PDA

View Full Version : Chin Lake

gage251
05-29-2009, 05:10 PM
What are you having more luck on at Chin Lake(stafford res.)...bottom bouncing/trolling or jigging when in the boat? Any comments would be appreciated...heading out June 5th.

Gage

"Remember...it's called fishing...not catching!"

Swizzle
05-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Heading out there in the morning... I'll let you know what I find.

floppychicken
05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Is that the same as "Chin Reservoir". I'm itchin' to get down there in a big way to try out some of those Southern Reservoirs. Would like to hear feedback from you guys posting.

Cheers,

/FC....

Swizzle
05-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Only caught a couple... early AM, one 14" and one 16" right to the west of the boat launch near the bridge in shallow water. Moved northwest up the lake a ways and found a ton of fish showing up on the fish finder in deeper water (40') swimming 20' to 30' feet down but only got one to bite and I didn't get the hook set in time. The wind was blowing hard by 10am, and it was a struggle for the trolling motor to hold the boat, so I packed it in. Didn't have any Rattlin' Raps in my box, just the originals, and they weren't working. I'll have to try a couple of those, they would be a little heavier, I think my lures were too shallow for fish at 25' (even loaded up with a bunch of split shots trolling with most of my line out).

Donavonszoo
05-30-2009, 03:36 PM
I use 2"-2 1/2" minnows and pickrel rigs, leaches or dew worms alot, jigging also works well. I pulled 2 legal 'eyes and about 7 small 'eyes out and 2 small pike from under the bridge yesterday(from shore) in about 2 hours on minnows. there was 2 guys 60 feet from me also pulling them out and a boat parked under there as well, so the fish are there.

these lakes are connected via a dam, watch the west end if they are "filling" stafford the water gets sucked under the dam and theres a visable wirlpool... i dont know how strong it is but i wouldnt want to get to close...

Donavonszoo
05-30-2009, 03:40 PM
oh yeah and it was clear skys mid day and hot hot hot, not much wind to speak of... the last 15 minutes of daylight usually is insaine there. 12 fish in 15 mins sorta thing:)

WayneChristie
05-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I tried there Thursday under the bridge from shore, lots of bites only one hookup, then the wind came up and blew the lake about 2 feet higher on that shore so I gave up. Definitely going to try there again tho sometime, maybe earlier or later.

gage251
06-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the input!! We'll try by the bridge..maybe I'll find some good holes to anchor off by after trolling around for a while...I have 3 days...gonna make the most of it!!!

lanebond
06-01-2009, 11:11 AM
me and a buddy had never been to chin, decided to try out our canoe but got into some wind trouble. once we hit the shore we had some pike action on green/brass spoons. anyone know a pike/walleye lake known to be less windy?

Donavonszoo
06-01-2009, 04:08 PM
me and a buddy had never been to chin, decided to try out our canoe but got into some wind trouble. once we hit the shore we had some pike action on green/brass spoons. anyone know a pike/walleye lake known to be less windy?

Not in southern alberta LOL wind is just part of fishing round here. next time try the east end..if you get blown down the lake theres not far to go;)

npauls
06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Use the wind to your advantage. When its blowing look for the points that are getting hammered with waves and creating a mud line. Pitch a jig with a minnow or leach into the mud and slowly bounce the bottom back out to the boat and if its from shore toss it out further then the mud line and bounce it in. The walleye love to use the mud line to sneak up on bait fish. Chin is an amazing place to hook into some nice eyes. I wish I had more free time so I could get the boat out there more often.

Nate