PDA

View Full Version : Lac Ste Anne

I-Love-Eyes
05-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Well, we finally got time to put the boat in the water and tried our luck at Lac Ste Anne yesterday.

Went out about 3:30 - 8:00

I caught 3 very nice sized Walleye and 2 small pike and hubby :tongue2:got 1 walleye
:lol:YES!! Mamma still rules!!:lol:

The Walleye are still milking so the bite was rather slow, but fun all the same!!

And...my new Humminbird SI sonar works beautifully...YAHOO!!!
Water temp was about 52 - 54 degrees F and it was a bit windy but sunny.

bsnyder
05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Never tried that lake yet, I heard you have to watch for rockpiles out in the lake so was always leary of loosing my moter.Any big fish?
You sound like my wife , bragging that she always catches the biguns:lol:
Someday it,ll be our turn ( HAHA ):wave:

I-Love-Eyes
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of humps and such--you have to watch your depth. The walleye were around 2-3 lbs in very nice condition Can only keep if you have a draw licence though.
I'd like to meet your wife--sounds like we have a lot in common:D My hubby says it's because he has to drive the boat but I think it's cause I smell better LOL

bsnyder
05-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of humps and such--you have to watch your depth. The walleye were around 2-3 lbs in very nice condition Can only keep if you have a draw licence though.
I'd like to meet your wife--sounds like we have a lot in common:D My hubby says it's because he has to drive the boat but I think it's cause I smell better LOL

You and my wife ( GRACE ) must be related, the same lies come out of her:tongue2:We only practice C/R , speacially the biguns.Have to go to SASK for those.:D

allenford
05-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Is there a walleye draw on Lac Ste Anne?

The Anvil
05-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Actually there is a ZERO limit for pike and walleye on Lac St. Anne.
and to my knowledge (99.9%) there is no current tag program on Lac St. Anne for Walleye.
Pike and eyes are C&R

(straight from the online regs)
Lac Ste. Anne & tributaries & outlet (Sturgeon River)
May 15 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
Apr. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED

I have a cottage out there in West Cove, and in the past few years I have seen an alarming increase of poaching of both Walleye and Pike out of this lake.
I have reported Dozens of Poachers on Lac St. Anne over the years to the report a poacher and have only seen personally a hand full get caught, kinda sad when you go out fishing, and you are on patrol. (although I am working towards being a conservation officer :tongue2:)

Just trying to do my part to keep the future of these waters alive for younger generations to enjoy.

Hope you and your Hubby had a great time,

If you have ever been through the Narrows into West cove side, of the lake there are some decent spots for eyes around Farming Island.:D

Cheers!

allenford
05-25-2009, 04:24 PM
You are right Anvil, I believe Lac Ste Anne became a C&R on eye and jack from last year. I have fished there a few times, lots of small eyes and yes, I did see some poachers as well...

~Octane~
05-25-2009, 04:44 PM
I really wish who ever sets limits in this province had even a speck of common sense. The way this province manages lakes is a complete joke. I was SURE St. Anne used to have a draw system, thought it was Newell Pigeon and St anne....anyway's I'm not one to go buy tags so I can keep one or 2, not my thing I'll go to a lake up north that are relatively unfished where I can keep some eyes.

As for St Anne....I would never fish that trash lake until those people who set limits get their heads out of their you-know-what. St anne is overrun with small skinny weak walleye (mabey once in a blue moon u'll catch one or 2 half decent ones), same as the pike. The perch are pretty much gone there now because they cant find enough food due to the more aggressive walleye in explosive numbers. Only reason the whitefish numbers are ok is because they eat bugs on the surface, and in winter pick things off weeds a walleye never would. Why I ask?? Are they 'lacking upstairs' to realize this??? Do they think with zero limits the walleye will all of a sudden start growing huge??? Are they striving for a lake jam packed with 14in walleye?? Really baffles me. Pigeon was the same until they AT LEAST put a draw system on it...which I dont think is enough anyways. They need to open it (and similar lakes like St Anne) to the whole public for a week or 2 every year, with a set number of walleye you can keep. Surely they have the technology and the minds to figure out the right numbers (anglers per day, walleye in the lake) in order to set the right length of days you can keep and how many each person can keep. This way the lake doesn't get fished out quickly (which will happen on pigeon even if it's a one walleye per day limit for the year because of how many people fish it)

Oh well, I guess i'll just keep fishing quality lakes and let the mindless people run St anne as well as others into the gutter.

The Anvil
05-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Ever since the Wab oil spill there has been a sudden increase in activity on Lac Ste. Anne in regards to anglers and outdoor enthusiasts.

The eyes are doing well, which is a good thing. How ever the pike are stunted and on the smaller side, nothing new here, been heading that way for years now. As for the Perch... eye food, the Walters of Lac Ste. Anne are eating them before I can..lol

Hey everyone,

If you are out fishing or just out and you notice someone poaching on any of Alberta's waters follow three basic steps.

