PDA

View Full Version : calling lake reports?

SteveY66
05-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Heading out to calling on sat early am looking to get into some fish.

Anyone been out there at all ? I checked the fishin hole report its fair across the board.

Had some success there even with the suprisingly aggressive mammoth whitefish.

Any news would be great

Stevey

sourdough doug
05-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Was in the coffee shop the other day and "overheard" some braggard saying that they took off 16 boxes of fish this past weekend. Now that's not to say the fish are biting but they did end up getting caught--- if you know what I mean..

SteveY66
05-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I dont know what you mean to be honest, but lets hope that means it was legal and they're biting

Drewski Canuck
05-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes, lots of fish cruising the shallows, and my neighbour has been setting a net the last couple of weekends right in front of the townsite, just down from that place which has the new cabin being built.

Not much you can do about it, but perhaps F & W could do a boat inspection to make sure life jackets, oars, safety equipment is on board (which it is not), and just remind everyone doing the netting that these fish are for personal consumption, and not for sale. A fine for unsafe boating practices may enforce the idea that someone is watching.

It is a treaty right, but the concern is that the fish are not rightly being used by the treaty holder. There was a big bust a couple of years ago that got the message out, now it seems to have started all over again.

It is a bit of a joke when the fisheries managers talk about harvesting limits for sport fishermen at Calling Lake when I saw about 60 walleye pulled into the boat from one net set for one night, not to mention the dozen big whites, and a bunch of good Pike. This is easily more fish than what the sport fishermen caught all day, if not all weekend.

That was only one net. How many more were in the water on Saturday night?

As such, when the fisheries managers start talking about sport fishing closures and tag allotments, remember, it means nothing for the resource if the first nations continue to have their way with the resource.

Take what you need.

Drewski

pike1
05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
was out last weekend and saw several nice walleye caught by sport fishermen...fishing was quite good...let me know how you do...

SteveY66
05-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Great point Drewski,

I will take what i can. trust me.

I totally agree with you on that point but there is nothing we can do about it. The Treatys have the right and it upsets my stomach everytime i think about it personally.

We are paying into our lakes and fisheries but yet we are always getting hosed or shafted.

Ill let you know how i do.

Thanks

Steve

Drewski Canuck
05-29-2009, 10:46 PM
What is a little frustrating is my suspicion that money from illegally sold fish is being spent on crack cocaine. Go up to any of our northern communities, and you know its use is rampant and permanently damaging. There are alot of elderly on and off the reserves, as well as young families without fathers, where the fish caught could go a long way to supplementing a poor diet by simply giving the excess caught.

Judging by the drug use in the native and non native communities, by people who are not working and have no financial means, the question that I ask is where are they getting the money for drugs, other than selling wildlife and petty crime? This is a problem for both the native and non native people up north.

I LIKE the idea of sharing with the members of the community who are unable to go out themselves, either because of age or lack of ability.

I HATE the idea of bikers indirectly profiting off the abuse of wildlife resources through the illicit drug trade, especially crack cocaine. Please tell me I am wrong in my suspicion.

Drewski

savagencounter
05-29-2009, 11:11 PM
what is going on at calling is ridiculous, that is why there is no moose there eighter. SOLD FOR PROFIT not for food. as for the fish how much do you want to bet it will be catch and release again next season due to poor stocks. cALLING LAKE reserve is really starting to **** me off hopefully fish and wildlife start giving the area a little more attention. Shut down the hunting camp i mean meat market and maybe do a few home checks to see what is really going on with the TONS of fish and 5 moose per family member . CALLING LAKE RESERVE is giving the natives of alberta a bad rep and is sure leaving a sour taste in the mouths of sportsmen familiar with the area. The total disregard for the conservation efforts and basic criminal actions out there are a discrace to alberta. GOOD JOB FISH AND WILDLIFE BEND OVER SOME MORE.

FisherPotch
05-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I've never fished Calling open water. From my understanding it's the time to go. Got my arse handed to me in the winter twice. Once skunked once a few pike only. It was freezing balls and allot of work. Terrible to hear of all the netting. If I were to land ONE big white (20in plus) or One big eye (30in plus) it would make my freaking year. I can feel the steam coming from my ears just thinking about a 30 inch walleye being harvested by one of these nets. There comes a point when vigilante techniques actually sound like the way to go. And that point is when the system is being abused and those that run the system are not doing anything about it.

It's irritating to think about how much time money and work some anglers dedicate to fishing while others abuse what is a prejudice right that I would gladly fight a war over to have removed. I'm not a fan of death or war. But I'm a fan of equality and that is something worth fighting for!!!

If I remember correct its one eye any size there and a huge portion of the lake is closed to anglers. Id rather see the lake completely closed to anglers and netters. If I catch a pigeye it goes back in the water!!! Not everyone would release a pigeye (to each their own). But every one that catches one in a net is keeping it! Speaks wonders about the character of these types. To each their own but if you net fish in Alberta I HATE you. I wasn’t raised to be so negligent, and if it were my choice there would be no more if this discriminate treaty BS going on in the year 2009. All they ever do is bitch and moan and whine till they get their way and our tax dollars. It's nothing short of an absolute joke.

If you are reading this and you like to net lakes damn near to extinction (if you ever net fish this applies to you) while the poor Albertan angler has to play catch and release on 50% of the waters they fish.......You are an inconsiderate arse monger!! And far from what I would call an outdoorsman. Sounds like the best thing that could happen to this particular reserve is a good old LAKE CLOSURE!! C&R trophy fishing and anyone caught with a walleye gets slapped with a $1000 fine loses their truck, boat and all their gear. And if they are carded.....take their card! Make them pay for their own survival. I for one am sick of watching the abuse of the system. How can they be expected to learn better when they can get away with so much?

End super rant

SteveY66
05-30-2009, 04:06 PM
hey guys just got back from calling.

Murkier than hell water but managed some fish

Took home a healthy eye for supper, was pretty average nothing crazy

King Midas
05-30-2009, 09:56 PM
At Calling Lake, is it better to go fishing by the Ranger Tower (around where the Calling River meets the lake), or by Volkswagen Point? Otherwise, where else?

Drewski Canuck
05-30-2009, 10:45 PM
1.5 miles south of VW Point is Tomato Creek, sandy bottom, very good spot. From VW Point to the Boundary Triangle is great. From the Townsite go north to Sucker Creek, there is a good break from the playground out. North of the Tower at 2 mile creek can be amazing. In front of the campground and west of the campground, ETC ETC ETC.

Drewski

King Midas
07-06-2009, 03:19 PM
1.5 miles south of VW Point is Tomato Creek, sandy bottom, very good spot. From VW Point to the Boundary Triangle is great. From the Townsite go north to Sucker Creek, there is a good break from the playground out. North of the Tower at 2 mile creek can be amazing. In front of the campground and west of the campground, ETC ETC ETC.

Drewski

Do you have a map with these creeks and points on it?