PDA

View Full Version : Canning fish ???

raw outdoors
07-23-2018, 08:30 PM
So I am planning on trying to can my own fish in small 250lm Masson jars. I am going to start out with some small trout and salmon maybe later try whitefish or suckers. If anyone has any experiences doing this?
Do you try remove the skales of the fish like trout?
Do you try get the bones out?
I’m guessing you take skin off suckers/ whitefish?
Any help will be appreciated
Your favourite spices or recipe would be awesome

Sitkaspruce
07-23-2018, 09:25 PM
I cut in chunks, pack in the jars, skin and bones included, pack tight, run spatula blade around the inside of the jars to help with packing. 1/4 teaspoon salt, seal and can.

Bones are dissolved and skin also adds oil to the fish. Remove skin for rough scaled fish like cod, suckers etc.

We have tried curry, red chilli flakes, garlic and herbs and although there is some flavour, it is better to add after canned and when ready to eat.

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN SO WHEN YOU FIND WHAT YOU LIKE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRY AND REMEMBER...…

Cheers

SS

Red Bullets
07-23-2018, 11:38 PM
Earlier I posted a recipe for pickled pike on another thread. This recipe would work with any firm fleshed fish. In a 5 or 6 day process you can be eating home pickled fish. Will keep for a month in the fridge. No need to 'can'.

Post #8 on this thread.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348345

Bushleague
07-24-2018, 12:24 AM
I cut in chunks, pack in the jars, skin and bones included, pack tight, run spatula blade around the inside of the jars to help with packing. 1/4 teaspoon salt, seal and can.

Bones are dissolved and skin also adds oil to the fish. Remove skin for rough scaled fish like cod, suckers etc.

We have tried curry, red chilli flakes, garlic and herbs and although there is some flavour, it is better to add after canned and when ready to eat.

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN SO WHEN YOU FIND WHAT YOU LIKE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRY AND REMEMBER...…

Cheers

SS

We've used liquid smoke, as well as lemon pepper for flavor. Both taste good.

WildCats
07-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Exactly this, except I use a 50/50 kosher salt and brown sugar with salmon. Looks like hell, eats like candy.

WC

Cheers

SS

gopher67
07-24-2018, 07:14 AM
I add the same amount of vinegar it great AND SALT 1 TEASPOON OF EACH AND PUT IN PRESSURE CANNER FOR 90 MIN. IN PINT JARS

bigbear2
07-24-2018, 12:17 PM
My experience with salmon and lake trout, pressure can only, remove skin, leave bones in, pack jars to 1/2 inch from top, add 1 tsp white vinegar an 1/8 tsp salt (low sodium diet). Process as per canner instructions. Any and all additions can be added later. Excellent for burgers, casserole, loaves etc. Good addition before eating is Worcestershire or liquid smoke, onion, garlic or anything your pallet likes. Worked for me for 40 years. Good luck with your canning.