PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Spectra Downrigger Line ?

surhuntsalot
05-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I need to change out the cable on my downriggers, and was wondering if anyone has used the SPECTRA stuff ? Does it still produce the same hum as the steel cable ? Would 150 lb. test be strong enough for a 10 lb. weight ? I saw they had the 250 lb spectra stuff at the fishin hole today, but the steel cable is marked at 150 lb test...

Whats recomended ???

Tides and Tales
05-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I switched over to braided down rigger line on one of my boats because I was having trouble getting it to fish as good as the other boat. Electrolosis plays a huge role when trolling salmon, and It seemed to make a difference for me, my black box is pretty much obsolete. It doesn't make the humming sound, and seems to be as tough as stainless cable. Tie your ends on with a palomar or clove hitch knot, they both seem to last. Also, I tied a big swivel into the line about 3 ft from cannonball clip, this triggers the gate on the scotty electrics and eliminates the need for those little beads that slip and fall off. All in all, I would recommend it, and I may switch my other boat for this season!!
cheers,
MK