PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance is not an excuse!

Donavonszoo
06-02-2009, 01:01 AM
So I was fishing today with 2 buddies when 2 vans of people pull up and in total 7 adults and at least 15 kids(seat belts??) show up. There wasn't a problem until when they started to pack up I saw some suspiciously small walleye on a piece of rope that a kid was playing with still in the water, after placing a call to the F&W tip line I wandered over to shoot the ***** and double check my suspicions. They didn't have a tape measure so I whipped mine out before the man could finish saying he didn't have one and he gave me a lame-o excuse I have heard way to many times... "I just got uh fishing license I don't know how big they need to be" So upon measuring the BIGGEST one at 14" I informed him that they were way small(the smallest wasn't 6 inches I swear) and lectured him on the regulation book and knowing the laws. Then I insisted that the fish be released even though with the rope being looped through their gills they probably might all die anyways.
I don't see how these people think that ignorance is bliss... I think the fish cops need to crack down on people like this group who are ruining our fisheries and hoping playing dumb will save them every time. Everyone is governed by rules and regulations for a reason.
BTW Fish and game never DID show up...

FallAirFever
06-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Good of you to take the time to try and educate them. It is really too bad that people dont realize the damage they can do to our precious resources.

did you get a licence plate # for F&W to follow up with, hopefully they would do something.

Donavonszoo
06-02-2009, 01:14 AM
I tried but when they realized what I was doing they hammered down and all I got was a face full of dust for my efforts.:mad3:

I-Love-Eyes
06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
So I was fishing today with 2 buddies when 2 vans of people pull up and in total 7 adults and at least 15 kids(seat belts??) show up. There wasn't a problem until when they started to pack up I saw some suspiciously small walleye on a piece of rope that a kid was playing with still in the water, after placing a call to the F&W tip line I wandered over to shoot the ***** and double check my suspicions. They didn't have a tape measure so I whipped mine out before the man could finish saying he didn't have one and he gave me a lame-o excuse I have heard way to many times... "I just got uh fishing license I don't know how big they need to be" So upon measuring the BIGGEST one at 14" I informed him that they were way small(the smallest wasn't 6 inches I swear) and lectured him on the regulation book and knowing the laws. Then I insisted that the fish be released even though with the rope being looped through their gills they probably might all die anyways.
I don't see how these people think that ignorance is bliss... I think the fish cops need to crack down on people like this group who are ruining our fisheries and hoping playing dumb will save them every time. Everyone is governed by rules and regulations for a reason.

:confused:Don't you get a copy of the fishing regs when you buy your licence??:huh:
Even if he printed it on-line, there is an opportunity to download and print the regs. Guy probably didn't even have a licence to start with.:mad:

Guys like that are what is wrecking our fisheries!!!:mad3:

baitfisher83
06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
:confused:Don't you get a copy of the fishing regs when you buy your licence??:huh:
Even if he printed it on-line, there is an opportunity to download and print the regs. Guy probably didn't even have a licence to start with.:mad:

Depends on where ya get your license, i got mine at wal mart and he didnt give me a reg book......but i got one later at bass pro shops before i ever went fishing.....i've seen people many times at chestermere bringing in a keeping small pike when they have that outrageous size limit of 63cm:lol: but i go out there just for the fun of fighting with a great species now.....hoping one day i'll hook into a lunker...lol

bsnyder
06-02-2009, 08:44 AM

:wave:Good for you, more of us are going to do that if we want to keep whats left of our fisherys intact:wave:I raise my hat to you:D

Fishing Gal
06-02-2009, 08:54 AM

Okotokian
06-02-2009, 08:59 AM

You have made the assumption that they actually GOT licences...

I-Love-Eyes
06-02-2009, 09:08 AM
You have made the assumption that they actually GOT licences...

Re-read my post...I said" Guy probably didn't even have a licence to start with."

Nationwide
06-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Great post :lol::lol:

TangoKilo
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree!
Good for you!!

