PDA

View Full Version : Spinning rod for pike.

Bushleague
06-09-2018, 06:32 PM
I've recently been looking around for a dedicated pike rod for casting lures. I'd like it 6.5-8' long, a fast med-heavy action, and I need it to be a two piece. Not interested in getting back into baitcasting at this point so I'm looking for a spinning rod. I'm not seeing much that fits this description, any suggestions?

fishpro
06-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Take a look at the St Croix Premier series, I believe they have both a MH and H action in a two-piece. I have the 7' heavy action and quite like it.

Asillywalrus
06-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Depends on the price point you're looking at.

For $170 you can get a 7' medium heavy fast elite tech bass rod which would be a great rod.

If you were looking for something a little more I'd get a G. Loomis GL3 in a 6'6" medium heavy fast action. I think those run about $300 but I'm not sure on the exact price.

There is also a 6"6 MH fast Clarus that would probably work for you as well which go for about $90

Bushleague
06-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, with a little more digging I found that Rapala actually has a pretty good selection of stout 2 piece rods.

EZM
06-10-2018, 02:32 PM
The key thing when finding the right rod for Pike is to get one with a lure weight rating designed to allow you to cast bigger and heavier lures. There is ZERO point in getting a rod that won't cast any lure over an ounce or two for Pike fishing.

Med Heavy Power with a fast or extra fast action is ideal for most trolling and casting.

I also wouldn't go too long - they are such a pain in the butt when the canopy is up in the boat or you need to lay the rod down anywhere. I like a 7' but wouldn't go any longer ..... sure a 9' would cast further, but the extra 2' is such a pain.

I have a few St.Croix Musky rods and a Shimano Compre Pike/Musky rod which allows me to troll or cast big heavy lures.

RavYak
06-10-2018, 04:42 PM
It is getting harder to find good pike rods. Lots of the MH stuff available now is on the light side and only rated to like 3/4 oz which that works good for small/average pike but not great if you want to use a bit heavier gear or target bigger fish consistently.

I like 7' or even 7'6 for a bit longer casting and to keep pressure on fish easier but anything longer starts to wear a guy out because longer rods give the fish more leverage. I also don't like rods that are too fast but a big part of that is using braided line.

Some inshore rods would work really nice for pike. I wish we had more stuff like that available here.

Bushleague
06-10-2018, 07:15 PM
It is getting harder to find good pike rods. Lots of the MH stuff available now is on the light side and only rated to like 3/4 oz which that works good for small/average pike but not great if you want to use a bit heavier gear or target bigger fish consistently.

I like 7' or even 7'6 for a bit longer casting and to keep pressure on fish easier but anything longer starts to wear a guy out because longer rods give the fish more leverage. I also don't like rods that are too fast but a big part of that is using braided line.

Some inshore rods would work really nice for pike. I wish we had more stuff like that available here.

Amen to that brother... Ive handled some med heavy rods that are noticeably less stiff than some of my medium action rods. The last series of Compres come to mind, handled the new ones today and they feel much stiffer.

Ideally Id like a 7 foot rod, but six inches either way isn't a big deal. At this point I'm leaning towards either a Rapala Magnum or a Tica Striper series.

lastlatvian
06-10-2018, 08:34 PM
for southern alberta size pike I use a shimano stradic 2500fj and a shimano convergence 6'6" rod or 4 piece trout rod from rapala (little shorter). A medium set up with a light colour worm single tale hook is also great for trout and pike.

Picture from Glenmore