PDA

View Full Version : small flys and trout

fluxcore
05-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Im just curious but over the years i've only been able to catch large trout with big fly's (eg.wooly bugers) I mostly target big brown trout that may have something to do with it? I was reading a thread online and this angler seems to have increadible luck fishing small nymphs (bead heads, hare's nymph etc) for big browns? I can catch stream bows all day on a small bead head but whan it comes to browns thay dont seem to want to touch them? maby im doing something wrong?

Scott N
05-21-2009, 10:04 PM
I think it depends on what the fish are feeding on. Speaking for myself, I've got some of the biggest brown and rainbow trout of my life in out of the Bow River using small flies, say 14-16 in size. Where are you fishing, the Red Deer River?

fluxcore
05-21-2009, 10:09 PM
I think it depends on what the fish are feeding on. Speaking for myself, I've got some of the biggest brown and rainbow trout of my life in out of the Bow River using small flies, say 14-16 in size. Where are you fishing, the Red Deer River?

I mostly fish the Red Deer river, Stauffer creek and the clearwater river

fluxcore
05-21-2009, 10:42 PM
The trout im targeting are 25"+ and 6-10lbs, I usually fish a big wooly bugger with large lead eyes that sinks like a stone.