PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake

Grayling1
06-12-2018, 06:46 PM
I am planning on fishing Cold Lake next week does anyone know how deep the lake trout are?

Coiloil37
06-12-2018, 09:58 PM
I spent a week there over May long and caught them all between 70-120’. I didn’t spend much time looking in the shallow water but found lots where I was fishing.

Take some northern king spoons. They outfished everything else I tried.

EZM
06-12-2018, 10:13 PM
I don't buy the "absolute rule" they are deep in summer and shallow in spring on many lakes including cold lake. Mark fish and drop and drag your gear there. Might be 20' or it might be 90'

Ice off the lake - early season - many many years and we are down 60'-90' and catching fish best at that depth.

Summer on a lake that size and the thermocline isn't that deep, and I've caught tons of lakers in August down only 25' or 30' (longer set back).

I've also caught them casting a spoon into "the soup" and jerking it on the surface in low light as they drive bait to the surface in the middle of summer.

I've also nailed on a fish down 120' off the rigger and then one on the planner board on a deep diving rapala (maybe down 20') like 4 minutes apart.

Lakers go where there is food. Mark them and fish where you see the fish.

58thecat
06-14-2018, 04:10 PM
If you have electronics as in fish liar use it, hunt for the bait balls with hits just off of them, get the depth and go get them, they are lake trout and are very easy to catch using various techniques but sitting in the middle of now where with not an indication on the fish liar gadget is like winking at a beautiful woman in a dark room, you know what your doing but no one else does....good luck eh!

RavYak
06-14-2018, 09:19 PM
I most often catch them in 50-120 fow and some suspended over deeper water.. The depth will depend on the location, time of day, weather and likely a number of other effects.

As others have said move around until you see fish on your fish finder. Then target them at whatever depth they are at. Shallower fish are usually more active, you can't always find shallower fish though.

Grayling1
06-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Thx for the Info I tried fishing twice for Lake trout on the weekend they seemed to be at every level but none were biting. (Most people I talked to were having little luck) We did manage to fill our over 50cm tags from Wolf Lake. (beautiful big lake with few boats on the water)

RavYak
06-18-2018, 08:10 PM
Thx for the Info I tried fishing twice for Lake trout on the weekend they seemed to be at every level but none were biting.

Lake trout can be picky. Once you find them then you need to dial them in. If you are marking fish they are looking at what you are offering so keep switching things up regularly until you start catching.

Moving around to find more active fish can be effective too. If I am marking fish but can't get them to bite or chase jigs etc then it often isn't worth wasting time trying to catch them. Just move and find some fish more interested in feeding.

Big Thumper
06-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Thx for the Info I tried fishing twice for Lake trout on the weekend they seemed to be at every level but none were biting. (Most people I talked to were having little luck) We did manage to fill our over 50cm tags from Wolf Lake. (beautiful big lake with few boats on the water)

We fished Sunday from 8 AM to 4 PM with a couple hours off in town for lunch. Two of us brought 63 lakers to the boat. Took us an hour or so to find them with only two fish the first hour and a few bites. Three were legal with the biggest at 82 cm. Only a couple under 5 lbs. They were a bit shallower than we find them in July . They were on or near bottom(within ten feet) on a shelf at 55 to 75 ft, give or take. First fish of the day was in 80 ft but suspended at 40 ft. It was the best fishing I've seen this early with us hooking up as soon as we were back on bottom. Weather was perfect, hardly a ripple on the water!

ROA
06-18-2018, 09:37 PM
We fished Sunday from 8 AM to 4 PM with a couple hours off in town for lunch. Two of us brought 63 lakers to the boat. Took us an hour or so to find them with only two fish the first hour and a few bites. Three were legal with the biggest at 82 cm. Only a couple under 5 lbs. They were a bit shallower than we find them in July . They were on or near bottom(within ten feet) on a shelf at 55 to 75 ft, give or take. First fish of the day was in 80 ft but suspended at 40 ft. It was the best fishing I've seen this early with us hooking up as soon as we were back on bottom. Weather was perfect, hardly a ripple on the water!

Sounds similar fishing strategies I used but a bit better results then I had a few weeks ago out there. I can tell you one thing about the lake, it’s not nearly as good as it was even a few short years ago. Guys have to work for it harder now and lots get skunked. Pro tip for the newb.....down size from what you think/read/heard/seen on TV......try a jig and minnow pretend you are fishing for finicky walleye but in deeper water.....Your welcome....

Grayling1
06-18-2018, 11:03 PM
Good to hear you were catching fish Big Thumper I wish I would have been where you were we fished Sunday from 8 to 10 am when we ran out of battery power for the trolling motor also trying depths where you had luck.

58thecat
06-18-2018, 11:16 PM
Was out Sunday from 10-12, caught four lakers using a pink lady, willow leaf attached to it and then three feet behind that a 4" apex hot spot rainbow trout pattern. Approx 30 feet down, just farting around then went for pike after....was too hot out for my liking and the freeking big fly's were disgusting so packed it in but the trout were hitting:sHa_shakeshout:

Big Thumper
06-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Was out Sunday from 10-12, caught four lakers using a pink lady, willow leaf attached to it and then three feet behind that a 4" apex hot spot rainbow trout pattern. Approx 30 feet down, just farting around then went for pike after....was too hot out for my liking and the freeking big fly's were disgusting so packed it in but the trout were hitting:sHa_shakeshout:

We had those big flies too, thankfully, they were not biting flies It was hot, we used our dun roof for the first time this year!.

