PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan Lake B.C.

Alberta Redneck
05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I am curious to know if any of you boys have fished Sheridan Lake in B.C. I am heading there on the 4th of June for a week. I hope to catch some 20-30lb Lakers. I would like to know what to use to be successful.
Thanks in advance for any tips

Alberta Redneck

badger
05-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Check the FlyBC.ca forum for info on fly fishing. Don't know about lake trout though I have caught small lakers in Bridge Lake. BC fish wizard does not list Lake trout as present in Sheridan Lake. Three of us will be staying at Sheridan third week in June hunting the big rainbows.

Springer
05-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I am heading to sheridan as well June 14 or 15th. apparently ,according to my BC pal that fishes it every year that there is Big Plump Blackwater Rainbow in there. we will fly fish it and of course troll some hardware.
Check it out on the web,they show some big fish caught there.
No Lakers as far as my knowledge.

Good Luck.
Springer

Little Red Man
05-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Been there twice now...and yup...no Laker's that I know if.....Big sumbitch Rainbows though. Can be VERY tough fishing, but you are going at a pretty good time. Lots of guys troll with lead core, with very long light leaders and small brass lures (I think they are called Dick Night Spoons). Lots of other guys use Chironimids with fly rods and indicators. Personally, I have caught my biggest (by no means the largest in the lake) Rainbow there at 6 1/4 lbs. I caught mine on a 5 weight fly rod with a pheasant tail nymph. Oh yeah, Russ reminded me, that I also had good luck with bead head green woolly buggers with a bit a flash in the tail under an indicator. And other folks were trolling with just spinning reals (again with very long light leaders) and fly's like zug bugs and doc spratley's. Good luck!

Russ C
05-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Fished it last year at the end of May. As far as I know there are only rainbows in Sheridan. I stayed for a week and did well with leeches on an intermediate sink line.

Good luck and be sure to report how it fished for you.
Russ C

Dark
05-21-2009, 09:10 PM
try an orange carey special, its a fly
no lakers that i have heard of

Bushrat
05-21-2009, 09:36 PM
There used to be some brook trout in there, we used to catch them through the ice, haven't fished there in a dozen years or so though.

Alberta Redneck
05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the tips, boys. I will have to agree there are no lakers, i screwed up i was thinking of quesnel lake when i was talking about the lakers. I am however going to Sheridan and not Quesnel Lake this year. I think we are staying at Loon Bay Resort. I was also told to use light and dark blue Apex, i will however be bringing the fly rod as well, switch it up a little.

Alberta Redneck

Alberta Redneck
05-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Some of you boys talk about an indicator, exactly how does that work. I have never used an indicator on a fly rod. So where do you put it?

Alberta Redneck

Little Red Man
05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
It is basically a small sliding bobber that you can lock on to your leader with a toothpick or similar device. Usually used in lakes (but streams also) to dead float a wet fly (nymph, chironimid, streamer). Quite often your leaders are quite long using an indicator and generally you want to get your fly just off the bottom.

Check this link out. (Mods; if this is an issue posting this URL, please let me know and I will delete).

http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/ltindicators/

Safety D
05-22-2009, 05:05 PM
That lake is dead. I would not go there again..

Mudslide
05-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Indicator = Bobber, for the purists :evilgrin:

Ruger4
05-22-2009, 06:03 PM
.....is a very moody lake , fished it for years back in the early mid 90's and every time we hooked into some pretty nice rainbows , no lakers in here. Spratley's on an intermediate sink proved well but be prepared to go a while with nothing. Our last fish there , wife and I launched our boat and as we headed out the local boys club were snickering on the shore as they peaked in ( like most do ) to see what I was tieing up , Brown spratley with a gold beaded head , away we went and not a couple hundred feet from shore the wife's reel bust's loose and she's hooked into a 3lb er , they couldnt believe there eyes , but as mentioned earlier be patient , that was it for us for the whole weekend !! Couple weeks after ice off has been the best ( in our experience ) but June can be quite cool and keep the fish moving around, good luck , beats sittin at home !!

Alberta Redneck
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the tips, Ruger. I can be patient. If i'm not catching fish, you can bet your a ss i'll be catching a buzz.

Alberta Redneck

Kingfisher
05-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Been there quite a bit. Like others have said use a long line aproach. A clear intermediate line is what I usually use. Troll with a black, green or red leech. Use about 10 feet of 8 or 10lb florocarbon on the end of your leader as a tippet. When trolling make sure and let out lots of line. 100 to 130 is good. That's 90 feet of your fly line plus 40 feet of backing. Troll fairly slow so the line drags the bottom or comes close to dragging. These fish come along and see the fly just above the bottom and hammer them. You can also use this method with a spinning rod and reel. Just put the fly on and put a split shot about 3 feet in front of the fly to bring it down. If you think your going slow enough, you probably aren't. Some guys use this method and just row their boat around.

Now having said that I've also caught the fish in some of the shallow bays with only a chronomid. But that's another system all together.

Another great fly for there is a goomphus (Basically a dragonfly nymph pattern). Either in olive green or white. size 8 is a good all round size. Both colors work equally good. Use the same trolling method as above. The fly is made from spun deer hair and when you troll it along the fly will stay up off the bottom. If you need some flies go to The Kamloops Fly Shop before you head up the highway to Sheridan. Talk to Ron there at the fly shop. He'll help you get set up. He's a great guy with tons of good knowledge.

Just edited for a quick tidbit. A friend of mine is a gear fisher and uses a black and silver flatfish out there. He does well. It's not a large one. About an inch and a half long at most. Not sure what size that is. But he also trolls it way back and slow to get it down.

What ever you do don't let your rod rest by itself on the edge of your boat. Seen way too many dissapear over the edge. Either put it in a rod holder, or tie it with a secured rope to something in your boat or hold onto it. These fish do hit hard.

Rob