PDA

View Full Version : ultimate pike lure

alberta yakfisher
05-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Hi folks, im new to the forum, i have been reading it for a couple of weeks & really enjoying the stories & wealth of information on all the good spots & techniques. I thought i would share a really hot lure that i have been having incredible luck on for pike, its the storm wildeye live swimbait in the walleye pattern 3 or 5 inch. Remove the bottom treble hook as this really improves the action & keeps the weeds off, cast er out, retrieve slow & steady & hang on. Was @ rattlesnake res on friday & could not keep them off, must have caught & released @ least 20 intil the 6 wildeyes i had were thrashed & tail-less, good luck & tight lines

P.S sorry if i revealed anyones secret

seahawkfisher
05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
soft plastics are really starting to get their niche; the new hollow bodies are great too - you can rig them weedless and have a ton of fun in the shallows!
good to hear you had a great day
cheers

jeprli
05-31-2009, 10:15 AM
I use those big storm swimbaits with single hook on the back. They save the day almost every time. Great lure(wholesale had a sale while ago and i picked them clean, redhead, rainbow, and something else, redhead definitely kicks butt)

baitfisher83
05-31-2009, 10:25 AM
i found some of the pike look alike sot baits and they were hammering them, till the rocks stole them all, gotta pick some mroe up if i can find them on sale somewhere...

-JR-
05-31-2009, 10:43 AM
I had a Rapla that I lost a fighty with,a few weeks back with an old pike . Red head with white body. Been to four major fishing stores already and can't find anything to relace it with ,other than a red jig head with white rubber tail .
Might have the brand mistaken with .
IF anyone has one in there tackle box hold on to it ....it works !

-JR-
05-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Just found it on the Ralpa site.
Just have to find it in a store !
But what store ?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/hook.jpg

baitfisher83
05-31-2009, 11:04 AM
cant order it online????

-JR-
05-31-2009, 11:11 AM
just found one on Ebay $27 plus shipping .

baitfisher83
05-31-2009, 11:21 AM
holy crap is it antique or something??lol

madatter
05-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi folks, im new to the forum, i have been reading it for a couple of weeks & really enjoying the stories & wealth of information on all the good spots & techniques. I thought i would share a really hot lure that i have been having incredible luck on for pike, its the storm wildeye live swimbait in the walleye pattern 3 or 5 inch. Remove the bottom treble hook as this really improves the action & keeps the weeds off, cast er out, retrieve slow & steady & hang on. Was @ rattlesnake res on friday & could not keep them off, must have caught & released @ least 20 intil the 6 wildeyes i had were thrashed & tail-less, good luck & tight lines

P.S sorry if i revealed anyones secret

How was the size out there???
From what I heard fishing was OK but not much for size.....

alberta yakfisher
05-31-2009, 05:13 PM
biggest 1 was about 6 pounds but did have some monsters follow up right to the side of the boat & have a look, tried the old figure 8 with the rod tip but they would just slowly cruise away. I have been having some killer luck on rattlesnake this year for pike , only 1 walleye though, sopposed to be some good ones in there but i cant find them. As for spots im fishing mostly at the islands right at the begining of the main basin by the collony, just after the narrows, fish strictly out of a kayak so i can get into some real shallow un-pressured spots

madatter
05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Before I sold the boat I used to fish Snake pretty hard and I never had any consistent luck with the eyes.
Everybody says they are there but gettin onto them is another story.

walker197
05-31-2009, 06:09 PM
those storms work great used them all last year, but the ones i think work even better are the slurpies brand, same set up without the bottom treb, work slick, can't keep the pike off..cheers:)

alberta yakfisher
05-31-2009, 06:11 PM
almost all the eyes i catch come out of the good old south sask river, no good for eating but have caught some real footballs as we call em:lol:every fall, love the river

Rob
05-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Just started fishing the NSR for Walleye. Any tips for getting those "footballs?"

dodger
05-31-2009, 06:19 PM
I wonder if you can troll the Storm Wildeye?? Anyone with experience trolling them.
Dodger.

alberta yakfisher
05-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Just started fishing the NSR for Walleye. Any tips for getting those "footballs?"

we get mostly all of them with pickrel rigs & salted minnows fished in deep holes on bends in the river. best times down south are when the leaves start to turn color and the water cools down. we do catch them all summer after she's done blowing out, but dont really see the real big ones until the fall. good luck on the ns

alberta yakfisher
05-31-2009, 06:43 PM
I wonder if you can troll the Storm Wildeye?? Anyone with experience trolling them.
Dodger.

i have tried trolling them on my way to the spots but have never had a bite, it must have something to do with speed & location as i really work these lures slow, no pauses or twitches though just a real slow steady retrieve with a low rod tip to help with a fast hook set, right after you feel the pop.As for spots im finding the pike stacked up on steep 20ft drop offs & real shallow bays. Good luck

Nationwide
05-31-2009, 08:09 PM
[.

WayneChristie
05-31-2009, 08:48 PM
shhhhhh. no wonder they are almost always sold out now! got 11 pike Friday on them, from 4 to 11 1/2 pounds. I have 22 of them hanging on the wall with no tails now, and for the non believers I will take a pic of them and post it . they need a stinger hook im My opinion.

baitfisher83
05-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Wayne there is a way to get a stinger hook set up behind the tail, take a large eyed needle<one big enough to fit your line> stick it through the middle of the tail, and run that up to the middle hook attachment, tie it on and then pull it tight through the bottom then attach a hook there, best to remove the treble if they have them though...