1) Without getting yourself in "hot" water, or harms way, survey and capture the poachers in the act, best thing to do is take a few pics if you can.

2) Not only are pictures good, but a license plate goes that bit step further this will give you more info to pass on to the proper authorities who will deal with poachers. Just make sure it is the right license plate, if you can hang around until they are ready to leave, to be sure that it is indeed the poacher's license plate you are recording (POACHING IS ILLEGAL and has punishments for the Crime.)

3) Now, you have picture evidence, you have a license plate. That should be good enough, but never is. (I don't recommend 100% the next part as it is your own safety at hand, you just never know these days)
I don't know how many times I personally have gone over and spoken with suspected poachers and have asked them what the had caught, you will get most answers from "Oh nothing" to the honest truth, some people just don't read the regs.
Continue and follow up your findings and report the poachers.
http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/tasks/sites/default/assets/Image/03Programs/05ReportAPoacherAndCompensation/rap.jpg the Report A Poacher (RAP) Program provides Albertans with an opportunity to help protect Alberta’s wildlife, fisheries and the habitat in which they live by providing a toll-free phone number (1-800-642-3800) in operation 24 hours a day, seven days a week to report suspected illegal activity.

I have actually had quite a fair bit of people return fish to the water once The Anvil has given them a pep talk about poaching and the fact that there is picture evidence of them in the act, and of course I will elaborate on the fines and penalties to some degree.
This is not recommended to all as there have been times where I have been threatened, followed home and so on.

Cheers!

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread

Rant over!

~Octane~
05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Ever since the Wab oil spill there has been a sudden increase in activity on Lac Ste. Anne in regards to anglers and outdoor enthusiasts.

The eyes are doing well, which is a good thing. How ever the pike are stunted and on the smaller side, nothing new here, been heading that way for years now. As for the Perch... eye food, the Walters of Lac Ste. Anne are eating them before I can..lol

Wow. Eyes doing good? You like fishing for 14in walleyes? The pike are stunted because there are probably 100 walleye per pike there. How can they keep up with them when theres so many stealing all the food??? Lakes only have so much food man. And show me these 'walters' of St Anne...any pics? A 14in walleye can easily eat a 6inch perch. All common sense IMO.

The Anvil
05-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Wow. Eyes doing good? You like fishing for 14in walleyes? The pike are stunted because there are probably 100 walleye per pike there. How can they keep up with them when theres so many stealing all the food??? Lakes only have so much food man. And show me these 'walters' of St Anne...any pics? A 14in walleye can easily eat a 6inch perch. All common sense IMO.

As for St Anne....I would never fish that trash lake until those people who set limits get their heads out of their you-know-what. St anne is overrun with small skinny weak walleye (mabey once in a blue moon u'll catch one or 2 half decent ones),

Yes you are indeed on the right page ~Octane~,

I said they are doing well, I never said that there were any monsters in the lake, i was referring to the population of Walleye in Ste. Anne.
Overall yeah there are dung loads of Small Skinny eyes with the odd decent one in there. So in the sense of "doing well" the population is doing well, there are MANY eyes in Ste. Anne. As for the size of the eyes, yeah there is some head hidden indeed, and something needs to be done about it.

I personally enjoy fishing in general, and don't get the chance to head up north, or to many other walleye lakes, but when it comes to a day of fishing nothing beats 60+ fish days all C&R even if they are smaller ones.

The better half is yet to taste walleye, so maybe a trip in in order.

I am well aware of the pike population being stunted, and the ratio of pike to walleye being close to 1:100 as you stated, which IMO is pretty darn close.
You make a valid point, and yes there are MANY Walleye in the 14 inch range with the odd bigger eye. The perch population has dwindled cause of the walleye. I know that the lake only has so much food.

As for pics here are a few; I honestly don't take many pics as there really is no point...lol

The wife with her first eye from Lac.Ste Anne, lol for size reference, my wife conceals a Double H bust:lol:
Her eye was over the 14,
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/SSA52178.jpg

Here is me yelling at an eye who bit my wife...lol as she was removing the jig!
I had to do it. As you can see this one was definitely under/around the 14inch mark so yeah.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/IceAnvil/SSA52185.jpg

The above pics are from last year.

~Octane~
05-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Nice pics. The first one is definatley a good one for St anne. You should try a trip or 2...way less people, way quieter, and some real quality fishing to be had. Plus you can keep some, usually 3 as either the lake itself isn't listed or walleye isn't listed under that lake, or of course they are both listed and the limit is 2 or 3. Nothing beats a nice shore lunch on the shore of a relatively unfished lake. Key is to find these places, but there are TONS. Some simple exploring at lakes that are off the beaten path can produce some beautiful fish. I sure know what you mean about just getting out. But ya makes ya wonder when the 'proffesional biologists' will figure it out. Tight lines!

Edit: There are few lakes that have walleye where they arent listed and even fewer lakes that arent listed so your best bet is to find a lake with a 2 or 3 limit that you never hear of, there are lots.

