PDA

View Full Version : In need of some help

aaron
01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
My grandfather had a trapline at Seibert Lake, until he unfortunately passed away several years ago. The trapline was 'passed on' to his wife's son-in-law, and within the last year he sold the trapline (or did not renew the lease, or whatever the case may be). Me and my brother have some emotional attachment to this trapline, and wonder about the possibilities of re-attaining it. What may complicate this matter is the fact that the land lies in the Lakeland Provincial Recreation Area - I've heard several things, including that once it is 'out of the family' the crown takes over and cannot lease the land again. Basically what I'm asking here is, is it possible for us to make this trapline active again, and how do we go about doing this? I essentially have no knowledge of how traplines are managed by the government and I'm looking for a little insight.

trapline
01-17-2006, 02:57 PM
First step is to confirm that the line is available by checking with your local SRD office. They make refer you to community development but I'd check with SRD first. Some staff at community development are not supportive of trapping so may not be helpful. Be assertive. If the line is active and available make a case to SRD that you are a good candidate for the line. Tell them that you will comply with the regs and complete the trapping course. A word of warning don't waste your time going after this line if your intention is not to trap. With the new active trapper designation those trappers who are keeping lines only for recreational purposes are going to lose them in my opinion. This is a good thing as it frees up lines for real trappers. Good luck