PDA

View Full Version : My rant on litter at the North Sask

Smokey
05-25-2009, 01:59 AM
I went down to the North Saskatchewan south of Spruce Grove the past three weekends to have a picnic and fishing. Last weekend I got there on the Friday for May Long and there was 8 tents of youngins' setting up for a broohaha of a weekend. I was once young and I'd be a hypocrite if I said I was perfect. So I was giving the youngins' the benifit of the doubt. I was polite and smiled and BS'd with them. I knew that what they were doing was probably illegal but I figured if they respected others well I was not going to say BOO. Well I went back there yesterday and the garbage those yahoos left was atrocious. I have never understood why people go to the river to enjoy God's beautiful earth and then dump their crap everywhere. There was garbage and litter everywhere, beer cans, food, cans, it was plain gross. My assumption is that someone with more sense then me said to them, pack up your junk cause I am taking down license plates, and am going to phone the RCMP. Cause they left tent bags, chair bags, a tarp and a couple other items. It was like they left in a hurray. I could not pick up the items, but next time there I will clean up the general area. Next time I am there I promise to write down license numbers of these young brats, and say move your butts in ten minutes. This spot has become a safe haven for people to hot box, leave garbage, and test out their rear shocks.

I wish I could understand why people are so lazy to leave the garbage. To me if you are some sorta self professed lover of the outdoors, and you leave crap, your a joke. I am not against a occasional cold one, but why has camping become lets get bombed with a campfire, and leave junk everywhere. Very outdoorsy, these kids are lucky that there is not much chance of a bear out there, cause if they were in the real woods, a 800 pound grizzly would of probably looked for some lunch and said "hi hooyadoo" Ive learned my lesson, things will be different next time.

If you see kids being stupid down there please report them. Its unfortunate that people have realized this is safe place for stupidity. Ive gone there for years, and word has gotten around that this is great place to endulge in a selfish manner, cause the amount of kids that are going there has grown exponentially. I guess the gravel pits are getting too full. There are so many kids there all of the sudden because they realize that can get away with this type of behavior. (Man I am getting old)

The Anvil
05-25-2009, 02:27 AM
EXCELLENT POST!!!

I agree there is a lack of respect in general for our outdoors, I headed out to the McCleod river south of Edson on Hwy47 today for a few hours and low and behold when I drove down to that spot where the Embarrass river joins, there was trash everywhere. There was what looked like a garbage can full of junk that had been placed in a makeshift fire pit, trash strewn about, broken glass everywhere. I picked up what I could and piled it all together.

Its not just the youth, its people whom have no regard for the outdoors, our environment and the future of such wilderness.

Kinda Sad.

Kevin C.
05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Coming from Ontario I find that Alberta in general has a problem with litter control. I am not saying that Ontario is perfect far from it infact. But in my area there is a great difference in the amount of littler on the ground for a town of 10,000 and the town of 50,000 I came from. I have come to the conclusion that it may be the go go go ethics of the people in the province that causes people to litter. Its not just campsites and such, I work in gravel pits and people dump there crap there instead of taking it to the dump which where I am from is free. I do what I can myself when I am out fishing but I definetly think more people need to start respecting what we have here.
Just my 2cents

Sartorius
05-26-2009, 06:21 PM
A man after my own heart!!

I was by the river on Friday by Devon. It was disgusting! There was a spot with a fire pit, a dozen beer bottles, a broken fishing rod, lure packages, receipts, live leaches, and a crap load (hopefully I can say that on here...) of other stuff. It was atrocious!!

I just don't understand how people can even live with the idea of littering. I was raised to always pick up after myself; I guess not everyone was!! And it just gives anglers such a bad reputation.

P.S. I'm 19, and I'm proud to say that I pick up my garbage, beer cans, whatever, whether I'm camping or not. It just makes me angry that the few young people out there who actually litter give a bad reputation to all of us young people. You never see any sign of the "good guys" because they try to leave a place as undisturbed as when they got there!

Donavonszoo
05-26-2009, 07:08 PM
One of the places I fish is horrible for garbage this year and every time I am out there I gather up a safeway bag or two full of garbage, empty minnow tubs, bottles among other things, Yet the next time I go back its as if I didnt even try to clean the mess. I say shame on the people who dispose of their garbage in a improper way. And cudo's to those who do thier part to make a difference

baitfisher83
05-26-2009, 09:12 PM
i was out at chestermere today and just looking into the shoreline was scary, unfrotunately i dont have waders to go out there and clean it up...although i wish i did so i could retrieve some of the lures i lost..lmao.....i even ended up taking some other's dipstick's garbage home...whoever left it there anyways

Sundancefisher
05-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Litter sucks...

That being said you do not know real litter until the sewer treatment plants has an "emergency" release of raw sewage. When the toilet paper started to pile up on my line and waders one day...I quickly figured it out and got out of the water...

Crap that was crappy!