I-Love-Eyes
05-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I believe that there was some sort of special licence for keeping walleye from LSA implemented last year?? I will have to do a bit of looking to find where I saw that--I'll keep you posted.

Personally, I don't really care how big or small the walleye were--they were fun to catch anyway. Also, I thought that they looked very healthy and that is a good thing. Only time I "need" a "big" one is if I'm in a tournament

Lac Ste Anne will never be more than a C&R lake because of the proximity to Edmonton and the amount of angling pressure it gets. If they were to open up this lake, it wouldn't even have a minnow left in it. (Was told this by a CO officer a couple of years ago)

~Octane~
05-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I believe that there was some sort of special licence for keeping walleye from LSA implemented last year?? I will have to do a bit of looking to find where I saw that--I'll keep you posted.

Personally, I don't really care how big or small the walleye were--they were fun to catch anyway. Also, I thought that they looked very healthy and that is a good thing. Only time I "need" a "big" one is if I'm in a tournament

Lac Ste Anne will never be more than a C&R lake because of the proximity to Edmonton and the amount of angling pressure it gets. If they were to open up this lake, it wouldn't even have a minnow left in it. (Was told this by a CO officer a couple of years ago)

Yes I know. Thats why they should open it for a week or a few days or something...to cut them down. Like hunting, If you open the season all year round nothing would be left, but by keeping it open a certain time it allows a select harvest. It's either an average season (the period of time most lakes are open for) walleye limit or a zero limit. Can't there be a middle ground??

I-Love-Eyes
05-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Yes I know. Thats why they should open it for a week or a few days or something...to cut them down. Like hunting, If you open the season all year round nothing would be left, but by keeping it open a certain time it allows a select harvest. It's either an average season (the period of time most lakes are open for) walleye limit or a zero limit. Can't there be a middle ground??Yes, but in Alberta we have some knuckleheads in the Gov't. We need to reassess why Albertans get to keep the big spawning fish and throw back the small ones.

I say keep a smaller fish and throw back the big ones.

~Octane~
05-25-2009, 07:50 PM
[/COLOR]Yes, but in Alberta we have some knuckleheads in the Gov't. We need to reassess why Albertans get to keep the big spawning fish and throw back the small ones.

I say keep a smaller fish and throw back the big ones.

Ya exactly. Simple common sense. It's almost like their trying to screw things up. There should actually be slot limits....to allow the smaller fish to get smart and the big spawning fish to spawn. Mind you, IMO a 10 pound pike is a better spawner than the 15+ pounders. And who keeps a pike under 63cm anyways? Say pike until their 63cm need to be released, keep them 63-to say 80cm, 80cm-100cm need to be released, and say the 100cm+ pike you can keep 1 a year or something (for mounting or w/e). I dont think the 100cm+ would get fished out because their too smart for the average angler. Those are just numbers that popped into my head without really looking at a tape measure. Make that mandatory across AB. If they really want to get fancy, hand out cheap measuring tapes with the fishing regs when you buy your license. If someone can argue what I said please do, because in all honesty I don't know at what size their the best spawners at.

happy perch fisher
05-25-2009, 08:46 PM
They tried opening up long lake by boyle for 1 over 50cm. About 5 years ago. All that happened was everything over 50 was removed. The slot size would never work because nothing would make it to protected side. Opening it up for maybe a long weeked could work in theory. But are you guys willing to deal with 1000+ plus boats there and 12+ hour waits to launch your boat. Also are you going to be happy with the hoarding of people, garbage, crime and other things. They would also probably need every single f&w officier there to try and keep control on the situation. Also you guys gotta realize that the overharvesting of the bigger perch did way more damage then the walleye did. All the walleye did was remove the small perch and with very few big perch left there was no way for them to replenish the numbers. Trust me those big pike are going to get caught. You have hundreds of guys fishing for them and there bound to bite something. Lac ste anne is also getting pouched heavly like most other lakes.

~Octane~
05-25-2009, 09:26 PM
And the last person I want to hear from about this matter is Happy Perch Child:lol: Man u sure dont know much, have you takin your outdoor ed class yet?? For 1...I was talking about opening several lakes at the same time for a week with a limit of 1 as opposed to a long weekend where you can keep 2 or 3. That way you spread out the 'hoards' of people. Also, the hoards wouldn't be as big as you think....considering a dozen+ lakes would be opened. Not everybody will flock to a lake to keep a walleye or 2 a week. And for 2....I would open it for small walleye...not the big ones. That way if the small ones do take a beating which wouldn't happen if they manage it right, so what??? The spawning fish will produce more.

As for your fishing out being the main reason for the lack of big perch, your IQ level must be the same as your age:lol: because thats not possible on a lake like that, so quickly. How many people do you see in the middle of the lake fishing where the perch are???? Not many. And bigger walleye and especially the pike will easily eat a big perch. Since you have so much knowledge, why dont you post pic's of those big perch before it got fished out??

