspen 2 with Full Range Technology™ has been developed for new engine technology that meet increasingly strict emissions standards, but is also just as good for older engines.
Aspen 2 with Full Range Technology™ protects engines better; from machines with high combustion temperatures, to those running at a lower temperature, such as hedge cutters, and every engine in-between so they call it a 'One for all'.
One fuel for all brands and a whole range of machines

Full Range Technology™ makes both new and older engines run better. Reliability is improved and the need for servicing outside recommended service schedules are reduced. Engine acceleration is better and all internals of the engine will be even cleaner. But how do we know this? Well, it took years to develop this product, with feedback gathered from 10 million litres used in over 10,000 machines for over a thousand days; so it has proven its worth. We are confident that Aspen 2 FRT is by far the best and cleanest 2-stroke fuel on the market today.
Full Range Technology™ reduces carbon and soot build-up in the combustion chamber and exhaust port by 22% at high engine temperatures and 11% at low temperatures. Machines are easier to start and engine acceleration is improved by up to 6% thanks to the new oil formulation. Furthermore oil leakage decreases and the air filter stays clean for longer. Aspen 2 FRT is free of ash and double-bonded hydrocarbons (solvents) which result in extremely clean combustion chambers at the same time as optimising lubrication and achieving maximum performance. Machines that combine 2-stroke and 4-stroke technology will also benefit from the extremely clean burning Aspen 2 Full Range Technology™.
The oil in Aspen 2 Full Range Technology™ has been selected and developed for the future. It is completely synthetic with as much as 60% renewable content, is biodegradable (over 80% degraded within 28 days) and free from both ash and solvents. The oil burns completely leaving virtually no carbon deposits in exhaust ports or combustion chambers and has optimum lubrication characteristics at all engine temperatures. Aspen 2 FRT also reduces toxic hydrocarbon emissions by 99% compared to normal pump fuels when used in 2-stroke machinery.
The main difference is that the extremely low build up of carbon in the current Aspen 2 will be even less in Aspen 2 FRT and that the 2-stroke oil's lubricating properties have been improved at lower combustion temperatures, resulting in a true 'One For All' fuel for 2-stroke engines.

https://i.imgur.com/LEugO8h.jpg

Ken H
01-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Where do you purchase this fuel.

wellsite
01-29-2018, 08:55 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. Any idea if it's avaiblr in Calgary?

Hartly
01-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Lawnmore hospital in Edmonton

Jaymann
01-29-2018, 09:21 PM
Cabelas on the northside of edmonton sells it.

Jawjacker
01-29-2018, 09:58 PM
Cabelas on the northside of edmonton sells it.
I was there I couldn't find it. They probably ran out of stock when I was there.

calgarygringo
01-29-2018, 11:02 PM
Another good oil/fuel alternative that is out there.
Just don't spill any or borrow to your friends as this stuff is priced like gold. 45 bucks or so per 5l jug. At almost 5 times the price of my 5l of premium gas and Opti per gallon I think I will keep using what I have for the last 15 or 20 years.

Hartly
01-30-2018, 06:44 AM
Another good oil/fuel alternative that is out there.
Just don't spill any or borrow to your friends as this stuff is priced like gold. 45 bucks or so per 5l jug. At almost 5 times the price of my 5l of premium gas and Opti per gallon I think I will keep using what I have for the last 15 or 20 years.

The price for a 5 litre jug is $35.98 . The price online showing at the Lawnmore Hospital is incorrect . Yes it's expensive but not that bad when you figure it has a opened shelf life of five years and will not gum up the carb or eat away any of the lines and how much fuel an auger really uses per season. The opti self mix is definitely less money but a person is at the mercy of what ever the fuel portion has for additives. Who knows when at the pump how much previously pumped fuel is still in the hose and what kind. At the end of the day all methods work with varying costs.

Tikka300
01-30-2018, 08:10 AM
I will run some of this through my auger on my last day of fishing and then store the auger with a bit of the Aspen 2 in the fuel tank. Since its really shelf stable I will start my auger once a month in the off season just to keep everything moving. For the ice fishing season its a jug of premium fuel and amsoil sabre.

JohninAB
01-30-2018, 08:24 AM
I use the 50:1 TruFuel from CT in my auger, chainsaw and weed whacker. I go thru about 4 cans a year. Cost is a non-issue at $8.99 a can.

Sledin
01-30-2018, 08:47 AM
This looks like an ad to me, is Jawjacker a legitimate forum member?
(I'm new, I couldn't see his post count).

On the weekend my buddy said he tried the stuff and switched back to mix, that is a real world review to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blgoodbrand1
01-30-2018, 09:08 AM
I run Costco premium( always fill my truck first to clear the hose) and amsoil Sabre @ about 70/1 in all my 2 stroke riggin. Use about 5 gallons a year

Hartly
01-30-2018, 01:13 PM

On the weekend my buddy said he tried the stuff and switched back to mix, that is a real world review to me.

