PDA

View Full Version : Kananaskis lakes need restocking

michaelmicallef
07-09-2018, 06:15 AM
This has been the worst year fishing those lake. Fished it 4 times and produced one fish. Barley any fish rising and flies on the surface .Time to make some calls guys and put the pressure on. Their plans for a self sustaining lakes has failed. I will be making some calls today for what it’s worth.

genno
07-09-2018, 07:01 AM
That’s pretty much all the stocked trout lakes in Alberta lately. Way less stocking since the whirling Disease issue came up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex_Z_73
07-09-2018, 07:49 AM
I haven't been on the lakes this year yet, but report shows that 10,027 cutthroats stocked in September 2017...

calgarysledguy
07-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Trolled upper lake for about two hours on Saturday and only caught one decent Bull. Definitely slowed down out there.

fish99
07-09-2018, 08:53 PM
fished lower k on Friday slow day only one fish a bull trout of 8 lbs. lake was flat, only seen one fish jump.

goldscud
07-09-2018, 11:02 PM
Did you fish the Lower lake as well?
The only thing they need to do is to stock the Cutthroats at a larger size so the Bulls don't eat them right away. When they stocked bigger Cutts a number of years ago, many more of those fish made it to maturity. There is a couple of year classes of very large Cutts available

tallieho
07-10-2018, 06:50 AM
I have flies bigger than the stocking in 2017 6.4" .basically bullie food

michaelmicallef
07-10-2018, 07:15 AM
So I did call and spoke with one of the area biologists. She was very receptive and thanked me for my information. I did mananage to convince her that I was not some once a year lure chucked. I know something is up and so do a lot of other people as I was the only one fishing from shore on a Saturday. Not the norm. So they will be looking it to what’s going on a little more closely. I think predation and environmental factors are the cause. There are some little fish in the upper lake as I did get hits from small fish. But it might take some extra work and bigger stocking fish to create better fishing on the K lakes. On a good note my buddy finally caught a couple of cuts and a bull on the lower yesterday. It was his fifth time out since ice out and yesterday was the first time he even got bites. He’s no amateurs either.

walleyechaser
07-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Seems to me alberta is hurting more and more every year. Walleye fishing is showing it too.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

TROLLER
07-10-2018, 11:24 AM
he Kananaskis Lakes are beautiful, clear lakes in a striking setting of towering, ice-capped mountains. Located along the continental divide, there are numerous peaks over 3,000 m, many with glaciers, within 10 km of the lakes. The area can be reached from the city of Calgary by travelling 80 km west on Highway 1, then 56 km south on Highway 40 to Peter Lougheed Provincial Park

Now that you have copied and pasted what does it have to do with the stocking of fish:thinking-006:

michaelmicallef
07-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Make some calls guys. If things are not rite let them know. I spoke with lots of guys at K lakes and everyone had the same opinion. Fishing was crappy. But I was the only ine to call. I fish those lakes at least 10 times a year and see the same guys out there. Everyone bitchs but no one makes any calls. We pay a lot of money and where told an increase in licensing was going towards increased fishing opportunities. Speak up!

Penner
07-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Thought one thing that may have come out of a elected NDP provincial government would have been an enhancement of SRD, but it’s more of the same old same old.

Red Bullets
07-10-2018, 01:40 PM
After reading the thread I went online and found this report about the lower Kananaskis Lake fish. An older report but good info about populations and movement up to then. Some good info. I wonder if it has changed that much in 18 years.

It looks like the lake has had low catch rates for a while. From April 2000 to March 2001 about 60 participating anglers recorded 204 angler hours and in that year only 41 fish were caught by those anglers. 21 bulls, 13 cutthroat & 7 rainbows. That works out to one fish every 5 hours. 1 bull trout every 10 hours.

For those interested...
http://www.ab-conservation.com/downloads/report_series/population_dynamics_of_the_lower_kananaskis_lake_b ull_trout_final_report_1995-2000.pdf

Coloapnosis
07-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Can confirm. Thought it was just me but glad there are others who have noticed too. Fishing is so slow this season not just in Kananaskis but every lake in Alberta it seems. Have been to several lakes and have yet to catch a trout. Whereas I did extremely well last season. Starting to doubt if the posted stocks were accurate. Was at Blood Indian Reservoir this weekend, five rods lined the shore around my camping area, all five of us didn't catch a single trout. 2 tiny carps and that was it.

Texican
07-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Thought one thing that may have come out of a elected NDP provincial government would have been an enhancement of SRD, but it’s more of the same old same old.

The ministers may change but it's still the same bureaucrats.