Or mabey the disappearence of the perch is because you and your dad chummed them all in with eggs and kept them, wondering where they all went:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bsnyder
05-26-2009, 08:39 AM
I think most of you guts are on the right track, slot sizes do work!!!!!!!!!!!
Just check out Sask for proof!!!!!!!! Tobin lake has a healthy population of fishermen and 60-70 cm eyes are quite commen.Slave used to have a lot of over 60s but now u are lucky to get a 50 and lots of 40s.We have to throw the biguns back!!!!!!!!!! If you must keep a couple we should keep 40s, they are better to eat anyways.
I was asked for a boost at Calling and was more than willing untill I saw the fellow had a 11+pd eye drying out in the back of his boat.He was going to eat such a beutifull fish!!!!!!!!Why not throw it back and eat a 3pdr?:huh:
I refused to boost him, ****ed me off, soon wont be any biguns left in that lake. ITS A SHAME!!!!!!!!:mad2:
ALBERTA NEEDS TO SMARTEN UP!! I LUV fishing and am proud to throw back biguns for our future generations:)

I-Love-Eyes
05-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Happy--

Slot sizes DO work!! Look at the fishery in Ontario--they use a slot size management plan and their fishery is recovered way better than Alberta. They have bigger and healthier walleye populations. The thing is, in Alberta, in order for a slot size management plan to work, the lake would have to be closed completely first for a few years in order for the fish population to replenish itself. IMO

BSnyder-- X10 I agree fully!!!

bsnyder
05-26-2009, 08:51 AM
THANKYOU, wish our goverment would read some of this

I-Love-Eyes
05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I think the Gov't should listen more the the men and women who are out there in the "wilds"!! We are the ones using the resource and we are the ones who see where the problems are. If Gov't listened more to the people, and looked at other provinces' practices, our Alberta resources would be in way better shape!!

bsnyder
05-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I think the Gov't should listen more the the men and women who are out there in the "wilds"!! We are the ones using the resource and we are the ones who see where the problems are. If Gov't listened more to the people, and looked at other provinces' practices, our Alberta resources would be in way better shape!!

:innocent:AMEN, well said:innocent:

happy perch fisher
05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
And the last person I want to hear from about this matter is Happy Perch Child:lol: Man u sure dont know much, have you takin your outdoor ed class yet?? For 1...I was talking about opening several lakes at the same time for a week with a limit of 1 as opposed to a long weekend where you can keep 2 or 3. That way you spread out the 'hoards' of people. Also, the hoards wouldn't be as big as you think....considering a dozen+ lakes would be opened. Not everybody will flock to a lake to keep a walleye or 2 a week. And for 2....I would open it for small walleye...not the big ones. That way if the small ones do take a beating which wouldn't happen if they manage it right, so what??? The spawning fish will produce more.

As for your fishing out being the main reason for the lack of big perch, your IQ level must be the same as your age:lol: because thats not possible on a lake like that, so quickly. How many people do you see in the middle of the lake fishing where the perch are???? Not many. And bigger walleye and especially the pike will easily eat a big perch. Since you have so much knowledge, why dont you post pic's of those big perch before it got fished out??

Or mabey the disappearence of the perch is because you and your dad chummed them all in with eggs and kept them, wondering where they all went:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Which 12 lakes? Theres maybe 5 that could sustain a couple weeks harvest without devasting them around the city. Also if u fished alot of these lakes the average fish in most of these lakes are under 50cm. Also keeping a walleye under 38cm is just a waste. There arn't many big spawners left in most of these lakes. mostly do to pouchers. So say its 1 under 50cms. People are going to keep everything in 45-50 range. These fish are doing most of the spawning. So your effectivly removing most of the spawners. Also you must be a idiot to even think i meant opening it up for 2 or 3. If lakes like slave and calling are taking a beating with a limit of 1 what do u think it will do to a lake that less then 10 percent the size of them and way closer to major population zone.

Lol your oviously a rookie. Why did the perch just disapear in pigion lac ste lac la nonne and other lakes so fast. Walleye ussually didn't eat perch over 6 inches. Essicapally the 15-18inch ones in most of the lakes. When u have a couple hundred guys on a lake everyday fishing for perch they get removed extrermly quickly. Pigion went from the average being 9-10 in 1999 to around 5-7inches in 2003 and very rare to catch one smaller. 2004 the perch where only left in a few pockets in the lake. Mostly around 8-9. 2005 they where sitting in one pocket of the lakes and u where lucky to catch a couple. 2006-2008 there where still a few hanging around but where old big perch in one deep pocket. 2009 very few if any remain. This happened at numerours lakes. Lac la nonne it happened late 90's. Lac ste anne was just a bit later on. Perch just don't dissapear. The big perch would still be there if people wouldn't harvest them. Theres still some big perch left in long lake even through the perch population coplased 5-6 years ago. They are the smartest perch probably in alberta but thats why there still there. If these perch would bite your hook they would be gone. Perch didn't just disspear in 2 years. Perch and walleye where living for long periods time together before we started harvesting them. Also how many big pike and big walleye u see coming out of lac ste anne and pigion lately. Almost all of the big pike get kept and there are very few walleye over 22inches in both of those lakes.