Donavonszoo
06-01-2009, 04:18 AM
shhhhhh. no wonder they are almost always sold out now! got 11 pike Friday on them, from 4 to 11 1/2 pounds. I have 22 of them hanging on the wall with no tails now, and for the non believers I will take a pic of them and post it . they need a stinger hook im My opinion.

Ive caught many of pike on them and one walleye while "trolling", or rather I was to lazy to reel in when I moved the canoe...almost lost my rod that day.
Anyone else hit walleye on them?

Cal
06-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Ive caught walleye on them out of the north sask. I dont think they work a whole lot better than a regular jig myself. Find an eddy and cast your hook right over it and into the fast water and just let the current swing it back around into the eddy on a tight line. then either jig it back upstream or drag it allong the bottom depending on the day. I never use a pickerel rig and still get my share of walleye. For trolling jigs or wild eyes troll slowly with the curent and hop the lure along the bottom. If your going upstream use a plug.

bsnyder
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
[.

:)

madatter
06-01-2009, 07:44 PM
we get mostly all of them with pickrel rigs & salted minnows fished in deep holes on bends in the river. best times down south are when the leaves start to turn color and the water cools down. we do catch them all summer after she's done blowing out, but dont really see the real big ones until the fall. good luck on the ns

Knowing where to go is half the battle on the SSR but I have to agree that fall is my favorite time.
I can't even count how many walleye and sturgeon we caught last Sept/Oct........
And we use the same tactics,though with the sturgeon the pickerel rig is a weak point!!

TangoKilo
06-01-2009, 08:54 PM
The STORM WildEye Swim Bait Shad in 4" length is absolutely the ticket for pike!!

The large single hook is great!

WayneChristie
06-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Wayne there is a way to get a stinger hook set up behind the tail, take a large eyed needle<one big enough to fit your line> stick it through the middle of the tail, and run that up to the middle hook attachment, tie it on and then pull it tight through the bottom then attach a hook there, best to remove the treble if they have them though...

Thanks Baitfisher, I will have to try that. have to find some way to repair the ones I have with no tail, especially since they raised the price at Wallyworld . Ive used these exclusively since I found them, and do pretty good on them, best so far a 20 pound pike and 8 pound walleye. so far :)

DeanP
06-01-2009, 09:09 PM
The STORM WildEye Swim Bait Shad in 4" length is absolutely the ticket for pike!!

The large single hook is great!

What colour worked best for you?

baitfisher83
06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks Baitfisher, I will have to try that. have to find some way to repair the ones I have with no tail, especially since they raised the price at Wallyworld . Ive used these exclusively since I found them, and do pretty good on them, best so far a 20 pound pike and 8 pound walleye. so far :)

yeah those things are friggin expensive, especially if ya lose them on rocks..lol, i picked up another pack of them for if/when i go after pike again, i'd love to try them at glenmore..

zabbo
06-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Just found it on the Ralpa site.
Just have to find it in a store !
But what store ?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/hook.jpg

Saw this @ WSS on Monday. I believe 4" and 6" versions somewhere from 8 to 15 $. Also had a jointed version I think.

simmered
06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Tried them tonight for the first time. It almost doesn't seem fair.......almost! I can't believe how hard they were hammering the hook. I am glad that I read this first thread first and took the treble off, that would have sucked tring to get that out as well.
Does anyone else find that you hook the fish close to their eye most of the time?

Tweedsider
06-04-2009, 05:47 AM
I go through a ton of these things, the Walleye, Perch and Pike patterns all work well. Not saying othere patterns dont, just have not tried them yet.
Have caught them trolling with the electric motor, going pretty slow. Once the tails come off like stated above they dont have the same action obviously but I have caught Pike with tailess ones, but definately not as effective. I wonder if you could glue some kinda curly tail from a Mister Twister or something like that on the back of these?

-JR-
06-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Went back to wss today and did find one !

barbless
06-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Was out at Swan Lake on Monday just west of Caroline. Trolled and casted just about all day long. Had some luck but not like at the end of the day. Casted out a split-back or jointed 6in. white bottom and dark top minnow and let it sit until all ripples are gone. Then one little tug, wait, another little tug, wait, another little tug and then the jaws from the deep swallowed that like candy. BAM 5lbs. of pike. Back she goes and three more after that in about 15min. then it was dark. When all else fails after a day like that and the water is smooth like glass, the sun is going fast, that is MY choice of pike lure. Has not failed me yet. Still go home with a smile and some lies.

Calgary Fisherman
07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey saw this Post and thought I would post what I thought was the kind pike Lurer

My Dad bought these things called Pike Killer
Dad saw these in a store on sale and bought 3 of them

Everytime I casted this out, It was almost BANG BANG BANG
Most amazing thing I had ever seen
Eventually we lost the ones we had over the years and have been reluctant to find them
They almost look like a walleye Diver

Anyways, thats my 2c

#1Hunter
07-06-2009, 06:13 PM
ive found the best hook too use in weed beds for pike is ither blade dancer, mouse, frog, crank bait

cracker488
07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Just thought I'd throw another good one out there.The Strobe holographic spoons in the perch or whitefish pattern work very well. Pretty reasonable price too, about 3 bucks a piece at wal-mart.

#1Hunter
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Does anyone fish the blindman river or the medican river for jacks??? bye rimbey or bently or eckville??

Riggpigg
07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
:) Hey yakfisher.. pigg here, where do you go on the ssr, I may have to come along on day, you fish from the yak or from shore?