People would stop trying to pull sh!t like this if they knew that they would be turned in by anyone who saw them.

I always keep a digital camera with me and shoot as many pictures as possible before approaching.

Donavonszoo
06-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I am new to fishing, but I always make sure I check my reg book and if I can not find what I am looking for I always make sure I ask someone else or I will make the call to F&W. I may look stupid for phoning them with such a stupid question, but at least I will know the right thing!

Page 2 of the Regs book under The Alberta Angling Ethic states:
"The ethical angler has respect for wild creatures, knowledge of his or her natural surroundings, a sense of fair play and consideration for the rights and expectations of others. Fishing, as promoted by the Alberta government, should foster an ethical relationship of the highest order between anglers, their quarry, fellow anglers, and the natural environment. Ethical conduct is expected of all anglers in Alberta."
Fishing Gal, It sounds like you follow this to the word. I think we need more people who share your way of thinking, and when it comes to knowing the laws there is no stupid questions(perhaps only stupid answers:p)... I tip my hat to you in thanks for showing us that their are people new to the sport that strive to follow the rules and regulations.
Donavon

jts1
06-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Good on ya , There have been many a post oh here with the same topic. Most have turned into ignorant rants. Glade to see that there is still some mature responsible fishermen out there. Keep it up.

Donavonszoo
06-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I always keep a digital camera with me and shoot as many pictures as possible before approaching.

I always have a cam with me, It was 100 feet away in the car however. I honestly didnt expect to run into that scenerio, not so boldly in the easily accessable public fishing area anyways. Live and learn I suppose. Next time however I will be ready.
Donavon

happy perch fisher
06-02-2009, 03:59 PM

They know the regulations they just didn't give a ****. You souldn't of told them let fish and wildlife give them a couple thousand dollar fines. They deserve it not like first or last time there going to do it. I've seen these guys so many times getting away with this bs with that lame ass excuse. They always seem to get away through.

fluxcore
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Me and a buddy were fishing on may long and while wondering and fishing the clearwater river we came apon a small group of campers (right on the river) that were telling us the fish were hitting worms and at that time they proceeded to show us a string of two nice bull trout and 3 brown trout:mad2:
we told them the regs and they explained thay were from out of town and read them wrong. we were ****ed

I-Love-Eyes
06-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Me and a buddy were fishing on may long and while wondering and fishing the clearwater river we came apon a small group of campers (right on the river) that were telling us the fish were hitting worms and at that time they proceeded to show us a string of two nice bull trout and 3 brown trout:mad2:
we told them the regs and they explained thay were from out of town and read them wrong. we were ****ed

How can you mis-read "Bull Trout limit 0 throughout Alberta???:mad3:

fluxcore
06-02-2009, 05:45 PM
How can you mis-read "Bull Trout limit 0 throughout Alberta???:mad3:

Not to mention bait ban and no browns, unfortunatly this kind of stuff dosent even faze me any more people will continue to do stupid things that affect us all. Last weekend I was fishing prairie creek and the water got really cloudy, Im thinkin runoff now? turns out a bunch of quaders were taken turns rippen through the stream a few clicks up from us. Its a no win situation I didnt even want to reply to this thread

Donavonszoo
06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Some people scan through the book while others dont, some people actually read the regs and its up to us who do to correct the others. I do agree that some situations are infuriating like the people catching illigal fish or the quadders but I think that most the situations can be disolved by talking to culprits, perhaps the campers didn't take the time to read the bait ban clause(honestly some of the creek and river regs confuse me as well) or about the 0 bull trout limit, perhaps the guy I talked to really was a brand new fisherman and really didnt know the rules. It may not fix all the problems as some are hell bent on breaking the rules but perhaps it would steer some in the right direction.

npauls
06-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Nice work dj. I have made a few calls to the f&w officers already this year also. I asked why they don't make to very many calls I got the explanation that they are on a mileage program and are only budgeted for so many miles a day. There is very few officers in southern alberta and a ton of area to cover. So if you do run into that situation again just take some pictures of the license plate and maybe a few of the people from a distance with your zoom and then report them. Explain to them that you did get the license plate on camera and some pictures of the fish and people as evidence and let them know you can email them in. They are more then happy to follow it up if you can get them some evidence.