Also the guys that are comparing alberta to sask and ontario. You sould really look how many lakes to fisherman we have. I think its like 600to1 for alberta. While ontario and sask are less then 10. Also you sould look at southbuck lake its the closest lake where u can keep a walleye. Its about hour and 45 minutes away. Most of the walleye being kept out of south buck are bewteen 43-45cm. With almost none making it over 50cm. So if southbuck which is a further away then most of these other lakes. Can't sustain a basically slot size harvest what chance does other lakes have that are closer.

Or mabey the disappearence of the perch is because you and your dad chummed them all in with eggs and kept them, wondering where they all went

Lol your the one resorting to insults because of your weak argument. Yet you call me childish.

~Octane~
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Lol just keep rambling man, let me grab another beer and laugh. I got to about 2 sentances in and said **** it, not even worth my time:lol::lol::lol: Just keep saying to yourself it's all because of the 'pouchers', like yourself who illegally chum because you cant catch otherwise.

goober
05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Lol just keep rambling man, let me grab another beer and laugh. I got to about 2 sentances in and said **** it, not even worth my time:lol::lol::lol: Just keep saying to yourself it's all because of the 'pouchers', like yourself who illegally chum because you cant catch otherwise.

You should read his post Octane and pretend he did not write it. He is correct on a lot of things. I agree with you that a slot size or season of some kind is needed on some lakes. Problem is that people would take advantage of that and it would devastate the fishery. Slot size in a lot of lakes would not work as the Walleye are stunting if not stunted already! I have been fishing Isle Lake for over 25 years now and have seen the good and the bad there. I have watched the Perch get over harvested out of that lake by guy's taking 15 a day everyday of the week! Add to that the Walleye boom in the lake and it was all over for the Perch. Now there are too many Walleye with not enough food so they stop growing. They should have put in a slot size about 2-3 years after they closed it, instead they left it closed and let the population get totally out of control.

~Octane~
05-26-2009, 07:10 PM
You should read his post Octane and pretend he did not write it. He is correct on a lot of things. I agree with you that a slot size or season of some kind is needed on some lakes. Problem is that people would take advantage of that and it would devastate the fishery. Slot size in a lot of lakes would not work as the Walleye are stunting if not stunted already! I have been fishing Isle Lake for over 25 years now and have seen the good and the bad there. I have watched the Perch get over harvested out of that lake by guy's taking 15 a day everyday of the week! Add to that the Walleye boom in the lake and it was all over for the Perch. Now there are too many Walleye with not enough food so they stop growing. They should have put in a slot size about 2-3 years after they closed it, instead they left it closed and let the population get totally out of control.

Ya I dont know man, reading his posts just seems to give me a splitting headache:lol: I'm aware of over harvesting but for example the Lake Isle perch suffered from a brutal winter kill I think 2 winters back? The winter it got killed off I was fishing it early ice season and was doing fantastic on 13+in perch. But some of the things he is saying just doesn't make sense to me, as well as most others on this board. He claims Hasse was fished out months ago, I was there a couple days ago and caught a limit of 11in+ perch....don't bother with those lakes very often but when I do I'll keep the perch.

As for the walleye in Isle, mabey i'm wrong because I don't read his posts but isn't he saying keep the limit zero on walleye in lakes like that for fear of 'the hoards of people fishing them out in a weekend'?

pdfish
05-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Theres still some big perch left in long lake even through the perch population coplased 5-6 years ago.

Collapsed????? We were there this winter and saw hundreds of perch on the camera and most of the ones that were caught were the better side of 12 inches. You really need to get your facts straight on a couple of things.

~Octane~
05-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Collapsed????? We were there this winter and saw hundreds of perch on the camera and most of the ones that were caught were the better side of 12 inches. You really need to get your facts straight on a couple of things.

X2

happy perch fisher
05-26-2009, 07:35 PM

If u read my post thats what i was saying. what i meant by coplase is that none of them where small ones. Those are same fish from 5-6 years ago. Theres no young ones jioning the numbers. I know your exagerating on the amount u seen and i doubt u caught more then 2. I classify a lake collapsed when there numbers are dropping and there no new perch jioning. I guess u call it collapsed when there all gone.

happy perch fisher
05-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Yah u got nothing left to say. Go ahead and cry now.

happy perch fisher
05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Ya I dont know man, reading his posts just seems to give me a splitting headache:lol: I'm aware of over harvesting but for example the Lake Isle perch suffered from a brutal winter kill I think 2 winters back? The winter it got killed off I was fishing it early ice season and was doing fantastic on 13+in perch. But some of the things he is saying just doesn't make sense to me, as well as most others on this board. He claims Hasse was fished out months ago, I was there a couple days ago and caught a limit of 11in+ perch....don't bother with those lakes very often but when I do I'll keep the perch.

