PDA

View Full Version : Salmon plans 2018

Jamie
06-13-2018, 04:03 PM
So, what is every one doing this year?
Looks like Serengeti is off to a good start.
I hear Rupert is slow
I am being told first hand that Hadia Gwaii is starting to kick into gear.

I get the pleasure of a short trip to Sandpit Adventures in 2 weeks. Looks like 2 days on the water and one day doing a Eco tour. My daughter is working there
Followed by a 5 day self guided trip to Shearwater in Mid August.

As well, something that came up last night is a true dream trip for me. Fishing the Tyee Pool at Campbell river. I have always wanted to do that. Just being rowed around looking for a 30#er. Not sure if I can pull it off but I will for 100% sure be in Victoria on Sept 2 dropping my daughter off at school. Seems prime time for the pool. Anyone have any direct knowledge?
I would love to fish that pool with a Petz wooden Reel.

Positrac
06-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Sounds like things are setting up for a terrific summer Jamie. Good luck.

I’ve rowed 5 registered Tyee out of the pool and caught dozens more that missed the 30 pound mark. It’s a good time for sure and can be quite addicting.

It was probably the single best thing about living in Campbell River....and there were lots of good things about living there.

Ken07AOVette
06-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Back to Rupert in July, maybe again in August.

fishpro
06-13-2018, 08:26 PM
My focus this year will be on mountain lakes and streams, gonna return to a few favourites in Banff, explore one or two that have me interested, and hopefully hit the Ram River as well. Then in September I'm going up to Lake Athabasca to fly fish for spawning lakers in the shallows, can't wait!

RockyMountainMusic
06-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Sounds like a great summer, I will be back on the island for my annual trip and always have a great time out fishing. I decided to try the tyee pool year before last and I loved it and now addicted lol, will be spending a few days in the pool this year as its now my bucket list item to get done and register one. Early sept is a great time to be in the pool so if you have the chance I would go.

Jamie
06-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Flights are all booked now.. Airmails does save you a ton of Cash but what a pain in the arse.
Catch this flight path

Red Deer-Calgary-VAncouver-Sandspit

No flights out of Calgary, but I can drive to Red Deer so I can fly back to Calgary...
SHESHHHH

Its ok.. Saved us about $1,500. So worth the effort.

A 36 pounder was caught yesterday at the lodge. Size is jumping and so is the amount. Not bad at a all for the start of the season.

Jamie
06-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Sounds like things are setting up for a terrific summer Jamie. Good luck.

I’ve rowed 5 registered Tyee out of the pool and caught dozens more that missed the 30 pound mark. It’s a good time for sure and can be quite addicting.

It was probably the single best thing about living in Campbell River....and there were lots of good things about living there.

I have always wanted to do this.. Especially using old style gear. I am hopeful that Dwayne from Painters will be guiding me. He is a old gear nut.

Scott h
06-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Flights are all booked now.. Airmails does save you a ton of Cash but what a pain in the arse.
Catch this flight path

Red Deer-Calgary-VAncouver-Sandspit

No flights out of Calgary, but I can drive to Red Deer so I can fly back to Calgary...
SHESHHHH

Its ok.. Saved us about $1,500. So worth the effort.

A 36 pounder was caught yesterday at the lodge. Size is jumping and so is the amount. Not bad at a all for the start of the season.

You're right. QCI is a hard place to get to.....
We have been mainly flyiing into Masset for the last few years but I think we'll change over to driving to Rupert (15 hours) and then taking the ferry over (6-8 hours). We're booked to cross over June 30th.
Just talked to a friend up there and they are indeed picking up chinook and halibut are doing fine. A few coho have been caught but they're as small as you would expect for this time of year. It's amazing how quick they put on weight however...during the summer it seems like it's a pound a week. We've picked up a couple new hand nets and I'm towing a new little Yamaha up, so we're ready to go play on the beach and fill up on crabs and razor clams.

Jamie
06-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Willy and I are in Red Deer now..
The adventure has started.
Fish reports are looking good with a average of 30 fish to the boat over the last bit.
Some size around and seems to be getting bigger. A few cohos that might fill out some tags.

