PDA

View Full Version : Rock Lake - Hinton area

myhippocket1
07-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Hi all,
I am planning to be camping in the Hinton area in the next couple weeks. I had a couple questions about Rock Lake. Is the lake fishable from shore? I'd prefer to bring my fly rod but have never been there and was wondering about back casting room etc. If the weather/roads are ok I might make a day trip out there and check it out.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Hip

mikeym
07-24-2018, 08:39 AM
been quite a few years since i was there, but the little oultlet stream was a blast to fish for rockies. also the Wildhay is right there and fun to fish also.

as for the lake fishing from shore would be no problem, just that i don't know how good you will do flyfishing as it is a big deep lake and most of the fish will be out from shore. the streams and rivers would be a lot better for flyfishing then the lake from shore.

good luck
Mike

ponokajoe
07-24-2018, 11:20 AM
On the road to Rock Lake you will cross Mumm creek. There probably will be no water in the creek,almost all ways dry. However if you hike downstream about a mile or so, you will hit the Wild Hay. Right there used to be a big hole that was always good for rainbow ,bull or two. almost always the pool was lined with rockies. Some 2-3 lbs. Lots off them. Never fished it in the fall because the campsite and road in there filled up will wall to wall hunters. There used to be some old beaver dams about a half mile downstream. (these were old in the early eighties so no idea if they are still there)

Red Bullets
07-24-2018, 07:08 PM
I think there still is a F&W ranger stationed right by the lake. He or she should be able to give you some ideas on fishing from shore too. Last time I was camping there a sow grizzly and her cubs decided to visit the camping area so the warden came around and let everyone know individually. Never saw the bears but it did make for alert camping.

An online depth map shows the shoreline dropping off just to the south of the campground on the west side of the lake. The east side of the lake drops off quicker too. I've only fished from a canoe there and did catch a few trout.