PDA

View Full Version : Motor Resrictions?

Agb Crash
06-03-2009, 05:44 PM
So here is my question.
I have a boat with both an electric trolling motor and a gas motor.
Can I fish in electric motor only lakes if I do not use my gas motor?
Do i just have to leave the leg all the way up?
Just never start ther gas motor?
I am not looking to polute or ski or anything just fish in some of the smaller lakes or lakes in the national parks. (maligne).

The rules I have read seem a bit vague......

Mudslide
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Great question!
I would love to know myself.
(not in the Biblical sense of course) :innocent:

Triple Threat
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
From what I understand you can not have a gas motor on your boat at all, in case you motor leaks some oil and gas into the water body.

seahawkfisher
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
where did you hear that? i have the same question and all i have ever heard is "i heard this" "supposedly it's this". One of us lazy SOB's (me included) has gotta actually make the call one of these days and find out what the actual laws states and then with a quick post here, we'd all know the truth. any takers???
cheers

Joe Fehr
06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
There is nothing saying you can not have a gas motor on your boat on a lake with restriction to electric motors. Nothing to do with pollution, more to do with the depth of the lake and the damages caused by high speed props, wakes etc to habitat and the affect on other users of the lake. That being said I wouldn't have the key in the ignition if the F&W came to the boat or the motor trimmed down in the water.

Removing a large outboard motor is a chore and can get costly if not done properly and safely.

Little Red Man
06-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Don't know about "general" Alberta lakes, but I called the Warden's office in Jasper to see if I could take my boat, with a Gas Motor, but not use it, just my electric (on Maligne) and was told "No Way"..cannot have a boat on the lake with a Gas motor, even if you are not using it.

Having said that, I have seen several folks fishing with electric motors on gas motor boats on Pierre Greys Lakes. However, I have never seen any CO's around to say one way or the other...(sorry, guess this post does not help answer your question!!)....