PDA

View Full Version : Elkwater from shore?

Melabee
07-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Hi All,

I'm heading down to Cyprus Hills this weekend and was wondering if shore fishing has any chance of a catch or if I'm wasting my time without a boat? Are there any streams or small rivers nearby I should try instead?

Thanks!

cdkeim
07-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Just got back from camping out at Elkwater. Lots of people fish from shore for small pike. Not sure how successful they are. I havent seen anyone catch one, and all the fish I have caught there has been from a boat. Reesor lake, which is about 20 mins away, has decent shore fishing for rainbows, but can be pretty busy at times during the summer. I havent tried fishing any of the local streams so I am no help there. Good Luck!

huntsfurfish
07-16-2018, 07:00 PM
Michelle reservoir and Bullshead reservoir just a little west of Elkwater and Spruce coulee and Reesor just a little east of Elkwater. Special regs on Bullshead.

Melabee
07-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Cheers! Thanks for the info - I'll definitely be checking out Reesor's :)

pikergolf
07-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Trout lakes in SE Ab. winter killed this year. Tough to even get a bite for trout. Elkwater has stunted pike, if you are willing to walk I'd bet you could get some pike from shore.

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-services/maps/prairies-area-bathymetry-maps/documents/ElkwaterLakeColourBathymetryMap-2004.pdf