Sledin ; I fish with Jawjacker. He is a good guy . Loves to fish and help others out . His post is not an advertisement. When he finds out useful info he like to share.

ghostguy6
01-30-2018, 02:02 PM
I ran that stuff my first year with a new Eskimo z51, the carb seals crapped out and had to replace it. The Ardisam customer service rep told me using any other fuel than their mixture voids the warranty. Since using their mix I haven't had any problems. I do however mix a little Seafoam in for long term storage.

calgarygringo
01-30-2018, 03:35 PM
It can add up quick even at that price. I know we are talking augers but I run my Stihl backpack blower on it too cleaning my snow. Just filled 4th jug this past weekend for the winter. About 40 bucks total for that vs 150 ish for this stuff. Huge difference.

The price for a 5 litre jug is $35.98 . The price online showing at the Lawnmore Hospital is incorrect . Yes it's expensive but not that bad when you figure it has a opened shelf life of five years and will not gum up the carb or eat away any of the lines and how much fuel an auger really uses per season. The opti self mix is definitely less money but a person is at the mercy of what ever the fuel portion has for additives. Who knows when at the pump how much previously pumped fuel is still in the hose and what kind. At the end of the day all methods work with varying costs.

nube
01-30-2018, 03:47 PM
We use this fuel in all our chainsaws and tools for the Fire Dept...... we rely on our tools to work when we need them. Must be a reason why they chose this type of fuel and it has been working well from what I see and hear.

makin tracks
01-30-2018, 06:07 PM
yup, not there money, good old tax payers

with too many hands on equipment adjusting the mix

calgarygringo
01-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Sure: Nobody can mix it wrong and screw up equipment. I bet someone sold them on the health advantages etc. on this stuff I could see a stupid buyer crawling all over it. You know somethings up when it is our taxpayers money and they are paying 3 to 4 times the cost.

We use this fuel in all our chainsaws and tools for the Fire Dept...... we rely on our tools to work when we need them. Must be a reason why they chose this type of fuel and it has been working well from what I see and hear.

Renegade J
01-30-2018, 07:43 PM
I'll have to agree with Jawjacker on this one... I bought a used ice auger a few years back with super low hours runtime. I could never get it to run right. I cleaned the carb, and tried all of the adjustments according to Tecumseh info. The Lawnmower Hospital is a Tecumseh dealer and when I asked them about my engine issues they said that those carbs have such small orifices that they cannot be cleaned out properly by any known method. If the auger is stored with gas in the tank for an excessive time the old gas will essentially block these passages. I believe the cost of a new carb was between $160-200. ASPEN 2 fuel was their reccomendation to prevent these issues. Because I likely only run 1L of fuel through the auger per season I think the extra cost is worth having an auger that always starts and runs every time I need it.

calgarygringo
01-30-2018, 08:24 PM
200 bucks for a carb is a hose job by the way but if you are only running a litre of fuel through your auger a year you have a bigger problem. You are obviously not getting out enough.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

I'll have to agree with Jawjacker on this one... I bought a used ice auger a few years back with super low hours runtime. I could never get it to run right. I cleaned the carb, and tried all of the adjustments according to Tecumseh info. The Lawnmower Hospital is a Tecumseh dealer and when I asked them about my engine issues they said that those carbs have such small orifices that they cannot be cleaned out properly by any known method. If the auger is stored with gas in the tank for an excessive time the old gas will essentially block these passages. I believe the cost of a new carb was between $160-200. ASPEN 2 fuel was their reccomendation to prevent these issues. Because I likely only run 1L of fuel through the auger per season I think the extra cost is worth having an auger that always starts and runs every time I need it.

MooseRiverTrapper
01-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Sure: Nobody can mix it wrong and screw up equipment. I bet someone sold them on the health advantages etc. on this stuff I could see a stupid buyer crawling all over it. You know somethings up when it is our taxpayers money and they are paying 3 to 4 times the cost.

I am happy our first responders are using a premium fuel and not wasting their time mixing gas.

Jawjacker
01-31-2018, 07:35 AM

Sledin, first of all welcome to AO. You will find this forum to contain an amazing group of people with the same passions. There is a wealth of information here to make your outdoor adventure a lot more successful and and fun. When ever I find a product or idea that I feel can benefit a fellow AO member , I post it. No ads from this guy.

Hartly, Thank you for the kind words my friend. I appreciate all your help in learning how to fish never tried species. I will see you at Sylvan this Sunday :)

Coiloil37
01-31-2018, 08:05 AM
Personally, I’m going to use a premium fuel (without ethanol) and mix a quality two stroke oil. Between the auger, chainsaw, snow blower, leaf blower and weed wacker I might burn 30-40 liters a year. IMO there’s no need for a fancy premixed boutique fuel mixture but anyone else can spend their money how they choose.
As for the carbs on those Tecumseh engines. I just took mine off and cleaned it last week. After 11 years it didn’t seem to have the power it used to. I had something in the jet, I didn’t see it but I sure felt it when I pushed a piece of wire in there. It felt like a particle of crud more so then varnish but that’s a guess. The auger once again runs like new, the whole job probably took me 35 minutes but will be a lot closer to 20 next time around. So, yea they sure can be cleaned.
After that job I priced the carbs out. Aftermarket on eBay was less then $20 shipped. Factory on eBay about $65 and I found a shop in the states selling oem carbs for about $35 usd. Any local shop selling you one for $200 should be avoided.