SO excited to be going with my kids again.

Jamie
06-25-2018, 04:58 AM
And we are OFF!!!!
Sitting here at the Big Red Deer Airport.
Who knew they even had one????

Jamie
06-25-2018, 07:43 AM
I packed our own Islander reels and my Wooden Petz. I really want a big one with that ancient wooden reel.

Caught a earlier flight to Vancouver. Just waiting for take off.
Better waiting in Van than in Calgary

Positrac
06-25-2018, 07:57 AM
:wave: Tight lines and good luck!

Big Bull
06-25-2018, 09:57 AM
We are headed back to Quatsino Lodge for July 20-23. This will be our 4th trip there, and it looks like the fishing has been really good there so far this season!
Getting excited now! Headed to Maligne Lake tomorrow morning for a few days of salmonoid action.

Jamie
06-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Lots of fish today. Average was around 20 pounds. We had a total of 25 to the boat. Only one Coho though.
4 double headers
My Peetz was boring away and the kids had so much fun with it.
Largest was 25.
Weather was good, no waves to speak of.

2 Tollers
06-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Lots of fish today. Average was around 20 pounds. We had a total of 25 to the boat. Only one Coho though.
4 double headers
My Peetz was boring away and the kids had so much fun with it.
Largest was 25.
Weather was good, no waves to speak of.

Excellent --- great news for you and the family. Has to be big smiles all the way around. Sounds like we were a little early.

Jamie
06-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Another 18 to the boat today.
Largest was about 20. What I noticed was that the amount of fight in these ones today was legendary.. Jesus.. Amazing stuff.

One more day Sighhhhhhhhhhh

This is such a cool place..

Jamie
06-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Yet another stellar day on the water with the kids.
21 Chinook to the boat. Unfortunately, Walter seems to have escaped us as the largest today was twin 20's caught by my favourite Daughter.

I spent the week at Sandpit adventures up here. It really is a comfortable place. Rooms are very clean, staff is all friendly and the food was incredible.

They fish no more than 3 to a boat and the processing is included in the packages. Boats are basic, but very comfortable and the equipment is all top notch. I brought my Islander and saw no reason to use it as the reels they had were just great. The Amudsons Mooching reels were just fantastic.

Excellent lodge I must say.

Positrac
06-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a great trip to the Charlottes Jamie!

I was born in Queen Charlotte City and spent the first bit of my life in Sandspit before my parents moved down to Vancouver Island. Less people there now than there was in the early 70’s. I’d like to get back up that way again some day...

Now, where’s all the pics...?

Gboe8
06-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Glad to hear! Heading up to Haida Gwaii on July 27 with my buddy and his boat for 15 days can’t wait. Was amazing last year!!

Jamie
06-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a great trip to the Charlottes Jamie!

I was born in Queen Charlotte City and spent the first bit of my life in Sandspit before my parents moved down to Vancouver Island. Less people there now than there was in the early 70’s. I’d like to get back up that way again some day...

Now, where’s all the pics...?

I have no idea how to post pics now.....

But if someone wants to help, I can email them when I get home.
trying to grab a earlier flight.

Positrac
06-29-2018, 04:13 AM
You can send the pics to me Jamie and I’ll post them up. PM sent.

RavYak
06-29-2018, 07:18 AM
I have no idea how to post pics now.....

But if someone wants to help, I can email them when I get home.
trying to grab a earlier flight.

Use tinypic to host photo then post forum link here. Same idea as what photobucket used to do.

Jamie
06-29-2018, 09:19 AM
You guys rock...
I will do this when I get home.

The pig out we had last night was legendary.
The whole dinner was like a actual Crab Boil.

Crab, Prawns, Sausage, Potatoes

Starter was Salmon dip

Salad was Ceasar. BUT, it had flash fried capers. I have never had them before. I had no idea they could be so good. Crunchy and salty...
Amazing stuff here guys. You have to come.

Marty S
07-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Wow Jamie, that's lots of fish, good to hear there's some fish up north. Kinda been wondering with all the bad news from Rupert with regards to the Skeena.

I needed a thread like this... come on the fishing forum, looking for a salmon thread and there it is!