CNP
07-10-2018, 07:47 PM

????? Well it hasn't been called SRD for quite a while now and I don't know why you're of the opinion that the NDP would throw their weight behind hunters/anglers/trappers? The only enhancement that has been going on is limiting human activity on public lands by creating parks and PLUZ's.

goldscud
07-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Most of the mature Cutts are just finishing up there spawning rituals. Fish often seem to disappear while their body's recover from the big hormone changes. They will show up again. There is still a very good population of bulls in Lower Kan. This year I saw the greatest number of juveniles I have ever seen in 30 years. As the water rises and warms the fish move to different parts of the lakes.

ssyd
07-10-2018, 10:38 PM
Now that you have copied and pasted what does it have to do with the stocking of fish:thinking-006:

It's a bot.

tallieho
07-11-2018, 06:57 AM
Also to be fair.The hatcheries are in repair mode.Sam Livingston,is closed for major upgrade.Raven River hatchery,is in total rebuild ,when they have the money to repair it.
They only stock cut throat in the K.lakes,in the fall.They don't stock rainbow,if you do catch one.It is a natural reproducer,from lineage of 20 yrs ago..

RavYak
07-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Low numbers = big fish. I do agree that it could use a boost but don’t want them to go overboard either.

Penner
07-13-2018, 07:50 AM
The ministers may change but it's still the same bureaucrats.

????? Well it hasn't been called SRD for quite a while now and I don't know why you're of the opinion that the NDP would throw their weight behind hunters/anglers/trappers? The only enhancement that has been going on is limiting human activity on public lands by creating parks and PLUZ's.

I totally agree on both counts. I was of the belief that NDP types were traditionally tree hugging, animal loving, land protecting, anti-business like folk thus figured they might provide more budget to SRD to protect/enhance our resources with more CO's, Enforcement, Public/Landowner Education, Impact Assessments, Habitat Rehabilitation, Industry Partnerships, Reclamation Projects, and such. Closures other than the cost of placing signs and barriers doesn't cost squat. Humm, perhaps I assumed wrong.

3.5 painful years later, I'm just sitting here wondering when we are going to see any benefits from all of that money they are borrowing/spending on our behalf. I guess light bulbs are now way cheaper.

lastlatvian
07-13-2018, 08:37 AM
I totally agree on both counts. I was of the belief that NDP types were traditionally tree hugging, animal loving, land protecting, anti-business like folk thus figured they might provide more budget to SRD to protect/enhance our resources with more CO's, Enforcement, Public/Landowner Education, Impact Assessments, Habitat Rehabilitation, Industry Partnerships, Reclamation Projects, and such. Closures other than the cost of placing signs and barriers doesn't cost squat. Humm, perhaps I assumed wrong.

3.5 painful years later, I'm just sitting here wondering when we are going to see any benefits from all of that money they are borrowing/spending on our behalf. I guess light bulbs are now way cheaper.

This isn't a "3.5 painful year" problem, there has been a funding issue with the last million years of conservatism as well for wild life management in Alberta. I suggest instead of "sitting around," you make a effort to inform you political representatives you want change in these areas.

The issue is as more Albertans moves to urban centres and cities rural/outdoor lifestyles political considerations diminish regardless of party -- this is a numbers problem not a political party one.

Writing loaded questions about light-bulbs that save a ton of money and are more sustainable for the environment you appear to enjoy is plain stupid. If you look at the current agenda (last 20 years in Alberta/Canada) of the right in terms of sustainability of wild life management they've scraped tons of protectionary acts, departments and taken away land access i.e. oil companies getting private roads and land permissions.

The theory that the right wing is the outdoorsmens friend is a false fallacy. They're run by money just like the left, if you believe otherwise you're buying the propaganda (bull****) they're selling.

Bemoredog
07-13-2018, 10:19 AM
Apologies for the hijack: but what happened to the Raven Brood station? They used to have a facebook and it has since gone offline. Was always curious what went down....

smitty9
07-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Apologies for the hijack: but what happened to the Raven Brood station? They used to have a facebook and it has since gone offline. Was always curious what went down....

Lol. Not a hijack. You're trying to get the thread back on track after some "political analysis". :)

Most recent info I found was here:

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/2017/09/26/trout-station-does-the-release-and-anglers-do-the-catching/

WayneChristie
07-13-2018, 10:27 AM
maybe you need to fish harder? :) always a cry of no fish when someone has a bad day. so many factors to fishing, sometimes numbers has nothing to do with catch rates. JMO cant catch huge numbers every time, or even fish every time. doesnt necessarily mean the numbers are down!!!

tallieho
07-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Lol. Not a hijack. You're trying to get the thread back on track after some "political analysis". :)

Most recent info I found was here:

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/2017/09/26/trout-station-does-the-release-and-anglers-do-the-catching/ Very good info ,here thank-you..Since 1925 it's been in operation.WOW..Needs an upgrade very badly...

michaelmicallef
07-15-2018, 10:20 PM
maybe you need to fish harder? :) always a cry of no fish when someone has a bad day. so many factors to fishing, sometimes numbers has nothing to do with catch rates. JMO cant catch huge numbers every time, or even fish every time. doesnt necessarily mean the numbers are down!!!

Please , I have been out the five times this year . I got one fish . This is not normal. And it’s not just me noticing this. I will give it another try later this year. But 6 fish in a day is normal . One in 5 is messed up. Anyhow if I don’t complain then I’ll be a bigger loser. Went to the Reddeer river and fished for Goldeye for the first time of in my life.

