PDA

View Full Version : Fishing McGreggor from shore…?

Duramaximos
06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi folks. New member here. Really like the forum so far and I can’t believe I haven’t stumbled onto it sooner!

I’m contemplating a family excursion to McGreggor this weekend. It won’t be my first time there, but it will be my first time fishing from shore. I’ve boated and ice fished there a couple times in the past with some success, but I’m no expert!

Can anyone suggest a decent location and strategy for perch, white fish, or pike from shore? It would be nice if the spot is reasonably accessible by foot so my young boys can handle the walk, and have some shore fun when we end up at our destination. We’re planning on packing a picnic lunch so 1 km or less from the truck would be nice too.

Although we’re leaving the boat home for this trip, I might bring a pair of chest waders if you think it might be worth while.

Thanks!

wmw9
06-03-2009, 03:59 PM
When we were out there last summer a few people from our group had good luck fishing off the rocks where they dam the lake up...it's right when you drive in to the left. They caught all pike, however they managed to catch just as many fish as we did on the boat.

Frans
06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I was just out there yesterday, and fly fished just along the edge of the rec site, without success I must add. Lots of wind, hard to get any length of cast going. Lots of olks were fishing just off the rocks as mentioned. Not much room there for the backcast if you are flyfishing.

Frans

slickinfinite
06-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I was there last weekend and using len thompson spoons we all caught fish all were pike but some nice size ones and they were agressively hitting out lures. The rock dam is the best place to land the pike as well from what we experienced and between 5 of us we landed 11 pike in the short time we fished.

4D7
06-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Was there yesterday around 7 till sunset. We had non stop action till we had to go. Bite everytime we dropped it in. i caught all walleyes and my girlfriend caught walleyes and pike. Lots of white fish jumping. We fished at the north side where rocks were.