As for the walleye in Isle, mabey i'm wrong because I don't read his posts but isn't he saying keep the limit zero on walleye in lakes like that for fear of 'the hoards of people fishing them out in a weekend'?

Lets see these pictures. Because your the only person claiming that your catching 11+inch perch out of there still in great numbers.

~Octane~
05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Lets see these pictures. Because your the only person claiming that your catching 11+inch perch out of there still in great numbers.

I aint showing you ***** little boy.

~Octane~
05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Yah u got nothing left to say. Go ahead and cry now.

Every hear the saying never argue with someone that 'lacks upstairs' because you will always lose....they will bring you down to their level and beat you at their own game. Ya, apply that to you.

happy perch fisher
05-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Every hear the saying never argue with someone that 'lacks upstairs' because you will always lose....they will bring you down to their level and beat you at their own game. Ya, apply that to you.

Your the one that started throwing insults out because your had no argument.

Just proves your full of **** and make up lies to sound better.

~Octane~
05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Your the one that started throwing insults out because your had no argument.

Just proves your full of **** and make up lies to sound better.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Albertabowhunter
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Heres my solution, open all the lakes, allow people to fish them out completely, then when everything is gone there will be noone to blame but ourselves. It would also save us alot of money, you wouldnt have to by anymore fishing gear or boats. The lakes would become less polluted, the litter and noise would be less.

LOL, JK!

goober
05-26-2009, 08:24 PM

There has been a few winter kills at Isle over the years but the perch for some reason did not get hit that hard. Almost all the fish found on shore after the last kill were Burbot, Pike and Suckers. The Perch devastation happened just before the last kill. Don't get me wrong you can still catch perch there, it is just tougher to find decent ones. People go home from there now with their limit in 6 inch Perch. I have seen people leave with a limit in the morning and then right back out again later in the day for another limit. I think what HPF is saying about the slot size is that the people of Alberta are the biggest threat to the fish of our lakes. If they open up lakes close to the city the old boys club of Alberta fishing will be keeping as many as they can for as long as they can. I hope they figure something out soon. I started fishing at Isle as a little boy and would love to pass that on to my kids someday. The question is what do they do with these lakes without leading to mass destruction.

Albertabowhunter
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
OBTW

THanks for the update and the story on your trip....

Great pics,

Thank you!

pdfish
05-27-2009, 07:06 AM
If u read my post thats what i was saying. what i meant by coplase is that none of them where small ones. Those are same fish from 5-6 years ago. Theres no young ones jioning the numbers. I know your exagerating on the amount u seen and i doubt u caught more then 2. I classify a lake collapsed when there numbers are dropping and there no new perch jioning. I guess u call it collapsed when there all gone.

Actually, I'm not exaggerating about the numbers and yes, there were lots of small perch mixed in with the bunch. And yes, we caught well more than two. I'm done arguing with you as I've done in previous threads, because it is readily apparent that you are incredibly ignorant and bullheaded and once you make your mind up, thats the way it is, regardless of facts. Here's a tip, spend less time complaining about the fishing and get out and learn how to, maybe you'll see that things aren't as bad as you think.

I-Love-Eyes
05-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Went fishing again last night for 3 hours on Lac Ste Anne. Launched by West Cove and fished near the island. I caught a small Pike. Hubby caught three Walleye -- the biggest one was 52cm -- a very nice fish.
We have fished that lake for five years now and every year the fish sizes are getting bigger. When we first started, the fish were quite small, about 20 - 30 cm
I think the C/R policy is working on this lake...if only there was a way to ban the poachers!!!!

FiveO
05-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Went fishing again last night for 3 hours on Lac Ste Anne. Launched by West Cove and fished near the island. I caught a small Pike. Hubby caught three Walleye -- the biggest one was 52cm -- a very nice fish.
We have fished that lake for five years now and every year the fish sizes are getting bigger. When we first started, the fish were quite small, about 20 - 30 cm
I think the C/R policy is working on this lake...if only there was a way to ban the poachers!!!!

I dont think the CNR is working. I fished the lake for 30 years and it is in a bad way. Before the closure there were decent perch, Walleye and pike now all small walleye very few pike and next to no perch. Open the bloody lake up for a walleye or two and let the rest of the species have a fighting chance.

bsnyder
05-27-2009, 09:09 AM

:huh: you admited that your hubby outfished you, WOW (haha):lol::lol::lol:

I-Love-Eyes
05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I dont think the CNR is working. I fished the lake for 30 years and it is in a bad way. Before the closure there were decent perch, Walleye and pike now all small walleye very few pike and next to no perch. Open the bloody lake up for a walleye or two and let the rest of the species have a fighting chance.

:confused:I'm not sure how to respond to this...You think taking out the Walleye will increase the sizes of the fish??? What about the Pike...they also eat Perch. Should we take out the Pike too???

