PDA

View Full Version : where to go walleye fishing NEED A LITLE HELP

scrapdaddy
05-29-2009, 10:01 PM
hello all

new to the forum but there seems to be alot of good info here...so my question is...

I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD PLACE TO GO WALLEYE FISHING IN ALBERTA. BUT THIS LAKE MUST HAVE A DECENT CAMPGROUND WITH POWER WATER AND SEWER HOOKUPS.{OR ATLEAST POWER AND WATER}.

I AM FROM SASKATCHEWAN AND ME AND SOME OF MY ALBERTA FRIENDS ARE LOOKING FOR A NEW PLACE TO GO. FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS WE HAVE GONE TO LESSER SLAVE LAKE AT SHAWS POINT TO FISH FOR 2 WEEKS. THE FISHING WAS GREAT BUT ITS TIME FOR SOMEPLACE NEW...

ANY OPINIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I PREFER TO HEAR PERSONAL OPINIONS OVER THE CAMPING GUIDE

THANKS

grice
05-30-2009, 05:22 AM
LOL. head back to sask " TOBIN LAKE".....

Harbercraftguy
05-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Nuf Said........

scrapdaddy
05-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the smart ass comments. Now does anyone have anything usefull to comment on my topic.. Hard to belive 170 people read this post and not one has been camping where theres walleye?????

Hmmmmm

Donavonszoo
05-30-2009, 03:23 PM
how far are you guys willing to travel? I'm in southern Alberta and could offer some advice if your interested

scrapdaddy
05-30-2009, 03:33 PM
will travel anywhere in alberta. love to hear your input

Donavonszoo
05-30-2009, 03:50 PM
There is plenty about chin on the forum and if you want i can get you a google map i made for someone else, with places marked. Although there is a campground down there, Taber's m.d. park is a lot nicer and only a 20 min drive. There are quite a few desirable fishing lakes within a hours drive and "the forks" as well(bow and oldman join to make the south Sask. river)

fishincrazy
05-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Calling Lake is a good spot as is North Wabasca Lake. Camping at both is good but Calling fills up fast. At Calling go west of the boat launch about 4 miles, ,along the south shore,or at the mouth of the river (east side). Just watch as part of the lake is closed. At Wabasca (better of the two lakes in my opinion) Just as you come to the lake on the Hwy. look north fish off of the big point you see about 1 mile up on the east shore. Campsite is north from where you come to the lake on the Hwy.

scrapdaddy
05-30-2009, 09:08 PM
hey donavonszoo id love to see that map if u still have it?.

scrpddy69_13@hotmail.com

alberta yakfisher
05-31-2009, 07:47 PM
rumor has it lake newell has turned into quite the walleye fishery, big sprawling prairie reservior with some good structure, points, drop offs, rip rap, large weed beds & rock reefs. Also there is a real nice prov campground & good boat launch. 2 potential problems with newell are some real strong winds that can come out of no where & the fact that the lake is c&r for eyes unless you have tags that are specific to this lake. Hoped this helped
cheers

madatter
06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Lake Newell is a very good place to start.
Campground has every convenience you request and fishing can be fantastic for both walleye and pike.
Not only that but within short drive(1-2 hrs) you can get to other lakes in the area for day trips,namely Sherburne,Crawling Valley and Travers.
Not sure whether the fishing is as good as northern Sask but it sure is nice to see new country!!!
Good luck....

tchow
06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
I AM FROM SASKATCHEWAN AND ME AND SOME OF MY ALBERTA FRIENDS ARE LOOKING FOR A NEW PLACE TO GO. FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS WE HAVE GONE TO LESSER SLAVE LAKE AT SHAWS POINT TO FISH FOR 2 WEEKS. THE FISHING WAS GREAT BUT ITS TIME FOR SOMEPLACE NEW...

ANY OPINIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I PREFER TO HEAR PERSONAL OPINIONS OVER THE CAMPING GUIDE

THANKS

If you've been meeting for last 4 years at Shaw's, here's my suggestion. Why not meet up at your at homegrounds for fishing....Nippewan
There's a great campground there complete with all you needs. Boat Rentals, tackle shop, Mini Restaurant/Pub. Plus the tackle shop has very helpful staff to get you into the fish there.
Not knocking down Alberta waters, but having the opportunity to experience fishing waters where there is more fishable waters than Anglers... I have recommended this to others and were impressed..

scrapdaddy
06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
actually the last 10 years before the last 4 years we have been meeting in saskatchewan. i have taken them to jan, delaronde, meadow lake park,etc.

i would prefer to fish in saskatchewan theres way more lakes to choose from.
i didnt mind shaws point there was great fishing, but i didnt buy a camper and boat to go to the same lake every year, if that was the case i woulda bought a cabin.

but we are all walleye fisherman and we like our full hookups at the lakes i guess were all a little spoiled.

bowfin
06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
i would say little bow prov park nice campground good fishing walleyes can be tough but can keep some there and there is some big ones there

bsnyder
06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
:wave:Try Smoke lake at Fox creek, lots of Alberta sized walleye , campground a little basic or go over to Issogun lake, better campground not as many fish, .Havnt been there in a few years but nice country.Also a chance to go to the Little smoky , grayling fishing for a change.:wave:

scrapdaddy
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the info every one, but id like to hear more. Over 500 people read this post but only 16 replies including my self. If your in a forum we all want your input people....

Thanks all

nicemustang
06-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Because Alberta outdoorsmen forum members hate sask people fishing their fish when sask has way better fishing.