I take it you're allowed a full limit on the Charlottes? They'll always be the QCI to me!

We are going to Winter Harbour this year, guys waffled too long and seemed like the good dates were gone elsewhere with the most excellent charter last year, that'd be Davey Boy's Magical Fishing Adventures out of Port Hardy!

Then am planning a late late late trip for coho. Last week of September, will we catch anything then Jamie? Only time other buddy can go.

Jamie
07-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Marty limits in the QCI was 1/2. I understand that July 10 they go back to 2/4.

Where are you going in the last week of September?

Jamie

Jamie
07-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Crab Boil

Jamie
07-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Some of the pics.

sns2
07-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the write up, Jamie. Very enoyable. Love the pics of your happy kids!

2 Tollers
07-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Nice 👍 on the pictures and write up. Some nice fish and great smiles Good memories

Gboe8
07-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Marty limits in the QCI was 1/2. I understand that July 10 they go back to 2/4.

Where are you going in the last week of September?

Jamie

Hey Jamie. Where did you find the info on the limits going back up on July 10. I know the current limits were till the 9th but never seen where the change was.

Jamie
07-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Hey Jamie. Where did you find the info on the limits going back up on July 10. I know the current limits were till the 9th but never seen where the change was.

Gboe8. I am double checking that right now. Perhaps I heard wrong? I just looked at DFO and you seem to be right.

Positrac
07-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a fantastic time. Congrats.

I fly to the Island tomorrow for a week and hope to get out for a fish myself.

Ken07AOVette
07-04-2018, 08:11 PM
We are heading back to PR Sunday for 10 days fishing, then back Aug 12th for a week.

First time I have done a 3rd trip, and first time fishing August as well. :)

Gboe8
07-04-2018, 08:35 PM
Gboe8. I am double checking that right now. Perhaps I heard wrong? I just looked at DFO and you seem to be right.

I am hoping your right. But will have a good trip either way!

Jamie
07-04-2018, 10:36 PM
I am hoping your right. But will have a good trip either way!

I just spoke with the lodge owner.. He says July 9th they go back to normal. 2/4

Jamie
07-04-2018, 10:38 PM
We are heading back to PR Sunday for 10 days fishing, then back Aug 12th for a week.

First time I have done a 3rd trip, and first time fishing August as well. :)

HEAD WEST!!!!

The last report out of Rupert was from a guide and he had one small spring in 3 days. (That was last night)
We hit 60 in 3 days.
Easy peasy.. I can get accommodation and morage and food for you guys. You can follow the guides out in the am I am sure.

Salavee
07-04-2018, 10:44 PM
How is this for a senseless agenda. This is a large area that will affect a lot of businesses from Tofino to Sooke. .. and for no real reason.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/action-required-potential-fin-fish-closure-from-long-beach-to-swiftsure-for-srkw.71036/

Ken07AOVette
07-04-2018, 10:48 PM
HEAD WEST!!!!

The last report out of Rupert was from a guide and he had one small spring in 3 days. (That was last night)
We hit 60 in 3 days.
Easy peasy.. I can get accommodation and morage and food for you guys. You can follow the guides out in the am I am sure.

We had 400 in 5 days last year, mixed coho, spring, pinks. I am sure we will do fine.

We have our go-to spots plus the help from the guides is always welcome for sure.

Jamie
07-05-2018, 12:17 AM
We had 400 in 5 days last year, mixed coho, spring, pinks. I am sure we will do fine.

We have our go-to spots plus the help from the guides is always welcome for sure.

Pinks don't count!!!
You know that!!

LOLOL
Good luck Ken.. I am sure you guys will have fun.

Jamie
08-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Up in Shearwater right now with dad.
Plane was delayed yesterday so we only got out on the water for 2 hours. This Am saw us wicked rightvin a trying to follow guide boats (we are unguided) with some difficulty. Love the Lodge, hate the self guided boats the give you. The people here in the actual Lodge have all been so fantastic.
Decided to call it a morning after a few issues and come back to reset and buy some proper gear.

Just like any bother Hunting trip. Some days you should have stayed in bed!!
What a cool location though.