Penner
06-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Horse fly's. As long as your skin isn't wet from the water or sweating you will be fine. If you skin happens to get wet and they take a bite, you'll know.

-JR-
06-19-2018, 03:06 PM

Fishing been getting better every year at Cold ,numbers are getting up there.
Having the days where the water is like glass sure is nice ......Thanks for sharing.

Group of us are heading up July Long . I hope the weather is the same.

lromanchuk
06-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Fishing been getting better every year at Cold ,numbers are getting up there.
Having the days where the water is like glass sure is nice ......Thanks for sharing.

Group of us are heading up July Long . I hope the weather is the same.

I would have to disagree. I've seen a pretty steady decline in number of fish and quality of fish in the last decade. You can still have descent days of catching 10+ each and the odd 85+ cm slob, but its fewer and farther between. Defiantly more fishing pressure now, and I think its starting to show.

RavYak
06-20-2018, 10:13 PM
I would have to disagree. I've seen a pretty steady decline in number of fish and quality of fish in the last decade. You can still have descent days of catching 10+ each and the odd 85+ cm slob, but its fewer and farther between. Defiantly more fishing pressure now, and I think its starting to show.

I catch 10+ lakers most days while fishing in my kayak and have had 30+ fish days. If you are using a boat 10+ should be easy.

Catching big fish is hit or miss, mostly just low to mid 20's(inches) and a few high 20's/low 30's.

MooseRiverTrapper
06-20-2018, 10:18 PM
Right at the launch the sign says a 75cm trout is 18 plus years old. Only in Alberta would they encourage you to kill an ancient fish like that. Could have a slot for a month of retention in the summer and a month of retention in the winter. Keep one small one, 45-55cm along those lines.

RavYak
06-20-2018, 10:27 PM
I think slot would be good but I'd set it larger then that. Say 65-75 cm. Wouldn't affect the population too much but would make it so there are more trophies swimming around and the fish people do keep would be better eating.

Willowtrail
06-21-2018, 04:50 PM
I think slot would be good but I'd set it larger then that. Say 65-75 cm. Wouldn't affect the population too much but would make it so there are more trophies swimming around and the fish people do keep would be better eating.

I agree on the slot size but as for the size I am unsure. I want to agree with what you posted but.... Every person that goes out there and catches a laker, is likely going to catch one in that slot and how long until it's fished out?

I don't keep many fish myself, I kept 3 all last year, 1 laker, 1 walleye and 1 burbot but know there are guys going out there to catch to keep.

35 whelen
06-21-2018, 08:25 PM
I would have to disagree. I've seen a pretty steady decline in number of fish and quality of fish in the last decade. You can still have descent days of catching 10+ each and the odd 85+ cm slob, but its fewer and farther between. Defiantly more fishing pressure now, and I think its starting to show. I would have to agree been Fishin cold Lake for about 12 years now and that's what I've been finding smaller fish and not as many

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RavYak
06-21-2018, 09:37 PM
I agree on the slot size but as for the size I am unsure. I want to agree with what you posted but.... Every person that goes out there and catches a laker, is likely going to catch one in that slot and how long until it's fished out?

I don't keep many fish myself, I kept 3 all last year, 1 laker, 1 walleye and 1 burbot but know there are guys going out there to catch to keep.

It can't get fished out as long as the minimum size is large enough that the fish can spawn a time or two before they reach minimum size. I would think 65 cm would allow that but could be wrong and maybe it needs to be say 70 cm. The bios would be able to determine that length quite easily(they should already know it).

You would probably notice fewer fish in the 65-75 cm range but you would also catch more 20-30+ lbers which is a trade I would make any day of the week. I also wonder if the 65-75 cm sizes would actually get fished out though, I think it might be like Calling or Slave were the lake is productive enough to support retention. It sees decent pressure but really not that much considering the size of it and I would imagine most locals would rather find a walleye or pike to eat since the meat is far superior.

One other thing to think about is the guys that go out to try and catch a keeper currently C&R probably 30-40 smaller fish on average before they catch a keeper and with noticeable C&R mortality. If those guys only had to go catch 5-10 fish to catch their one keeper they could end up killing fewer fish then what they currently do.

-JR-
06-22-2018, 06:01 AM
They would go for a tag system before they go for just a slot size.

58thecat
06-22-2018, 06:08 AM
I would have to agree been Fishin cold Lake for about 12 years now and that's what I've been finding smaller fish and not as many

Well been on this lake 15 years, 20 minutes from front door to on the lake, my take is the last 3 years have been incredible with lots of just legal or smaller, throw in say every 20 fish we catch a legal of bigger one but a quick picture then over they go to grow.
These undersized ones are starting to get to that legal size but that's where the problem is, us as anglers have to regulate ourselves if this pale is to ever meet a true trophy lake.
We got out and if we are concentrating on the lake trout, fish in and around the bait balls getting marks etc we can put 20 plus fish on in a few hours...in between sandwiches :)

RavYak
06-22-2018, 07:26 AM

Yup and unlike walleye I wouldn't have an issue with tags there. They aren't worth eating lol.

35 whelen
06-22-2018, 11:14 AM
They could do like they did on the Red River in Manitoba one trophy tag fish a year then have a slot size for eaters

MooseRiverTrapper
06-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Would it be shocking and upsetting to most if we took one of the few lake trout lakes in Alberta and made it C&R? It is the only trout lake in AB with a large town on its shore and a huge provincial park. Imagine a lake two hours away from millions of people that had catchable 30lb fish.

