PDA

View Full Version : Pine Coulee Report last sunday

Sir. Kenneth
05-26-2009, 10:18 AM
My first time down at Pine coulee we were out on the float tubes from 7:30-4:00 all in all it was a great day, 103 Walleye, 2 pike, and 1 small burbot between the 2 of us. Caught my first walleye and pike on the fly wooo hooo! This is an amazing walleye fishery but we didnt catch a single one over 2 lbs? Anybody ever caught anything of decent size out of Pine Coulee? Im wondering if there just isnt that great of a food source for them to grow any bigger than that?

SuCraM
05-26-2009, 10:22 AM
My first time down at Pine coulee we were out on the float tubes from 7:30-4:00 all in all it was a great day, 103 Walleye, 2 pike, and 1 small burbot between the 2 of us. Caught my first walleye and pike on the fly wooo hooo! This is an amazing walleye fishery but we didnt catch a single one over 2 lbs? Anybody ever caught anything of decent size out of Pine Coulee? Im wondering if there just isnt that great of a food source for them to grow any bigger than that?
Ya they are all small in there. Good fishing though. Now that the regs have changed to include minnows I think that they will get bigger.

nicemustang
05-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, small now, but will be a good fishery in a few years. But soon there will be too many, so they're going to have to plan for that one. Warm water and lots to eat and no limit = over crowded and eventually they won't have enough room to get big.

soggysocks
05-26-2009, 10:52 AM
You musta gone right past me Kenneth, thats about the same number the guy on the float tube was telling me he caught while out there.

floppychicken
05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, small now, but will be a good fishery in a few years. But soon there will be too many, so they're going to have to plan for that one. Warm water and lots to eat and no limit = over crowded and eventually they won't have enough room to get big.

Yeah, I'd say that time has already come and gone. We've been fishing there for a number of years and the fish 'just don't grow' in that reservoir. Too damn many of them...

I wonder if F&W could move some of them to another lake that they are looking to stock. Seriously, even if they took 50% of them out, you'd still have 75+ fish days at PCR with no problem....

I gotta say the PIKE in PC are absolutely 'beautiful' fish ! They are Unbelievably healthy and put up a GREAT fight. Definitely some of the nicest looking PIKE that I've seen in Southern Alberta. The Burbot are big and Plentiful too !

Cheers,

/FC...

Sir. Kenneth
05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
You musta gone right past me Kenneth, thats about the same number the guy on the float tube was telling me he caught while out there.

LOL actually that was me and my cousin, yeah we had a great time on the float tubes. I have to learn to ease my way into it though so i don't get soaked down the back of my waders every time!

dodger
05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I have fished Southern AB reservoirs for 40 years mainly for Pike and last Saturday at Pine Coulee I lost the largest one I have ever seen. It swallowed up my $12.00 Rapala and left me standing there with limp line hanging from the rod and a memory of a monster mouth about ready to swallow anything in it's way. BE CAREFUL IN THOSE BELLY BOATS you don't want to lose your equipment. :lol::rolleyes:
Dodger.

goldscud
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Has anyone ever seen a minnow in Pine Coulee? It seems the fish are living off of invertebrates and small burbot. Is there successful walleye spawning ocurring?

slingshotz
05-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I think there's nothing left for the walleyes to eat in there except bait. We need to scoop up all the 34739843 perch from Sundance lake to feed PC :)

jesse34567
05-26-2009, 09:49 PM
cool idea :evilgrin:

jesse34567
05-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Has anyone ever seen a minnow in Pine Coulee? It seems the fish are living off of invertebrates and small burbot. Is there successful walleye spawning ocurring?

the walleye population through reproduction is self sustaining
never seen a minnow

d bowhunter
05-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Ya they are all small in there. Good fishing though. Now that the regs have changed to include minnows I think that they will get bigger.

I didnt think you could use minnows in PCR

jeprli
05-27-2009, 07:14 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/14t4wau.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/j8jn9z.jpg

I think cannibalism and sometimes a pike like this fat guy. Hooked last year at Pine Coulee. Even though he had a 12 inch pike down his throat he was still hungry for more.

jesse34567
05-27-2009, 07:18 AM
holy Sh** wow walleye eating pike now thats cool :)

jesse34567
05-27-2009, 07:19 AM
I didnt think you could use minnows in PCR
the regs have changed in 09

Sangrial
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi,

Can anyone provide me with directions to this reservior google maps is giving me like several locations for the place.

I am normally a trout/fly fisher so trying out walleye/pike for the first time. Probably going to be fishing from shore so was wondering if anyone got any pointers as to where around the reservior would be a good spot to cast from shore.

I also gathered that minnows are allowed at this lake now. I went to Bass pro today and got a couple of rapala walleye rigs not sure if they would work.

Anyhow directions and any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Battery
06-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Take highway 2 south to stavely, turn right at the stavely turn, drive til you cross the bridge then park in the parking lot on the left side of the road walk down the hill and fish anywhere in there, was there today caught tons, everywhere we went from shore we were catching

Sangrial
06-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks so much the directions are perfect. I live over in the far south of Calgary so its only roughtly an our from my place.

I am heading there this weekend. if you dont mind me asking what were you guys using for bait?

I am thinking of picking up some minnows and sticking some on spoons, I also have a couple of rapala walley lures that I may try out.

Like I said before only fished and mainly fly fished for trout so this weekend should be a learning experience and any bait/casting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Battery
06-04-2009, 01:30 AM
the minnows will work good on a slip bobber and normal hook as well. And jig's of all sorts work in there too. I think theres so many fish in there that everything will work haha good luck!