PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Lake on Saturday Tagging Fish

Mantracker
05-24-2009, 06:17 AM
I was fishing on Pigeon yesterday and it if from my understanding that once you decide to keep a Walleye that is legal size you must tag it as soon as you decide to keep it,I saw alot of people catching fish and putting them right into there live wells and onto there fish chains and put them hanging over the side of there boats .Anyone one have any comment on this

sneekie
05-24-2009, 07:07 AM
A walleye that is
retained must be
tagged immediately
through the gill cavity
and mouth with a paper tag and wire. To tag your walleye:
�� Spread the ends of the wire loop slightly apart and insert an end into
one side of the mouth, pushing it back toward the gill opening on the
same side until it protrudes out from the gill cover. Note: you may have
to squeeze the wire ends close together again.
�� Remove the backing from the adhesive paper tag. Place the open end
of the wire loop flat against one half of the adhesive side of the tag
and fold the other half over, so that the adhesive sides are pressed
together evenly and firmly, with the wire secured between. Note: the
open portion of the wire loop must be completely covered by the
tag.
2009 DRAWS
page 16 2009 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations
March 20 - April 23 Draw applications may be purchased online at

bucktaker
05-24-2009, 07:21 AM
they might not have had tags. just a thought. have to put them on right away

-JR-
05-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Any one no what the fine is .Just wonding.

troller
05-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Any one no what the fine is .Just wonding.

From the Fisheries Act Alberta

Enforcement

Offences

34(1) A person who hinders, obstructs or impedes a fishery officer or fishery guardian in the performance of the officer’s or guardian’s duties is guilty of an offence.

(2) A person who gives false or misleading information to the Minister, to the Assistant Deputy Minister under section 15 or to a fishery officer or fishery guardian carrying out the administration of this Act is guilty of an offence.

(3) A licensee who does not comply with any term or condition of the licence is guilty of an offence.

(3.1) A competitive fishing event participant who does not comply with a term or condition of the licence applicable to the participant is guilty of an offence.

(3.2) It is a defence to a charge under subsection (3.1) for the accused to establish that the accused was not notified of the terms and conditions of the licence.

(4) A person who alters a licence other than in accordance with this Act is guilty of an offence.

(5) A person who does not comply with an order under section 32(1), (2) or (3) is guilty of an offence.

(6) A person who contravenes section 4, 6(1) or (3), 7(1), 8(1) or (2), 9(2), 10(1), 11(1), 11.1(1), 15(3), 16(1) or (3), 18(1) or (3), 22(2), 23(2), 29(1), (2) or (3) or 30(1) or a provision of the regulations is guilty of an

Penalty

35(1) A person who is guilty of an offence is liable to a fine of not more than $100 000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than one year or to both.

(2) If an offence is committed or continued on more than one day, it constitutes a separate offence for each day on which the contravention is committed or continued.

(3) In addition to imposing a fine or an imprisonment term, the court may suspend or cancel any licence issued to the accused, and the court may direct that an accused does not have the right to obtain or hold a licence for up to 5 years from the date of the conviction.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I was fishing on Pigeon yesterday and it if from my understanding that once you decide to keep a Walleye that is legal size you must tag it as soon as you decide to keep it,I saw alot of people catching fish and putting them right into there live wells and onto there fish chains and put them hanging over the side of there boats .Anyone one have any comment on this

See this is an example that I get really upset about people deliberately breaking the law . If you don't have tags catch them and snap a picture or two if need be and let em go . I don't know what it would take for these clowns to remove there heads from there butts and start following the laws. I don't care if you put a fish in your live well there's no culling allowed in Alberta . And yet you get speaking the truth and you still look like the bad guy , because someone thinks there above the law and can do as they please BUZZZ WRONG Answer . I think there's no way around it time to Jack fishing licence rates up so they can get more enforcement . Things like this just gets me wound up tighter then a top . Anyway ill shut up now .

BigRackLover
05-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Are you not allowed to upgrade?

For Example. Fisherman Bob holds a Class B license and catches a 43.5 cm walleye in pigeon lake. Can he keep it (untagged) in a live well or on a stringer and continue to fish for a larger one? If he doesn't catch a larger one and decides to go home, he must either A) release the fish or B) tag the fish. If he does catch a larger one, let's say 49 cm them he could release the first walleye and keep the second walleye.

From sneakie's post above ... what does 'retained' mean?

And according to dictonary.com:

–verb (used with object)
1. to keep possession of.
2. to continue to use, practice, etc.: to retain an old custom.
3. to continue to hold or have: to retain a prisoner in custody; a cloth that retains its color.
4. to keep in mind; remember.
5. to hold in place or position.
6. to engage, esp. by payment of a preliminary fee: to retain a lawyer.

I guess #5 answers my question ... No you can't upgrade.