Maybe all the Perch are going into gill nets.....
or maybe the Perch limit should be reduced as well to help the numbers recover

There have been studies done that prove that if you take out all the big fish, they will genetically adapt to not grow big in the subsequent generations. IMO that is why we don't find big fish in Alberta anymore..because anglers take the bigger fish as per Alberta Sportfishing Regulations

That is why we need changes to the regulations..either to slot sizes or to take smaller fish and leave the big ones as was discussed in previous posts

bsnyder
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
:confused:I'm not sure how to respond to this...You think taking out the Walleye will increase the sizes of the fish??? What about the Pike...they also eat Perch. Should we take out the Pike too???

There have been studies done that prove that if you take out all the big fish, they will genetically adapt to not grow big in the subsequent generations. IMO that is why we don't find big fish in Alberta anymore..because anglers take the bigger fish as per Alberta Sportfishing Regulations

That is why we need changes to the regulations..either to slot sizes or to take smaller fish and leave the big ones as was discussed in previous posts

:wave:You are so right:wave:Most of the guys above are on the right page but WOW:tongue2: some of these guys are wacked:huh:first time on this forum and some of these guys make me wonder:huh:Dont we just want to do what is right for our wonderful sport and for children???
Keep the faith:innocent:(HAHA)

Dark
05-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I have fished all the local lakes for almost 35 years. Back in the day only the guys who got up early or fished late and new the honey holes caught walleye and some times got skunked the fishing pressure was no were near what it is today, yet you still had to work for your fish
Today if you don't catch a walleye evey 1/2 hour people cry collapsed fishery. I don't know the solution, but I personally think all the local lakes could stand a limited walleye limit.

I-Love-Eyes
05-27-2009, 11:27 AM
I have fished all the local lakes for almost 35 years. Back in the day only the guys who got up early or fished late and new the honey holes caught walleye and some times got skunked the fishing pressure was no were near what it is today, yet you still had to work for your fish
Today if you don't catch a walleye evey 1/2 hour people cry collapsed fishery. I don't know the solution, but I personally think all the local lakes could stand a limited walleye limit.

But where do you draw the line? Do you limit it to one fish over a certain length or under or just take the first one you catch no mater the size? If every fisherman took one fish out of Lac Ste Anne, there would be nothing left because of the immense pressure that lake has.
By the way, I am not calling "collapsed" on that lake...as I stated before, I think the populations are coming back and it is because it is a C/R lake right now.

I-Love-Eyes
05-27-2009, 11:30 AM
:huh: you admited that your hubby outfished you, WOW (haha):lol::lol::lol:

:wave: Yeah, it does happen once in a blue moon:cry::lol::p Have to let him have some glory once in a while:lol::innocent:

FiveO
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Very well put. The old rule was 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish.

FiveO
05-27-2009, 01:41 PM

I know first hand the Walleye were of better average size prior to the closure. Pike were very plentifull and some real nice ones. Perch fishing was great. Walleye have over run the lake. How long have you fished it? Not long im guessing you thought a draw was available must not follow it very close?

happy perch fisher
05-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Push for draws on it. Slot sizes will not come into play there not even considering them because they know what will happen. The only lakes slot sizes could and sould go in effect on are lakes like slave and calling and a couple other northern ones.

happy perch fisher
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Actually, I'm not exaggerating about the numbers and yes, there were lots of small perch mixed in with the bunch. And yes, we caught well more than two. I'm done arguing with you as I've done in previous threads, because it is readily apparent that you are incredibly ignorant and bullheaded and once you make your mind up, thats the way it is, regardless of facts. Here's a tip, spend less time complaining about the fishing and get out and learn how to, maybe you'll see that things aren't as bad as you think.

Ok man whatever you say. Even through i have'nt heard of anyone catching any perch under 8 inches out of there for the past 4 years. Apparently your still catching tons of them in great numbers. I know your full of bs. So heres some advice if your going post **** like this have a dated picture showing them at the lake. Its always funny when u guys try to make a fool out of me with no evidence and nothing more then bs.

I-Love-Eyes
05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Previously, I stated that I thought I read that there was a draw licence for Lac Ste Anne. Apparently, there WAS talk about including LSA in the pilot projects implementing draw licences on Alberta lakes. The following quote is from SRD 2006 in FAQ section
http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/fishingalberta/newfishinglicence.aspx
"Lac Ste. Anne was not included in the pilot program because SRD wanted to include only fisheries with consistent strong public support in this pilot year. The support for Lac Ste. Anne was mixed. Additional angler use information (creel survey) and walleye population data will be collected from this fishery this summer and fall. "

Also, I think that this was discussed on another forum and that is why I thought that there was a special fish harvest licence for LSA

Five-0;
Never presume that just because you have fished for many years that gives you superior knowledge to anyone else.:mad: I think the lake is doing OK and you don't so we will have to agree to disagree

