PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Creek

roosterman
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Last week I asked if anyone had info on Rose Creek west of Alder Flats and got no responses.

It is also known as Wolf Creek - anybody fished it downstream of the Rose Creek Road?

Thanks.

BigA
06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes I am wondering about this as well. Barry Mitchell's Fishing Guide says that Browns r stocked in the beaver dam pools, and the regs say that the trout limit is 2 but no species r specified. Anyone had any luck there? Caught anything else? Is there anywhere else around alder flats where a guy could wet a line?

BigA
06-24-2009, 07:50 PM
So no one has been there?

duffy4
06-24-2009, 10:44 PM
I imagine the fishing in the NSR at the mouth of wolf creek would be ok.

I have caught and released two browns near #22 several years back.

Dik
06-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi Roosterman.

New to the forum and your question (finally) prompted me to register and reply.

Sorry, but I haven't fished the Rose yet but I have crossed it a few times this year. I'll now plan to put it on my list of streams to check out.

As for the creek, I noticed that it has been very muddy closer to the NSR (west of 22). The banks are broken down pretty badly. For this reason I always drive by.

I have been hunting for Browns on the NSR this year and plan to post my findings soon (that means when I find something worth posting...).

Dik

Dik
07-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Any news on the Browns?

I had planned to drop/float a bug or two in this creek but I've had to postpone my trip(s) due to the fricking cast on my left leg! I cannot bushwhack streams until September at the earliest. :(

Now all I can do is dream of a quiet evening hunting Brown trout.....

Dick

MrDave
07-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I haven't fished the Rose in 15 years now, it was a fairly good pike river back then. At the mouth you can catch goldeye and whitefish. It crosses 22 and grows as it circles around Alder Flats. Found some good holes on it with roads close by for access, by going north of Alder Flats and then west to the river. The Key holder was Doyle Seely. He owned a PMU barn in the area.

Bushrat
07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Fished it a few times where it runs into the north saskatchewan, really not much for any type of pool there and up the creek for a mile or so. Caught a couple little whitefish and a 12" pike. Never saw a trout. The water gets so low and warm at times the fish need crutches to move around. I think the best brown trout fishing would be near hwy 22 where there are some beaver ponds. Mostly pretty small fish, It's a pretty small creek. Don't think many people fish it, I've never met anybody fishing there and haven't bothered for years.

Dik
07-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I agree, any where near the NSR this creek is pretty sorry looking water. The OP mentioned the dams upstream too so once I am a bit more mobile I'll take a stab or two in the beaver dams he mentions.

I was concentrating on the NSR this year, searching for something that has red spots. I have seen pictures of very large fish taken in the bigger tributaries.

Failing that, I'll probably move upstream of highway 11. Then there is always the Red Deer River after that.

Dick

bigrfish
07-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm not to sure about road access but my friend and I canoe the Rocky to Drayton stretch every fall and usually find some real nice browns.The stretch from Rocky to Brazeau is the best for Browns and some real nice whites.Below that we usually start hitting some decent walleye and pike with some goldeye thrown in.I know there are places to access the river by vehicle as we have seen people fishing from shore.Hope this helps in some way.Good luck