BigRackLover
05-24-2009, 02:37 PM
As long as they tag before they go home ... I could care less if they keep em' untagged in a live well. It's the whole "you must tag your kill immediately after shooting it" thing again" ... which has been discussed on this forum previously.

05-24-2009, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=BigRackLover;325118]Are you not allowed to upgrade?

For Example. Fisherman Bob holds a Class B license and catches a 43.5 cm walleye in pigeon lake. Can he keep it (untagged) in a live well or on a stringer and continue to fish for a larger one? If he doesn't catch a larger one and decides to go home, he must either A) release the fish or B) tag the fish. If he does catch a larger one, let's say 49 cm them he could release the first walleye and keep the second walleye.

[QUOTE]

That wouldnt be Legal , as that is culling . You have a spur of a moment to make a choice , you catch a fish and you must tag it right away according the the currnet draw system regulations which is fare , and well if you catch a larger fish later on sucks to be you toss it back or now youve broken the law.

BigIrv
05-24-2009, 04:29 PM
As long as they tag before they go home ... I could care less if they keep em' untagged in a live well. It's the whole "you must tag your kill immediately after shooting it" thing again" ... which has been discussed on this forum previously.

If a Fish and Wildlife officer approaches your boat and asks to check
your livewell and/or stringer and there are no tags on the Walleye's you will get ticketed and/or fined and/or your license revoked.
There are no ways around the rule. If you keep the fish it must be immediatly tagged.

Also to your provious note, yes BBJ is correct keeping a fish until you get a bigger one and letting the first one go is culling and it to is illegal. Again if you are caught you face the same stuff as in my above paragraph.

TimC
05-24-2009, 04:34 PM
my wife caught her first fish ever early and it fit her Class B on Saturday, so we decided to keep it, however, being a new fishermen, i forget to bring ice to the boat. therefore i put it in the live well with the tag. (i didn't want the fish in the boat for the rest of the day being dry and warm).

let me tell you, by the time we got back to shore, the tag was in bad sharp being in the live well for 4 hours.

it would be better for all the fishermen if the tag are waterproof.

or better they should be in a form of a "zip tie", waterproof the tag and can only be use once.

just my 2 cents.

Mantracker
05-25-2009, 06:16 AM
I dont beleive it dump asses at Spruce Grove Wallmart when I went to get my Walleye tags the machine printed out my license and did not print out the three tags well all hell broke lose the dumb ass told me you dont tag fish ,only big game animals so I had to show him the regs and demanded that he delete my license so i could go to canadian tire and redo my license there well after argueing for 2 hours with management the machine finally worked in revokeing my licenece and finally got my refund ,they allso phoned other wallmarts and asked if they where giving fishermen tags with there permits and they all said no the machines were not printing out the orange tags.

So there are alot of p[eople out there with no tags for there wallleys just the licence in hand ,they are going to be in for a surprise when they get check by the F/W

sneekie
05-25-2009, 06:55 AM
I got my tags in the mail and i will just go to the licence vendor and buy my licence when i head to wolf.2 years ago when i got a tag though it didn't come in the mail i had to go buy it at the vendor with my licence??new system I don't know

nicemustang
05-25-2009, 09:00 AM
I got my tags in the mail and i will just go to the licence vendor and buy my licence when i head to wolf.2 years ago when i got a tag though it didn't come in the mail i had to go buy it at the vendor with my licence??new system I don't know

Because they want you to do it online. You can register and pay for the license online at albertarelm.ca.

sneekie
05-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I can never get it the buy licence part of alberta relm to work for me???

iliketrout
05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
As far as a fine goes, I went to the Walleye Unlimited meeting last week and they had the senior biologist responsible for southern alberta there. He said that they caught a boat with 12 'eyes from CVR and they were found guilty in court and fined $500 per fish. Same thing happened to a guy with 6 in his boat. The biologist actually went to court to testify.

nicemustang
05-25-2009, 02:29 PM
So am I correct, you can't catch a walleye, put it on a stringer or in a live well WITHOUT tagging it, hoping to get another (bigger) one later on? I would like clarification on this please.

For the record, I think that catching a walleye, having tags or not, putting in your live well or on a chain waiting for a bigger one before actually tagging it, is completely wrong and SHOULD be against the law. If I'd see anyone doing this I would have called RAP right away and ask and report them if they were doing anything illegal. But would still like clarification please.

05-25-2009, 02:58 PM
So am I correct, you can't catch a walleye, put it on a stringer or in a live well WITHOUT tagging it, hoping to get another (bigger) one later on? I would like clarification on this please.

You are correct . As that is what they call Culling and its illegal to do in Alberta .
Directly from the Regulations under General sport fishing Regulations .
Never Cull Fish
“Culling” is staying within the catch limit for a species by releasing fish from a stringer or other holding device when a larger fish is caught. Fish that have been held on a stringer or in a tub usually die if released because of stress and because of damage to their gills, fins and scales.