Teamprotz
06-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Lake has trophy potential but where are they ? A handful of 30’s a year for the pressure it gets makes me wonder, Manitoba is the other way , allowing fish under 65cm to be kept and no retention of larger fish. That has proven to work

aulrich
06-22-2018, 11:37 AM
They could do like they did on the Red River in Manitoba one trophy tag fish a year then have a slot size for eaters

I would like to see that for most species and waters

aulrich
06-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Going a little OT.

I have some flatfish blanks that I need to put some paint to, what are some go to colors. at this point I am thinking silver, gold, glow and firetiger.

Penner
06-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Lake has trophy potential but where are they ? A handful of 30’s a year for the pressure it gets makes me wonder, Manitoba is the other way , allowing fish under 65cm to be kept and no retention of larger fish. That has proven to work

Will never work here. 4x the population 1/50th of fishable water bodies.

Penner
06-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Would it be shocking and upsetting to most if we took one of the few lake trout lakes in Alberta and made it C&R? It is the only trout lake in AB with a large town on its shore and a huge provincial park. Imagine a lake two hours away from millions of people that had catchable 30lb fish.

I would support it 100% but would need to have a bait ban in addition. Lakers are poor table fair particularly the larger ones.

Prophet River
06-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Lakers are poor table fair particularly the larger ones.

I disagree, i think lakers are wonderful table fair, they are just are 'heavier' and recipes that work for walleye, whitefish etc may not work with them as well.

LCCFisherman
06-22-2018, 01:26 PM
They should make it C&R on LKTR.... about 5 years overdue.

Okotok
06-22-2018, 01:45 PM
I disagree, i think lakers are wonderful table fair, they are just are 'heavier' and recipes that work for walleye, whitefish etc may not work with them as well.

Excellent smoked or grilled as well. I smoked a few a couple of months ago. Yum! Cook it like you would any Char.

cube
06-22-2018, 03:06 PM

They have already tried to put it on a tag system from my understanding. The only thing that stopped it was the fact that the lake is shared with Saskatchewan which had no interest in starting a tag system in their province. So they both just agreed to make the minimum retention size larger.

58thecat
06-22-2018, 03:11 PM
I would support it 100% but would need to have a bait ban in addition. Lakers are poor table fair particularly the larger ones.

I agree on the larger ones, if I had a choice the 2-4lbs ones are great eating with little to no oil/belly fat etc.
Pierce lake is where I go for a eater.

Okotok
06-22-2018, 05:00 PM
I agree on the larger ones, if I had a choice the 2-4lbs ones are great eating with little to no oil/belly fat etc.
Pierce lake is where I go for a eater.

Out of a Territories or Northern Saskatchewan or similar lake under a ten pound range, they are delicious in my opinion.

35 whelen
06-22-2018, 08:55 PM
I would definitely take a northern pike over a lake trout any day especially over the far Northern regions

58thecat
06-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Yup give me a pike out of cold water over any fresh water game fish.....hmmmm.....or pan size cutthroat trout....or....ah heck now I'm hungry!

thorne
06-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Interesting how many people don't care for Lakers....I think they are fantastic! Just treat it like salmon and go fo it! I think they are awesome! Oh well to each there own...but if have never cedar planked a nice size lake...you are missing out!

Coltye
06-23-2018, 11:02 AM
I am planning on fishing Cold Lake next week does anyone know how deep the lake trout are?

I too am heading up there July 4th are the walleye hard to find in the there? Taking wife and kids and would like to get on some fish, don't want spots just wondering as its first time to the lake. We are staying at the provincial park.

Bisch
06-24-2018, 09:33 AM
I caught mine between 65’ and 80’ just off steeper drop offs. Slow in the afternoon, but they hammered between 5-7pm. No keeper sizes, but a really fat 63cm to the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thorne
06-24-2018, 10:06 AM
Will never work here. 4x the population 1/50th of fishable water bodies.

This is where Alberta gets the crappy end of the stick unfortunately....all you have to do is take a quick look at Google earth to see that it has by far the poorest selection of lakes in Canada, but yet has high pressure use. Put those together and you have a very unique situation that the rest of the country doesn't have. Meaning the powers at be have to devise unique and most times, not to favourable regulations to manage the balance in order to try and balance on a very very thin line....I by far don't have the answers, but I do get the difficulty of the situation. We here in Alberta kinda have to come to terms with the fact that we got delt a bad hand from mother nature on the recreational fishing, maybe to off set the other abundance of natural resources that have benefited us more then the rest of Canada.

58thecat
06-24-2018, 11:06 AM
This is where Alberta gets the crappy end of the stick unfortunately....all you have to do is take a quick look at Google earth to see that it has by far the poorest selection of lakes in Canada, but yet has high pressure use. Put those together and you have a very unique situation that the rest of the country doesn't have. Meaning the powers at be have to devise unique and most times, not to favourable regulations to manage the balance in order to try and balance on a very very thin line....I by far don't have the answers, but I do get the difficulty of the situation. We here in Alberta kinda have to come to terms with the fact that we got delt a bad hand from mother nature on the recreational fishing, maybe to off set the other abundance of natural resources that have benefited us more then the rest of Canada.

Our fisheries will get better but we as anglers have to manage ourselves too.
Just because you can keep it doesn't mean you have to. enjoy the catch, the outing, the trip it's all part of the adventure.
Have fished with people in the past and it was a race, a competition, frustration and kept every bloody thing legally that they could....I asked why....they respond "cuz"....I mentioned how about a nice shore lunch and enjoy a fish...

