PDA

View Full Version : Travers Res ROCKS? any info welcome.

godziuk
05-25-2009, 11:53 AM
heading to the res, never been before and i have a 17.5 ft Larson fish/ski. are there any natural/ man made sturcture to worry about? also any tips on spots are welcomed. thanks for your time. (remember, leave the wilderness how you found it and report poaching)

floppychicken
05-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about structure, I've never run into anything on that reservoir.. even when it's been really low. There are a few outcroppings and little islands on the extreme WEST side of the finger by the Dam and such, but nothing major as far as I know.

Crawling Valley is about the worst I've run into.... but others here may have more detailed information and if so, we'd likely all benefit from more info.....

I've had some pretty good success off the point on the very south side, of the 'Bay' (if you were to look directly across from that point, you'd see the spillway...waaaay on the other side).

We've also had some pretty good success trolling the tops of the weeds in about 15 feet or so of water from the EAST side of the bay starting just south of 'Little Bow Community Boat Launch, right on up the EAST side, around the 'Bible Thumping Camp' and then just pass the spillway.

We'd then make a nice big arc out in the middle of the spillway and come back the same way and hit some nice ledges with decent sized eye's and good sized Pike. Rattlin' Raps, Husky Jerks seem to work best... Also, find a good pocket of weeds in and around those ledges and hover around them and you'll pull out some really nice fish using Worms, Minnows and Soft baits that look like crawfish !

Cheers,

/FC...

nicemustang
05-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, night crawlers as bait works wonders on some of weed bed and ledges. You can also go in 32-35 FOW trolling around the dam with bottom bouncers. We've had good luck there in June-July.

As far as rocks, watch out for wind changes and the new spillway. If you manuever around the spillway, you'll find a hole and it's pretty quick to figure out where the fish will be. But they've put lots of rocks out to create the stucture of the spillway, and gets shallow fast. So just be careful around there. Otherwise, here is a link to the map of the lake, there are no spots to worry about.

http://srd.alberta.ca/fieldoffices/prairies/fisheriesmanagement/bathymetrymapscolour.aspx

WayneChristie
05-25-2009, 07:46 PM
thanks for that link mustang! got a few of my favorites listed there.