PDA

View Full Version : No bison hunt in 2018-19

hehalta
05-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Listed in important Big Game changes for 2018 there will not be a bison draw this year. Long cold winter perhaps ?

katts69
05-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Same thing that happened with the wood buffalo herd. Whitey is shooting them now and there won’t be any left for our coddled First Nations would be my best guess.

nube
05-20-2018, 05:24 PM
They like to keep the herd at about 700 animals. I bet they have what they want and also the easiest herd to hunt is on the lake. I imagine they took a beating last couple winters and after being there myself I believe it. Maybe they are protecting some of those as well now. If that is the case then why not. We don't need to over harvest anything.

last minute
05-20-2018, 06:08 PM
We don't need to over harvest anything.
well said :)

Big Grey Wolf
05-21-2018, 08:28 AM
It was getting some what over whelming, Only 18,000 applicants for 125 licenses. Actually was a good revenue stream for F& W.

Lefty-Canuck
05-21-2018, 08:31 AM
It was getting some what over whelming, Only 18,000 applicants for 125 licenses. Actually was a good revenue stream for F& W.

Except very little of the draw application money goes back to F&W specifically.

LC

hal53
05-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Revenue stream for F&W.???????

Xbolt7mm
05-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Same thing that happened with the wood buffalo herd. Whitey is shooting them now and there won’t be any left for our coddled First Nations would be my best guess.

Keep guessing

nube
05-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Revenue stream for F&W.???????

Yes it is a good Revenue maker but like Lefty said very little gets back to anything that has to do with wildlife in our province.
Not sure what it costs for a draw application but $3 times 18 000 applicants is a pretty good chunk of change for not doing a whole lot.

Desert Eagle
05-21-2018, 03:19 PM
It's not a big deal that there is no season for this year. The harvest was significant in 2013 when we went, and the season was closed in 2014 to allow the population to stabilize. With the changes in season dates last year, it's probably a good time to take a break and re-group and let the herd settle a but and re-populate.

Redneck 7
05-22-2018, 07:19 AM
I’m ok with waiting another year to get my chance at the draw, anything to help the numbers grow. I did just zero my new to me .338wm so lots of time to developed a load.

bonecollector10
05-22-2018, 08:43 AM
I was just up there this past winter, apart from the herd on the lake we never saw another herd. Sign but no sighting. I believe they are there but the herd we found was 50 - 60 strong and we couldn't find a single calf...

The wolves up there are prospering however, might need to take a look at that instead.

sunsworn
11-22-2019, 10:46 AM

So whitey killed them all and Natives are coddled?
Saving them from extinction and from Natives losing them as food supply is coddling Natives?
If you don't like having to live up to the treaty agreements in exchange for the land you can leave! no one is keeping you here.

huntinstuff
11-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Saving them from extinction and from Natives losing them as food supply is coddling Natives?
If you don't like having to live up to the treaty agreements in exchange for the land you can leave! no one is keeping you here.

I think a lot has happened since this topic was brought up 1.5 years ago

My point being; it's like someone sneezed last year and you just got around to saying "bless you"

I think the gist of remarks are relative to the fact that "whiteys" are generally regulated as to what they can harvest while natives aren't as a general rule. Kinda defeats the whole conservation thing

dugh
11-22-2019, 04:58 PM
It's my understanding that they like about 400 animals. I believe the numbers are below that, thus the cancellation of the hunt. I was told that the bison basically left the area. Hunting pressure I reckon. I guess it is expand the hunting area or wait for the bison to return.

Flatlandliver
11-22-2019, 06:01 PM
They like to keep the herd at about 700 animals. I bet they have what they want and also the easiest herd to hunt is on the lake. I imagine they took a beating last couple winters and after being there myself I believe it. Maybe they are protecting some of those as well now. If that is the case then why not. We don't need to over harvest anything.

Nube suggesting “We don’t need to over harvest anything” is a little prophetic.

Dewey Cox
11-22-2019, 06:36 PM

Thanks for signing up on the forum to contribute this.
Someone needed to stoke the flames of the native hunting debate.

marky_mark
11-22-2019, 07:00 PM
They had some bad winters up there and a lot of them died from starvation
Hence no hunt

270person
11-22-2019, 10:16 PM

Great first post. :rolleye2: Best plan to save a species from extinction by hunting? Insure NOBODY hunts them. Right?

We're ALL stewards of the land. Some of us even have to report our stewardship.

YoungBuck
11-24-2019, 01:15 PM
I heard from a reliable source that a large portion of the Alberta herd crossed over in to B.C.. So on paper the Alberta herds population is well below the target population they want, thus no hunt this year.

Mulienewbie29
12-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Is there still free roam bison hunting allowed???

Positrac
07-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Is there still free roam bison hunting allowed???

Nope.

Grizzly Adams
07-01-2020, 11:48 AM
I think a lot has happened since this topic was brought up 1.5 years ago

My point being; it's like someone sneezed last year and you just got around to saying "bless you"

I think the gist of remarks are relative to the fact that "whiteys" are generally regulated as to what they can harvest while natives aren't as a general rule. Kinda defeats the whole conservation thing

Agreed, this isn't 1870, though some people apparently believe it still is and want to stay there.

Grizz

35 whelen
07-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Nope.Is there not free ranging heard up by Wood Buffalo that is still huntable without a draw or a tag?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Grizzly Adams
07-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Is there not free ranging heard up by Wood Buffalo that is still huntable without a draw or a tag?

There is, but count on being harassed by local Natives if you take advantage.

Grizz

tullfan
07-02-2020, 07:21 AM
There is, but count on being harassed by local Natives if you take advantage.

Grizz

The stewards?

Tullfan

honda610
07-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Rules were changed a few years ago. You must be a steward of the land to hunt the heard in north eastern Alberta:thinking-006:

35 whelen
07-02-2020, 08:53 AM
Rules were changed a few years ago. You must be a steward of the land to hunt the heard in north eastern Alberta:thinking-006:Of course they did well they'll take care of them