PDA

View Full Version : wabopogo???

thorne
05-30-2009, 08:45 AM
ok was on wabamun last night, drift casting in about 15 feet of water when something went under the boat and lit up the sonar like "Red October" there was a very clear bottom line, this thing was hovering around the 6 feet mark, and was registering a 6 feet thick or so and went on for ever. After i finally drifted past it i pulled around and went back to do some more investigation, and i couldn't find it....any one else ever get sonar returns like that out there? thought it might be bait fish, but if it was it was more like a school of herring, like i said it was around 40 feet across and 6 feet deep.

brook trout
05-30-2009, 01:11 PM
could of been a huge pike or this sounds real crazy but if wabumun lake is conected to the NSR it could of been a sturgeon.

Yellowtail
05-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Sonar is not very accurate at determining the thickness of something. Just because it shows up as 6 feet thick on the sonar does not mean it is actually 6 feet thick. All it means is that it is getting a very strong return. Sonar is not good at judging length either. If the fish was traveling in the same direction as you are, then it is going to be in the sonar cone for a long time and shows up as a very lengthy signal. My guess would be that it was a big pike.

Donavonszoo
05-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Standing on the shore at the forks this year i saw the wake from what seemed like a invisable slow moving boat traveling with the river. I'm pretty sure it was the sturgeon I tied onto a few minutes before(all I did was put my thumb on my screaming reel to slow it slightly from running upstream and it broke the 12 pound test as though it was a spiders web. Big fish are out there, just not 6'x 40' big;)

thorne
05-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Cool theorys, and ya if a good size pike, 15-20lbs, was shading under the boat, then yes it would give a sonar signature as I described...just like the wogopogo theroy better:wave::lol: any way heading back tonight with a UW Camera......just in case, pic's to follow!!:evilgrin:

thorne
05-30-2009, 11:26 PM
OK just got back from Wabamun....no pic's, just a broken rod from hooking into something I never did get a look at....Ok so the OMNI MAGNUM was 15 years old, and had alot of miles on it, but it was a good dependable rod.....until tonight. After it snapped (OK maybe I was a bit more excited then I should have been, and ya maybe I could have loosened the drag more then I did....) Well I fought on with my busted shaft, until one hard run and it was all over....fish 1:tongue2: Point being went back to the area of the large sonar ignature from last night, trolled for about an hour and a half in a criss cross pattern and then big hit. Guess pike are territorial and hang around areas. Maybe I'll head back in a week or so, but this round goes to the fish...well done!

Morph1
05-31-2009, 01:37 PM
I would be really carefull if I was in your shoe, I heard stories about 6 ft long tiger shark in there, and some folks claim they seen it with their own eyes !!,
lookup at the missig children post at the store in Wabamun they all last been seen playing on the beach in 3 ft deep waters :lol::lol::lol:

bsnyder
06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
OIL SLICK:lol:

burbotman14
06-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Was at wabamun a couple weeks ago. There was alot of them in shallow. You could see them and cast in front of them. We caught a 13.5 and 14lb with 23 others. Average size was about six pounds. By the way, we saw what must have been a 20-25 pounder sitting on a ledge. It was huge!!!!!

thorne
06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
well I am definately getting out again this weekend, maybe one day this week as well. We found a 14 foot hole in 3-4 feet of water pretty much all around it and tonnes of fish in there....thie is the first year I have hit Wabamun, and so far I am having a blast, and so are the kids so I intend to spend alot of time out there this year finding a few more hole and hopefully actually landing a 15 lber or so!:love:

muzzy
06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Most likely a school of fish but could have been Big bad John scuba diving under your boat

Albertadiver
06-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Most likely a school of fish but could have been Big bad John scuba diving under your boat

I've threatened to get my hands on a rebreather (no bubbles going to the surface) and go mess with folks fishing.

Did it once on standard scuba gear at the cliffs on Minnewanka. It was windy so they didn't see our air bubbles, and got my neoprene glove snagged on some kids spinner. Gave him a good fight all the way to the surface :lol:

thorne
06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
That would be frick'en awsome!! What a utube moment that would be!! Someguy (Probably me...) screamin like a banshee that he has hit the Holy Grail of pike!! Asome, totally awsome!!