Jamie

Jamie
08-15-2018, 08:10 PM
2nd full day in the water..
So much crap in the water and a NW wind kept us out of the place we wanted to go.
Still managed a 24 pound chinook and a 17.5 Coho. Dad is now at “Pro” level for clearing lines of all the crap.

Lots of laughs with Dad and very grateful to see new friends make it back safe after a unfortunate sinking of a boat. Very humbling to hear the story and yet get to share drinks on the deck with these people. No quit in them though.
That’s was always my biggest fear when I was in the business. I could take the criticism, any complaints but I never could have ever delt with the loss of a life under my watch. So very fortunate that we never had to deal with it.
Trust your chosen guide to bring you back safe. Don’t worry about sandwiches, worry about getting home ok.

GMX
08-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Wow scary stuff glad to hear they made it back safe. I had drinks with a guide o e night out on a floating lodge in Rupert. He decided to make a late night run back to town run into a pile of rocks and wasn’t as fortunate. Stay safe and enjoy what you have:happy0180: and send us pictures

RavYak
08-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Didn't think I was going to be able to get out for salmon this year but ends up I will be heading out for a week at the end of the month.

Hoping for good weather and that I can find some salmon, halibut and ling cod with my kayak!

Jamie
08-15-2018, 10:33 PM
Wow scary stuff glad to hear they made it back safe. I had drinks with a guide o e night out on a floating lodge in Rupert. He decided to make a late night run back to town run into a pile of rocks and wasn’t as fortunate. Stay safe and enjoy what you have:happy0180: and send us pictures

Didn’t happen to have anything to do with guys who own “Earls Restuarant”
If so, I fished out of that boat..

GMX
08-15-2018, 10:48 PM
I believe your correct it was a 26 or 28’ kingfisher you probably know the boats name and story behind it.

Jamie
08-15-2018, 10:51 PM
So sorry for the loss of your friend...
That was a nasty accident by all accounts..

Sometimes what we all do sucks for the outcome...

GMX
08-15-2018, 11:35 PM
Not a friend just met the guy one night we tied to there lodge and proceed to have lots of beers together. It was two nights later when the accident happened.

The ocean is such beautiful and an amazing place but she plays for keeps if your ready or not.

Sundancefisher
08-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Some of the pics.

Nice. I will be heading up shortly for our annual group trip. I just got in from crabbing and made a hero frisbee catch and through then hit an uneven part and sprained my ankle real bad.

Icing and resting cause those Chinook fights are legendary and I don't want to miss even one.

Fingers crossed. Seems like salmon are finally moving into shore in numbers.

Jamie
08-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Another epic days for numbers.
We were limited out by 11. A double headed of 20 pound Chinooks finished us off.
Rough outside waters kept us off the Hali.

One more day looking for a TYee and headed home.

Jamie
08-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Another bucket list place off the board!

I have to say, I thought the Bella Bella area was the most beautiful place I have been to on the coast. So many islands and channels. Wow.. Just WOW.

Fishing was really good I suppose but thats not 100% why I went. I was fortunate to enjoy yet another trip with my Dad. Time is passing for all of us and who really knows how many of these adventures we will have together.
I find with his getting older I have just that much more to bug him about. Lots of laughs and smiles. I do wish we took more pictures on these trips. It's just never been a priority for us.

Now where to go? Perhaps we need to go try out Port Hardy and David. Lets see if he can laugh as hard as Dad and I can. I have not fished Hardy or Campbell river yet.

Another trip to Hadia Gwaii is being planned for June/July 2019 as well. Was thinking of making this a bigger one. Maybe as many as 20 guys. Get together some long lost friends and hopefully make some new ones.

surhuntsalot
08-20-2018, 11:07 PM
HEAD WEST!!!!

The last report out of Rupert was from a guide and he had one small spring in 3 days. (That was last night).
Sounds like you need to get to know some better guides...

Jamie
08-21-2018, 01:03 AM
Sounds like you need to get to know some better guides...

I know plenty of good guides in Rupert. Please say hello to Kevin for me.
And Rupert was brutal this year on Chinook from all accounts.

How is the Coho?

Perhaps next year will be better on the Chinooks.