PDA

View Full Version : Big Whitefish ( pics )

Mitchthefisher
02-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Been spending this hardwater season chasing after whites in hopes of cracking the 10 pound mark for a mount but no luck so far.. lots around 6-7lbs with the biggest being 8lb 5oz... here is a few pictures I have taken on the journey so far.

Jack'n
02-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Wow!! Those are some nice fish Mitch!! I hope you succeed getting that dream 10lber!!

fish99
02-02-2018, 01:30 PM
whites on steroids , those are huge ,small head for the body size fast growers.

pinelakeperch
02-02-2018, 01:41 PM
I follow you on Instagram, haha. Nice fish!

Speckle55
02-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Grats Mitch:47b20s0:

true Jumbo Lake Whitefish:shark:

Quest's are fun ... keep fishing bro:sign0111:

Thanks for sharing

David:)

pikeman06
02-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Wicked Bud thanks for sharing. I love the whites and fish like that make me wanna quit my job.

-JR-
02-03-2018, 05:31 AM
Nice one Mike.

Mitchthefisher
02-03-2018, 05:55 AM
I follow you on Instagram, haha. Nice fish!

Thanks man!.. what is your insta?

SNAPFisher
02-03-2018, 06:28 AM
Pfffft...minnows. What took you so long to get them this year?

j/k :)

Nice work and jumbos for sure!

Setting goals is good. 10 lbs sounds good to me. After that 11 lbs 11 ozs would be special.

Good luck in the quest!

Mitchthefisher
02-03-2018, 08:02 AM
Wicked Bud thanks for sharing. I love the whites and fish like that make me wanna quit my job.

Haha I have a hard time not quitting mine some days..

Mitchthefisher
02-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Pfffft...minnows. What took you so long to get them this year?

j/k :)

Nice work and jumbos for sure!

Setting goals is good. 10 lbs sounds good to me. After that 11 lbs 11 ozs would be special.

Good luck in the quest!

Thanks Snap!.. looks like you have been slaying some hogs yourself this season!

lol cant even imagine breaking 10lbs let alone beating the 11lb 11oz record.

Game Hunter
02-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Good fish man, I know you’ve spent many hours locating these fish.
It’s payed off, I hope you find that 10 plus your after.
When I get some free time, maybe I’ll come out one of these days.

ROA
02-03-2018, 10:01 AM
Any one else notice there are more and more big whites being caught in the province since they stopped commercial netting?

Mitchthefisher
02-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Any one else notice there are more and more big whites being caught in the province since they stopped commercial netting?

Definatly seeing lots of tanks posted this year... but the amount of big ones being caught at the one lake I fish is going downhill big time, the previous 3-4 years a guy could get 20+ Whites over 6lbs a day and this year I only seem to break 6lbs a few times with lots more in the 3-5lb range. More fish but not as big average size.

Mitchthefisher
02-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Good fish man, I know you’ve spent many hours locating these fish.
It’s payed off, I hope you find that 10 plus your after.
When I get some free time, maybe I’ll come out one of these days.

Thanks man!! we definatly got to get out and slay some soon!

Soiler
02-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Nice work. There's some tanks in that lake for sure. Good luck in the hunt for 10lbs.

Mitchthefisher
02-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Nice work. There's some tanks in that lake for sure. Good luck in the hunt for 10lbs.

Don't think I will be getting my 10 at the place you are thinking of but you never know... Its been fishing good this year

pikeman06
02-04-2018, 12:16 AM
Shining bank by Edson and island by athabasca has the record size fish out of the lakes I know. Lots of other lakes have the 9 pound fish but for the true record breakers those two lakes are the ones I'd try. Good luck tho never seen the giants in hand just on camera. 8 lb white is huge but there are fish almost twice that in those two lakes. South buck hopefully bounces back I got some this summer and they look like the type of whitefish that grows fast.

Penner
02-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Nice catch of whites there bud.

For sure the size of whites has increased. Pigeon for one without a doubt saw a impact for the better as commercial fishing was shut down for a decade roughly 15 years ago and at the tail end of it one could easily catch a limit of 10 3-4lb average with smaller and larger fish to be had. Then they opened up commercial fishing on Pigeon for a few years prior to shutting it down province wide. You saw an immediate impact in just those few seasons. Then the summer kills started happening.