If you want some reading material and want to know what your talking about read threw the Fish and wildlife act as its online .http://www.qp.alberta.ca/570.cfm?frm_isbn=9780779730490&search_by=link

JohninAB
05-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Either tag it right away or let it go. Do not put it into your livewell in hopes of upgrading. No sense stressing the fish anymore before releasing it.

nicemustang
05-25-2009, 03:37 PM
That's what I thought. Too bad people are doing that. I don't think there is anyway a fish would survive after being on a stringer all afternoon. I would think that the live well would keep fish alive and they should recover just fine. After all, this happens all the time with tournaments and such.

TimC
05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
You are correct . As that is what they call Culling and its illegal to do in Alberta .
Directly from the Regulations under General sport fishing Regulations .
Never Cull Fish
“Culling” is staying within the catch limit for a species by releasing fish from a stringer or other holding device when a larger fish is caught. Fish that have been held on a stringer or in a tub usually die if released because of stress and because of damage to their gills, fins and scales.

If you want some reading material and want to know what your talking about read threw the Fish and wildlife act as its online .http://www.qp.alberta.ca/570.cfm?frm_isbn=9780779730490&search_by=link

If you have a tag for class B, that extra 7cm might give you a few more ounces of fillet maybe?? and if you have class C, i hope you don't thinking about keeping one until it's close to 40cm.

so for a few more ounces of fish, i don't know why people would take the risk??

like i said earlier, i put mine in the live well because it was my wife first fish and she caught it early. but the tag was in bad shape in the live well when we were back to shore.

I wonder what would happen if a CO sees a fish in the well with a beat up tag?? (it was somewhat still readable) would i get a fine for it??

nicemustang
05-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Timc, I doubt you would get a fine if you had proof of your tags that you purchased.

allenford
05-25-2009, 04:07 PM
My question is:

is it legal to put a fish (legal size and spicy for the waterbody you are fishing) on a stringer to keep it alive for the rest time of fishing, or, you have to kill it immediately when you decide to keep it?

nicemustang
05-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Excellent question. I'd like to know that too. I do this all the time actually, but it's only on a lake where it's legal to keep fish of it's size, example travers, where I've caught them over 50 cm.

BigIrv
05-25-2009, 07:15 PM
My question is:

is it legal to put a fish (legal size and spicy for the waterbody you are fishing) on a stringer to keep it alive for the rest time of fishing, or, you have to kill it immediately when you decide to keep it?

No you do not have to kill it immediatly. Once on a stringer or in your live well it is condsidered that you have decided to keep that fish. Kill it now or later doesn't matter to the law. However there is a line of thought that if you are going to keep it, kill it now so it doesn't have to suffer being on the stringer for hours.

Pikebreath
05-26-2009, 09:19 AM
While culling has always been around the practice seems to have mushroomed in recent years. Live wells became a necessity with the tournament angling crowd when the various tournament circuits began promoting live release tourneys and made culling somewhat acceptable in the minds of many anglers.

However to my of thinking culling for the purposes of being able to take a larger fish instead just doesn't seem right having the potential to increase stress and mortality levels of culled fish. Personally I would like to see a regulation forbidding the possession of any live fish. That would require all fish to be immediately killed if they are to held in possession or released immediately (alive).

allenford
05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
No you do not have to kill it immediatly. Once on a stringer or in your live well it is condsidered that you have decided to keep that fish. Kill it now or later doesn't matter to the law. However there is a line of thought that if you are going to keep it, kill it now so it doesn't have to suffer being on the stringer for hours.

Thanks BigIrv..

JohninAB
05-26-2009, 04:05 PM
But your fish be a whole lot tastier if you killed it right away and put it on ice than dragging it wround on a stringer. That is a given.

On Lac Seul in NW Ontario and some surrounding alkes there. If you plan to keep ths fish it must be killed immediately, no putting in a livewell, no stringers. Like that rule alot.

Donavonszoo
05-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Just adding on: Its illigal to posses live game fish that are outside 100 m boundry of the waters they were caught in... meaning you dont have to kill them right away but make sure you do before leaving the lake.

05-26-2009, 09:24 PM
If you have a tag for class B, that extra 7cm might give you a few more ounces of fillet maybe?? and if you have class C, i hope you don't thinking about keeping one until it's close to 40cm.

so for a few more ounces of fish, i don't know why people would take the risk??

like i said earlier, i put mine in the live well because it was my wife first fish and she caught it early. but the tag was in bad shape in the live well when we were back to shore.

I wonder what would happen if a CO sees a fish in the well with a beat up tag?? (it was somewhat still readable) would i get a fine for it??

Exactly what nice mustang said . If you have your tag you are also given a recept of proof of tags , There for I doubt there would be a problem , but maybe fire off a message to fish and wildlife or drop them a line . I at the same time will check with my friend .