PDA

View Full Version : Pierce Lake Saskatchewan

DJS
07-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Am wondering if anyone has any experience fishing lake trout on Pierce Lake just outside of Pierceland Sask? Taking the family there Aug long weekend. This will be the third time we've been there and I have yet to catch a lake trout. Does a guy absolutely need a down rigger at that time of the year or is there other methods for hooking one of those fish?

Jamie Black R/T
07-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Am wondering if anyone has any experience fishing lake trout on Pierce Lake just outside of Pierceland Sask? Taking the family there Aug long weekend. This will be the third time we've been there and I have yet to catch a lake trout. Does a guy absolutely need a down rigger at that time of the year or is there other methods for hooking one of those fish?

a line counter reel and dipsy divers will get to 90ft with some simple math.

downriggers are way faster and easier but it CAN be done.

Lowrance Fishburn
07-04-2018, 08:18 AM
There are several ways to catch lakers out of Pierce depending on time of year. Its a deep lake so down riggers work excellent but big jigs work as well, you just need to put in time on the water. Average size out of there is about 3-5 lbs but I landed a 20lb laker one may long weekend a few years back.

DJS
07-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys! Will have to look into dipsy divers for sure. I'm guessing in early August the lakers are out pretty deep. As for the jigging method...you use big jigs with rubber tails or bait?

EZM
07-05-2018, 03:36 PM
I fish this lake every year, sometimes a few times a year. Lowrance is 100% correct.

Pierce is deep and the Lakers are often found 60-90 down and a dipsy isn't going to get you there unless you let out so much line, that feeling a light bite becomes impossible (as the average size is, as Lowrance pointed out) in that 4-5 pound range. A downrigger is a far better choice.

You can also jig lakers and do well, but you have to find them. There are some areas with some great structure that always hold lakers on that lake - but 95% of the fish get caught in the tiny 5% of the lake where there is structure and fish.

Trolling along the east shore is a decent area to start as well as the south shore between Howe bay and the campground. Find 60-120 of water and drop your gear where the fish seem to be holding.

Best lures for us have been smaller Williams Wobbler spoons, Flatfish/Kwikfish lures trolled dead slow in August. Like 1.5 to 1.8 mph.

If you are running a Flatfish or Kwikfish put a bead chain up about 48" in front of the lure to prevent line twist and keep it slow.

Best colors are silver when it's bright outside and dark colors like purples or blacks when it's overcast.

Stick to the plan and you will catch fish.

DJS
07-05-2018, 04:47 PM
I fish this lake every year, sometimes a few times a year. Lowrance is 100% correct.

Pierce is deep and the Lakers are often found 60-90 down and a dipsy isn't going to get you there unless you let out so much line, that feeling a light bite becomes impossible (as the average size is, as Lowrance pointed out) in that 4-5 pound range. A downrigger is a far better choice.

You can also jig lakers and do well, but you have to find them. There are some areas with some great structure that always hold lakers on that lake - but 95% of the fish get caught in the tiny 5% of the lake where there is structure and fish.

Trolling along the east shore is a decent area to start as well as the south shore between Howe bay and the campground. Find 60-120 of water and drop your gear where the fish seem to be holding.

Best lures for us have been smaller Williams Wobbler spoons, Flatfish/Kwikfish lures trolled dead slow in August. Like 1.5 to 1.8 mph.

If you are running a Flatfish or Kwikfish put a bead chain up about 48" in front of the lure to prevent line twist and keep it slow.

Best colors are silver when it's bright outside and dark colors like purples or blacks when it's overcast.

Stick to the plan and you will catch fish.

Thanks for the tips!

As good as a downrigger would be I'm having a hard time justifying spending the money on one to use only once or twice in a year. That's my dilemma. I'm leaning towards just sticking to jigging and hopefully it works. Question on jigging then is what is best to use and how? Do you use bait with the lures or no?

Talking moose
07-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Large tube jigs. Start with white. I’ve caught both at cold and pierce with and without bait. Sucker belly works great. If not in possession of any sucker belly strips, use large minnows, smelts, o anchovies.

Talking moose
07-05-2018, 04:58 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180705/c94eb85bf78eeb4d64561eb3c96de153.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180705/869627d9956ae5cd0252a8197a26bc5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockjockey
07-05-2018, 05:59 PM
I have fished Pierce several times in May though and all we did was jig for them. We just got back from north of La Ronge a couple weeks ago and did well on Lakers trolling using 3 oz in line trolling sinkers with blue and silver coyote spoons and wonderbread coyotes running about 3ft behind on 30lbs leader. Lakers were suspended around 40ft down and this rig was getting us down to the fish. I also used a dipsy briefly and it worked but the fight was better with the inline weight.

RJ

Tfng
07-05-2018, 07:30 PM
I’ve spent a lot of time fishing trout at Pierce. From talking to guys at the launch and fish cleaning shack (inspecting their coolers lol) it seems to me that flat lining along the shore lines is far less productive than concentrating on key areas and using downriggers.

Dipseys work but it’s more difficult to work the structure efficiently imo.

-JR-
07-05-2018, 08:02 PM
which camp ground is the best to stay in . are there more that the two .
sandy and the lodge campground.
do any of them reserve

sendmethem
07-06-2018, 08:44 AM
I fish Pierce often and never been skunked.
Fish from 1/2 hour before sun up to a couple hours past and a dozen lakers is the norm.

white tube as mentioned jigging of bottom anywhere >/= 50ft of water anytime of year, structure, flats wherever. Calm days jigging out performs down rigger 6-1. And it only costs $1.50...............................

DJS
07-09-2018, 09:18 AM
Thanks a bunch guys! Looking forward to catching my first laker!