PDA

View Full Version : drift the Clearwater?

fluxcore
05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone has drifted the clearwater river around Rocky, I'm picking up a map and scouting out a day trip before the runoff starts.

tbosch
05-25-2009, 04:09 PM
I've never drifted it myself but I don't see why it wouldnt be possible. That would be one hell of a nice way to spend a day IMO. I know I've seen a few logjams near hwy 22 that would cause you some chaos if you werent paying attention but they could be gone by now with the way that river changes.

Unregistered user
05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Please keep us posted, wanted to do that for some time, never can find it.

sheepguide
05-26-2009, 08:33 AM
I have never driftred it myself but know people that have and i have fished all along it and it is a good float but you do need to watch for sweepers sticking out into the water. Not sure how long it would take to float it. Most float from the bridge on Hwy 54 to the bridge on Hwy 22 or onto where it joins the N.S.R

PoorTurtle
05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm in on that float. been thinking about that for a couple years, but don't know that river well enough. make sure you post when you are going. would love to join or hear how it ran.

Uncle John
05-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I have floated this a few times and would strongly advise not floating the stretch down stream from Hwy 54 for about 5 miles. It is swift with some tight turns and surprise log jams with little time to avoid them. It can be even tough to canoe and more grunt than thrill. It is a much nicer float if you put in west of the Butte Hill, by the golf course about 5 miles north of Caroline, and float down to the bridge on hwy 22. To get to the river follow the trail straight west from where the roads goes around the Butte Hill to the river. Still a pretty good current but with much less risk, better fishing and takes about 5 hours with out stops. Usually there are no log jams on this stretch, but watch for sweepers.

Sbrooks
05-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Runoff might already be starting

sheepguide
05-26-2009, 03:18 PM
River hasnt came up yet but it should start any day now as the weather is warm here and have been getting a little rain so this should start the thaw in the west country.

fluxcore
05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
runoff hit mid-june last year so we should be good for at least a week or two :D