Ref cold lake the lakers are slowly going deeper but I always fish at about 30-50 feet of water in and around the bait...the lakers will hit...

58thecat
07-01-2018, 08:01 AM
Well out for a bit yesterday 1hr landed six, lost three, multiple hits...then the long wk-end Warriors woke up and hit the lake....honestly what possesses a person to rip by people in canoes, small boats etc all fishing not more than thirty yards away?.....so we packed up and went to the launch to head home just to see another group booze in hand all jump into a few high end boats with kids for another great long wk-end of potential disaster so we got the heck out of dodge:sHa_shakeshout:
Be safe out there.
Oh yeah caught in 150' of water on edges dipping from 50'. We were at 40'-50', pink lady, willow leaf and using apex trolling lure 3" and 4" blue melon....combination was deadly.

barbless
07-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Some awesome info guys thanks. Ya the long weekend warriors are one of the reasons I do not venture out too often but I would be on the lake at day break and off by 11am then back out about 6 till 8 or 9pm. Just wondering about how long of a drive from Calgary? 25ft class C Motor home and 17ft boat. Would really like to head up there in mid August.

simmered
07-01-2018, 04:18 PM
From Calgary not in a motor home its around a 6 hour drive. So in a motorhome pulling a boat plan for 6.5 to 7.

simmered
07-01-2018, 04:20 PM
apex trolling lure 3" and 4" blue melon....combination was deadly.

Started using those a few years ago, they do work very well. When bite slows down I've put on smaller 2" ones and have picked up more fish that didn't seem to want the bigger lures.

barbless
07-02-2018, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the estimate of time. Will go for a week in mid Aug. I think. Should be an experience. I will search on-line for camp spots and good boat launch unless our members can suggest one :happy0034: . Maybe just before I go I will get your secret spots to fish at....:sHa_sarcasticlol::snapoutofit: LOL I will try searching back in the forums to get some help on lures and methods. I have downriggers, multiple rods, very wide assortment of lures (2 trunks full) to use for Lakers, Pike, Walleye, and more. Thanks to all

pikehunter1989
07-02-2018, 07:24 AM
For campground and boat launch the provincial park there will meet both your needs. Very nice private campsites and a nice boat launch aswell

barbless
07-02-2018, 07:33 AM
For campground and boat launch the provincial park there will meet both your needs. Very nice private campsites and a nice boat launch aswell
Thanks pikehunter1989 I will check it out.

simmered
07-02-2018, 08:14 AM
English bay is another option. Lake is closer to the campsites there and you should be able to beach your boat so your not trying to launch it everyday with your motorhome. Keep in mind to get wood there it is only a few times a week and its in the evenings for about an hour, just an FYI.

Teamprotz
07-02-2018, 08:33 AM
What’s it like getting wood at main provincial park ? Do I have to pay or bring it from home ? Be there July 23-28 ( if I get a truck lol )

barbless
07-02-2018, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the options of where to go and camp. I love options. Are the boat launches too steep or easy enough for the motor home to launch or take out my boat? Really don't like to leave my boat unattended or unprotected over night. All the insight of your experience's with this lake and camping at Cold Lake is very much appreciated. It will make for an enjoyable and hopefully successful fishing trip. :happy0180:

58thecat
07-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Provincial park has a steep/deeplaunch, French bay is shallow and sandy not sure about English bay.
Marina is steep/deep too.
You can launch at the marina and have someone drive around to French bay to camp and then take your boat and leave it in French bay, kinda protected there too then your not farting around with boat in/out etc during your stay.
Just a thought.

simmered
07-02-2018, 01:02 PM
What’s it like getting wood at main provincial park ? Do I have to pay or bring it from home ? Be there July 23-28 ( if I get a truck lol )

wood at prov park is easy. gate attendant there all day and its $10 for a blue tub (approx. 2 milk crates worth)

Grayling1
07-06-2018, 08:25 PM

I'm giving Cold Lake another try next week does anyone have some updated
Information, I bought some of the big Cold Lake jigs I am going to try, any information on how to use them and what bait to use?

-JR-
07-07-2018, 06:13 AM
If you are jigging ,you should get a min 150 ft rope at princess auto so you do not drift .Set your your sonar up by removing the fish ID ,you will locate them better. Jigging for lakers is just like jigging for Walleye.

Tip it with a minnow and hold it 1 foot off the bottom.
Tube jigs are ok ,better yet is a Bondy Bait from fishing hole .
Burbit colour seems to be the best at cold lake. $25.00 each.
They work 10x better than a tube jig in summer only.
Never had luck in winter with them. Deadly in summer!
http://www.bondybaitcompany.com/buybaits.html

58thecat
07-07-2018, 09:01 AM
And don't forget to bang the bottom, stir up the sediment etc

Sometimes a bang quick reel up, wait, drop, repeat but maybe change how many reals up if they are on hang on.

35 whelen
07-08-2018, 06:27 AM
A cheap trick for jigging if you need to stay in one spot and it's not too windy you can bring a couple 5 gallon pails and tie them to the side of the boat use them as a drift anchor are by drift anchors they're not too expensive either, never fish Cold Lake in the summer but fished lots of other Lakes for Lakers in the summer and jiggin works great.

