PDA

View Full Version : Nanaimo Fishing

chucklesthe3rd
06-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Does anyone have any experience with fishing in Nanaimo? I'm heading over in August and I'm looking to catch some rockfish. any info would help but things like spots, lures/bait would be much appreciated. Chuck

lastlatvian
06-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Does anyone have any experience with fishing in Nanaimo? I'm heading over in August and I'm looking to catch some rockfish. any info would help but things like spots, lures/bait would be much appreciated. Chuck

I took my inflatable 2 person sea hawk two about 2 clicks from the beach past the kelp beds and caught about 3-4 in 1 hour of fishing during slack tide. Just be careful because those buggers are pointy. I was fishing for salmon and caught them all on buzz bombs.

Okotok
06-25-2018, 06:19 PM
I've never targeted rockfish and have always caught them on a herring plug while mooching and fishing for salmon. I always keep a few as they make the best fish and chips!

OpenSights
06-26-2018, 07:08 AM
I grew up on Gabriola Island.

Fishing isn't the same as it used to be for rockfish. I grew up fishing rock cod and lings. My parents still live on the island.

Careful off Nanaimo there are lots of closed area's for rockfish.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/areas-secteurs/17-eng.html