But being a saskman myself...Any of the southern reserves is a good place to go with 3 over 50 cm limits allows you to actually keep some. All have decent campgrounds too. Here are some to name a few.

Travers - Little bow provincial park campground
Chin - Chin has a campground, never been but Taber has and MD campground right on the river. Will be staying there myself for a week at the end of june.
Sherburne
Milk River Ridge - MD campground there as well, will be checking it out as I've never been on my southern tour end of june.

Fishfinder
06-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Not to reveal too much. But....large fish in the S.S.R. around Med. Hat. As far as campin goes, Med. Hat offers a few campgrounda but not nice ones. P.M. me and I can send u in the right direction if u going this way.

kfishh
06-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Im in the "same boat" I miss saskatchewan fishing this year, that's for sure.
We are heading to try out Eagle Lake Resort this weekend.... supposed to be walleye there.

Went down to Chain Lakes off the shore (no walleye) but caught a few little trout.

It's gonna take some time I guess

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Yall wanna put on a fish catching clinic ? You got a boat . Pigeon lake is your answer . You can catch many Walleye , beautiful campgrounds , and some awesome fishing . I will also suggest , Wabamun great for some awesome gators and the odd walleye . Also South buck lake is a good place also , and you can keep 1 walleye over 43 cm . Not sure if any of them places would tickle your fancy .Also another awesome Non Albertian fishing trip The locks in Manitoba , go fishin for Channel cats and walleye . Or Lake Winnipeg and take a day to go fish for cats . I'm sure any of those are all good options in my mind . Good luck be safe and welcome to the forum .

Justagirl
06-03-2009, 05:43 PM
I agree, pigeon lake is awesome for walleye fishing. If you got a boat. Once you find a good spot its literally one after the other. More then a few times every one of us in the boat had fish on the line at once. It was quite funny trying to not get tangled in each others lines. Only crappy thing is its catch and release. But if you don't mind that, pigeon is great. Plus it s a huge lake with camp grounds all around it so your bound to be able to find one. Good luck! =)

vault
06-03-2009, 07:52 PM
One area i'm surprized i haven't seen anyone talk about is the Lac La Biche area. I haven't been in the area myself but i hear the walleye fishing is great! and has campgrounds in the area. i plan to head up there this summer to check it out and can't wait. i hear it has great walleye like the motherland in sask. I have been to travers, its a nice lake and had some good fishing there, the campground is very nice.

If i was you scrappydad, check into the lac la biche area....lots of lakes to choose from, and sounds like great walleye!

kreator
06-03-2009, 08:03 PM
One area i'm surprized i haven't seen anyone talk about is the Lac La Biche area. I haven't been in the area myself but i hear the walleye fishing is great! and has campgrounds in the area. i plan to head up there this summer to check it out and can't wait. i hear it has great walleye like the motherland in sask. I have been to travers, its a nice lake and had some good fishing there, the campground is very nice.

If i was you scrappydad, check into the lac la biche area....lots of lakes to choose from, and sounds like great walleye!

Yep. Beaver would definitely meet your criteria, scrapdaddy. Sometimes it can be difficult to find a keeper, but there's tons of Walleye in there. Pinehurst and Touchwood have bigger guys, but you cannot keep them in Touchwood. Seibert is also noteworthy, but it doesn't sound like you really want to 'rough it' like you would have to if you were at Seibert.

bsnyder
06-04-2009, 11:05 AM

:wave:trying to keep it secret :rolleye2:haha

sneekie
06-04-2009, 11:45 AM
There are not many campgrounds with service and power hookups in the laclabicche area.

TJG
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Moose Lake, Alberta
Hv heard many nice things about this place.
Live rigging mostly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_Lake_(Alberta)

bsnyder
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Moose Lake, Alberta
Hv heard many nice things about this place.
Live rigging mostly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_Lake_(Alberta)

:wave:Provincial Campground very nice and landscape uniqe :)Watch for sandbars and exposed rocks in lake :cry:( ask a local where they are)
Can be tough fishing but when its good it is very good.Can be very weedy, try far west shore line, 15 ft. Can be very productive.Again watch for rocks over there:tongue2:

Hooker
06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
You may want to try Crawling Valley reservoir just N.W. of Bassano, AB. It is about 5 miles off the trans-Canada highway. It is catch and release for Walleye. It has two very nice boat launches and they are renovating the campground. To fish the lake you must have a topo of the lake, a depth finder and polorized sunglasses (to spot the shallow shelves that are covered with big rocks). It also has great Pike fishing if you know where to go. Make sure you scout it out before you crack the throttle open or you will have a busted prop for sure.

unclebuck
06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
sneekie, you make a good point. In the time that I have lived in Lac La Biche(25 yrs), I have only caught 1 walleye, and it was too small to keep.:evilgrin:

northernalbertaangler
06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Give Sturgeon Lake a shot, it's only a few hours from Slave lake. There's plenty of Walleye in this lake. My website hosted a tournament there on May 23/09 and I know the one boat caught upwards of 60 walleye in the 6 hours that the tournament was active! Of course there was the odd pike invovled as well. The largest walleye that was caught was 54 cm. I'm not sure of the weight as we entered length only. Anyway, there must be close to 100 camp sites and some offer power. There are a handfull that are lakeside but you can't reserve them. you can however reserve sites in the rest of the campground. Have a look at my website, it will offer lots of info on this campground. Just click on Lake Information at the top of the screen and the Sturgeon Lake. Good luck!

Clark Peters
www.northernalbertaangler.com
site owner