And sadly due to the consecutive massive summer kills in Pigeon as of late I believe its only a matter of time before the Whites will become instinct in that lake. All of the Whites are primarily large adults and there is little sign of multiple age classes. The summer kills keep knocking off the adults and the Walleye are picking off the young juveniles. Healthy populations of any fish spices in any water body will have a good variety of all age classes.

Between the huge water quality issues and spices imbalance its just a matter of time I believe.

58thecat
02-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Very nice whities!
Keep at it.

SNAPFisher
02-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Shining bank by Edson and island by athabasca has the record size fish out of the lakes I know. Lots of other lakes have the 9 pound fish but for the true record breakers those two lakes are the ones I'd try. Good luck tho never seen the giants in hand just on camera. 8 lb white is huge but there are fish almost twice that in those two lakes. South buck hopefully bounces back I got some this summer and they look like the type of whitefish that grows fast.

Yep, you and I are on the same page. I have some other lakes in mind as well. It is going to take some time to learn some of the lakes, forage, location, timing but I believe is it very possible. Even if I never break the 10 lb mark of the record the fun will be the searching and having more lakes to go to where it is possible. It really gives me something to look forwards to in the upcoming seasons.

My next interest, new water and a really good burbot spot as well as pike. I'm hoping to figure that out this year. Big whites, next year.

Pikeman, I have to ask, what was the biggest out of Buck for you last summer? That is interesting and encouraging.

SNAPFisher
02-04-2018, 07:38 AM

For sure the size of whites has increased. Pigeon for one without a doubt saw a impact for the better as commercial fishing was shut down for a decade roughly 15 years ago and at the tail end of it one could easily catch a limit of 10 3-4lb average with smaller and larger fish to be had. Then they opened up commercial fishing on Pigeon for a few years prior to shutting it down province wide. You saw an immediate impact in just those few seasons. Then the summer kills started happening.

And sadly due to the consecutive massive summer kills in Pigeon as of late I believe its only a matter of time before the Whites will become instinct in that lake. All of the Whites are primarily large adults and there is little sign of multiple age classes. The summer kills keep knocking off the adults and the Walleye are picking off the young juveniles. Healthy populations of any fish spices in any water body will have a good variety of all age classes.

Between the huge water quality issues and spices imbalance its just a matter of time I believe.

Yep, you would know for sure and I'm noticing the same. The time to start looking elsewhere for me is now :)
How is your season by the way?

Cheers!

Mitchthefisher
02-04-2018, 08:03 AM

I have been getting tons of 1.5-3lbers at pigeon this year and they were almost non existant the previous 3-4 years. Maybe a good sign but definatly way more adult fish in the lake still.

Mitchthefisher
02-04-2018, 08:05 AM

heard rumours that years ago a 15lber was netted from island but hard to say for sure.

parfleche
02-04-2018, 03:18 PM
did you notice any parasites in the fish you caught ? nice catch by the way !

Mitchthefisher
02-04-2018, 03:41 PM
did you notice any parasites in the fish you caught ? nice catch by the way !

only one of the small ones I have kept this year had white worms along the rib cage but not actually inside of the meat.. Been told they are harmless

403flyguy
02-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Awesome looking fish

pikeman06
02-04-2018, 09:40 PM
Roger that on the 15 lb netted on island. It was in the local paper. Even bigger than that a couple years before. Snap the ones I got in buck were 5 and 6 lb but looked very young if you know your whites. Some 3lbers too so it's looking good. I was marking them deep on my new finder so I bottom bounced and nailed 6 in two days. Nice fish.

SNAPFisher
02-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Roger that on the 15 lb netted on island. It was in the local paper. Even bigger than that a couple years before. Snap the ones I got in buck were 5 and 6 lb but looked very young if you know your whites. Some 3lbers too so it's looking good. I was marking them deep on my new finder so I bottom bounced and nailed 6 in two days. Nice fish.

Nice work :)

Penner
02-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Yep, you would know for sure and I'm noticing the same. The time to start looking elsewhere for me is now :)
How is your season by the way?

Cheers!

I’ve only made it on the ice a few times this year so that sucks but the times I got out fishing was stellar! Got to find sometime to go chasing these jumbo whites like you guys. I love the battle they put up.

marlin1
02-05-2018, 02:59 PM
nice whites