PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing?!?

huntergirl
05-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I have always wanted to learn how to fly fish......anyone know about any where you can go for lessons???.....Or is there such a thing as a fly fishing course?

Russ C
05-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Just about any fly shop will have a lesson package available. Give your local shop a call, they will most likely charge between $100 to $150

Russ C

italk2u
05-30-2009, 04:47 PM
...or you can learn for almost free by joining the northern Lights fly tying club...they have a website, the url of which escapes me at the moment.
great bunch of people, great fly anglers.
you can also try the Edmonton Trout club on line.

ULTRAlite
05-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Just about any fly shop will have a lesson package available. Give your local shop a call, they will most likely charge between $100 to $150

Russ C

definately a good idea - flyfishing bootcamp... shortens the learning curve for sure.

Rumtan
05-31-2009, 08:57 AM
The Fishin Hole also rents videos that are worth watching.

backwoodsfisher
05-31-2009, 09:52 AM
those videos are actually pretty good but i wouldn't bother renting them you can find most of them free on the net( search torrent sites)

MrDave
05-31-2009, 06:02 PM
I have always wanted to learn how to fly fish......anyone know about any where you can go for lessons???.....Or is there such a thing as a fly fishing course?

Where are you at? Kinda hard to recommend any place without a location. If you are around Red Deer area, I am willing to give some pointers.

raggmann
02-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Kind of digging up an old thread here,but.......
I've fly fished off and on for years and just last fall picked it back up again. Now I remeber why I let it go years ago, I can't cast as far as I want to!
I also would like to take a course (or ?) to gain some pointers.
Maybe if there's a few of us in Central Ab, someone like MrDave would like to make a few new frieds and a couple of dollars.

troller
02-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Kind of digging up an old thread here,but.......
I've fly fished off and on for years and just last fall picked it back up again. Now I remeber why I let it go years ago, I can't cast as far as I want to!
I also would like to take a course (or ?) to gain some pointers.
Maybe if there's a few of us in Central Ab, someone like MrDave would like to make a few new frieds and a couple of dollars.

I'm about 40 miles south/west of you, the wife and I would be interested. I have the same problem as you do :o

lifesaflyin
02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
youtube has some really good videos. its taught me more in an hour than I would have learned in a year of fishing by trial and error.

greylynx
02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
The Northern Lights fly club in Edmoton had a beginners and intermediate course two years ago.

I am not sure if they are going to have a course this year, as they did not have one last year. Their instructors were pretty good.

Barry White the outfitter usually has a cabin fever sale out of Calgary every March or April. This guy is an extremely good caster and teacher.

Shops like Coutry Pleasures out Calgary should also be checked out.

My advice is to get expert instruction to begin with, or you, like me will be diagnosing yourself for the rest of your life correcting old bad habits.

grizz
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Hey huntergirl
Just give mike a call at southbow most days you can show up at the shop and he will help make you better casters on the spot,

drhook
02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
All the posters have great ideas for you to learn. When you pick up the sport go see a professional first and get yourself matched up with the correct flyrod. You will be surprized how easy it is to pick up when you use the proper equipment. Most of us have learnt that the hard way.

rustynailz
02-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Fish Tales flyshop in south Calgary (Avenida) is the best place in town if you're just getting into things IMO. Dave and his staff are second to none in terms of customer service and friendliness, and they offer plenty of beginner courses. Take a course before you buy a rod...you'll be in a much better position to do so once you know a little bit about gear and what you're going to fish for.

Plus, coming to Calgary for the course is a great excuse to fish the Bow.

DarkAisling
02-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Where are you?

Hanson's Outfitters has a great day long fly fishing boot camp. The cost includes a 6wt IM7 graphite rod (Hanson's own brand), and a spooled reel too.

http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/qs/page/6774/6772/-1

My eldest boy got the package for Christmas :)

jacob1202
02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
there are some good videos on youtube... and once u watch them its just trial and error... it takes a bit of time to learn how to cast comfortably .... practice makes perfect :)

raggmann
02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the replies all.
I've taken DarkAisling's advise and registered myself and my g/f with Hansons.
Just waiting on the email now.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Thanks again,