Big Thumper
07-09-2018, 06:20 PM
we were out saturday evening in the wind and sunday morning. wind kept us from catching too many as we couldn't sit over the ledge but would get a double header every pass just about. sunday morning wind was less and two if us manged about 40 in 4.5 hours. we got off the lake at 1130 AM and they were slowing. there were in a bit deeper water than a few weeks ago. two were just over the 75cm minimum and one was 85

Teamprotz
07-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Are there any perch accessible in cold lake this time of year ?

Teamprotz
07-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Be up Sunday to Friday site F114. Blue tracker targa , anchored with orange ball. Stop and say hi

Willowtrail
07-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Be up Sunday to Friday site F114. Blue tracker targa , anchored with orange ball. Stop and say hi

I'll just miss you, I get there next Saturday for 4 nights. Pretty sure I've talked to you before anchored over by Garnett. Good luck out there

-JR-
07-19-2018, 07:43 PM
i'm hoping on heading up Aug 9-12 if it stops raining

fish99
07-19-2018, 09:02 PM
will be up that way first part of august blue crestliner say hello or fish on.

-JR-
07-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Looks like rain the first week in Aug Second week looks better. SO FAR!

Teamprotz
07-23-2018, 02:24 PM
Can someone please make the wind go away ! Lol. Going nuts in the campground !

Teamprotz
07-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Had a good morning. Fished 8-1130 , my son, daughters boyfriend and father in law. Biggest were 79 , 82 and 84 cm natural drop , not pinched tail . Landed 34 total. 90-107ft on jigs

dugh
07-31-2018, 07:38 AM
fish99, I'll be there tuesday aft until Friday noonish. Blue Crestliner flying Canadian flag. Good luck.
Doug

walleyechaser
07-31-2018, 08:25 AM
Had a good morning. Fished 8-1130 , my son, daughters boyfriend and father in law. Biggest were 79 , 82 and 84 cm natural drop , not pinched tail . Landed 34 total. 90-107ft on jigsNice haul, looks like you guys have cold lake down eh. Jigging them is a blast (kind of odd as I hate jigging for walleye)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Teamprotz
07-31-2018, 11:11 AM
Wednesday was slower , none over but 25 in 3 hours .....And then Thursday rolled around. Dead calm and couldn’t get bit on our spot so moved down the lake and caught a few. BIG change and not sure what it was ! Might go up for Sunday if things work out

Coiloil37
07-31-2018, 02:24 PM
I’ll be there aug 25-29, hoping for some good weather. Any tips for fall lakers or will it be the same as any other time of year? I’ve only fished the lake once and it was this past may.

Teamprotz
07-31-2018, 03:05 PM
I prefer to jig on structure but there was lots of suspended fish around the sask border , 50-70ft in 100ft. Pretty much the same , mark fish and work them

Coiloil37
07-31-2018, 04:20 PM
I prefer to jig on structure but there was lots of suspended fish around the sask border , 50-70ft in 100ft. Pretty much the same , mark fish and work them

To easy. I’ve got good electronics to help me find them and have a few spots I found last trip. I’ll double stack the downriggers and troll around until I find what I’m looking for and what they want to hit.

I know it depends on the lures being run and their respective action but what speed do most of you troll them at? Last time I seemed to have the most luck around 2.2mph but I’m open to opinions.

-JR-
07-31-2018, 04:47 PM
2.9mph

-JR-
08-05-2018, 08:03 AM
I'm heading up on thursday now.
Any one have any reports on how they did on the long weekend,would be great to here before i ship out .

dugh
08-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Fishing was great, no keepers but lots of fish. I came home Friday afternoon, trolled different depths (40 to 100), barbless spoons. Going back Tuesday to give jigging a try, never done that for lakers, any tips? :test:
Doug

-JR-
08-05-2018, 04:07 PM
What colour were they hitting on ?

Teamprotz
08-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Boat launch looks like a scene from jaws when all the boats are leaving the harbour , or mr bean launches a boat !

dugh
08-06-2018, 12:48 PM
JR, I don't think color mattered just depth and speed. That being said, 5 of diamonds, blue and silver wobblers, white and red, ruby eye, Canadian Wigglers worked too. Water was too rough for the kicker at times so used the big motor and caught some at over 3 mph. I didn't get anything over 72cm though, my wife and I do mostly catch and release anyway. Going back tomorrow to try our hand at jigging a bit but we mostly troll.
Good luck.
Doug

Brock1
08-07-2018, 02:19 PM
Was out on the long weekend and caught a ton of fish at all depths, but the bigger ones were definitely deeper, like 95-105 ft. The Most people i have ever seen by far on the lake for sure.
I have some huge concerns though. Why not make this lake like Calling lake and have a small 10 cm slot size like 50-60 cm and keep 1 fish.

The number of fish we caught was awesome and they were all fat and happy which is great, but the lack of the big ones is alarming.
What are we doing keeping these big mature fish that taste terrible compared to a 3 - 5 lber.

There was a great read on Calling lake and why the slot works so well to sustain a lake on here a few weeks ago.

the biggest we caught was 74cm and several at 68-71. They were all fat with little heads so not old fish by any means.

the other thing I thought of is mortality, we hooked 3 different fish in the eye, and all of my Laker hooks are barbless luckily. a couple more had gill damage because of the hook was taken deep on the strike. I even went to a single hook set up and missed a few but it worked fine.

I talked to probably a dozen other groups who mostly had 20 plus fish afternoons and not one of them had caught a keeper the whole long weekend.
Great fishing and weather on an excellent fishery and even had 3 folks with me who had never fished for lakers and never seen a Down rigger, so that was so fun.
anyone else experience the same thing?