RavYak
07-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Please , I have been out the five times this year . I got one fish . This is not normal. And it’s not just me noticing this. I will give it another try later this year. But 6 fish in a day is normal . One in 5 is messed up. Anyhow if I don’t complain then I’ll be a bigger loser. Went to the Reddeer river and fished for Goldeye for the first time of in my life.

1 fish in 5 days means you need to change things up. I was down there earlier this year and it was slow but I still got 5 bulls in 2 days and buddy got around the same. No luck with the cutties or rainbows though.

michaelmicallef
07-16-2018, 06:37 AM
1 fish in 5 days means you need to change things up. I was down there earlier this year and it was slow but I still got 5 bulls in 2 days and buddy got around the same. No luck with the cutties or rainbows though.

You just said it yourself. It’s the cuts I’m concerned about. And rainbows are just about extinct in the lower lake anyways. The bulls are the provincial pet project. Maybe I should be content with the view I guess.

michaelmicallef
07-16-2018, 08:44 AM
I can also add I’m not basing my opinions on my poor catch rate. Anyways I hope it’s just me.maybe I’m losing my touch!

SNAPFisher
07-16-2018, 09:16 AM
I echo the earlier comment, stock it several times. If there are certain popular ponds/lakes that have great access for all, why not. My advice is to send an email or message to have this particular lake looked at for more than one stocking.

icefever
07-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Fished the lower lake last week and had a great time I got a 26" rainbow, my buddy got one about 28". I also got 4 nice cutthroat. If I can get the pics off my phone I will try and post. They have finished their spawn and will need a little time to get back on the bite again. Seen schools of 10-15 cutty's swimming around after spawn but they were not interested at that time.

Coloapnosis
07-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Sent an e-mail to AEP and got a reply. As mentioned (not by me) previously on this thread, it was the Sam Livingston hatchery being unoperational that they were stocking as low as 30% of what they usually do. They will be up and stocking as normal soon is what they said.

michaelmicallef
07-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Fished the lower lake last week and had a great time I got a 26" rainbow, my buddy got one about 28". I also got 4 nice cutthroat. If I can get the pics off my phone I will try and post. They have finished their spawn and will need a little time to get back on the bite again. Seen schools of 10-15 cutty's swimming around after spawn but they were not interested at that time.

That’s encouraging. Did you fish from shore?

icefever
07-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Used my pontoon boat to go out

Little fish 89
07-21-2018, 01:36 PM
I would say the same thing fishing was poor, the last time I was out was for 3 days about a week ago. Caught a couple cutties and a rainbow. Not worth the trip for me anymore. All caught from the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppa
01-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Anyone been out to K-Country? How's the ice out that way? Any fishing reports? Thanks in advance! :)

Fishing4Trophies
01-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Anyone been out to K-Country? How's the ice out that way? Any fishing reports? Thanks in advance! :)

Good foot of ice, slow fishing some days but great the next. Be looking for water in the 70 foot range, remember there is a bait ban on the lake.

Poppa
01-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Good foot of ice, slow fishing some days but great the next. Be looking for water in the 70 foot range, remember there is a bait ban on the lake.

I was watching a vid that one of the Konrad twins did at Kananaskis, and he had a dead-stick in a jaw-jacker set up for Cutties.....but I'm confused......what does a guy put on a dead stick, if no bait..?

JReed
01-03-2019, 04:21 PM
I was watching a vid that one of the Konrad twins did at Kananaskis, and he had a dead-stick in a jaw-jacker set up for Cutties.....but I'm confused......what does a guy put on a dead stick, if no bait..?

Wire worms would work deadsticked, I've caught rainbows with a wire worm dangling from a jaw jacker. They didn't even inspect it, just hit it with reckless abandon

Poppa
01-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Very interesting! Thanks for the info...that makes sense! I'm really excited to learn all about fishing K-Country...

Ppb
01-03-2019, 06:54 PM
If you think outside the box a little and tie on a nymph, chronomid or balanced leech pattern under a jaw jacker you may be surprised how effective they can be on all trout species.

Poppa
01-03-2019, 08:58 PM
If you think outside the box a little and tie on a nymph, chronomid or balanced leech pattern under a jaw jacker you may be surprised how effective they can be on all trout species.Really interesting... So just have a set up like: mainline to weight, line from weight to swivel, line from swivel to fly...?

Ppb
01-03-2019, 09:29 PM
My set up usually goes main line to swivel, leader to first fly(usually a nymph pattern) tied so it sits horizontal in the water then leader to balanced leach pattern or chronomid pattern. For added weight I use some split shot up above the swivel.
This setup has worked well for me on many different trout lakes. You’d be surprised how big trout will easily take a size 16 nymph or chronomid pattern just because it’s there.

Poppa
01-08-2019, 11:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMF8wStnF6c

Brand new today from the one of the Konrad twins. Not sure if Upper or Lower, but they had a decent day, anyhow.

I'm heading out next weekend to give 'er a run...trying to learn as much as I can before I go.

Sharpie
01-14-2019, 09:23 AM
C/O's were out on Sunday. I wasn't there but buddy said he got a warning for dog off leash on the ice. When they moved to try a new spot apparently they let the dog off the leash again. Officer came back and fined him $115 haha