PDA

View Full Version : info on glenmore reservoir, from a study in the 80ties

elkfriend
05-21-2009, 11:24 PM
From a study done in the 80ties:

"6 species of fish have been found in Glenmore Reservoir: mountain whitefish, brown trout, northern pike, yellow perch, longnose suckers and white suckers. On 23 and 24 August 1988, Fish and Wildlife Division set two 225-m test nets for a 22-hour period (Alta. For. Ld. Wild. n.d.). A total of 100 fish were caught: 32 northern pike, 25 yellow perch, 6 brown trout, 31 longnose suckers and 6 white suckers. The sport fish caught included large representatives of each species-a 95-cm pike, a 31-cm perch and a 66-cm brown trout. Mountain whitefish are occasionally caught by anglers.

Fish and Wildlife Division stocked the reservoir with rainbow trout, lake trout and kokanee in the mid-1960s (Alta. Ld. For. 1964-1966). These plantings were not successful and the reservoir has not been stocked since.

Sport fishing is only moderately popular in Glenmore Reservoir, more likely due to boating restrictions than to the quality and availability of fish (Lowe 1989).

baitfisher83
05-21-2009, 11:35 PM
too bad the kokanee didnt stick, that woulda been awesome...they should really try it again though...

jeprli
05-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Elkfriend that is some awesome info!

There are some new weird fish in Glenmore. Last year I hooked something black, looked like a smallmouth/rockbass but in black color with big orange eyes. I brought it to my feet but it got off(since this occurrence I carry a camera all the time), who knows if there will ever be a chance to see it again.

Another fish I saw looks like a walleye(don't know if it is) from time to time it will cruise the shallows and lay on rocks(middle of hot summer day), it doesn't budge when you toss it artificial lures. So far I spotted it 3 times in 3 different places. Again, now that I have a camera we'll take pics when i spot it again.

Pulled a "monster" brown out of it couple a weeks back, 3kg 75cm female, first time in 10 years that i catch a trout out of Glenmore(I've seen em much bigger but seems impossible to fool it with a plug).

There are some very big fish in it, only thing is out of 100 outings maybe 1 time you'll get a chance to hook into something huge. Personally I don't think boats would help anyone catch more fish, shoreline seems to be the key for Glenmore fish.

marlin1
05-22-2009, 08:00 AM
maybe it was a sculpin

allenford
05-22-2009, 08:00 AM
LOL, 31 cm perch...

michelle
05-22-2009, 08:50 AM
I am going to have to fish there more often...it is so close! The only access site I know of is the Rowing Club spot. Anyone know a better spot?

Battery
05-22-2009, 10:58 AM
out of the 10 or 12 times i've fished glenmore, ive only pulled out 2 pike. Tough lake to fish

elkfriend
05-22-2009, 11:00 AM
X2 !!

Was out there last nite, tried various spoons and the good old 5 of diamond - but to no avail.

No bite, no nibble, nothing.

Maybe it was the weather.

Has anyone tried fishing around the bridge?

SuCraM
05-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I have tried everywhere and have never got even a nibble. I have officially crossed it off my list. I would much rather drive for a while to a much better fishery.

The Fisherman Guy
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I am going to have to fish there more often...it is so close! The only access site I know of is the Rowing Club spot. Anyone know a better spot?

Hey Michelle, try near the south side, there is a boat launch at the end of 24th st sw, if you are heading north from Anderson. Follow the path to the right of the yacht club, and onto the point that looks north, and try casting Len Thompson spoons I have seen bigger pike taken this way.

Good luck!

strathmorite
05-22-2009, 02:25 PM
when i was younger I used to pull a lot of pike from under weasle head bridge( not sure if that still qualifies as the reservoir) on a good day you could look off the bridge and see pike lined up looking for a meal coming down stream.

hopefully this helps but havent been there in years and years

BlueNorther
05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
when i was younger I used to pull a lot of pike from under weasle head bridge( not sure if that still qualifies as the reservoir) on a good day you could look off the bridge and see pike lined up looking for a meal coming down stream.

hopefully this helps but havent been there in years and years

So did I, even had their feeding times down for the best fishing. Lob out a smelt to twist in the current and wait 5 minutes, it was rare that you didn't hook up in that time. Caught a lot of hammer handles but also got a few that broke the 10 to 12 pound mark.