Mike_W
01-31-2018, 10:50 AM
Just a quick note for guys running premium non ethanol/premium fuel....
Through some research I discovered that a pump where you select your grade will have about 5-7 liters of the previously used fuel. So if you rock up to a pump with a 5 or 10 liter jerry can chances are that you are getting all or half regular fuel even though you are paying for premium.

Best solution for this would be to bring two jerry cans say one for a lawnmower or generation and put the first 10 liters in that then fill your jerry can unfortunately this will make your 5 liter jerry can fill cost near $20 bucks.

Unless I have a pile of saw work to do I have been running Stihl MotoMix which is a similar fuel to Aspen with a extended shelf life as well. Its a bit pricey @$35 for 4 liters but for the convenience of seldom used equipment and no need for winterizing etc.. Also not to mention the performance gains. I feel it is worth it.

nast70
01-31-2018, 12:04 PM
I might go through a 5L jerry of mix between the saw and garden tools. My jiffy lightning was temperamental and drove my dad nuts before he gave it to me. It was always a huge chore to start. I ran some seafoam through it and started using the Trufuel from CT. It still has some issues starting cold, but I can get it going with 4-5 pulls, which is a massive improvement over what it was.
Lawnmower Hospital gave my dad the same advise about the carb, and couldn't really do anything with it without a massive bill. Dad didn't use it enough to justify the repair price, so he gave me the headache:).

verado eyes
01-31-2018, 12:05 PM
I been running this gas for 2 years, Its by far the best I used, No issues after letting multiple augers sit a whole summer, same goes for chain saw, weed eater ect, I got no complaints, No issues with carbs or seals,

ROA
01-31-2018, 12:11 PM
So this stuff is a magical hydrocarbon that will not evaporate. Cool story guys.

calgarygringo
01-31-2018, 12:59 PM
If I could I give this a like.:)

Personally, I’m going to use a premium fuel (without ethanol) and mix a quality two stroke oil. Between the auger, chainsaw, snow blower, leaf blower and weed wacker I might burn 30-40 liters a year. IMO there’s no need for a fancy premixed boutique fuel mixture but anyone else can spend their money how they choose.
As for the carbs on those Tecumseh engines. I just took mine off and cleaned it last week. After 11 years it didn’t seem to have the power it used to. I had something in the jet, I didn’t see it but I sure felt it when I pushed a piece of wire in there. It felt like a particle of crud more so then varnish but that’s a guess. The auger once again runs like new, the whole job probably took me 35 minutes but will be a lot closer to 20 next time around. So, yea they sure can be cleaned.
After that job I priced the carbs out. Aftermarket on eBay was less then $20 shipped. Factory on eBay about $65 and I found a shop in the states selling oem carbs for about $35 usd. Any local shop selling you one for $200 should be avoided.

Sledin
01-31-2018, 01:56 PM
Just a quick note for guys running premium non ethanol/premium fuel....

Through some research I discovered that a pump where you select your grade will have about 5-7 liters of the previously used fuel. So if you rock up to a pump with a 5 or 10 liter jerry can chances are that you are getting all or half regular fuel even though you are paying for premium.

Best solution for this would be to bring two jerry cans say one for a lawnmower or generation and put the first 10 liters in that then fill your jerry can unfortunately this will make your 5 liter jerry can fill cost near $20 bucks.

Unless I have a pile of saw work to do I have been running Stihl MotoMix which is a similar fuel to Aspen with a extended shelf life as well. Its a bit pricey @$35 for 4 liters but for the convenience of seldom used equipment and no need for winterizing etc.. Also not to mention the performance gains. I feel it is worth it.

My local Co-Op has an exclusive Premium pump and yes it is ethanol free.

sns2
01-31-2018, 02:16 PM
I use the 50:1 TruFuel from CT in my auger, chainsaw and weed whacker. I go thru about 4 cans a year. Cost is a non-issue at $8.99 a can.

I use it too and it is good stuff. Gonna keep on using it too. Premium fuel. Stabilizer added. No ethanol/additives that are going to eat your fuel lines.

Thunder/FX
01-31-2018, 03:35 PM
Our fire dept now uses Aspen and has for the last 3 years
Before then, there were no start issues and lots of gummy blocked carb issues.
Since the switch there has been no fuel related issues.

Fuel is the difference in small engine use. Period.

I know that when someones life is at risk, the rescue equipment will start.