PDA

View Full Version : Broke a rod tonight...

Redneck 7
06-23-2018, 08:44 PM
Went out tonight for an hour and caught a couple pike, one was a fatty for being 25” long. But when I was packing my rod away for the boat ride to the pier, I broke 12” off the rod. It’s a Rapala Magnum River rod series, 7’ long medium heavy action. It’s served me well fishing the North Sask and Athabasca rivers, and lake Lac Ste Anne, but I never thought it would have snapped. Considering I have two ugly sticks, one for my kayak and one for bait casting, also two ugly sticks for the girlfriend and I ice fishing. Never had one of those break, and my 6’ rod for kayak fishing is a light rod.

Have any one of your guys had a Rapala rod break like that? I know it was 80% user error but I do that with all my rods to an extent I think. What 7’ rod you your recommend for a new rod for my Quantum reel to sit in? Been fishing my whole life just never did spend too dollars buying rods and reels so I don’t know what an expensive rod would be.

huntsfurfish
06-23-2018, 09:40 PM
Put a new tip on the rod. Might fish as a heavy rod now. But you can see if you still like it. Maybe 5 to 10 dollar repair.

Rods break. If it doesnt break the first day or so, almost always operator error.:) All it takes is a little nick to weaken the rod enough to break.

Redneck 7
06-24-2018, 12:14 AM
Mhmm. Didn’t think you could repair the rods. Plus being fibreglass hard to say how far down the fractures could have gone. I’ll look into, thanks.

TROLLER
06-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Stikfix in Calgary can repair it no problem

dustinjoels
06-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Quality rods break when you treat them like you would an ugly stik.