PDA

View Full Version : Algae Reports?

Pikebreath
06-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Everybody always seem to want fishing reports from all the different lakes, so let's do something a bit different.

With all the unseasonably warm temps so far this June, I suspect we may see a lot of more algae blooms developing earlier than normal. So,,,,Why not start a thread giving reports on algae conditions?

I'll start,,,

On the weekend, Moose Lake was blooming,,, shoreline areas were getting pretty thick depending on the wind direction. Other areas mid lake were not too bad yet.

dryflyguy
06-28-2018, 10:12 AM
Vincent Lake and Lake Isle have been issued blue-green warnings

dryflyguy
07-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Add the following:
Stoney Lake
Alix Lake
Murray Lake Res.
Moose Lake (Bonnyville)
Wapasu Lake
Lac La Nonne

Link (https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/news/bga.aspx)

MooseRiverTrapper
07-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Lac La Biche

anorthernhunter
07-26-2018, 02:18 PM
How is Wabamun?

dryflyguy
07-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Was nice and clear on the SW side as of July 14th, haven't been back since

zouzou123
07-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Was on wabamun 2 days ago.. nice and clear

Kurt505
07-26-2018, 10:16 PM
I was told Calling is pea soup, not long before the blue shows up.

-JR-
07-27-2018, 06:04 AM
Was at pigeon two weeks ago and its starting to get green but seen nothing floating yet.

SNAPFisher
07-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Was at pigeon two weeks ago and its starting to get green but seen nothing floating yet.

Yep, same just from past Wednesday, still fine. It might have been warm in June but the overnight temps have been largely single digit for the past two weeks. No real hot spells since then. Should be a fine year.

pikeman06
07-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Just finished a session on buffalo and it's good. At least the north and east shores anyways.

dryflyguy
07-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Peanut and Cross Lakes added for BGA advisories

CptnBlues63
07-27-2018, 01:46 PM
I was told Calling is pea soup, not long before the blue shows up.

I was there Wednesday evening and they have the blue/green warning sign up and the green slick was starting to build up around the boat launch. Won't be long and it'll be thick and stinky just like last year.

Ronji
07-27-2018, 02:17 PM
Add the following:
Stoney Lake
Alix Lake
Murray Lake Res.
Moose Lake (Bonnyville)
Wapasu Lake
Lac La Nonne

Link (https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/news/bga.aspx)
I was at Lac La Nonne last weekend. I never saw blue/green, water was clear where we were fishing.

dryflyguy
07-27-2018, 03:34 PM
I was at Lac La Nonne last weekend. I never saw blue/green, water was clear where we were fishing.

Hmm, well AHS only issued the advisory yesterday, so things may have changed I guess

German
07-27-2018, 06:48 PM
I was there Wednesday evening and they have the blue/green warning sign up and the green slick was starting to build up around the boat launch. Won't be long and it'll be thick and stinky just like last year.

There are starting to be lots of neon blue gobs of algae showing up. Rock Island is also turning pretty green.

JimmerAB
07-27-2018, 10:57 PM
I fished Pigeon yesterday and today. Today actually circled the entire lake on a "cottage tour". I was surprised how much thicker the algae was today compared to yesterday. I didn't see any sign of BGA yet, but I'm confident it will soon be here as well. On a positive note, the algae hasn't affected the fishing at all!

Jim

barbless
07-28-2018, 09:57 AM
CVR some green floating around not too thick and not over the entire lake. Will be there on Monday and see if it gets worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capper
07-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Here is calling at the northwest corner. Most of the lake is okay but he n.w is thick.

capper
07-28-2018, 10:11 AM
And the blue green is here In the n.w corner too (calling lake)

Drewski Canuck
07-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Algae in front of the townsit at Calling but the fishing is very good for no wind and 30 Celsius.

-JR-
07-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Wabamun Getting Green July 28 !

Hartly
07-30-2018, 07:15 AM
Pigeon is getting thick in places. Fishing On the 29th was slow. While cruising around to cool off , we noticed a few dead whites floating around.

Bob t
07-30-2018, 08:06 AM
Vincent Lake and Lake Isle have been issued blue-green warnings

Was at Vincent this last weekend. Tried fishing off the boat dock but only lasted 1/2 hour. 😡

TROLLER
07-30-2018, 08:58 AM
Starting at Pine Coulee and the water seems to be getting lower. No chance of a boat dock this yr.

dryflyguy
07-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Wabamun Getting Green July 28 !

