PDA

View Full Version : Pinto Lake...What happened??

ovis40
05-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Just wondering what happened to the fishing in Pinto Lake? Did it get fished out of Bulls or did they close it to save them?
Man that was some fishing!!!

Wylliecoyote
05-31-2009, 02:11 AM
I heard that it was closed to save them. Haven't been to that lake before but plan on hiking to it in a couple weeks.

Reeves1
05-31-2009, 06:01 AM
Closed a long time ago and it is also where they collected eggs .

It is one of the favorite places hiked to. Been there 4-5 times ?
Not since the 80s though.

fishman
05-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Just wondering what happened to the fishing in Pinto Lake? Did it get fished out of Bulls or did they close it to save them?
Man that was some fishing!!!

Are you talking about pinto lake (blue lake) by nordegg if so it has been closed for years and never knew it had anything but cutts in it and they use the eggs from them to stock all the other lakes with cutts.......they use reproduce in it but a boulder has fell and blocked the creek........last time i was there was in 1984 and man it use have big cutts

duffy4
05-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Seams to be some confusion here.

Pinto lake has bulls and they do not take eggs from them.

Job or blue lake has cutts and they do take eggs from it for the hatchery to rear. All the cutts stocked in Alberta come from this source.

Not sure where the "they use reproduce in it but a boulder has fell and blocked the creek."came from?

fishman
05-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Seams to be some confusion here.

Job or blue lake has cutts and they do take eggs from it for the hatchery to rear. All the cutts stocked in Alberta come from this source.

Not sure where the "they use reproduce in it but a boulder has fell and blocked the creek."came from?

Sorry for the confuson, my mistake

Reeves1
05-31-2009, 01:16 PM

Don't know if they still do, but they used to.

troutpirate
05-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Don't know if they still do, but they used to.
incorrect reeves, they never used pinto lake as a broodstock. alberta never even stocked bull trout until recently(the only exception is the 117 they transferred into ptarmigan lake in 1991). the bulls they have stocked recently come from lower kananskis lakes major tributary smith-dorrien creek.
pinto lake should be re-opened though, with strict regulations. it would be awesome and stay awesome for a long time.

Big Bull
06-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I was at Pinto Lake once, and would love to go back. I thought that it was closed for brood stock, also. I wonder why they are keeping it closed, since there is a zero possession limit on bulls. When we were there, we came across 6 large garbage bags stuffed with food and garbage, I'm not sure who these people thought would come pick it up, but we ended up burning it all.
We came in from the Icefields Parkway, and it was quite a site when we reached the cliffs overlooking the lake. Oh yah, and the fishing was amazing!