Tight lines all!

bobalong
08-07-2018, 04:43 PM
JR, I don't think color mattered just depth and speed. That being said, 5 of diamonds, blue and silver wobblers, white and red, ruby eye, Canadian Wigglers worked too. Water was too rough for the kicker at times so used the big motor and caught some at over 3 mph. I didn't get anything over 72cm though, my wife and I do mostly catch and release anyway. Going back tomorrow to try our hand at jigging a bit but we mostly troll.
Good luck.
Doug

I have never found the color of lures to matter much either. Like you said depth and speed and I think the shape of lure (spoons/cranks) are all key before color. When one spoon/crank is always catching the most fish people assume it is the color when usually it is the vibration that it puts out as they usually "feel" (lateral line)the lure, often before they see the lure.

I have noticed a definite difference with color while fly fishing trout. Size, speed and depth is still important but color seems to be pretty important as well especially with chironomids and scuds. May also be because they are fished very slow to stationary which limits vibration and gives the trout a good look at the presentation.

fish99
08-07-2018, 06:49 PM
fish99, I'll be there tuesday aft until Friday noonish. Blue Crestliner flying Canadian flag. Good luck.
Doug

fished july 30 thru august 3 unbelievable action and water conditions we jigged for the most part. the lure would not hit the bottom and fish on , none stop for over 3 hours at a time and spot, when it got slow we would troll to the next spot at 2.8 mph. on the first 2 days we had to 2 fish each day over 75 cm but did not keep any . we found the bigger fish deeper . they seemed to school in size groups, we would get into a 8 to 10 lb school, this was the best fishing since we have been going to cold lake . one smaller fish in the 2 - 5 lb class would better to eat then the 12 plus lb you now need in order to keep. lucked out on the winds this year that was out of the norm as well.

-JR-
08-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Was out on the long weekend and caught a ton of fish at all depths, but the bigger ones were definitely deeper, like 95-105 ft. The Most people i have ever seen by far on the lake for sure.
I have some huge concerns though. Why not make this lake like Calling lake and have a small 10 cm slot size like 50-60 cm and keep 1 fish.

The number of fish we caught was awesome and they were all fat and happy which is great, but the lack of the big ones is alarming.
What are we doing keeping these big mature fish that taste terrible compared to a 3 - 5 lber.

There was a great read on Calling lake and why the slot works so well to sustain a lake on here a few weeks ago.

the biggest we caught was 74cm and several at 68-71. They were all fat with little heads so not old fish by any means.

the other thing I thought of is mortality, we hooked 3 different fish in the eye, and all of my Laker hooks are barbless luckily. a couple more had gill damage because of the hook was taken deep on the strike. I even went to a single hook set up and missed a few but it worked fine.

I talked to probably a dozen other groups who mostly had 20 plus fish afternoons and not one of them had caught a keeper the whole long weekend.
Great fishing and weather on an excellent fishery and even had 3 folks with me who had never fished for lakers and never seen a Down rigger, so that was so fun.
anyone else experience the same thing?

Tight lines all!

I am all in favour of slot size ,but it is going to get fished out in a few years again.
So to have a slot size you are going to have a tag system for those fish .

pikeman06
08-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Mortality is huge on summer caught lake trout. It's a shame to be yanking trebles out of their eyes and throwing back bleeders. We've all seen it and done it. Don't you all think if it was just one small one and you are done it would save the guys looking for the keepers from cycling thru dozens of fish and invariably killing a few anyways. Screw the tags there's gotta be a better way. When will they ever realize that protecting the bigger breeding walleye pike and Lakers is smart cheap conservation instead of killing them all then wonder why there is no recruitment after its too late?

58thecat
08-08-2018, 06:06 AM
This just comes down to it again, us, regs are out there but we regulate us.

Slot size, limits, keepers not keepers doesn't mean you go hog wild legally "catch your limit but limit your catch" was a boat sticker I use to have on the the ol'canoe!

I just enjoy the outdoors, fishing, hanging out, can of beans and a tin of sardines satisfies me....if the horse fly's cooperate!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Oh yeah I also went to single hook barbless for lakers, miss a few, catch a lot, and I believe don't injure near as many as I use to when first trying to catch them :sHa_shakeshout:

EZM
08-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Good luck.
Doug

I also place a lower emphasis on color versus getting the lure to the target depth, to target speed they like and, of course, the lure's action.

Colour seems to be the last thing I consider.

Walleye101
08-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Anybody been up to the Marineau? I'm guessing the water levels are higher this year than previous years.

dugh
08-12-2018, 07:12 PM
fish99, did you have an umbrella on your blue Crestliner at Cold Lake end of month. I saw a couple jigging north of the pp launch. Went back this past week, C&R fishing was awesome as usual, biggest was 73cm 100fow.

-JR-
08-13-2018, 05:57 AM
Non stop action this weekend for us also ,fish are starting to feed more for fall.
Going to be alot of nice legal Lakers in about 5 years .

thorne
08-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Fished the north end all Saturday and half day Sunday befor the wind and rain finally convinced us to call it done around 2:00.....boated over 120 fish in that time with about 20 or so keepers. We found a huge concentration of Lakers and huge schools of bait fish over 1km or so area and just worked em with herring rigs at 40-60' down in 180-80 feet of water. Out of the keepers only 2 were retained for shore lunches. Wind and rain made for interesting fishing on Sunday, but the constant double headers made up for it.

Penner
08-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Non stop action this weekend for us also ,fish are starting to feed more for fall.
Going to be alot of nice legal Lakers in about 5 years .