Nate

Bogman10
06-02-2009, 07:22 PM
last year a buddy saw an "extended family" , with a giant cooler filled with rainbows from a pothole he was fishing. His boat and some other people ,tried to tell them about the limits, they acted like they couldn't understand english, loaded up the van , and probably moved to another lake ( just a guess). Makes me CRAZY!!!!!!! I love to eat fish too, but lets play by the rules!
Of course we are preaching to the chior here, as I am sure anybody on this site knows that it suks some times putting that juice walleye back to fight another day , but we all know why we should.

Renslipevol
06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Who knows if he and his clan even had licenses.....F&W needs to be around more. I remember when I was a kid (I'm 33) when we were on the lake, there was a fish cop either on the water or on the road away from the lake. I haven't even seen a F&W vehicle for at least 5 or 6 years. Jerkheads think that taking their kids down to a lake and catch some some fish is a right.

I've seen quite a few posts already on this same subject. I can't imagine how many people are breaking fishing laws everyday....

Donavonszoo
06-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Please don't single any group of people out, there are bad apples from every walk of life, regardless of where they are from or who they are. I mentioned the number of people in my first post yes but as you can see by the highlighted word seatbelt that my focus was not who they were specifically but the unsafe seatbelt issue involving the children.
Lets keep this thread a clean one shall we?

I-Love-Eyes
06-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Seatbelts, illegal fish , whatever...those people have no respect for any laws!!

FishBrain
06-03-2009, 11:17 AM
And a punch in the head gets you a date in court, while they kill everything they hook

Donavonszoo
06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
There is a nasty word that is associated with some of these comments, this thread is not about that at all,
its about letting people know whats happening out there at our lakes and that we can make a difference... I'm actually offended that its gone the way it has and that my name is associated with it.
This is a public forum and spouting propaganda is not acceptable. I'm surprised that this thread has not gotten deleted because of some of these blatant comments..
Now I'm not telling you to change who you are because thats your business but the least you can do is keep it clean and don't cross lines that shouldn't be crossed and if you cant do that please keep the comments to yourself.

I'm truly sorry if this thread has offended anyone who has read it.
I really didn't think it would go the way it has.
Donavon

fluxcore
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
There is a nasty word that is associated with some of these comments, this thread is not about that at all,
its about letting people know whats happening out there at our lakes and that we can make a difference... I'm actually offended that its gone the way it has and that my name is associated with it.
This is a public forum and spouting propaganda is not acceptable. I'm surprised that this thread has not gotten deleted because of some of these blatant comments..
Now I'm not telling you to change who you are because thats your business but the least you can do is keep it clean and don't cross lines that shouldn't be crossed and if you cant do that please keep the comments to yourself.

I'm truly sorry if this thread has offended anyone who has read it.
I really didn't think it would go the way it has.
Donavon

uummmmm OK whats so bad or unacceptable about this thread? get a life the internet police cant pay much:lol:

Donavonszoo
06-03-2009, 06:28 PM
uummmmm OK whats so bad or unacceptable about this thread? get a life the internet police cant pay much:lol:

There is nothing about the thread initially that was bad, some of the later posts however push a boundary that shouldn't be crossed. This is a public forum and younger people do read the posts and I've seen some that are members as well... you can tell me to get a life or think what you want, I have kids and wouldn't want them reading posts, from outdoors men they look up to, that come across like the problem post did. I'm simply trying to keep things in focus. This is a outdoors man forum and not a finger pointing forum.
BTW the internet police pays large:tongue2:
Donavon

marlin1
06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
oops