PDA

View Full Version : Flood Ice Fox Creek Lakes????

Drewski Canuck
02-12-2018, 01:18 PM
I heard a report that there was a foot of flood on Meekwap.

Apparently other Fox Vegas lakes are the same.

Given the thickness of the ice, and low snow cover early on, I find this very hard to believe unless it is in the vicinity of a heave.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Drewski

guru fisher
02-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Crooked was bad I heard but the buckets of humpback perch makes up for it !!!

caddisfly7
02-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Report is true, lots of flood water of Meekwap. Plenty of snow and flood water on a couple of the lakes around Fox Creek

pikeman06
02-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Low snow? ? It's up to your waist in the open bud. Working right by smoke. Iosegun is flood water bad but along shore it sounded like it wasnt too bad. Forget about driving on them I would say but giver a go if you think its worth it. This warm weather gonna make the snow hard to drive thru.

WildCats
02-12-2018, 09:06 PM
He said very little snow early in the season, not lately.

Wc

Low snow? ? It's up to your waist in the open bud. Working right by smoke. Iosegun is flood water bad but along shore it sounded like it wasnt too bad. Forget about driving on them I would say but giver a go if you think its worth it. This warm weather gonna make the snow hard to drive thru.

Sundancefisher
02-13-2018, 09:41 AM
I heard a report that there was a foot of flood on Meekwap.

Apparently other Fox Vegas lakes are the same.

Given the thickness of the ice, and low snow cover early on, I find this very hard to believe unless it is in the vicinity of a heave.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Drewski

All you need is heavy snow weight pushing down the ice followed by a sudden cold snap. If the ice is right...cracks can open up and flood to the surface...soaking the snow like a sponge...making it heavier and causing more water to over flow.

Don't need a heave. Although flood can happen there also. Remember where ice heaves up...it could be cracking elsewhere and opening a fissure.

Generally once the ice is a certain thickness...cracks will self heal.

dodgeboy1979
02-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Pouring rain right now in Fox Creek, should make the snow conditions interesting.

Sooner
02-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Pouring rain right now in Fox Creek, should make the snow conditions interesting.

Ugggh, there go's that nice waist deep riding snow :mad0100:

Ice fishing now will be a challenge with the dumps they got out west in the last few weeks.

Drewski Canuck
02-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Rain on snow and then a good freeze is deadly.

A good crust that is hard to break, and then slush to freeze on the track made so its like riding on rails, from the flood.

Then all the slush freezes on the side of the truck, and you can't get one door open by afternoon!

Fond Memories of that!!!

Lets hope for a warm snap that drops all the snow pack so it re freezes solid. Not the best but better than the worst.

Drewski

pikeman06
02-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Fishing was pretty good before the snow came. Gotta be tough to get around or even turn around on some of these lakes that never get plowed out. Keep raining! Knock that snow down a bit.