FiveO
05-28-2009, 08:20 PM
If you think a 2-4 lbs walleye is a good size walleye then your right we wont agree. I have put a ton of time on that lake both in winter and summer I do know one thing the lake is in a bad way. I have caught and released hundreds of 5-9 lbs walters from the lake over the years and not a big one for the last 10 HUMM very odd your probably right im not looking or fishing hard enough. If you have a desire to get schooled in the art of walleye fishing let me know I will help you out.:lol::lol::lol:

I-Love-Eyes
05-29-2009, 12:05 AM
If you think a 2-4 lbs walleye is a good size walleye then your right we wont agree. I have put a ton of time on that lake both in winter and summer I do know one thing the lake is in a bad way. I have caught and released hundreds of 5-9 lbs walters from the lake over the years and not a big one for the last 10 HUMM very odd your probably right im not looking or fishing hard enough. If you have a desire to get schooled in the art of walleye fishing let me know I will help you out.:lol::lol::lol:

Don't think I need to be "schooled" and If you want to `teach` me , I am always open minded. I simply stated that we caught a 52 cm walleye which, in my opinion, hasn't been seen in LSA for quite a while. Most are around 40 cm.

Yes, Walleye eat perch, and yes, there is a drop in perch numbers. but when the gov't rules that the walleye limit is zero and the perch limit is still 15 per, it stands to reason that walleye and man are going to reduce the amount of perch available to both..man and walleye. If this is the case, then either the perch limit should be reduced or the walleye should be opened up. If,as you say, the walleye are overtaking the lake (which I don`t believe) I say...make every species on the lake C&R and let mother nature take over. She has ways of managing our resources which are far superior to any government interference.

That being said...I think that poaching and native fishing on this lake are the biggest problem it is facing at this point in time

I still think, and won't change my beliefs, unless you can convince me otherwise, that C/R and/or taking smaller fish will benefit the fishery.

Keeping the big ones only convices the fish to produce smaller ones (genetic adaptation)--it`s a matter of survival of the fittest.

30 years ago or whatever, there was not near the angling pressure there is today, and that is something you need to factor in.

bsnyder
05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
[/COLOR]

Don't think I need to be "schooled" and If you want to `teach` me , I am always open minded. I simply stated that we caught a 52 cm walleye which, in my opinion, hasn't been seen in LSA for quite a while. Most are around 40 cm.

Yes, Walleye eat perch, and yes, there is a drop in perch numbers. but when the gov't rules that the walleye limit is zero and the perch limit is still 15 per, it stands to reason that walleye and man are going to reduce the amount of perch available to both..man and walleye. If this is the case, then either the perch limit should be reduced or the walleye should be opened up. If,as you say, the walleye are overtaking the lake (which I don`t believe) I say...make every species on the lake C&R and let mother nature take over. She has ways of managing our resources which are far superior to any government interference.

That being said...I think that poaching and native fishing on this lake are the biggest problem it is facing at this point in time

I still think, and won't change my beliefs, unless you can convince me otherwise, that C/R and/or taking smaller fish will benefit the fishery.

Keeping the big ones only convices the fish to produce smaller ones (genetic adaptation)--it`s a matter of survival of the fittest.

30 years ago or whatever, there was not near the angling pressure there is today, and that is something you need to factor in.

:wave:I TOTALY AGREE, keep the faith haha:wave:

live2bout
05-31-2009, 10:56 AM
No doubt walleye closure at Lac St anne has resulted in:

-drastic drop in numbers and size of pike
-drastic increase in numbers of walleye

I believe that Alberta has to move to slot limits to maintain and improve walleye fisheries. I know slot limits won't work in Alberta without increased enforcement, just as now us law-abiding fishermen protect the resource for the betterment of those who don't care to follow the law and abuse it.

I would like to see Alberta follow some of the other western provinces in giving large fines for infractions. Word gets around that it isn't worth it, we all know odds are against getting caught 1000-1 but if its gonna cost you thousands of dollars then we will see this behavior change in many (some will never change).

Fishing and Hunting are my passions and I will gladly follow the rules. I would like to believe the rules are sensible and will help improve or maintain populations. I would like to see fish and wildlife department given enough resources to give those who won't follow the rules fear they will get caught or better yet fines and equipment seizures.

I-Love-Eyes
05-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Amen to the fine increases!! The problem lies in the fact that there are just not enough enforcement staff out there to monitor all the lakes and to catch the poachers and other law breakers. Someone on another post stated that until we outdoorsmen and women start to make a lot more noise, the government just doesn't feel obligated to put any more resources toward catching the abusers of our environment. And...the problem is not just with fisheries. It is also with hunting, OHV's and camping etc.

I-Love-Eyes
05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
We were out camping and fishing this weekend. Our camping neighbors had a tackle box stolen from their campsite. While we were out fishing, some jack*** came whizzing up to us and asked if we had seen another boat. We answered him and then he took off across the rear of our boat right over our fishing lines. He now has 350 yards of braided superline in his prop. Stupid jerk.