PDA

View Full Version : Cold lake in july??

bigkid6.7
05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Thinking about spending the frist two weeks of july at cold lake. Just wanted to know how the fishing is that time of year i do have downriggers on the boat. The other thing i want to know is what the camp ground is like the wife is coming and our 1 year old is there parks and stuff to do other then fishing i gusse i can't spend the hole time on the lake LOL.

-JR-
05-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Camp ground is very nice .Booked full every weekend.frist loop has power ,second loop has showers and so on .hard fishing for lakers in july .
some get lucky and catch one a day .

tyee33
05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
The M.D. camp ground gets full all summer, the provincial park almost always has open sites on the weekends except the long holiday ones.There were a few spots vacant this past May "two four" right behind where I was camped.Camp at the provincial park 80% of the summer, actually have the last 5 years now.Get there early and you wont have any problems.Fishing can be tough if its really warm out in July but boating lakers is not impossible, just got back and the bite was slow, most of the boats that fish by Garnet Beach still managed to hook 4 lakers this evening.If you get away from the main armata by Garnet Beach and try different spots on the lake, most that have fished with downriggers and have some experience are usually pretty successful.Watch out for the long weekends, most that wait till the Friday to camp up here usually end up in the overflow by the info centre or in the Walmart parking lot.You will love it up here, great playground right at the provincial park, tonnes of hiking/walking trails, Kinosoo beach is really nice and walking distance from the main marina, lots of shops and B&Bs on lakeshore, Clarks General store has amazing fish and chips, not too worry about nothing to do here but fish, Cold Lake has all kinds of family activities.Hope this helps....

bigkid6.7
05-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Thankyou so much guys. The wife will be so happy whent to peerless on the weekend NOT the spot to take the wife and kid!!!!!!

Walleyes
05-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Actualy July can be a very productive time on Cold Lake its when we have had our best success. I have fished them out there in June, July, even into Aug and seem to do the best in July. The fish will be running deep and downriggers are the ticket the fish will be running down in the 50' - 75' even down in the 90' range so its nice to have the downriggers to put you in place. We do very well with Anchovies that time of year they out produce the lures by ten fold. Get yourself set up with a few Anchovie holders and flashers in green or red what ever just get a couple what I call west coast set ups they work great. If you are not familiar with using these set ups you may want to try and get somebody to go through the set up and running procedures on them with you.

We were out on the lake last year I believe close to the second week of July and we put 14 fish in the boat between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm so not a bad day. They do seem to slow right down with the afternoon sun so try and be out on the water early and you can leave by noon and spend the day with the family.

If you want do a search on here on Cold Lake we have discussed it quite a bit and there is a slew of info on it.

Good luck..