I highly doubt it. Lakers grow slowly and the keepers are being thinned out constantly with all of the angling pressure.

58thecat
08-13-2018, 07:27 PM
I highly doubt it. Lakers grow slowly and the keepers are being thinned out constantly with all of the angling pressure.

About every ten fish we catch on average are keepers but we let them slip into the water, I see many do the same to, lake has not got the pressure it had when the oil patch was booming, trust me those were some scary times, a lot more boats out there then.

Penner
08-14-2018, 11:02 AM
About every ten fish we catch on average are keepers but we let them slip into the water, I see many do the same to, lake has not got the pressure it had when the oil patch was booming, trust me those were some scary times, a lot more boats out there then.

There is no question the % of keepers being caught today is at a fraction as compare to when the size limit first increased a handful of years back. I know several local residents whom have fished all year and haven't been able to keep a single fish so far this year on the open water catching in instances over 50 a day. Often many fish into the low 70's very few get over 75 these days. Although I'm not out there as often as the locals, my own observations are the same.

I'll agree there may be slightly less boats on the water but I'll argue all day long that ice fishing pressure has certainly increased in recent years. A little easier for those without the fancy toys to get out on the ice and ice fish than it is to get out on the water with a boat.

If you are catching a keeper every ten fish I'll respectfully suggest that your likely just "eye balling" it.

She's been thinned out. I'm a C&R guy nevertheless when it comes to Lakers but it would be nice to catch the odd 20lber - 30lber like we were ~10 years ago.

Brock1
08-14-2018, 02:54 PM
There is no question the % of keepers being caught today is at a fraction as compare to when the size limit first increased a handful of years back. I know several local residents whom have fished all year and haven't been able to keep a single fish so far this year on the open water catching in instances over 50 a day. Often many fish into the low 70's very few get over 75 these days. Although I'm not out there as often as the locals, my own observations are the same.

I'll agree there may be slightly less boats on the water but I'll argue all day long that ice fishing pressure has certainly increased in recent years. A little easier for those without the fancy toys to get out on the ice and ice fish than it is to get out on the water with a boat.

If you are catching a keeper every ten fish I'll respectfully suggest that your likely just "eye balling" it.

She's been thinned out. I'm a C&R guy nevertheless when it comes to Lakers but it would be nice to catch the odd 20lber - 30lber like we were ~10 years ago.

this is 110% accurate. there is no way anyone is catching a fish over 75 out of every 10 when almost everyone else who actually knows what they are doing are catching 50-100 fish between keepers
B

RavYak
08-14-2018, 07:05 PM
I've caught 2 keepers in 2 trips this year. Only around 15 lakers total as I spent most of those trips targeting pike and walleye. That is by far my best year for catching keeper size lakers but I would say a significant part of that is luck.

My average is probably closer to 30 or so fish per keeper the last few years. It seems I usually get one at every trip or two.

If you are catching 50-100 fish a day and never any keepers then you need to stop targeting the herds of smaller fish and try some different spots. If you are catching a keeper every 10 fish then you are either lucky or know how to target the bigger lakers/avoid the smaller ones.

Fishing hasn't changed much for me the last few years. Lots of smaller fish 20-26 inches, a decent amount up to 29 in and the odd keeper size up to around 32.5 in. I am yet to catch anything bigger then that out of Cold although I do know the odd one still gets caught. I haven't played around too much trying to target bigger fish since I am usually in my kayak and target numbers of fish instead.

58thecat
08-15-2018, 06:07 AM

I get out and target the small bait balls with larger marks around it, get down to that depth and it increases the chance of larger fish.
If I want fun as in non stop action I find a large bait ball with many marks around it and bam double headers etc.

Patch has dried up and there is less pressure both summer and winter. Seen this first hand as I am from door to lake fishing under 20 minutes, always lurking around this lake....September will be better as all are working, kids in school etc.

If you want to start hitting bigger fish more often try my technique, small isolated bait balls with few larger marks....just a suggestion.

Good luck.

58thecat
08-15-2018, 06:10 AM
this is 110% accurate. there is no way anyone is catching a fish over 75 out of every 10 when almost everyone else who actually knows what they are doing are catching 50-100 fish between keepers
B

Your right maybe 15 ish but who is counting eh!

With all these under size ones kicking around and the amount of feed there is going to be some real beauties within a few years being landed....

Penner
08-15-2018, 08:33 PM
I get out and target the small bait balls with larger marks around it, get down to that depth and it increases the chance of larger fish.
If I want fun as in non stop action I find a large bait ball with many marks around it and bam double headers etc.

Patch has dried up and there is less pressure both summer and winter. Seen this first hand as I am from door to lake fishing under 20 minutes, always lurking around this lake....September will be better as all are working, kids in school etc.

If you want to start hitting bigger fish more often try my technique, small isolated bait balls with few larger marks....just a suggestion.

Good luck.

I've been in the area for +40 years and know Cold Lake as good as most but I do appreciate the suggestions. We will revisit our opinions in a few years and see what happens.

-JR-
08-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Good luck.

So when you drive on top of these bait ball. do you stop using your down riggers and switch to jigging ?

58thecat
08-16-2018, 06:19 AM
So when you drive on top of these bait ball. do you stop using your down riggers and switch to jigging ?

No I actually do a figure 8 pattern crossing through it a few times, many times I get my bigger fish 30 or so yards off the bait balls.

