PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder noise

TimC
05-25-2009, 08:18 AM
I need some advice on my fish finder setup.

i have a very basic finder (Lowrance x50) on my boat transom.

It keeps giving me a very noisy signal (many tiny dots between the bottom and the surface), and often with broken vertical lines across the screen at all speed.

I've tried to adjust the reciever angels but no improvement.

It does show the correct depth but i have yet to see a fish arch with almost 15 hours of use :( (I was catching fish left and right while watching the finder, but still it didn't show any fish arch)

It does this no matter I was at trolling speed or still.

Advice??

OutwardBound
05-25-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't have any advice for you. I have the exact same fish finder with the exact same problem, i have tried playing with all the settings, but haven't had any luck, Looking foward to some advice as well.

I basically see it as a depth, structure, and water temperature gauge.

Dustin

Mantracker
05-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Put your setting down to 84 or it might be 85 any how you probally got it set on the 200 ,and put the fish track on it will show the fish and the depth of fish ,its all in the setting they work great ,allso set your depth and use the zoom to see the bottom half of the lake with zoom on ,or put it on zoom off

thumper
05-25-2009, 10:14 AM
I have the same unit, and the same problems. I thought it might be because my transducer is mounted in silicone on the inside of the plastic hull on my kayak. But it seems it's a common occurance. I'll try your suggestions Mantracker - thx!

TimC
05-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Put your setting down to 84 or it might be 85 any how you probally got it set on the 200 ,and put the fish track on it will show the fish and the depth of fish ,its all in the setting they work great ,allso set your depth and use the zoom to see the bottom half of the lake with zoom on ,or put it on zoom off

the setting you're talking about, is it the frequency?? turn to 83 kHz instead of 200kHz??

I'll give it a try, the manual did say 200 kHz work best for shallow water (lbut you never know)

thanks for the tips.:wave:

AlbertaOutdoorsmen19
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm having the exact same problem with my unit, so i just use the fish ID setting but using the fish ID is not accurate I find. Just wondering if when you have turned your frequency down did it produced arches??

TimC
07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm having the exact same problem with my unit, so i just use the fish ID setting but using the fish ID is not accurate I find. Just wondering if when you have turned your frequency down did it produced arches??

I installed 5 ferrite shields along the transmission cable and it's much better. ;)

I searched the internet and i find interferences are the main reason with the vertical broken lines on the finder.

Now i can see fish arches when i zoom in bottom. :wave:

also, don't expect to see fish arches in less then 15 feet of water when running your main motor. the fish will need to be deaf for you to mark it.

give the ferrite shield a try.

AlbertaOutdoorsmen19
07-10-2009, 03:24 PM
What do the ferrite shields do?? :confused:

TimC
07-10-2009, 04:51 PM
What do the ferrite shields do?? :confused:

ferrite is the little black tube you see at the end of a computer or a camera cord.

it's filter out other electical interferences, google it.:wave:

cribfisher
07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
My lawrance that came with my boat never has worked properly. In the last 2 years I have sent it in twice and am now on my 3rd head unit. Both I sent in were bench tested at lawrance and both tested faulty. I was only able to send them back through the dealer as they don't answer phones, if you try to leave a message the automated phone line sends you back to the begining of the hold cue and at the time online warrenty service was not available in canada. It took 6 weeks after sending it in for a responce that it was indeed faulty and 6 months to get a replacement. In short customer srevice at lawrance is non existant. I have seen similar complaints on other review sites. Am planning on buying a hummingbird.

209x50
07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
The vertical lines you describe are usually a sign of interference or dirty power.

Outcast
07-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I had the same unit on my boat when I bought it. Piece o junk. Installed a Humminbird 788ci combo. problem solved.