Yeah, starting to look like pea soup, surface temp yesterday was 78F near Fallis

catnthehat
07-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Baptiste has algae as well
Cat

dryflyguy
07-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Starting to pile up, link (https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/news/bga.aspx)

chedder
07-30-2018, 06:09 PM
Starting at Pine Coulee and the water seems to be getting lower. No chance of a boat dock this yr.Off topic but pine coulee has to be the worst managed reservoir around. Between the walleye waste of time and the terrible water levels, it is super frustrating.

kevinhits
07-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Starting at Pine Coulee and the water seems to be getting lower. No chance of a boat dock this yr.

x2...Took my Son out and spent the night and did some shore fishing....No one was catching anything...Driving home and going over the bridge, noticed an algae bloom on the NW side of the bridge....

tallieho
07-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Blood Indian ???

CBintheNorth
08-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Was out at Lac St. Anne today. West side of Westcove was surprisingly clear. Went to the east side and it was thick as pea soup. South side of the island straight north of the launch had the blue-green clumps starting. Biggest were thumb size. Didn't see it anywhere else on that side. Didn't travel to the big side.
Fishing was VERY slow. Wasn't even marking fish in my usual spots.

kevinhits
08-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Twin Valley has it as well.

omega50
08-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Was at Clear 2 weeks ago-Day of the big hail. Creepy green and totally deserted. One unit in entire campground. Couple of dead pike submerged in the green carpet

JimmerAB
08-23-2018, 08:31 PM
I have fished Pigeon twice in the last four days. I have an RV lot at the lake, and have fished it regularly for the last nineteen years. It's been many years since I've seen the lake this clear this late into August. There is algae, but not very thick. And I haven't seen any floating algae mats, or any evidence of blue green anywhere I've travelled. And not one floating whitefish either. Not too many years ago I had witnessed hundreds of them by this time. We have a private launch, and I've noticed the water level receding every time I launch. The hot dry summer is taking its' toll.
The other good news is that the walleye fishing is as hot now as any other time I've been out this year!

Jim

curtis_rak
08-24-2018, 02:23 PM
Ste Anne, big side (whole eastern half) was loaded with algae this past Monday night. What a **** off... even the launch at Val Quentin was disgusting. In hindsight I should have just turned around and went home.

The fish were still biting, but a couple hours of fishing cost me a bunch of loonies at the car wash right after I pulled the boat out to get that gunk off the trailer and hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TROLLER
08-24-2018, 02:59 PM
Pine Coulee just put under the Algae watch. News on CTV Calgary says do not swim , wash hands or eat any fish. Guess the whole lake is now pretty bad

omega50
08-26-2018, 09:23 AM
Pine Coulee just put under the Algae watch. News on CTV Calgary says do not swim , wash hands or eat any fish. Guess the whole lake is now pretty bad

Fished it yesterday North East of the bridge. Some very minor accumulation along the shore in a few spots.

Looked pretty clean compared to Clear which you could almost walk on.:sHa_shakeshout:

Water Level in PCR was alarmingly low

barbless
08-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Just got back yesterday. Crawling Valley still has small amounts of green floaties and can still at least see the bottom in 6 ft. of water. So guess it's good. Fishing was awesome, tubin' was a blast

SNAPFisher
08-28-2018, 09:43 AM
I have fished Pigeon twice in the last four days. I have an RV lot at the lake, and have fished it regularly for the last nineteen years. It's been many years since I've seen the lake this clear this late into August. There is algae, but not very thick. And I haven't seen any floating algae mats, or any evidence of blue green anywhere I've travelled. And not one floating whitefish either. Not too many years ago I had witnessed hundreds of them by this time. We have a private launch, and I've noticed the water level receding every time I launch. The hot dry summer is taking its' toll.
The other good news is that the walleye fishing is as hot now as any other time I've been out this year!

Jim

Nice! Thanks Jim. So not all gloom and doom out there. I wonder if the Pigeon Lake Watershed Association is making an impact:
http://www.plwa.ca/pages/about
Interesting story as well on how the lake was named.

JimmerAB
08-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Nice! Thanks Jim. So not all gloom and doom out there. I wonder if the Pigeon Lake Watershed Association is making an impact:
http://www.plwa.ca/pages/about
Interesting story as well on how the lake was named.

Wow.....passenger pigeons.....who'da thunk?!

Jim

SNAPFisher
08-30-2018, 07:22 AM

Jim

I was thinking more about the previous name that I didn't know - Woodpecker. Q: "Where you goin?" A: "I'm goin to the Pecker"

fish99
08-31-2018, 07:17 AM

Jim

i have had a lot there for years and never heard that it was called woodpecker lake good history lesson. thanks.