2big4u
05-22-2009, 04:08 PM
I'll be on the res tonight setting my FF and fishing tomorrow or Sunday.

jeprli
05-22-2009, 08:28 PM
was there again today, hooked into a 5-6lb pike but lost it, after 3 hours of tossing plugs it surprised me and off she went, just saw it roll itself and that was it. Lots of fishermen this year out there, bite is still not ON if it was you guys would have a handful to deal with. Water level is at the lowest I've ever witnessed, still very cold. I think this weekend might be success.

baitfisher83
05-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I so wanna go this sunday....hopefully i can find a way to get there..

rena0040
05-23-2009, 12:49 AM
was there tonight, got a little pike and missed another hit.

met a guy who said he pulled out an 8lb brown (didn't see it for myself)

NLB09
08-06-2009, 11:28 PM
My bro & I went there last night about 8pm...wasn't getting any bites for the first hour! I experimented with a ton of different tackle!! Popped on a Rapala
Count Down (looked like a baby brown). First cast got it out pretty far...counted it down, reeled, counted down, reeled, etc! As soon as I got it through the batch of weeds........boommmmmm!! He hit so hard......my bro is going crazy looking for the net......(fishing the shore). All of a sudden, as soon as I said, I wonder what kind of fish it is....he he comes about 2 feet out of the water, shows me his belly & smack back into the water!! Brown trout...The biggest brown I personally ever caught...I would beat my life he was 10-15 lbs easy!!! He hit my hook like one of your buddys was in the water yanking on your lure!! I was givin him some leewaym tryin to tire him out! All of a sudden he's like, I'm outta here......snap!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Why me!!!!!!!! SO angry!!!! I stayed till 10 hoping I'd hook another one.......no such luck!! Word to the wise....if you don't like 1000's of bats flying around your head...don't stay till dark! Going back tomorrow to try again!!! I'm sure I'll be up all night, exciting & thinking how to lure him back!! Give me back my rapala fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue2:

WayneChristie
08-07-2009, 04:29 PM
there was a fishing shop off blackfoot. gone out of business now. that had some mounted fish on the walls, including pike trout huge perch and some nice walleyes. they told me that all of them, were caught in the Glenmore reservoir, including the walleyes.

WayneChristie
08-07-2009, 04:30 PM
and Im sure I remember reading a few years back, about some little kid fishing off the dock at the sailing marina, who caught a 15 pound rainbow on marshmallows.

michelle
08-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Maybe I will head out there tonight. I will let you know how it goes!:D

baitfisher83
08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
aww i so wanna..lol

WayneChristie
08-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Maybe I will head out there tonight. I will let you know how it goes!:D

usually one foot in front of the other :lol:

Remi3006
08-07-2009, 10:34 PM
If yoy can creep behind the hospital there is an old train bridge there... Throwning spoons under that dock is pretty good with pike

fishnamed
08-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Growing up there i always fished the south side, Park at the end of 90th avenue and walk to the lake, lots of paths down, always used red and whites or five of diamonds. The trout werent so prevelant back then (late 70's) and if you wanted whitefish, hit the elbow above weasel head.
As well if you enter the parking area from 24th street and 90th ave follow the bike trail to the east towards heritage park, the first corner you come to is like stairs leading into the water, fish this, it always produces.
Glenmore can be a nice lake to fish, very easy access and lots of good fish, gets weedy toward the end of summer.

michelle
08-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Good info! We arrived kind of late but did manage to catch a tiny Burbot!:o Have to try out those spots.:D

baitfisher83
08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
hahah yer a burb queen now...