I should stop and jig and enjoy a sandwich but every time I start eating I end up putting it down to bring a fish in, sandwhich either ends up tasting like a lake trout or dries up and I get a sun naked piece of toast:sHa_sarcasticlol:

thorne
08-16-2018, 02:03 PM
No I actually do a figure 8 pattern crossing through it a few times, many times I get my bigger fish 30 or so yards off the bait balls.

I should stop and jig and enjoy a sandwich but every time I start eating I end up putting it down to bring a fish in, sandwhich either ends up tasting like a lake trout or dries up and I get a sun naked piece of toast:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Humm....seems like we both use a very similar tactic...I preform a very similar troll pattern and get the majority of the keepers just as we clear the bait ball about 20- 40 yards past and start the turn to go back through perpendicular to my last pass. I set my triggers about the top 10% of the bait ball for depth...we run a herring rig on one line and a 10" white storm kicking minnow on the other. I thread a length of momo through the body of the kicking minnow and out the tail to attach a stinger....seems to work very well. I totally embrace the "Bigger bait for bigger fish" theory. Been meaning to throw a full size mackeral on there sometime...just havent gotten around to it yet..

58thecat
08-17-2018, 05:55 AM
http://www.hotspotlures.com/products_apex_troll.php

Larger size, single hooks, no stinger.

I troll them behind a willow leaf for attractant attached to a pink lady, if required I add a weight to get down to them....they out fish all my other lake trout tactics.

4 to 5 1/2"

Shhhhh don't tell anyone:sEm_oops2:

thorne
08-17-2018, 08:41 AM
I remove all the trebels that come on the kicking minnows and just have the 1 barbless gamagatsu stinger at the back and it works great. I also use fishy shaped 10lb weights on my downriggers which I paint glossy white with some silver speckles brushed on in spots for fun. This was my first trip to Cold Lake this year. Gonna be up there last week in August for the week as well. Guess I'll see if last trip was a one off, or if the pattern holds!

Coiloil37
08-29-2018, 12:54 PM
The fishing was much better then the weather the past four days. We had a few slower evenings but most of the time wouldn’t have to troll more then 3-5 minutes before hooking one or two fish. Plenty of double headers which are lots of fun with a 3 and 5 year old, a dog and controlling the boat. The boys cranked in all the fish, I don’t think I got to catch any when they came out but that’s what keeps them interested.
I feel the fishing was much better now then when we fished it in May.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/3e291364301af51e49328c214c60b6ee.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/9e6b7e8d34fa7647222bb32de1407b8e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/72546185e7f52d55062987769f3544fe.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/2cea66c3daf0c88252be64e0295cce20.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/92dc781573b4d2d639286b4ec6de379b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/67160f0e39b07682104cecf8537e4586.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/ece6b5d3564ab54db939f3e5622e7afe.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/f6c3afec5f748a7f12c4eedbecba4053.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/d6b9eca473a9dc880f3042698e4c6021.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/77220078d6bea875c5d1a1d47acaa881.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/64436c902a2e5c0e4bd3905411a776e9.jpg

Brock1
08-29-2018, 01:44 PM
any keepers? if so how many did you release compared to keepers.
I am at 60 to 0
lol

Coiloil37
08-29-2018, 02:40 PM
any keepers? if so how many did you release compared to keepers.
I am at 60 to 0
lol

Yes we got some keepers. I found a lure the larger fish liked the last day and caught nothing but 75+ cm fish on it. Until I started using those lures we went probably 200+/0 for keepers. That style of plug picked up six over 75 in the last two hours of the trip. It wasn’t catching as many fish per hour so I ran a spoon on the other side of the boat to keep the boys busy reeling in fish.

That said we killed on male. Those are without a doubt the second best fish I’ve ever eaten. I ate one in May and thought it was exceptional, we ate another this week and they are better then fresh salmon or an 8lb halibut. Cover them in BBQ sauce, seal them in aluminum foil and throw them on the BBQ. DON’T over cook it.
I say second best because the right tuna is still better.

58thecat
08-30-2018, 06:06 AM
Looks like a great time, keep them on the fishing gig and you will never be without a fishing partner!:sHa_shakeshout:

Brock1
08-30-2018, 07:55 AM
Yes we got some keepers. I found a lure the larger fish liked the last day and caught nothing but 75+ cm fish on it. Until I started using those lures we went probably 200+/0 for keepers. That style of plug picked up six over 75 in the last two hours of the trip. It wasn’t catching as many fish per hour so I ran a spoon on the other side of the boat to keep the boys busy reeling in fish.

That said we killed on male. Those are without a doubt the second best fish I’ve ever eaten. I ate one in May and thought it was exceptional, we ate another this week and they are better then fresh salmon or an 8lb halibut. Cover them in BBQ sauce, seal them in aluminum foil and throw them on the BBQ. DON’T over cook it.
I say second best because the right tuna is still better.

awesome good for you!

thorne
08-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Just finished up a week at Cold...did the same thing in the same spots, and caught waaayyy more fish then I care to count. However, this time only a few keepers...by a few I mean 2 all week. So maybe my last go was a one off. On a happy note though, my girlfriend caught her first Lake trout last Saturday after having her line in the water for 5 minutes....lol...33" 16 lbs. Not a bad first fish. To bad we never seen a few more of those. Regardless lots of fun bringing all those under the limit as well!

-JR-
08-31-2018, 06:11 AM
Its so much fun watching your kids reel in a laker .
They will remember those days for years.

mikebossy
09-08-2018, 08:25 AM
great pics of happy kids Coiloil, well done!